Satelite Can't Connect Two Receivers

suki

Got a problem I've got a True Hd box and two free to air digital boxes which have True free tv on them (not True boxes though). Their all going out to a single feed via three what I suspect are boosters( single side band modulators) don't know that much about this sort of thing. Trouble is when I connect the second free to air box the other free to air box looses signal.

Anyone got any suggestions before I call in a tv guy thanks.

We have two TrueLife (free to view) receivers and a True HD box all running off a single dish via a simple 3 way splitter with no issues whatever.

Can you upload photos of the box / cabling arrangement that you have? Is the feed from the wall coming from a communal dish or your own?

Does your problem follow the box or is it related to the particular split it's connected to?

Does your HD box lose signal as well?

I've got two True boxes running off one dish but the splitter isn't an internal switch box. I asked the guy who installed to change the LNB (the bulbous bit at the end of the arm on the satellite dish) to one that had two connectors instead of one. It only cost an extra 400 baht and the two cables are fed directly from the dish, one to each box. Hey presto, two receivers that work independently of each other.

I've got two True boxes running off one dish but the splitter isn't an internal switch box. I asked the guy who installed to change the LNB (the bulbous bit at the end of the arm on the satellite dish) to one that had two connectors instead of one. It only cost an extra 400 baht and the two cables are fed directly from the dish, one to each box. Hey presto, two receivers that work independently of each other.

This shouldn't be needed as all truevisions channels are horizontally polarized, so you can use splitters and all the receivers should work independently..

Only for example when you would have a DTV receiver it would become an issue (they are partly on a vertical transponder), so this receiver would need its own output on a dual LNB to keep it from interfering with the Truevisions boxes...

Guess the OP has one broken (shorted) box, since horizontal (18V) receivers will always win, adding one box on vertical will not make the horizontal (Truevisions) boxes loose signal, rather the vertical one will simply see nothing...

Yea, if the additional receiver(s) you are adding to the one satellite line are not set to Horiizonal polarity a LNB feed voltage conflict could occur. Horizontal polarity feeds 18VDC to the LNB and Vertical polarity feeds 13VDC. So, say two receivers are hooked to one satellite dish/LNB line...one is setup to feed a horizontal polarity/18V and the other vertical polarity/13V, then what may happen is the 18V gets pulled down to 13V (or some other voltage between 13V and 18V) or some other strange voltage conflict occurs and the LNB isn't set to the proper polarity to receive TrueVisions signals.

Also, when using a signal splitter then the splitter should be the type that allows voltage pass through on each port...there are some splitters that only allow voltage pass on one port but not on other ports which means the receiver feeding that one voltage pass port must at least be in standby all the time in order for voltage to still be applied to the LNB and allow all the connected receivers on the splitter to receive a signal.

Possible PIB, but all the (cheap) power-pass splitters I've looked at have steering diodes in the power-pass route, so the higher voltage always wins.

My experience as well. If one receiver is set to horizontal, then that will be what the LNB will put on the cable, regardless of what the other receivers might be set to.

Again, everything from True sits on horizontal transponders. IPM and DTV are different where their channels are spread over H and V transponders. You often see those dishes outfitted with dual and even quad lnb's as one seperate cable to each receiver is required...

Thanks for all the input we finally called out the engineer who replaced one of the boxes not sure what he did but it's working again what I can gather is it was a faulty box.

Once again thanks for your help..