Space Race

HeijoshinCool

Just read a major outlet's article stating Asian countries are now a part of the race into space.

Think Thailand has a shot?

I thought the race ended about 50 years ago...

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Apparently CNN is narrowing it down to Asian countries. Western are disqualified this time around.

Thailand already has 4 satellites, 3 of which are coms and one which is earth observation. Govt will be looking to replace the EOS at some point in the next few years.

As to if the launch it here or elsewhere, why should that matter?

" I thought the race ended about 50 years ago..." You must admit that Thailand is a little behind some of the rest of the world in some areas, not only the space race!

My comment is in regards to an international news organization apparently discussing Asia joining a race that has already been won. Not to mention that most of the "rest of the world" also hasn't entered the race.

You'll have to work a bit harder at turning that into a Thai bash.

Edited by SteeleJoe

Telecommunications tycoon, Thaksin Shinawatra launched Thailand's first satellite around 1993, no?

He owned it. He (nor any Thai(s) ) didn't launch it - that was Hughes (US).

Edited by SteeleJoe

Thailand already has 4 satellites, 3 of which are coms and one which is earth observation. Govt will be looking to replace the EOS at some point in the next few years.

As to if the launch it here or elsewhere, why should that matter?

I suppose it would matter to anyone who views it as a "race" and recognizes that there's a significant difference between owning (or even building) a satellite and successfully launching something into space and maintaining control of it (neither the Russians nor the US would have been said to have entered the race let alone won it if they had merely paid for someone to build spacecraft or even built them but didn't launch them).

It certainly doesn't matter to me, though. The Space Race was about Cold War politics (and some not entirely unjustified fears). Space exploration etc arguably has intrinsic value in and of itself and certainly attendant benefits but as to who does what first -- why care about that now?

Edited by SteeleJoe

Just read a major outlet's article stating Asian countries are now a part of the race into space.

Thailand might be a little bit late again. But I read in the North East they try rockets every year.

Thailand might be a little bit late again. But I read in the North East they try rockets every year.

I believe it's not more than 10 countries on the entire planet that have launch capabilities. It would seem the Thais aren't especially late.

News just in. Thai police were tipped off that the culprit who knocked the bottle over at the recent rocket launch attempt was hiding out in a Major Cineplex in Bangkok. Armed police were despatched immediately and covered all the exits but the culprit managed to escape through one of the entrances.

I believe it's not more than 10 countries on the entire planet that have launch capabilities. It would seem the Thais aren't especially late.

1North Korea

2Japan

3Russia

4China

5India

6Pakistan

7Brasil

8USA

9European Union

10Iran

And now soon Thailand...

Thais wont ever get a rocket into space because every other country is far more superior and look down at Thailand, although its great place for a holiday for all these superior countries.

if i were to ligthen up any more and take this forum less seriously, i would find myself in orbit with thaksin's sattetlites.

oddly, it would seem the UK has not managed to start a colony in space.

You don't seem to be able to tell the difference between good natured jokes and a genuine superiority complex. As an Englishman I am used to laughing at my own country with no malice or feelings that I am better than anybody else; no reason why I shouldn't do the same here.