My Sr400

Spoonman

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. sick of the police harassment and extortion. they tried it on for Bt.2000 on saturday because the bike is red in the book.

Bike is in bit's again and it will be red by the weekend for a run to Baen Saeng.

180k is high but with more than 250k in the bike the price has to start somewhere.

If it sells the monies will be going towards a Yamaha Bolt.

Edited by Spoonman

Intermittent problem = electric cause. Old parts develop unreliable internal resistance, coils are especially prone to due to degratation of winding insulation, and more so when hot. Usually undetectable by any bench instrument.

Went out and bought a DVM, but can get much of reading on any of the 5 coils I have, can you explain the test and expected readings?

Thanks

As mentioned above, don't bother trying measuring, these are undectectable faults. The only valid "test" is to try a fresh new coil.

Edited by paz

Intermittent problem = electric cause. Old parts develop unreliable internal resistance, coils are especially prone to due to degratation of winding insulation, and more so when hot. Usually undetectable by any bench instrument.

Went out and bought a DVM, but can get much of reading on any of the 5 coils I have, can you explain the test and expected readings?

Thanks

As mentioned above, don't bother trying measuring, these are undectectable faults. The only valid "test" is to try a fresh new coil.

Oh I see what you mean..no chance...... the bike an NV400 was built in 1983 for the home market and production ceased in '85. I have tried a secondhand Steed coil, then I got hold of a pair of secondhand NV400 coils and with any combination nothing made much if any difference.

Sorry for hijacking this thread somewhat....

Thanks

Oh I see what you mean..no chance...... the bike an NV400 was built in 1983 for the home market and production ceased in '85. I have tried a secondhand Steed coil, then I got hold of a pair of secondhand NV400 coils and with any combination nothing made much if any difference.

Sorry for hijacking this thread somewhat....

It is not always the coil to be faulty. It can also be the ignition box, or the pickup sensor.

was it not easier to change the colour in the greenbook ?

No.

Bike needs to go back to the province it is registered in to update the book with a colour change. I work here Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 5.30pm so taking the bike 3 hours away to do this is something I do not have the time to do.

Easier to change colour of bike (For me).

^^ Ahh, thought there must have been a reason.

I am in the same boat now (riding around on an old import that is red in the book and black in real life due to a recent colour change), and didn't really think it would be that much of an issue. Good to get real information about what happens in these situations, even though it sucks.

Sweet bike and good luck with the sale.

Legit SRs are pretty hard to find and this one is worth good money IMHO!

I see you have the same air compressor as I do!

The paint looks good It's a flat red with metallic black stripes?

Nah. flat cause I scrub with a brillo pad between paint coats. I bought the compressor to blows all the crud from my remote control Baja 5B after an outing. Is also good for blowing out crap in the carby and pumping up tyres...for the money it is an awesome compressor though.

For paint I just use rattle cans as for the little amount I do I cannot justify a spray gun and the rest of the stuff (Buying paint/thinners etc etc) that goes along with it.

I tossed on some clear and chucked it in the BBQ.

bbq_zps8fd119e3.jpg

lots of fluro light make it look bright.

This is more how it looks.

actual_zps89c5f1db.jpg

Edited by Spoonman

Nah. flat cause I scrub with a brillo pad between paint coats. I bought the compressor to blows all the crud from my remote control Baja 5B after an outing. Is also good for blowing out crap in the carby and pumping up tyres...for the money it is an awesome compressor though.

For paint I just use rattle cans as for the little amount I do I cannot justify a spray gun and the rest of the stuff (Buying paint/thinners etc etc) that goes along with it.

bbq_zps8fd119e3.jpg

actual_zps89c5f1db.jpg

Nice paint...I could never get a decent paint job out of a rattle can, always ends up all orange - peely. Maybe just too greedy with the coats I suppose. Looks as good as the black all the same. Talking about compressors though...I'm in the market for a decent quality heavy duty jobbie with +100 litre receiver, anyone any ideas for what to buy and/or where please?

cheers

Dod

Nice paint...I could never get a decent paint job out of a rattle can, always ends up all orange - peely. Maybe just too greedy with the coats I suppose. Looks as good as the black all the same. Talking about compressors though...I'm in the market for a decent quality heavy duty jobbie with +100 litre receiver, anyone any ideas for what to buy and/or where please?

cheers

Dod

That is what the BBQ is for. Lay on the paint and get it into the (warm) oven and the paint "flows" out smooth. fine line between too much paint (runs) and not enough (dry spots) though and has taken some practice to get a good result.

I bought my compressor from Thai Watsadu, they have a decent range from small to large.

cheers

Dod

That is what the BBQ is for. Lay on the paint and get it into the (warm) oven and the paint "flows" out smooth. fine line between too much paint (runs) and not enough (dry spots) though and has taken some practice to get a good result.

I bought my compressor from Thai Watsadu, they have a decent range from small to large.

That'll be why then...last time I tried it was in a shed in Scotland - after that i just gave up and got my mate to do it. He was ace at paint jobs...

I take it Thai Watsadu are down in the city? I'm out in the sticks (Isaan) and there's not a lot of choice up here. I'm trying to set myself up a decent workshop and finding decent kit is proving to be a project in itself... I've killed my GSXR 11 so its first on the slab once I'm up and running

I thought mine @ Bt.3800 to be a reasonable price.

I got the same one at HomePro for 3500 baht last year- it was a steal and a great thing to have in the house- I might upgrade to a larger-capacity compressor in the future as it's better for running air tools, but that little one is very handy for the reasons you already mentioned (and I'm anal about tire pressure and check and adjust it before every ride;)).