Thai Airways Bkk - Lhr - Bkk Double The Price,,,,,,

uptheos

And what is new about that. From the states with all there hidden and mystery fees they always ended up being almost twice as much

a few weeks back needing to go to Kuala Lumpur I got a round trip ticket for 7000 Bt. they were 30,000bt for coach fair and Malaysia air was 15,000 for first class

How they keep on flying beats me ?

• Like 1

And what is new about that. From the states with all there hidden and mystery fees they always ended up being almost twice as much

a few weeks back needing to go to Kuala Lumpur I got a round trip ticket for 7000 Bt. they were 30,000bt for coach fair and Malaysia air was 15,000 for first class

How they keep on flying beats me ?

I fly a lot for business and work for a Thai company. I have nothing to do with booking the flight, but they always book Thai. I'm guessing because its always the cheapest. Based on that its quite likely that travel agencies are the real source of most of Thais customers and the websites are higher priced because Thai still thinks agencies are its main distribution channel.

Flights are always pretty full as well it has to be said despite the planes being old and in need of refurb. And on a business class flight from Frankfurt recently had to change seats twice as the seats weren't working

Edited by CMTourist

Still, it's a perfectly valid question why buying the same ticket for the same route in one country should be double in the other. When I first came to Thailand 15 years ago it was cheaper to buy one's return ticket to London in Bangkok. Whilst I know that all countries and airports have differing charges, it would be interesting to get the airlines' (THAI in particular) take on this.

• Like 1

This topic comes up so often....flights from BKK have hardly increased in 10 years...its the XE that has caused this.....Sterling has dropped 5% in the past few weeks alone. Do you really expect to get a direct return flight at Songran time for 28,000 Baht!!!

Edited by PattayaPhom

Its not possible to compare air fares like that. What is more comparable is to see the actual published fares based on the RBD (bookingclass). I can give you an example for BKK-LHR-BKK and LHR-BKK-LHR. I see in Amadeus (GDS) BKK-LHR-BKK in "V" class (seems to be the lowest published class on this route) at THB27300 + taxes. If we look at LHR-BKK-LHR the lowest published "V-class fare) is GBP450 (THB21400). So lower published fares for trips starting in London. There might even be lower TG fares available through large travel agencies/consolidators.

Tickets starting in Bangkok used to be more reasonable. In MANY cases now its the opposite.

While there is some seasonality (Low, Low Shoulder, High Shoulder, Peak) for TG fares for each int'l city-pair the bottom line is that with supply fixed (more or less - aircraft substitutions, adding a third flight) more people want to fly LHR-BKK-LHR than want to fly BKK-LHR-BKK - for obvious reasons - so there is more competition for ex-LHR flights, and lower prices. Since BKK-LHR flights are full with LHR returnees, supply is limited and prices higher for those originating their journey in BKK.

A V-Fare on the non-stops TG 911-916 in April is ~ 826 GBP ex-LHR (LHR-BKK-LHR) and ~ 976 GBP (46,040 THB) ex-BKK (BKK-LHR-BKK) when O/D traffic might be as close to parity as it gets during the year?

TG is also taking the pipe on FX; Q3 2012: (in THB)

Losses (Gains) on foreign currency exchange (1,722,813,993)

How they remain in business is as amazing as 'Amazing Thailand'

I've just completed my annual bookings to home and do not necessarily go cheapest but more convenient timing. These are the price quotes I saw through the various airline online booking sites for the same date.

BKK/DMK to PER one way.

Singapore Airlines -- 17000 Baht

Qantas --- 15500

AirAsia -- 12028 all up including a RED seat.

JetStar -- 12000 + and a ridiculous time table

And Thai International --- 22050 Baht cheesy.gif

IMHO they are applying the typical Thai business mentality where they can't attract customers so screw their regulars to remain liquid.

Edited by bdenner

2 years ago it was cheaper for me to buy 1 way segments with a UA fare BKK-JFK $1750. vs

JFK-BKK -$3200. (Business class)

The reverse is in place now with less of a spread.

I had a recent flight on EVA BKK-YYZ @ $3800. Had I bought individual segments - $6000. in business.

It is more expensive now to fly from from the EU on EVA than from the longer route from YYZ in business.

Even odder is that the LAX flights are more expensive with EVA than out of YYZ to BKK in business and LAX has lower airline fees than YYZ. Should I be screaming at EVA?

It is all about demand and capacity.

Edited by geriatrickid

Although I live in LOS, I always buy my UK-Thailand r/t tickets in the UK because it's normally the cheaper option, regardless of the carrier. Similarly, I purchase US-Thailand r/t tickets in the US for the same reasons.

It is not a THAI thing, never has been.

When choosing dates to do a comparison, one must factor in local holidays and seasonal events at both ends of the route. Chinese New Year, Easter, Hanukkha, Spring Bank Holiday, Hari Raya, local school holidays.... loads of things that can cause all carriers to 'tweak' their fares based on destination, demand and passenger loads.

Lompotaoto explained it best, it's because of the rotation of the Earth and some airlines they fly upwards then stay there to wait for the rotation of the Earth to bring them to the destination thus saving fuel, it's simple as that!
  • Like 2

Lompotaoto explained it best, it's because of the rotation of the Earth and some airlines they fly upwards then stay there to wait for the rotation of the Earth to bring them to the destination thus saving fuel, it's simple as that!

That's called Space travel. Most of us aren't on a journey to Space (well, only some of the time) smile.png

To be honest, it has been the same for at least the last 5 years.....ALWAYS loads more expensive BKK-LHR-BKK with Thai Air and many others. The exceptions are the airlines that sell kind of like a low cost airline, so same prices whatever way eg. Jet Air, Air India.

I always thought maybe it had something to do with bringing tourism from the UK to Thailand and that one subsidises the other...how many British tourists would be prepared to pay over GBP1000.00 just for the flight for a 2 week holiday? The other way, you are going to get (generally), wealthy Thai's who can afford it and Falangs taking their partners to the UK for a holiday.

Just my thoughts!

Edited by kjhbigv

That's called Space travel. Most of us aren't on a journey to Space (well, only some of the time) smile.png

Actually he's right. Airlines flying from America westwards do it. As I saw on one programme on TV. It's akin of waiting for the destination to reach the aircraft, is how 1 pilot put it.

Actually he's right. Airlines flying from America westwards do it. As I saw on one programme on TV. It's akin of waiting for the destination to reach the aircraft, is how 1 pilot put it.

So technically, with the earths natural rotation, all flights flying east to west will consume less fuel than those flying west to east, ie. those that are 'chasing' their destination. So if all airlines burn less fuel on those east-west routes (flying slower?), how come the air fares are higher and flights in either direction have the same actual in-the-air duration (give or take the head or tail winds)?

In layman's terms please.

Far Out ! laugh.png

... as John Denver & others used to say, quite often ! rolleyes.gif

Flying caused him to lose his head too.

Actually i think it was the lack of flying which killed him........He crashed, now if he had kept flying all would have been ok !

So technically, with the earths natural rotation, all flights flying east to west will consume less fuel than those flying west to east, ie. those that are 'chasing' their destination. So if all airlines burn less fuel on those east-west routes (flying slower?), how come the air fares are higher and flights in either direction have the same actual in-the-air duration (give or take the head or tail winds)?

In layman's terms please.

Demand? Taking wind out of the equation. SIN-LHR is actually 25 mins longer going East West. In my post I was just saying how a pilot explained it. Other factors affecting times are the flight paths, not all are 2 directional