What's Up With The Thai Baht?

When someone says 'assuming this' , 'assuming that' it is really worthless unless accompanied by something along the lines of 'I am therefore recommending taking the position of covering yourself by buying x,y,z'. The trouble with the 'assuming (enter apocalyptic event here)' statements is that they are often a coy cover for the gold bugs who are trying to pull the thread in a particular direction.

Not worrying about assuming what you will post and the spirit it will posted Yoshi, you will always post a statement that does not tie you down one way or the other on anything of even minimum importance except to give your thoughts about how gold bugs are the worst scum to slither the face of the earth.

there are goldbugs and there are goldbugs Th-Bound.

-reasonable people who hold gold in high esteem,

-naïve ignorants who take anything they read or hear at face value,

-plain stupid ones who aren't able to make a simple realistic financial judgment,

-poor ones who hope that the value of <insert number> ounces they own will skyrocket and make them rich,

-scum which bends the truth, spreads blatant lies and insults anybody who does not agree with the ridiculous gospel they spread.

Which of the 5 possibilities are you Naam?

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

-plain stupid ones who aren't able to make a simple realistic financial judgment,

-poor ones who hope that the value of <insert number> ounces they own will skyrocket and make them rich,

-scum which bends the truth, spreads blatant lies and insults anybody who does not agree with the ridiculous gospel they spread.

i don't fit into any of these classifications. but i think two of my postings in "Where' Gold going..." are self-explanatory.

Naam posted 2010-11-14 - "for the benefit of those TV-members who are looking for information i consider it my duty to point out flaws, incorrect facts and/or assumptions as well as wishy-washy or outright ridiculous claims.

disclaimer: i (actually "we") hold a substantial amount of physical, paper and 'mining' gold and after the 2009 mother load of investment opportunities (which are gone now) i see fair value in holding a certain percentage of gold because we are facing an uncertain future. but the afore-mentioned does not prevent that i keep on acting as 'advocatus diaboli' in this thread as a counterweight of goldbugs who float on cloud nine."

http://www.thaivisa....60#entry4021260

Naam, on 2011-11-19 16:35:43, said: friendly reminder:

disclaimer update: presently we hold neither paper nor mining gold, physical only.

http://www.thaivisa....25#entry4858141

i don't fit into any of these classifications. but i think two of my postings in "Where' Gold going..." are self-explanatory.

Naam posted 2010-11-14 - "for the benefit of those TV-members who are looking for information i consider it my duty to point out flaws, incorrect facts and/or assumptions as well as wishy-washy or outright ridiculous claims.

disclaimer: i (actually "we") hold a substantial amount of physical, paper and 'mining' gold and after the 2009 mother load of investment opportunities (which are gone now) i see fair value in holding a certain percentage of gold because we are facing an uncertain future. but the afore-mentioned does not prevent that i keep on acting as 'advocatus diaboli' in this thread as a counterweight of goldbugs who float on cloud nine."

http://www.thaivisa....60#entry4021260

Naam, on 2011-11-19 16:35:43, said: friendly reminder:

disclaimer update: presently we hold neither paper nor mining gold, physical only.

http://www.thaivisa....25#entry4858141

So in Nov. 2010 you speak of uncertain times and now a little over 3 years later,what is your opinion comparing the times then and now? Are the times still uncertain as you beleived them to be in 2010, they improved or are they worse than 2010?

Edited by Thailand Bound

So in Nov. 2010 you speak of uncertain times and now a little over 3 years later,what is your opinion comparing the times then and now? Are the times still uncertain as you beleived them to be in 2010, they improved or are they worse than 2010?

2008 and a number of "incidences" in subsequent years clearly indicate that we live in "uncertain times". that's why i consider it prudent that everybody is doing his/her best to prepare for times should "uncertainty" change to a clearly negative "certainty". how this is done, assuming it can be done, depends on individual perspectives and opinions, possibilities to diversify in different asset classes and geographical areas (countries) and last not least on available financial means.

the actual difference between "then and now" is that investors have been granted a breather which the clever ones have used and are still using to make "hay while the sun shines" whereas those who believe in a global Armageddon are wasting their time at various wailing walls.

interesting 3 'I' rule:

1. innovators

2. imitators

3. idiots

My personal feeling is many are in the 3rd category as far as gold (silver/other past investments) is (are) concerned... please show me otherwise.

Edited by hopdafru

interesting 3 'I' rule:

1. innovators

2. imitators

3. idiots

My personal feeling is many are in the 3rd category as far as gold (silver/other past investments) is (are) concerned... please show me otherwise.

Almost all assets are well over inflated by all the money and debt sloshing about in the system. The people feeling like no.3 after the crash will be the ones who didn't invest in anything physical.

interesting 3 'I' rule:

1. innovators

2. imitators

3. idiots

Almost all assets are well over inflated by all the money and debt sloshing about in the system. The people feeling like no.3 after the crash will be the ones who didn't invest in anything physical.

a claim based exclusively on the assumption that the stated points apply to all countries and that a "crash" will happen overnight.

interesting 3 'I' rule:

1. innovators

2. imitators

3. idiots

An official Mad Max public announcement.

have started to watch this series on the fall of america, quite interesting and in my view plausible as with so much national debt people holding USD will (are?) soon try to 'get rid' of them - I wonder in exchange for what... other currencies? (which ones?) land / businesses in Asia? (I'm still not sure about gold being the top/best investment)

https://www.youtube....h?v=-DHmgM2MmFo

Assuming the USD will fall significantly in value, how would such a scenario affect the THB? (and other SEA currencies such as kip which seems pegged to the USD?)

I guess you should ask the largest holder of US debt outside of the USA.

They're on holiday at the moment.

Gong Xi Fa Cai.

Fletch

smile.png

Now Chinese New Year is over, you can ask the Chinese their views on US debt :)

Don't forget though the list above was the major foreign holders of US treasuries. The picture isn't really complete without the context of the US/domestic holders of US treasuries :)

Also don't forget what the FED is holding on its balance sheet in terms of assets :)

Yes USD long term will continue to weaken, and currencies like THB will benefit long term, but the USD isn't going to disappear overnight - despite what gold bugs, and scare mongerers would have you believe in order to peddle their own financial products or solutions, or politicians quote for their own agendas :)

• Like 1

have started to watch this series on the fall of america, quite interesting and in my view plausible as with so much national debt people holding USD will (are?) soon try to 'get rid' of them - I wonder in exchange for what... other currencies? (which ones?) land / businesses in Asia? (I'm still not sure about gold being the top/best investment) https://www.youtube....h?v=-DHmgM2MmFo Assuming the USD will fall significantly in value, how would such a scenario affect the THB? (and other SEA currencies such as kip which seems pegged to the USD?)
I guess you should ask the largest holder of US debt outside of the USA.
They're on holiday at the moment. Gong Xi Fa Cai. Fletch smile.png
Now Chinese New Year is over, you can ask the Chinese their views on US debt :) Don't forget though the list above was the major foreign holders of US treasuries. The picture isn't really complete without the context of the US/domestic holders of US treasuries :) Also don't forget what the FED is holding on its balance sheet in terms of assets :) Yes USD long term will continue to weaken, and currencies like THB will benefit long term, but the USD isn't going to disappear overnight - despite what gold bugs, and scare mongerers would have you believe in order to peddle their own financial products or solutions, or politicians quote for their own agendas :)

I believe what you say is sensible ... however, the actions of the U.S. Treasury and Federal Reserve over the last several years have been and continue to be reckless and even dangerous ... the situation could get out of control - because their hubris knows no bounds...

And what percent does US dollar fluctuations effect the Thai baht?

Mr. CMKelly... you pose this type of question all the time - as if all currencies in the world do not react to the world reserve currency - the USD. There is no exact percentage change to be predicted on any given day. But as all currencies, the Thai Baht will react to the condition of the Reserve currency in any period of time. As I have referenced before - the Thai Baht took a hit in the late 1990's when it was pegged to the USD. What happens to the Reserve currency which the Thai Baht now floats against will cause the Thai Baht to rise or fall in value. When the USD is handled in a reckless and dangerous manner with montization of the U.S. Debt along with unbridled 'Quanitative Easing" and with unrestricted U.S. Government spending - something will give and will likely turn out badly - it is just a matter of time...

http://www.moneynews.com/StreetTalk/Jim-Rogers-Fed-printing-money/2013/02/14/id/490488?s=al&promo_code=12767-1

Edited by JDGRUEN

Relative to its size, Thailand has big deficits, and it also prints money to pay bills. I know some think that Thailand's economy is booming and that it has "no" unemployment and no debt and... Link

I personally know three Thais who were laid off work last week in Udonthani because of the increase in the minimum wage. I don't think we've begun to see the fallout from that. I think it will also affect decisions of multi-nationals to expand into Thailand because wages and other costs are now cheaper elsewhere.

Let's see how this all washes out. Thailand has a habit of borrowing money, or setting aside budget money for something and then spending it on something else. Look at the money earmarked for flood damage that got siphoned off.

I believe, and don't ask anyone to agree with me, that Thailand is way overbuilt in housing, that real estate has skyrocketed into a bubble, and that the new minimum wage will actually be the straw the breaks the camel's back.

Housing, land, medical care, food - it's all rising which means the Baht buys less.

Inflation is just another term for deflation of the value of money. If it takes more baht to buy something then the baht is worth less.

If the West wasn't being so imprudent with currencies, I'd hold a belief about the future of the baht. As it is, I'm just sitting back and watching. Something out there is unsustainable. Maybe many things.

I know I am responding to this a little late, but.

Are you writing about Thailand, or, the United States???? biggrin.png

Mr. CMKelly... you pose this type of question all the time - as if all currencies in the world do not react to the world reserve currency - the USD. There is no exact percentage change to be predicted on any given day. But as all currencies, the Thai Baht will react to the condition of the Reserve currency in any period of time. As I have referenced before - the Thai Baht took a hit in the late 1990's when it was pegged to the USD. What happens to the Reserve currency which the Thai Baht now floats against will cause the Thai Baht to rise or fall in value. When the USD is handled in a reckless and dangerous manner with montization of the U.S. Debt along with unbridled 'Quanitative Easing" and with unrestricted U.S. Government spending - something will give and will likely turn out badly - it is just a matter of time...

http://www.moneynews...mo_code=12767-1

Everything is just a matter of time, so an empty reference. And that article from Jim Rogers? A thinly disguised gold bug play.

Everything is just a matter of time, so an empty reference. And that article from Jim Rogers? A thinly disguised gold bug play.

Jim Rogers is but one of many who have similar opinions and the motivations for sharing this similar opinion are quite varied. What is going on around the world and has been going on for several years now relative to currencies is unsustainable. To believe that this unprecedented behavior of printing unsupported money (or issuing unsupported electronic currency assets) in Europe and the U.S.A. - (unprecedented in depth and degree) is sustainable adn will not have an effect on the Thai Baht and most other currencies is sheer folly. Pensioners (and I am one) should take heed - the consequences of irresponsible countries may be of an order of magnitude not yet experienced. Wishful thinking and denial will not change the outcome.

Edited by JDGRUEN

Jim Rogers is but one of many who have similar opinions and the motivations for sharing this similar opinion are quite varied. What is going on around the world and has been going on for several years now relative to currencies is unsustainable. To believe that this unprecedented behavior of printing unsupported money (or issuing unsupported electronic currency assets) in Europe and the U.S.A. - (unprecedented in depth and degree) is sustainable adn will not have an effect on the Thai Baht and most other currencies is sheer folly. Pensioners (and I am one) should take heed - the consequences of irresponsible countries may be of an order of magnitude not yet experienced. Wishful thinking and denial will not change the outcome.

That of course wouldn't include the gold bugs where gold has lost over 16% since its peak. Throw in loss of interest PLUS decline of the $ against the baht and we have a loss north of 20%. Gold bugs living in a dream world of their own.

i think thailand has been taking notice of what china has done by keeping their currency under-valued and are reeling the rewards,but as there is a lacking of whats upstairs[brains]they seem to get it wrong.

So the reverse can be said of the people who own the US dollar and GB pound? biggrin.png

I guess I'll take the dumb rich folks. And all of you smart poor people can laugh at me and tell me I have no brains.cheesy.gif

That of course wouldn't include the gold bugs where gold has lost over 16% since its peak. Throw in loss of interest PLUS decline of the $ against the baht and we have a loss north of 20%. Gold bugs living in a dream world of their own.

A loss of 20% compared to what and when? Gold against gold......ha ha ha

OK you like pounding the US that's cool. The fact is currently the Thai baht is not pegged to the USD. Deal with the Thai baht as that's the topic. US dollar is only a part of the issue. You make it sound like the USD is the issue and it's not. Maybe 10% or 30% but certainly not even half. Deal with reality. It's easy to bash the US. Give us some real information about the baht instead for a change.

PS. I'm not saying don't discuss the USD but put it in perspective with the other factors that effect the movement of the baht and don't only concentrate on the US.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

OK you like pounding the US that's cool. The fact is currently the Thai baht is not pegged to the USD. Deal with the Thai baht as that's the topic. US dollar is only a part of the issue. You make it sound like the USD is the issue and it's not. Maybe 10% or 30% but certainly not even half. Deal with reality. It's easy to bash the US. Give us some real information about the baht instead for a change.

I think he was thinking within the narrow confines of a Thai - US currency relationship, as if those were the only two currencies in the world. perhaps for many of our fellow posters, that's the case. And of course, remembering that many of our currencies are tied to the US dollar, so that our cash reserves are being eroded just as the US Social Security surplus is being devalued. It is a welcome reminder that money has no real value, and unlike gold, can't be used for filling your teeth. Anyone that keeps their money in cash needs their head examined, in my opinion - the most fickle of assets.

Anyway, whatever was happening with the Thai Baht, it seems to have stopped. In January, it gained about 4 - 5% against the ringgit, while since the beginning of February it has lost a fraction of a percent.

I don't think there's anything to get one's knickers in a twist over, and certainly no reason to be rushing to the hills or stocking up on shotgun cartridges and snarewire

SC

EDIT: It seems that the THB and Euro were marching more or less in step this month, and there is no sharp rise in the value of the baht against the Euro at the end of last month. But,like the weather and the identify of the video referee, I don't like to engage in speculation.

Edited by StreetCowboy

SC

EDIT: It seems that the THB and Euro were marching more or less in step this month, and there is no sharp rise in the value of the baht against the Euro at the end of last month. But,like the weather and the identify of the video referee, I don't like to engage in speculation.

That's interesting:

The EURTHB varied little in the past 6 months (1EUR about 38-40THB - ie 5%) relative to EURUSD (1EUR about 1.23-1.36 ie 10%)

Would that mean that the EUR is generally more stable / solid in relation to the THB? - ie better to carry than USD?

Also I heard one can now buy CNY (Chinese Yuan?), would that be 'worth it' for someone carrying cash and not wanting to get into stock/gold? (I understand carrying cash is not necessarily the smartest thing but I do intend to buy assets such as land / business)

SC

That's interesting:

The EURTHB varied little in the past 6 months (1EUR about 38-40THB - ie 5%) relative to EURUSD (1EUR about 1.23-1.36 ie 10%)

Would that mean that the EUR is generally more stable / solid in relation to the THB? - ie better to carry than USD?

Also I heard one can now buy CNY (Chinese Yuan?), would that be 'worth it' for someone carrying cash and not wanting to get into stock/gold? (I understand carrying cash is not necessarily the smartest thing but I do intend to buy assets such as land / business)

Buy land in Thailand? Are you Thai?

SC

That's interesting:

In Laos, where it's actually allowed (within certain limits).

SC

That's interesting:

In Laos, where it's actually allowed (within certain limits).

Can you briefly tell me about this please?

PS. I'm not saying don't discuss the USD but put it in perspective with the other factors that effect the movement of the baht and don't only concentrate on the US.

I am sorry you do not seem to understand that the Baht and most all other currencies are either 'pegged' to or 'float' against the USD (the World's Reserve Currency). The Thai Baht is not currently 'pegged' to the USD - it 'Floats' against the value of the USD. "Pegged and Float" are not the same thing. And as a result the ups and downs of the USD can and will have an effect on the Thai Baht. You can pretend that it doesn't but that is up to you. Don't take my word for it ... go study the matter a little and get educated.

I am sorry you do not seem to understand that the Baht and most all other currencies are either 'pegged' to or 'float' against the USD (the World's Reserve Currency). The Thai Baht is not currently 'pegged' to the USD - it 'Floats' against the value of the USD. "Pegged and Float" are not the same thing. And as a result the ups and downs of the USD can and will have an effect on the Thai Baht. You can pretend that it doesn't but that is up to you. Don't take my word for it ... go study the matter a little and get educated.

My point was the baht floats against all currencies not just the USD which you seem hung up on. I believe there are only 17 out of 196 countries pegged to the USD.