I've Witnessed 3 Minor Accidents In Three Days

rene123

It seems that there are many older farang driving in LOS that shouldn't be. At least the Thai's have a Buddha amulet for protection from the oftern hard of hearing, half blind and incompetent Westerners. What have I got? My years of experience riding and my lucky rabbits foot! biggrin.png

WOW , blame the incompetent Westerners, for all the accidents.

That's not what I said. Stop trying to twist what I say into something completely logical. whistling.gif

So would you comment on all the hard of hearing, half blind, incompetent, brain dead,idiot thai drivers then. I guess not.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems that there are many older farang driving in LOS that shouldn't be. At least the Thai's have a Buddha amulet for protection from the oftern hard of hearing, half blind and incompetent Westerners. What have I got? My years of experience riding and my lucky rabbits foot! biggrin.png

WOW , blame the incompetent Westerners, for all the accidents.

That's not what I said. Stop trying to twist what I say into something completely logical. whistling.gif

So would you comment on all the hard of hearing, half blind, incompetent, brain dead,idiot thai drivers then. I guess not.

SPEAK UP, MAN! STOP MUMBLING....

He must've been off chasing the girls when God was giving out senses of humour....

• 8 months later...

Wow....3 Accidents in 3 days. I'm in the states now and last night we had some snow. By 9am we had over 100 crashes

and over 100 cars in the ditch. Why? ...Because people were driving stupidly. It's that simple. Stupid is a worldwide problem

not just in Thailand. I live on a lakeshore home, in the last month 15 cars/suv/truck have sunk on the frozen lake.

3 Dead. The newspapers and TV news are all warning people to not drive on the lake. There is thin ice warning signs at the lake

access. I'm looking out the window now overlooking the lake and yes there are cars driving out to fish houses.

Like I said...Stupid is worldwide. You cannot fix stupid,but Darwin tries.

Agree. It seems certain farangs always want to make this a "Thai thing." There are stupid drivers everywhere, and just as many in the USA where I'm from. Yes, there are stupid drivers in Thailand, Thais and farangs alike. I do believe they are in the minority.

I know farangs that put 200baht in with the licence,because they are going to do 140+ all the way to Patts.or Bangkok.

There are 14 times as many fatalities per capita in Thailand as there are in the USA.

Don't talk out of the top of your hat until you've at least Googled it, or have done a search of this oft-discussed topic right here on TV. whistling.gif

You're right in that my comments are purely anecdotal, based on driving in both the USA and Thailand over 10 yrs+. But you do understand that there are many, many more motorcycles per capita in Thailand than in the USA. Fatalities on motorbikes are much more likely than in cars. Do you have the stats on how many of those fatalities in Thailand involve motorcycles? I'd imagine it'd be in the majority. You shouldn't be quoting stats unless you really understand what they mean.

You are just as crazy with imagining things. But even if it 60% on motorcycles then its 5 to 6 times more then in the USA. You should not be opening your mouth without doing a calculation first even at 70% motocycles its still 4 times more then in the USA.

Plus let us not forget how much goes unrecorded over here.

A few years ago I went back to the Old Country and hired a car. We raked over the border to England, and one of the things I enjoyed most was the road layout. And signage. Directions were clearly marked, and if one got in the lane one was directed to, one ended up on the desired road. Lovely!

Coincidentally, I bumped into a former colleague from Singapore at a service station on the M6, as well, though I don't think that had any impact on my safety.

SC

Tell me about it love how roads are marked in the Netherlands, Thailand does not even come close. To compare Thailand favourably in road safety with countries like Germany, the Netherlands or UK is ridiculous.

Anyway i still drive here on bikes and with a car and i just adapt try to think ahead and hope i acted correctly.

The majority of the drivers is indeed not bad, but there is a large percentage dangerous idiots much larger as in other countries. Its not driver skill its lack of traffic enforcement and training. Police just prey on the motorcycles, would be so much better if they drove with camera cars in traffic and caught idiots and showed them the error of their way. But there is not enough money in that so it will never be done.

I think the road signage is excellent in English,seeing as it's an Asian country.