Opposition Dumps Thaksin's Election Plans

Felix Lynn

One note:

For poor countrypeople

they have to choose whether to go home to vote on April 2 or to go home for the traditional family holiday on Songran April 13.

That's a tough choice for the workers away from their home provinces who don't have much to look forward to during the year. They'll choose Songkran which means most of the people who will vote on April 2 will be people who are in the countryside already and those people have the least access to information about what is going on.

Thaksin and TRT(Take Riches from Thailand) are rotten to the core.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thaksin like Hitler is happy to ruin the future of his people and even his own family for his own cause.

This is really heading to dangerous waters. The anger that exists in the hearts of some Thai people is hair-trigger. If he doesn't do something leaderly soon Thailand is going to explode.

Chuan backs Abhisit, compares Thaksin to Hitler - The Nation -

imagesrrrr.jpg

USA-E-Supreme-p176a.jpg

Former Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai has backed Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva's decision to boycot the April 2 snap election, saying the decision is democratic.

Chuan had earlier admitted that he was against the idea of boycott the poll and field in candidates.

"However Khun Abhisit briefed me about the reasons behind the decision and that it is the decision of the party. Therefore, I informed him that the party should proceed according to the decision," said Chuan, who is the party's advisor chief and exparty leader.

"I believe Khun Abhisit makes a right decision. I told him that I will support him and the party all along," Chuan said.

Chuan rebutted caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's criticism that boycotting the election is against democratic principle. "It is as if Thai Rak Thai Party did not field in a candidate for a snap election in Satun province. Is this against the laws or not? Absolutely no," Chuan said.

He declined to predict the future of Thai politics now that Democrat and other opposition parties boycotted the election.

"Now Thai Rak Thai Party has a new motto to promote democracy and keep the country's rules and laws. This meant for the past five years, Thaksin government did not do these principles."

He also referred to Thaksin's interview today that the opposition parties should consult with Burma's imprisoned pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi as she fought for and encouraged people to join in the election.

"I want to tell him that he should better compare his performance with German's Hitler," he said.

For Thaksin to refer to Aung San Suu Kyi to boost his democratic credentials is odious in the extreme, just a few months ago after one of his many visits to the repulsive regime, he said in public he well understood why the regime kept Aung San Suu Kyi under arrest!

I don't know why Chuan didn't mention this rather than referring to Hitler.

Here's something Thaksin said about Aung Saan Suu Yi on his radio show in 2004... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=23258

But Thaksin has riled his neighbors with some of his comments. He said Malaysia and Indonesia had a hand in Thailand's troubles in the Muslim south, prompting fierce complaints, especially from Malaysia, which borders Thailand. "We do not see an outside hand in this," the State Department official pointedly said, adding that the United States has "no information" to back up Thaksin's claims. "If Thaksin has that information, he should share it with the Malaysian government."

Meanwhile, as the rest of Southeast Asia has increasingly distanced itself from Burma, Thaksin has sought an ever closer embrace.

Speaking on his weekly radio broadcast after a visit to Rangoon, Thaksin said Burma's military leaders had said political instability caused by Suu Kyi's release could split the country along ethnic lines.

Burma, also known as Myanmar, "will be torn apart into many different countries," Thaksin quoted the senior military leader, Gen. Than Shwe, as saying. "The country will be a mess -- nothing will be left."

"These are the reasons they gave [for holding Suu Kyi], which are reasonable enough and convincing," Thaksin told the radio program.

His comments have prompted concern among administration officials and lawmakers who think his policy of engagement with Burma has failed. "The regime has stiffed him," said a senior U.S. official.

David I. Steinberg, head of Asian studies at Georgetown University, called Thaksin's comments on Suu Kyi "really bad" and said his voicing them "endears him to no one."

The State Department official said the administration has raised questions with Thai officials about Thaksin's remarks. The problem, the official said, is that "our normal interlocutors in the foreign ministry are scratching their heads like we are, so it's kind of difficult to get what he had in mind when he says things like that." :o

--Washington Post 2004-12-25

To the best of my knowledge, out of 2,500 plus murders, NOT ONE person has ever been convicted of committing ANY of the murders... be they drug lord, policeman, or a disgruntled neighbor settling a score by the proven-safe-method-to-avoid-prosecution of "shooting first and planting second."

My sources in police and military have put the numbers at around 4000 to 5000 dead. And unfortunately no, none were properly investigated.

Yet, i do not see any of those murders high on the agenda of the leaders of the demonstrations. Why is that so? Why, in the speaches they only make an issue out of "selling the country" and "being immoral". Could that be because most of those leaders fully supported the drugwar as at that time allies of Thaksin?

So how does that reflect on the character, motivations and possible future visions of those demonstration leaders (of which they strangely do not speak much...)? Given certain other background theories of return to absolute monarchy they have adopted as well, it does not bode well for Thailand if they get any sort of real power here.

I see only one solution out of this mess - and that is thinking a few years ahead, the parliamentary opposition maybe doing its job finally in going upcountry, directly speaking in villages, and not just at election time, and getting finally rid of Thaksin that way.

Anything else is not what i would call a step forward. And especially not with shady characters like Chamlong and Sondhi, and Thaksin presently at the other side.

:o

Colpyat, you are truly a voice of reason amidst all the anger and resentment. your objectivity and clarity of thought is really quite uncommon.

Mr. Suranand has urged Chart Thai Party to reconsider its decision not to filed its candidates for the general election

Executive member of the Thai Rak Thai Party Suranand Vejjajiva (สุรนันทน์ เวชชาชีวะ) has urged Chart Thai Party to revise its resolution for not sending its candidates to run in the general election on April 2nd. He believes that over 100,000 people will gather at Sanam Luang (สนามหลวง) to listen to the speech of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

In regards to the comment made by Democrat Party spokesperson Ong-art Klampaiboon (องอาจ คล้ามไพบูลย์), he alleged that the registration of party-list candidates yesterday was rather unreal.

However, Mr. Suranand countered that it is deemed inappropriate for the Democrat Party to make such comment since the Thai Rak Thai Party has followed the regulations. He has also asked Chart Thai Party to reconsider its decision to boycott the election.

As for the speech of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra this evening, over 100,000 people are expected to join the rally.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 03 March 2006

......they have to choose whether to go home to vote on April 2 or to go home for the traditional family holiday on Songran April 13.

That's a tough choice for the workers away from their home provinces who don't have much to look forward to during the year. They'll choose Songkran which means most of the people who will vote on April 2 will be people who are in the countryside already and those people have the least access to information about what is going on.

Boppia, that was a good point. The Songkran exodus is almost biblical and I can't see this happening twice in a few days.

Edited by Artisan

SENDME A POSTCARD AND TELL ME YOU LOVE ME!

The government said it has received 500,000 postcards expressing support for Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatr in the current political crisis after just a day.

"The first 500,000 set of postcards addressing people’s love, peace, and democracy has reportedly arrived at the Government House’s post office box 888," said a press release.

Well I don't know about the rest of you, but my mail always takes days. It's truely amazing that the fearless leader gets his in just one day, and not just a handfull either!! Half a million of them :D

Either the government spokesperson is telling "porkies" or it's a thank you from the postal department for a few million baht in extra postal revenue :o

half a million people sent postcards to date the PM's daughter??? wow!

================================================================================

===============================================

......they have to choose whether to go home to vote on April 2 or to go home for the traditional family holiday on Songran April 13.

Boppia, that was a good point. The Songkran exodus is almost biblical and I can't see this happening twice in a few days.

particularly when mixed in with people going home to vote in the Senate election on April 19th....

:D

HIdden agenda? Doesn't seem like he's keeping stuff very well hidden. What is hidden?

His ownership of 10% of shares in Shin Corp was very well hidden until very recently, for example. Or his push for "open air" policy seemed innocent enough until he started Air Asia just months later.

I see only one solution out of this mess - and that is thinking a few years ahead, the parliamentary opposition maybe doing its job finally in going upcountry, directly speaking in villages, and not just at election time, and getting finally rid of Thaksin that way.

Does that mean that they have to bribe and bully everyone to vote for them like Taksin's TRT does?

It also doesn't take into account that people vote local politicians in, not the parties. When Taksin needed votes in the North East he merged NAP into Thai Rak Thai. All scoundrels, rejects and political dinosauras were accepted into TRT if they could win a local vote.

Democrats have repeatedly stated that they won't accept anyone regrardless of their history just to grab a few votes.

Though it's by no means perfect, Democrats are the party with principles.

Will Thai people ever vote on priniciples? Will they develop political consciousness? Will it forever be "you vote as I say or else"?

In a way they don't deserve to have a truly transparent, democratic government.

On the other hand Taksin also bears responsibility for turning voters in serfs. Viscious circle.

you can be pro or con Thaksin, but for sure he has the fastest hand I ever heared about!

He must wrote all the night...

SENDME A POSTCARD AND TELL ME YOU LOVE ME!

The government said it has received 500,000 postcards expressing support for Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatr in the current political crisis after just a day.

"The first 500,000 set of postcards addressing people’s love, peace, and democracy has reportedly arrived at the Government House’s post office box 888," said a press release.

Well I don't know about the rest of you, but my mail always takes days. It's truely amazing that the fearless leader gets his in just one day, and not just a handfull either!! Half a million of them :D

Either the government spokesperson is telling "porkies" or it's a thank you from the postal department for a few million baht in extra postal revenue :o

half a million people sent postcards to date the PM's daughter??? wow!

================================================================================

===============================================

particularly when mixed in with people going home to vote in the Senate election on April 19th....

:D

Colpyat, you are truly a voice of reason amidst all the anger and resentment. your objectivity and clarity of thought is really quite uncommon.

Thank you. :o

I basically try that my dislike of Thaksin and all he stands for does not blind me to the fact that his vocal opposition, Sondhi, Chamlong, etc. are not at least equally selfserving characters that strive from creating and using unrest for their own personal agendas.

My dream for the future is that the Democrats will mature ASAP, and go to the villages. And then somehow return Thailand to an aera of relative sanity and slow but steady progress.

Chalard vows to hang himself for democracy

549000003441001.JPEG

Wellknown hunger striker and political activist Pilot Officer Chalard Worachat appeared outside Parliament House Wednesday night with a steel bar and a string of rope and announced that he would hang himself to death if there is no election or a prime minister who is chosen through the election.

The 63-year-old veteran activist reiterated yesterday that his threat is for the sake of Thai democracy and not to support caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

“My vow is to protect democracy. I do not do this to protect the (caretaker) prime minister. But, I have to come out because I see clearly that the anti-Thaksin groups who joined the rally on February 26 aim to take Thailand back to dictatorship again. They do not play by democratic rules,” Chalard, pictured below, said, insisting that he supports neither the pro-Thaksin nor the anti-Thaksin groups.

However, his political viewpoints clearly seem to uphold Thaksin’s actions, as revealed in his talk with ThaiDay yesterday.

He said that every party involved in the political impasse should follow the constitutional rules that he has long fought to protect, indicating that the House dissolution was a right decision by Thaksin as the political situation is out of control.

“When anti-Thaksin groups cause political turmoil by continuously attacking the government. Thaksin follows democratic rules by offering an election. Still, this minority group persists in dragging the country away from democracy and the opposition parties just worsen the situation,” he said.

He added that the anti-Thaksin groups can say anything to blame Thaksin including question his lack of morality and ethics.

“That is their perception. Morality and ethics cannot be measured. Other people, a majority of the Thai people, may not think so. Why don’t they let the next election prove that?” he asked. “Why don’t the opposition MPs or senators file any court cases against Thaksin and his cabinet if they claim to have sufficient evidence of their wrongdoings?. Or are they afraid that their own secrets will be revealed?” he challenged.

“I have chosen hanging this time because it is faster than a hunger strike. … I have already made my vow for democracy,” he said.

Source: ThaiDay - 3 March 2006 13:46

Why doesn't the stupid tit swallow his pride and resign? Talk about having a hidden agenda...

HIdden agenda? Doesn't seem like he's keeping stuff very well hidden. What is hidden?

Just to put a different slant on the debate/ add something new.

I wouldn,t be surprised if, should the election take place and theTRT win that he will announce his retirement after putting in place his choice of leader and re organising the hierachy.

He will of course ensure his own interests and those of his family are safeguarded before resigning/stepping down.

He cannot of course resign/step down now as he has dissolved the house/government but once re elected he can do so.

This of course would follow once he is satisfied with the new cabinet functioning to his liking and playing to his tune.

There has to be a political change one way or another as this present situation will not go away and will continue to haunt him until he goes......( and he must for Thailands creditability to remain. )

An election will not achieve a satifactory outcome unless by some miracle he is defeated or doesn,t choose to form the next goverment.

As all parties are intending to boycott it looks like a formality anyway.

One way or another he has to go, either dignified or otherwise.

Now then have me certified as crazy should you think i,m :o and condem me to a mental institution.

Criticism i look forward to or maybe a stronger reaction

marshbags :D:D:D

P.S. Without sounding condescending, I think you are mellowing chownah and now offering a much more positive contribution to the debates, in my humble opinion.

Of course you may think i shouldn,t make this comment but like you i speak as i think it,s the only way to debate honestly

No i,m not looking for a Blue Peter Badge................ :D

Edited by marshbags

Even if he was to resign, it would probably just be another trick up his sleeve and he'd still run the show from behind.

It may be wishful thinking but.

When i say everyone playing to his tune ect. i was being tongue in cheek as the saying goes and would hope they would become independant from the puppet master should it come to pass.

I would hope that with him gone the TRT would have learnt from his misdemeanors and want what they formed the party for and that is, reform Thai politics and become transparent and accountable.

If they do not take this unrest and it,s causes on board they can expect more of the same again.

I feel certain of this.

It is not in their long term interest to do otherwise and they will not be stupid/arrogant enough to ignore it, surely.

May we all be pleasantly surprised on a positive outcome for the sake of all Thai people.

marshbags :o:D:D

I would hope that with him gone the TRT would have learnt from his misdemeanors and want what they formed the party for and that is, reform Thai politics and become transparent and accountable.

People who formed TRT? I doubt they have very much clout now. Many have left Taksin already, like Purachai.

People who run the show now are as disgusting as Taksin himself. Sudarat is the slimiest of all Thai politicos, IMO. Who else? Newin? Suwat? They were dead politically before Taksin took them on his ship and re-branded them. Suriya The Money bag? Come on, not after CTX.

In the early days of Taksin's rhetoric it all sounded nice, think new, act new, clean up the politics - look what it has become now. Scandal after scandal after scandal. These people have no shame.

Somkid is the most trustworthy, but he's no leader. I also think that he'll be the next one to excuse himself form TRT.

DEAN OF THAMMASAT UNIVERSITY SAYS PRIME MINISTER SHOULD SEEK HIS MAJESTY THE KING'S COUNSEL

The Dean of Thammasat University calls for all parties involved to stop setting up conditional dialogues and each fall back on their aggressive stance to resolve the current political crisis.

Mr. Surapol Nitiglypot (สุรพล นิติไกรพจน), the Dean of Thammasat University, expressed his concern over the nation's current political situation, which is filled with tension from protest actions, and fragmented from radical ideology. Mr. Surapol said this may cause the re-emergence of events in history which no one who like to occur. Therefore the dean beseeches all involved parties to stop setting up conditions and fall back one step in their stance to ease tensions and help each other resolve the crisis.

In addition, the dean stated that in this period of political, social, and economic stagnation, the best solution would be for the Prime Minister to seek the counsel of His Majesty the King, who has no political affiliations, and is neutral in his wise guidance, to take up temporary care of the nation until general elections can be completed.

He adds that the Prime Minister should set up general elections within 60 days which should have representatives from the 3 major opposition parties in attendance, so that power is not concentrated in one major party.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 3 Mar 2006

borrowed from another thread:

Jaruvan to return to airport scanner case

Controversial auditor general Jaruvan Maintaka, who regained her job last month, has vowed to look into an airport equipment purchase scandal that prompted a censure motion against the Thai transport minister nine months ago.

"I still have not forgotten the CTX case," said Mrs Jaruvan, addressing a seminar on corruption organised by the GTZ (German Technical Cooperation Organization) in Bangkok.

In June last year Thailand's opposition parties brought a no-confidence motion against then-Transport Minister Suriya Jungrungreangkit on corruption charges for the $65 million purchase of a CTX explosive detection system for Bangkok's new international airport from the US-based GE InVision.

The scandal came to light after it was revealed that GE InVision was under investigation by the Justice Department for corrupt practices in its business dealings in Thailand, the Philippines and China.

The censure motion was voted down in the Lower House, where the Thai Rak Thai Party of Thai Prime Minister Thaskin Shinwatra held 377 out of the 500 seats, but questions about the deal remain.

"I am going to write a letter to the Department of Justice in the USA for further information," Mrs Jaruvan told Deutsche Presse-Agentur dpa. "I have audited the deal for some time."

Jaruvan was blocked from her job between July, 2004, to February 1, 2006, by a political maneuver initiated by seven pro-government senators who questioned the validity of her appointment to the powerful post in May 2001.

Mrs Jaruvan refused to resign despite a Constitutional Court ruling in favour of the senators' petition, arguing that only Thai King Bhumiboil Adulyadej, who as head of state approved her appointment, could sack her.

On February 1, this year, Mrs Jaruvan was reinstated, reportedly on the urgings of King Bhumibol and Prime Minister Thaksin.

Thaksin, now a caretaker prime minister under growing pressure to resign, may regret his decision.

"From all my audits we found that all government projects, every big project, the government paid higher prices than they were supposed to," Mrs Jaruvan told the seminar.

Thaksin is under intense pressure to resign because of alleged abuses of power in office and because of charges of rampant, unchecked corruption taking place under his five-year rule.

He has called for a snap election on April 2, but many have dubbed the polls a dodge to avoid investigations into the corruption scandals. - (dpa)

Bangkok Post

This should go to the main Anti-thaksin thread as it reinforces the "GOOD" side to colpyat's and thedude's protrayal, in a mostly negative manner, of those opposed to Thaksin.

It belongs there to show further diversity of the legitimacy to the opposition of his rule. It's not ALL about a bunch of old cronies, gits, and farts as bad as Thaksin (an impossibility as only Thaksin can wear the crown of the worst of the worst). HOW much have we heard of Sondhi since his solo act stopped 2 weeks ago? not much... trifle little compared to what we were hearing 2 weeks prior to that. I've not seen a Chamlong quote since Sunday's rally. Mostly I'm seeing new provocation against Thaksin from other quarters....

And it is exemplified by this wonderful and righteous woman who has defied all odds against her of ever serving in her position. She's just and highly moral and respectable and trustworthy. As rare in Thailand as they come. Intelligent, determined, and professional ... and what's the first thing she does now that's she's firmly in control of her ROYALLY APPOINTED authority???

She goes straight for the throat of the TRT Party like a rabid, hungry wolf's 2-inch-long fangs ripping into the soft neck flesh of a young baby lamb.

Edited by sriracha john

... and what's the first thing she does now that's she's firmly in control of her ROYALLY APPOINTED authority???

She goes straight for the throat of the TRT Party like a rabid, hungry wolf's 2-inch-long fangs ripping into the soft neck flesh of a young baby lamb.

:o

John... you should be writing scripts for the Thai soapies... :D

Classic!!!

I must however, agree with your sentiments about Khun Jaruvan's integrity and dedication... she's a rare jewell... and I sincerely hope she's not hindered further in her work.

its bloody funny for me, be a loser even dont start fight..

will they shake thier bodies on the floor later as a kid wanna new toy and mom wont buy it for ? :o

OBVIOUS IDIOT - Same Same most rural voters - they got sent a few bucks from the "PARTY" and are now heros...

Never having received anything from any Thai politicians promise - I might well agree with them...

But come on - All the BOO HOO krapp and references to children are more infantile responses than they beg to respond to. Matters that cannot possibly be understood by anyone responding in such a way!

However, yes elections can be won with these pathetic sort of responses and labelings. Hey it's all about the bottom line dollar value to everyone here. Farmers and country folk can't feel the pinch a sale of billions of national assets will make on this country, while this country receives nothing in return for the sale...

But trust in the fact that many tax dollars were used to create a national commodity (such as AIS), and getting nothing in return is the same as RAPE of the Thai people.

Sorry those of you whose children got a bike for good grades still love the guy, he's as low as a grave robber you just have no understanding of what the hel_l he's really doing to tohose of you who have blind faith in broken promises!!!

find the facts for yourself - Don't just repeat dribble you don't understand anybetter than a drunk cheerleader in heat.

This is not

This should go to the main Anti-thaksin thread as it reinforces the "GOOD" side to colpyat's and thedude's protrayal, in a mostly negative manner, of those opposed to Thaksin.

Please don't mistake me for a Thaksin supporter, because i am definately not. But that does not mean that i am getting cushy with former supporters of Thaksin who have their own little personal agendas and have not shown that they are anything that resembles democratic.

And yes, i definately hope that Khunying Jaruvan can dig out some dirt on Thaksin personally, as this would be one of the proper ways to get rid of Thaksin.

Especially after todays Thaksin rally it is rather clear that there is no way that Sondhi and Chamlong have the slightest chance to oust Thaksin via street demonstrations. Thaksin has completely outmaneuvered them on all fronts.

The only chance they have is by provocing violence, and police is aware that possibility.

From what i can see now the only thing that democratic alliance has achieved is a further radicalisation and fanatisation of the Thai population, a dissolution of the house, new elections the opposition appears to be completely unprepared for.

Endresult will most possibly a house that has even more seats for TRT than before due to the boycott, meaning that Thaksin has far more power than before.

Basically - they have made things worse for any intelligent Thaksin opponent. Thaksin has outsmarted them.

And if any of you believe that Thaksin is getting not enough votes to form a government - you are living in dreamland. I don't know if you have listened to Thaksin's speach today, he has this time chosen the "reasonable" personality, perfect counterpart to Sondhi & Co's shrill and sarcastic insults. TRT's campaign machine has only started. He's gonna roll all over them during the next month. And there is not much the opposition can do. They have moved themselves into checkmate.

All because their arrogance, believing that they can oust Thaksin by having a few demonstrations in urban Thailand. This ain't the 70s anymore, and it's not '92 either. Their minds are stuck in those days while Thaksin uses modern spin doctor populism. That's what you get for by not using proper strategy against an opponent like Thaksin.

Registration for party-list candidates concluded yesterday, with 8 registered parties

The registration for party-list candidates to run in the upcoming general election has concluded, with a total of 8 parties having registered in total.

The registration of party-list candidates took place at the National Stadium in Bangkok on Thursday and yesterday, and 8 parties have registered in total. The Thai Farmers Party had acquired number 1, Thai Rak Thai Party received number 2, People Power Party drew up number 3, Number 4 went to Thai Citizen Party, Number 5 was drawn by the Thai Ground Party, Thai Chuay Thai (ไทยช่วยไทย) Party received number 6, Pattana Chartthai (พัฒนาชาติไทย) Party acquired number 7, and Dhammocratic Party will use number 8.

The Election Commission will now thouroughly analyse the qualifications and evidence provided by registered candidates, before announcing each party's list and names of candidates.

Today a nationwide registration period will initiate for constituency candidates, who will be able to register between the time of 8.30 am and 4.30 pm at provincial city halls up until March 8th. In Bangkok the Nimibutr (นิมิบุตร) Building will again be used.

Candidates for the House of Representatives must be of 25 years of age and possess a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in education. They must have been under a political party for no less than 90 days before the election date.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 04 March 2006

The real problem is not Taxsin outsing, but reforms. The opposition blinded by hate fails to "recognize" that Taxsin abused a system that was waiting to be abused. The current system is obviously not strong enough and I remember critics who were "predicting" such abuses to happen when the Constitution was being discussed and drafted. Should he go ? sure but that won't fix the problem and it will be another "Taxsin" wannabee taking over. He knows this perfectly and that's why he doesn't want to leave, because even if he does, nothing will change and someone else will get all the great deals. Might as well be him.

The real problem is not Taxsin outsing, but reforms. The opposition blinded by hate fails to "recognize" that Taxsin abused a system that was waiting to be abused. The current system is obviously not strong enough and I remember critics who were "predicting" such abuses to happen when the Constitution was being discussed and drafted. Should he go ? sure but that won't fix the problem and it will be another "Taxsin" wannabee taking over. He knows this perfectly and that's why he doesn't want to leave, because even if he does, nothing will change and someone else will get all the great deals. Might as well be him.

Good post, Butterfly.....but they just don't get it. People who are so into this hatred for Toxin the man are blinded to the inevitability of a repeat unless something is done to change the inner workings of the gov't.....so ousting Toxin would not only accomplish nil but it would trample on the young and tender democracy which is hopefully just in its infancy and will grow with time if it is respected and not thrown away out of short term expediency.....not that I think that the opposition has enough clout to oust Toxin....but maybe I'm wrong...time will tell.

Edited by chownah

Leaders of the opposition alliance stood firm on their common stand of boycotting the April 2 snap election even if caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra decides to resign.

Attended by the leaders of the three opposition parties- the Democrat's Abhisit Vejjajiva, Chat Thai's Banharn Silpa-archa and Mahachon's Maj-Gen Sanan Kachornprasart-the luncheon meeting took place just hours before thousands of pro-government demonstrators began arriving at Sanam Luang to attend the ruling Thai Rak Thai (TRT) party's first major campaign rally.

"The problem would have been resolved [and the current crisis averted] if Thaksin had agreed to our request to sign a four-party public pledge on political reforms on February 27. But he didn't believe us," Banharn Silpa-archa said.

post-27080-1141484736_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1141484838_thumb.jpg