Best Bike For 6 Foot 82Kg Me + Wife = Road Trip.

AllanB

yep, anyone buying this bike would be quids in. It's just sitting in his garage doing nothing now, so is going to go to waste if someone doesn't take it off his hands. Nice clean little bike for someone...

Where abouts are you in the country?

I had a look on the internet, the Virago seems to be a little lighter and easier to handle than the Steed so that is a plus and very torquey too, just what you need on hills.

I went to Pai the other side of Chiang Mai earlier this week 730 bends in 96km, I believe, went in the truck, so not the best, thought about a bike all the way there and back. Whether i could ride the 700km to get there is another question, but lots of bikers on the roads around CM.

The Virago looks a lot more bike than the Phantom and my mate has a Steed, so a kindred spirit here.

I live in Chaiyaphum mate, but the bike is in Nong Bua Lam Phu, which is maybe about an hour from Udon Thani...

Yep, some nice roads in and around Chiang Mai right enough... you could go all day long there just popping from one little spot to the next.... nice biggrin.png

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yep, anyone buying this bike would be quids in. It's just sitting in his garage doing nothing now, so is going to go to waste if someone doesn't take it off his hands. Nice clean little bike for someone...

I had a look on the internet, the Virago seems to be a little lighter and easier to handle than the Steed so that is a plus and very torquey too, just what you need on hills.

I went to Pai the other side of Chiang Mai earlier this week 730 bends in 96km, I believe, went in the truck, so not the best, thought about a bike all the way there and back. Whether i could ride the 700km to get there is another question, but lots of bikers on the roads around CM.

The Virago looks a lot more bike than the Phantom and my mate has a Steed, so a kindred spirit here.

I live in Chaiyaphum mate, but the bike is in Nong Bua Lam Phu, which is maybe about an hour from Udon Thani...

Yep, some nice roads in and around Chiang Mai right enough... you could go all day long there just popping from one little spot to the next.... nice biggrin.png

Any pictures/details?

Why are you selling it?

What price?

Any pictures/details?

Why are you selling it?

What price?

Its not my bike mate, it belongs to a friend of mine and he stays up in Nong Bua Lam Phu - I just mentioned it on here that i knew of one as it sounded like the sort of thing you were after. He's selling it because he has too many bikes (I'm not sure if those are his words or his wife's whistling.gif ) but he injured his back quite seriously a few months back, so it doesn't get used much, and old school biker that he is, he reckons its a waste of a good bike just sitting there. As I said, he's looking for 85K for it and it comes with all required documents including green book.

I'm in Iraq at work just now mate, but I'll get hold of him and hook you both up and I'm sure he'll send you as many pix of it as you want. It's a nice clean bike at a good price mate and he wont mess you around - he's a toff. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I know a bloke up in Nong Bua Lam Phu with a 400 custom - I think its a Virago - nice clean bike, well maintained, all the necessary docs inc green book and he's lookin around 85k for it. Might be worth a look if you're in the area..? thumbsup.gif

Now that sounds promising. Terrific medium sized bike those Virago's. I thought they came in 250 and 535. 400 too, ay!

250, 535, 750, and 1100. I bet the 400 is a Steed with a Virago plaque. Viragos are rare in Thailand. Grey imports only. There could be problems with spare parts. They're air cooled, but that shouldn't be no trouble. It's not the Sahara.

Honda has been promising to import the VTR250 officially for some time, price probably 144,000 Baht. It's a naked bike. Actually a lot more comfortable to ride than a Honda Phantom or the other plump pseudo choppers with small engines. It's not a mule, though.

Honda%20VTR250%2000.jpg

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/staticpages/index.php/Honda_Motorcycle_Price_List

The Steed engine is completely different, it is water cooled and twin spark, but with less HP and lower torque and a chain driven, while the Virago has a shaft drive. The Steed is also a lot heavier and handles like a pig, I am told that the Virago handles well.

The 400's are popular in SE Asia made specifically for the Asian market

I know a bloke up in Nong Bua Lam Phu with a 400 custom - I think its a Virago - nice clean bike, well maintained, all the necessary docs inc green book and he's lookin around 85k for it. Might be worth a look if you're in the area..? thumbsup.gif

Now that sounds promising. Terrific medium sized bike those Virago's. I thought they came in 250 and 535. 400 too, ay!

250, 535, 750, and 1100. I bet the 400 is a Steed with a Virago plaque. Viragos are rare in Thailand. Grey imports only. There could be problems with spare parts. They're air cooled, but that shouldn't be no trouble. It's not the Sahara.

Honda has been promising to import the VTR250 officially for some time, price probably 144,000 Baht. It's a naked bike. Actually a lot more comfortable to ride than a Honda Phantom or the other plump pseudo choppers with small engines. It's not a mule, though.

Honda%20VTR250%2000.jpg

http://www.motorcycl...ycle_Price_List

Yamaha made a fair variety of Viragos.

Yamaha made a XV125, XV250, XV400, XV500, XV535, XV700, XV750, XV920R, XV1000/TR1, XV1100, the XV400SCLX being the rarest of the breed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_Virago

The Steed engine is completely different, it is water cooled and twin spark, but with less HP and lower torque and a chain driven, while the Virago has a shaft drive. The Steed is also a lot heavier and handles like a pig, I am told that the Virago handles well.

The 400's are popular in SE Asia made specifically for the Asian market

The 535 Virago I had went great. I only ver rode a Steed 600 once and was less than impressed with it though a few weeks ago I saw a beautiful one in white and chrome up in Kampaeng Phet. It put my dirty old Phantom to shame.

I have a virago 1100, i can tell the phantom feel very cumbersome to attempt to drive in comparison,

i literary have to JUMP on the frickin gear shifter to gear down, not so on virago, 1 toe is enuff.

Steering also smoother, not to mention the torque, no need to keep revs up here.

I find it equal to the scooters when going to 7/11, it actually isnt wider, and i suggest keep standard hand bars.

I have yet to meet a mechanic that doesn't praise the virago engine,

but there is one exception to that rule: early 750cc 81-83 had issues with starter system, avoid them.

Spares is also pricey here, best bet is to buy online from USA, or have someone send/bring to you

OH, and last but not least: while i like the look of virago a lot, in fact its my favorite curves,

the ugly excuse for pipes are a pain, so i bought 2nd hand dragstar pipes,

have custom stuff inside with the sound i like, and powder-coated the pipes along with footpegs & stuff,

for minimal maintenance.

http://www.drpiston.com/

http://www.viragoown....org/diduno.htm

http://www.viragoownersclub.org/

Edited by poanoi

I am definitely leaning towards a Virago and the 400cc would suit my needs, only 177kg, so a lot lighter than the awkward 400 Steed and according to many easy to ride, good handling too, the only downside is a rear drum brake. It has a good riding position and loads of grunt 32hp is just less than my first Austin Mini, so I can tell the wife she can get back on the cream cakes, me too..

There is a good forum too, apparently they were built in the 80's to compete with Harleys, once called the poor man's Harley, later renamed the sensible man's Harley. Not my words you understand.

It is a matter of finding one now and selling my now completely rebuilt Phantom.

This has been very useful, thanks to all for a lot of mixed opinions.

Any more opinions on the Virago would be appreciated.

I owned a XV-750 for four years, it was a flawlessly running bike. Engine had a nice sound, and feel, comfortable for 800-900 km days. Was less than a 1000 km on the bike I bought, and the only upgrades I did were; huge saddle bags, big seat pad, and brake line and pad upgrade up front. It was my first cruiser and I'm a user of the front brake. Seat wore fast I remember though. In general a very easy going bike.

In Canada I worked on all my bikes, and the Yammie was a bit more complex but was a well made engine that did what the instruction manual said with no surprises. I took my time, but it took me most of the day to adjust the valves, along with whatever other maintenance things I did.

I rode occasionaly with other cruisers on long trips (it was and still is mostly cruisers on Canadian slab) and the stand out of the Virago was the suspension - it was comfortable. But at the time the Yammie did not have enough power to keep me happy, oh how that changes.

"It is a matter of finding one now and selling my now completely rebuilt Phantom."

Not a problem. Advertise it on one of the Pattaya-man forums. You know the ones? There's always cheap Charlies on the prowl for a bargain.

I have done 450 kilometer days in North East Thailand on 175 cc Kawasaki Boss. With my girlfriend on the back and i weigh over 100 kg. i ride with a friend who has a Steed and my bike has superior range because of a bigger tank and better economy If you want more power i would recommend a second hand Ninja 250. I think a superior long distance bike then the CBR 250 as it has more weight and will provide better passing ability at higher speed. Change the sprocket for better economy and lower reving cruising speed. Bigger bikes i think are overkill in Thailand where it is suicidal to run them at full capacity.

I owned a Virago for several years. Looked nice and never failed me, but I couldn't sit comfortable on it, it was too small. I'm 6'7", most of it legs. When I buy jeans, it's the size 33/40. I guess I could have costomized it to fit better, but didn't use it all too often. Pretty cool where I am from, short summers. Ever since I moved to Thailand, I bought 125 ccm scooters.

A useful bike in Thailand can also be a Tiger with the larger engines. Here a Tiger 200, the copper bike.

Tiger-Boxer-200R4.jpg

New they cost in the range between 60 and 75k.

I didnt have a problem with legs and i'm 6'4,

but other bikers kept talking how i should move the pegs forward and even have an extra pair of pegs so i would have straight legs up in the air.

Well i was into experimenting (changed custom hand bars 5 times before buying stock again)

so i did move the pegs a bit forward, to please others.

In hind sight, the only change/'repair'/etc i dont regret is putting better looking pipes on

Edited by poanoi

I have done 450 kilometer days in North East Thailand on 175 cc Kawasaki Boss. With my girlfriend on the back and i weigh over 100 kg. i ride with a friend who has a Steed and my bike has superior range because of a bigger tank and better economy If you want more power i would recommend a second hand Ninja 250. I think a superior long distance bike then the CBR 250 as it has more weight and will provide better passing ability at higher speed. Change the sprocket for better economy and lower reving cruising speed. Bigger bikes i think are overkill in Thailand where it is suicidal to run them at full capacity.

Round my way, its even suicidal to run a moped at full capacity, much less a 250, however, my old GSXR gives me that little edge should I ever need a bit extra to pass the occasional buffalo or tak-tak thumbsup.gif Nothing wrong with having a bit of power in reserve, its all down to having the savvy to know how and when to use it (or not to as the case may be...) and much nicer than having to do a tap dance on the gear box when you're enjoying a nice drive through the mountains.

I disagree entirely on the idea that acceleration is unnecessary,

when coming out from a U-turn for example, a simple twist on my wrist ensures that none of the traffic can catch me,

only if i have no other option will i ever drive with a weak bike on sukumvit,

only when i have to pay tax on the scooters.

I couldnt care less on max speed tho, i dont enjoy driving over 120 and i dont dare drive more than 165

Edited by poanoi

A Virago 1100 is way to bulky on the sukumvit. The Ninja 250 will out accelerate 99% of the cars and trucks on the Thai road and is light and thin enough to deal with gridlock. Thailand just does not have the road conditions to get the full benefit of a bike like the Virago.