My Sr400

Spoonman

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And hinge the seat pan so that I can add a concealed underseat compartment to stash my ciggies/phone/wallet/condoms (need enigne back in to check air cleaner clearance before compart is fabricated).

Does the owner of the dog know about your escapades ?

Finished_01_RightSide_zps9169a219.jpg

Or (even worst), is it your dog ?

These are nice looking bikes and sound fantastic, I thought about one myself, but most I looked at had no book.

That aside, they are simple and, I am told reliable, making an ideal project bike, looking forward to seeing it finished.

Wish I had your workshop.........

Something to think about. Love these bikes and tried in vain to get a legal one. Fed up waiting bought one. Within 3 hours was stopped, police wanted to confiscate. Intervention by friend got me a 500 baht fine and 10 bottles of M150. Sold the bike a few weeks later without using it again. I interesting to know how anyone gets away with using these fantastic bikes

Sent from my ST27a using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Something to think about. Love these bikes and tried in vain to get a legal one. Fed up waiting bought one. Within 3 hours was stopped, police wanted to confiscate. Intervention by friend got me a 500 baht fine and 10 bottles of M150. Sold the bike a few weeks later without using it again. I interesting to know how anyone gets away with using these fantastic bikes

maybe you should have waited to get a "legal" one.

• Like 1

I ride it everyday in bkk.

Often get stopped I just smile refuse to show any documentations say that im a teacher at Chula. They usually smile and let me go. Worst scenario i have to give a 100.

But i think pattaya must be worse!

With a ban on all privately imported bikes, I think they should have an amnesty on these old grey imports.

For a fee of some kind, MOT the bike and then just issue a green book. They could collect taxes, record chassis and engine numbers, so if anything has been nicked there is chance that it could be traced. Plus the bike would have a number plate.

Then nick anyone without a book and a plate.

Don't ride it in the daytime at checkpoint hours ;-)

Thanks BSJ, lots of more detail to do... the positioning of those rear indicators now shit me (they were ok with the longer seat) so looking to recess them into the frame just (slightly) above the shocks.

The battery tray was also shitting me so I changed that (made a new one today at work)..... still not happy but it is "better".

Batttray02_zps90bbdaab.jpg

I have one with "legal" green book. Can't remember ever being stopped....but then I don't live in Pattaya or Bkk.

If you join the many SR Facebook groups, there are SR with green books popping up from time to time. Cost between 90k and 150k....depending on the parts they've put on. srthailand.com and thaiscooter.com are 2 other good places to look.

Nice work Spoonman! Let's go for a ride when you're done.

I designed a new tank for my tracker. Will get it back in a month...

post-159090-0-89143200-1381769149_thumb.post-159090-0-58057300-1381769155_thumb.

Edited by OmegaRacer

As a matter of fact, I'm just about to change the oil. Some water made its way inside during a recent downpour and what came out is disgustingly milky.

I use PTT Max Speed SAE40:API SF. Not sure how it compares to other brands.

How did so much water get into the sump, there is usually only a small dipstick hole, did you park under a drain-pipe?

Unless you have a very high performance bike, most bike oils are suitable, but I would always go for a multi-grade 10-40. If your oil is very contaminated I would first drain it, fill it with cheap oil, even adding an engine flush and then drain and refill with the chosen oil. Sludge can block your tiny oil-ways and starve vital parts from being lubricated.

With regards to the SR400 are they a bugga to start, as I think they are all kick starts and the single 400 is a big old lump?

As a matter of fact, I'm just about to change the oil. Some water made its way inside during a recent downpour and what came out is disgustingly milky.

How did so much water get into the sump, there is usually only a small dipstick hole, did you park under a drain-pipe?

Unless you have a very high performance bike, most bike oils are suitable, but I would always go for a multi-grade 10-40. If your oil is very contaminated I would first drain it, fill it with cheap oil, even adding an engine flush and then drain and refill with the chosen oil. Sludge can block your tiny oil-ways and starve vital parts from being lubricated.

With regards to the SR400 are they a bugga to start, as I think they are all kick starts and the single 400 is a big old lump?

The night before the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride I had to leave her outside and unprotected. It rained hard most of the night.

I'll ride a few 100km with the new oil and then do another oil change with a good flush. Thanks for the tip!

My SR has a Keihin CR38 (which I highly recommend) and is very easy to start, usually on the first kick. If I don't ride for a few weeks, she'll start on the second kick.

The night before the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride I had to leave her outside and unprotected. It rained hard most of the night.

I'll ride a few 100km with the new oil and then do another oil change with a good flush. Thanks for the tip!

My SR has a Keihin CR38 (which I highly recommend) and is very easy to start, usually on the first kick. If I don't ride for a few weeks, she'll start on the second kick.

I would empty the sump cold (don't circulate the sludge), change the filter add new cheap oil with 1/2 bottle engine flush, run the engine for 20 minutes, but don't ride it, and drain. Then another new filter and new oil, then after 2,000km add remaining flush and new oil + filter again. This may sound expensive, but cheaper that the possible alternative.

I just bought my 1983 Honda NV400 and the oil I took out was old with a little sludge and am doing just that. Cost: each fill up is 2.5litres @ 110baht per litre and a filter @150baht, flush 200baht, so a total of 1000baht and one early oil change for piece of mind.

• Like 1

So how did the water enter the engine, normally its impossible if all the covers are on it. Through the cranckcase breather maybe ?

I have 2 see-through engine covers, but I doubt they would let so much water come in. Oil is not coming out either...

My only guess is the crankcase breather, an aftermarket part that doesn't have the paper-like membrane, but is more open. That and a night of heavy rain are the culprits in my opinion.

When I changed the oil for the first time, I started the engine with the venting screw above the oil filter open to let the excess air come out, but this time I let the sludge come out too. Not all of it though, as I didn't have enough oil at home.

Maybe this Saturday I'll do another oil change. A friend of mine will teach me how to adjust the valves, so maybe I can kill 2 birds with one stone.