Kamnan Poh's Family May Seek Royal Pardon, Says His Son, Minister Sonthaya

webfact

Somchai yesterday admitted to being the same person convicted in a corruption case, subjecting him immediately to a five-year-and-four-month prison term, a Criminal Court hearing heard yesterday.

A coming session will soon hear from Somchai on whether he is the same person convicted and sentenced to 30 years' imprisonment for masterminding the murder of a fellow kamnan, Chief Justice Thawee Prajuablarb said.

So, no Sir that's not me who was convicted, I'm Kim you know.

Then you're free to go home ?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What an insult to his Majesty to even consider this. This is truly a move of desperation on behalf of the " clan"

who now are about to see their power be vaporized......

Why not ask for a pardon, other politicians, convicted of crimes have asked for a Royal Pardon, but did not receive it. So, why can't he?

The Khunpluem family is considering whether to seek a royal pardon for its patriarch Somchai, Culture Minister Sonthaya Kunplome, Somchai's son, said yesterday.

And so it begins.

Yes, and so it begins, and they think, regardless of convictions for murder and corruption, that he / that their family are entitled to some special dispensation of the appropriate laws, including the right to just walk away.

What's probably also in this picture is hundreds of lies told when needed to try to cover his whereabouts, in other words total disrespect for the law and the institutions which try to uphold the law.

Also total disrespect for the rights of the family of the murder vistim - their right to natural justice.

The day will come when the attitudes of society will put the brakes on people like this. But, unfortunately, not tomorrow.

Good post.Personally I would like to see a police investigation into whether Khun Sonthaya was aware of his father's presence.If he was that should mean dismissal and possibly imprisonment.

IMHO this post shows how far away from the reality that is Thailand you are.

The Khunpluem family is considering whether to seek a royal pardon for its patriarch Somchai, Culture Minister Sonthaya Kunplome, Somchai's son, said yesterday.

And so it begins.

The article even hints on the legal wrinkle that will be used, i.e. start the shorter sentence first and serve a third of that and forget about the longer one. Even the third will be reduced due to age and ill health and he will be allowed out frequently for medical treatment, birthday parties etc, if not all the time.

In countries like the US where the public worries about "closure' for the families of murder victims the media would ask them what they think. Nobody has mentioned anything about the feelings of the family of the guy he had offed. They obviously don't matter because they don't have huge ill gotten wealth and political influence. They still wake up every morning and grieve for their murdered father, husband etc.

Yes, and so it begins, and they think, regardless of convictions for murder and corruption, that he / that their family are entitled to some special dispensation of the appropriate laws, including the right to just walk away.

What's probably also in this picture is hundreds of lies told when needed to try to cover his whereabouts, in other words total disrespect for the law and the institutions which try to uphold the law.

Also total disrespect for the rights of the family of the murder vistim - their right to natural justice.

The day will come when the attitudes of society will put the brakes on people like this. But, unfortunately, not tomorrow.

Every Thai I speak to about this guy says to me, "his family very rich", like that somehow excuses his crimes or makes him worthy of some sort of respect.

Each and every day I am more convinced I was correct in not allowing my offspring to grow up here.

• Like 1

A Royal Pardon for a convicted murderer without mitigating evidence should be unthinkable.

A Royal Pardon for a corruption conviction.

Not if the government is serious about their policy of eradicating corruption.

• Like 1

And so it begins.

Good post.Personally I would like to see a police investigation into whether Khun Sonthaya was aware of his father's presence.If he was that should mean dismissal and possibly imprisonment.

IMHO this post shows how far away from the reality that is Thailand you are.

Why? There's a difference between hoping for an outcome and expecting it will take place.

"No one earns a privilege or stays above the law or regulations"

What he missed out was "except me, my father, my family, all my colleagues in Govt, the judiciary, the forces, anyone with lots of money and anyone with an old family name"

• Like 1

What he missed out was "except me, my father, my family, all my colleagues in Govt, the judiciary, the forces, anyone with lots of money and anyone with an old family name"

That's a succinct description of the corrupt old elites attitude that more enlightened Thais are struggling against

• Like 1

The other day when hauled in by police this guy was walking fine and wearing street clothes...

Now today we see him in a wheelchair and wearing what looks like hospital clothes....

Seems someone is trying to paint a picture here...

By the end of next week he'll be diagnosed as having dementia.

The other day when hauled in by police this guy was walking fine and wearing street clothes...

Now today we see him in a wheelchair and wearing what looks like hospital clothes....

Either that or more likely claim he has a bad heart, is very old and likely to die soon. So hey, let's not put him in jail, bail him. It's what they do with everyone else it seems.

Oh one more thing. Length of jail term or likelihood of seems to be directly proportional to the level of dirt that person holds over those that have influence.

Either that or more likely claim he has a bad heart, is very old and likely to die soon. So hey, let's not put him in jail, bail him. It's what they do with everyone else it seems.

It's a tried & tested ploy - pretend all sorts of 'illnesses' to gain sympathy. Pinochet & Mubarak come to mind.

As for the family, I'm sure he raised his sons to be a chip off the old block just as his defender Chalerm did. It's no wonder that places like Chonburi & Phuket are riddled with mafias.

Every Thai I speak to about this guy says to me, "his family very rich", like that somehow excuses his crimes or makes him worthy of some sort of respect.

Each and every day I am more convinced I was correct in not allowing my offspring to grow up here.

My Thai extended family (my wife's father was a fisherman & you know that was the first industry he got involved with) knew Somchai from the early days of his influence building as he assisted some of them by arranging introductions for employment at a local Tambon where they work to this day. They claim the person who he had murdered had put a contract hit on him and that's why he was killed - a Thai style business dispute resolution that we hear of on a regular basis in the media.

My Thai extended family (my wife's father was a fisherman & you know that was the first industry he got involved with) knew Somchai from the early days of his influence building as he assisted some of them by arranging introductions for employment at a local Tambon where they work to this day. They claim the person who he had murdered had put a contract hit on him and that's why he was killed - a Thai style business dispute resolution that we hear of on a regular basis in the media.

I guess thats OK then. He should have used that defence in court, I am sure it would have worked

Edited by waza

I guess thats OK then.

Not saying I approve, but you can be judgmental and ignore reality. If someone comes forward with information, tell me how effective the witness protection program is in Thailand? Remember the cops in the North of Thailand who were convicted of murder, sentenced, appealed, then released on bail; the witnesses then had their protection withdrawn. Good eh really encourages a civil society

Edited by simple1

I guess thats OK then.

Not saying I approve, but you can be judgmental and ignore reality. If someone comes forward with information, tell me how effective the witness protection program is in Thailand? Remember the cops in the North of Thailand who were convicted of murder, sentenced, appealed, then released on bail; the witnesses then had their protection withdrawn. Good eh really encourages a civil society

Cue The Sopranos' theme song (You woke up this morning, Got yourself a gun,..........)

Is this guy a red shirt or a Yellow ?

Red. There's a huge picture of Sonthaya on the Pheu Thai headquarters in Pattaya. Ittiphon is fairly well known to be red as well. They certainly picked the right time to get pulled over.

:)

I'm yet to see any of the Thai rich and/or powerful admit to anything.

This guy was convicted of crimes. Whether you agree that conviction was fair or not, you're not allowed to run away. It's also a crime.

When you're in such a high position, you should be saying "My dad did wrong. He knows he did and he will accept whatever punishment the courts decide to impose upon him"

Is there a Thai elite with even a single shred of class, honour or decency?

You have got to be kidding. This is what you would do to your Dad? You must have a wonderful family relationship. Do you hide the knives at the dinner table?

I'm yet to see any of the Thai rich and/or powerful admit to anything.

This guy was convicted of crimes. Whether you agree that conviction was fair or not, you're not allowed to run away. It's also a crime.

When you're in such a high position, you should be saying "My dad did wrong. He knows he did and he will accept whatever punishment the courts decide to impose upon him"

Is there a Thai elite with even a single shred of class, honour or decency?

You have got to be kidding. This is what you would do to your Dad? You must have a wonderful family relationship. Do you hide the knives at the dinner table?

If you're a high up politician with a fugitive dad, of course!!!

How else would you play it without looking like the crook that he already is?

And that would be the crowning achievement of that clan.

Chaiyo!

That's a succinct description of the corrupt old elites attitude that more enlightened Thais are struggling against

It seems that the corrupt new elites learn well.

The fact this asshol_e has the gall to even request a pardon? <deleted> and does the country even consider someone like this is deserving? He should be given another 30 years for contempt and attempted abuse of royalty.

Dont worry he will be out on bail before you can say "rule of law"

• Like 1

Is this guy a red shirt or a Yellow ?

Red. There's a huge picture of Sonthaya on the Pheu Thai headquarters in Pattaya. Ittiphon is fairly well known to be red as well. They certainly picked the right time to get pulled over.

smile.png

I guess it can't be a secret to be red if you're a minister in the PTP government.