Thailand Will Have World's Largest Warning Labels On Cigarette Packs

webfact

Visionchaser45 wrote:

For those who understand the concept of liberty, there is nothing more important in a man's life than the freedom to choose his own destiny. When others start telling you what "should" be important to you or what you "should" do for "your own good," then tyranny is at the door. I know that alcohol can cause health problems, but I still choose to drink. That is my choice and, as a free man, I will live with any consequences of that choice. Worry about your own life and the things you value. Nobody wants to be "should" on.

Agree. and in addition, if we consult J.P. Sartre and philosophy on this one.

The freedom of one stops where the freedom of others start. (Freedom to breathe fresh air in this instance)

''Freedom is defined as the possession of free will, in the absence of any constraints'.

So in a philosophical point of view, smokers do not possess freedom, they are constrained to getting their fix every now and then.

And this constraint is so strong, that it makes smokers negate the freedom of others.

Nobody would try to convince someone else to try a new activity that they have discovered, called smoking, Of course unless they are still 16....

I guess it's a bit like someone who after a big night, farts on a crowded bus.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a sensible idea which ultimately might persuade users to quit their addiction.

The nanny state of Australia recently implemented legislation to make all cigi packets an olive green colour- absolute waste of time

One says they have put the health warnings on 100% of the packet and the other says they have got drab olive green all over ?????????

This is a sensible idea which ultimately might persuade users to quit their addiction.

The nanny state of Australia recently implemented legislation to make all cigi packets an olive green colour- absolute waste of time

One says they have put the health warnings on 100% of the packet and the other says they have got drab olive green all over ?????????

Not sure what percentage the warning covers, about the same as before, but they now have plain packaging. All packets in Australia now are an olive drab colour, with the warning, as before, and the brand in small print on the packet.

Those travelling to Australia can now only take in 50 cigarettes duty free. Changi airport has them packaged in 2X 25 packs.

Hope that clears it up.

Cheers

Come on guys, you need to stop hating on every single thing the government does, if anything this is a good step forward. Of course there is A LOT more that can be done (e.g. heavy tax on tobacco).

I don't think anyone hates the government (in this case) for their actions. What I hate is the hypocrisy of all governments that continue to allow a product that has been proven (apparently!) to cause death to its users to be sold across the counter only for the tax return it puts into the coffers of that country.

The decals they intend to use (covering 85% of the packet instead of the current 55%) won't, IMHO as a smoker myself, deter anyone more than it does at present. Personally, I use a cigarette case; I have used that for years to stop the soft packets getting crushed in my pockets, and not because of the pictures, so it really doesn't mean anything to me.....................thumbsup.gif

If they banned the product it would follow the pattern of the drug trade, you have to be more realistic. Does the cig case cut down the risk associated with smoking ????

They should increase the warning labels and packs to A3 size for 20 fags.

I say forget about the warning labels and the size of the packs-------- I would like to see Thailand to be the first in the world to BAN SMOKING. Do not tell me about the lost revenue----- get a handle on the massive amounts of corruption everywhere else and the tobacco revenue would not even be noticed ------ MO------ Douglal the Kiwi

How about revoking Sir Walter Raleigh's knighthood? He brought the phenomenon of smoking to Europe from the New World so why don't we do what we normally do regarding things that we disagree with. Blame the USA.

"How about revoking Sir Walter Raleigh's knighthood?"

Yep, that guy had a lot to answer for! If it wasn't for him the Irish potato famine wouldn't have happened either.............thumbsup.gif

(The fact that the famine didn't really happen and they just forgot where they planted them is superficial to the arguement.......tongue.png )

And before anyone starts that I am off-topic and taking the p1ss out of the Irish, I'm from that little island myself.

Unfortunately, I went back to smoking when I came to Thailand. 66b a pack at every corner store and singles sold in between. I had been using skoal or snus to stay off but ran out and couldn't find it here before I had weened myself off the nicotine.

Does this mean, due to a savings on killing yourself, you feel it was a good deal?

Just trying to understand the logic...

No. Just musing over the power of addiction, and nicotine, and I guess many other substances. And commenting on the ease and availability of cigarettes here(yes the bars don't help), while I can't find the substitute I was using to try to save my lungs if not the rest of my body. That's all. BTW, my respects to you for your personal efforts.

Come on guys, you need to stop hating on every single thing the government does, if anything this is a good step forward. Of course there is A LOT more that can be done (e.g. heavy tax on tobacco).

I don't think anyone hates the government (in this case) for their actions. What I hate is the hypocrisy of all governments that continue to allow a product that has been proven (apparently!) to cause death to its users to be sold across the counter only for the tax return it puts into the coffers of that country.

The decals they intend to use (covering 85% of the packet instead of the current 55%) won't, IMHO as a smoker myself, deter anyone more than it does at present. Personally, I use a cigarette case; I have used that for years to stop the soft packets getting crushed in my pockets, and not because of the pictures, so it really doesn't mean anything to me.....................thumbsup.gif

If they banned the product it would follow the pattern of the drug trade, you have to be more realistic. Does the cig case cut down the risk associated with smoking ????

A cigarette case cuts down the risk of having my cigarettes crushed in my pocket, as stated in the post............wink.png

They should increase the warning labels and packs to A3 size for 20 fags.

I say forget about the warning labels and the size of the packs-------- I would like to see Thailand to be the first in the world to BAN SMOKING. Do not tell me about the lost revenue----- get a handle on the massive amounts of corruption everywhere else and the tobacco revenue would not even be noticed ------ MO------ Douglal the Kiwi

Don't think Thailand would be the first, Nepal has pretty much done that already.

How about revoking Sir Walter Raleigh's knighthood? He brought the phenomenon of smoking to Europe from the New World so why don't we do what we normally do regarding things that we disagree with. Blame the USA.

Thank you for the light-er aside..

Actually, why doesn't a retailer have to put up anti smoking signs on the dispenser. A massive sigb behind the till in 711 would work better than a little sign on the pack

Next to the "no booze between 14:00 -17:00" sign.

When are they going to put a picture obese belly fat on a cartons of donuts, french fries, pizza and litres of sugar-filled sodas?

Because you can see those fat bellies in real life, everywhere, everyday. Thais are among Asia's fattest Asians. 30% of population. Just 5.7% behind rotund Americans!

You want to put warning labels on sticky rice?

Unfortunately, I went back to smoking when I came to Thailand. 66b a pack at every corner store and singles sold in between. I had been using skoal or snus to stay off but ran out and couldn't find it here before I had weened myself off the nicotine.

Does this mean, due to a savings on killing yourself, you feel it was a good deal?

Just trying to understand the logic...

No. Just musing over the power of addiction, and nicotine, and I guess many other substances. And commenting on the ease and availability of cigarettes here(yes the bars don't help), while I can't find the substitute I was using to try to save my lungs if not the rest of my body. That's all. BTW, my respects to you for your personal efforts.

I must admit, when the smoking dragon grabs one, it is one hell of a bad habit to quit, I had quit at least 10 times before this last time, your right, when they make it so easy and much cheaper, it's mo-easy to be hooked again.

• Like 1

There are some great potential "sexual dysfunction" images you could come up with here in Bangkok. A few are coming to mind, all involving the college uniform girls.

Only"here in Bangkok"------------ WHY ???????

Because this is the only place where a college uniform girl and a fat, impotent slob can feasibly come together.

Albert Einstein was a smoker. I believe he was credited as being fairly intelligent.

He was smoking during an era when everyone was propagandized and told it was OK to smoke. "9 out of 10 doctors smoke" and so on. They also didn't put anywhere near the amount of chemicals in them back then as they to today.

Knowing what they know today about what it does to your health, it really says something about you if you know this and continue to smoke, which is you simply don't care about yourself, your health, or your life. But, it is your body and life so do with it as you will. Just keep your deadly second hand smoke away from me please. There are enough things already trying to kill me on a daily basis, second hand smoke I can do without.

Lets face it, there has to be some thing not quite right with Some one who Smokes, maybe they are not 100%. With all the medical evidence what damage it does to the body, So I don't need a warning. it amazes me how many people, quite rightly bang on about drug takers, yet you see people standing in the street killing themselves and others with there smoking. But up to them there body, I live in the UK, So maybe it could be classed as self inflicted, so here is the Bill, and before anyone goes on about the tax they pay, you would never pay enough tax for the cost of the medical bill, and the after care needed. .

For your information Thongkom the revenue garnered by the UK government in tax from the sale of tobacco alone

is substantialy more than the total cost of the NHS year on year so you can thank a smoker everytime you have to

visit your doctor or go to hospital. coffee1.gif , It would not surprise me if the situation was similar in many other countries

that have national health systems similar to UK, such as Australia to mention one. thumbsup.gif

Interesting interpretation of the published facts. What are your sources ?

Tax Revenue from Tobacco (2011-12 provisional figures ) 12.1 billion GBP

Total cost of running NHS """ ...The total budget of Department of Health in England in 2008/9 was £94bn of which NHS England accounted for £92.5bn. The National Audit Office reports annually on the summarised consolidated accounts of the NHS.[26] In 2012 the NHS budget was set at £104 Billion, or £3000 per second.."""

references: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Health_Service_(England)

http://www.the-tma.org.uk/tma-publications-research/facts-figures/tax-revenue-from-tobacco/

The subject of the effectiveness of warning labels has recently been updated - January 2013. Harvard School of Public Health - ""Graphic warnings on cigarettes effective across demographic groups""

The conclusion of this most recent research would indicate that warning labels have efficacy, but that the effect is variable according to ethnic and/or socio-economic grouping.

There are some great potential "sexual dysfunction" images you could come up with here in Bangkok. A few are coming to mind, all involving the college uniform girls.

Only"here in Bangkok"------------ WHY ???????

Because this is the only place where a college uniform girl and a fat, impotent slob can feasibly come together.

Man, you paint some really repulsive mental images. sick.gif

smoking does not CAUSE death. It causes cancer and other diseases.

It is well proven that natural tobacco is much less harmful than cigarettes. Partially because smoke much less of it. So the right thing would be to get the chemical crap out of the cigarettes. Than I would say, with the pictures on the packs everyone know what he does. So for grown up people it is their own decision if they want to smoke, drink, eat too much etc etc. Don't need the country messing around in my privacy.

(I am not smoking I stopped a few years ago).

It's all very well crying privacy if you live in a cave. Everyone around a smoker is affected by their smoking habit. Their family members get the smell, the noxious chemicals leaking out through their pores and into furniture, clothes etc... and then they get to look after them in their maybe-not-so-old-age when they're dying of cancer. Don't use the privacy argument on this one... there are other issues where it fits much better.

....smoking does not CAUSE death. It causes cancer and other diseases....

A= smoking

B= cancer and other diseases

C= death

"A" causes "B"

and

"B" causes "C"

So one degree of separation reduces any culpability of the cigarette habit toward causing death? I don't get your point. blink.png