Confusion.

anon345535

Just kidding but it's good you check your receipt as there are sometimes mixups in price tags.

I actually felt stupid and quite bad about it.

The thought of it being 25B off had never even crossed my mind for some reason, until I got outside, considering it was milk, so close to it's sell by date and due to the way it was labelled. Particularly after the discount wasn't registered on the receipt.

There was no shouting or anything like that, I was polite, but I did ask, and point out several times, that the milk was 25B.

I've kept the receipt and 34.5B. I wonder how I'll get on trying to give it back :D

I bet the OP will be extra cautious and super friendly when using this particular store again... unless of course he does the right thing as he suggests in post #6 and go back with the receipt, seek out the sales clerk and the manager and give them back the 34.5 baht he clearly owes them. I bet he will get exemplary service after that.

The OP would have a field day in the likes of Tesco and Big-C where the BIG red-fonted price on the label on discounted goods tends to be the DIFFERENCE (what you save) between the full price and the discounted price. "This washing machine is only 1800 baht! Why you charge me 6200 baht?!"

Edited by NanLaew

It is your local store, you should go back. As said the cashier probably had to make up the shortfall. Plus some more confusion would be amusing. When vendors overchange me my wife has convinced me to go back (whereas before it would have been a case by case basis), the expression on their faces is worth it anyway. Different if it is a long way out of your way. And it is quite common in markets where some of them are only helping and dont have much change arithmetic skills.

In general do not like to fish.......but this is actually a great story. Hope people see why Thai;s in general wish most of us would be found washed up on shore as a half eaten corpse.

Yes I feel the same about foreigners in my country, especially brits and europeans who don't understand the concept of leaving a tip.

I wish their bullet ridden, fish eaten corpses would wash up on the shores of my glorious countryohmy.png

I agree with others on here. You pointed out that the milk was 25 baht which was wrong, they obviously did not want to offend you, but in the same vein, you must now be a man and go back to store and say, it is me who have made the mistake and you have conducted yourself honorably and then offer to pay the difference. Accept no refusal.

I too agree with others, they cannot afford to lose the money from their pay cheques, but also the credibility you would get for so little effort would be immense and creditibilty in Thailand is worth the grovel.

Have fun,

In general do not like to fish.......but this is actually a great story. Hope people see why Thai;s in general wish most of us would be found washed up on shore as a half eaten corpse.

Yes I feel the same about foreigners in my country, especially brits and europeans who don't understand the concept of leaving a tip.

I wish their bullet ridden, fish eaten corpses would wash up on the shores of my glorious countryohmy.png

As a Brit, we do not like leaving tips. It is abhorent to us to do so. However give us time and we can change, in the UK it is quite normal to go to a restuarant and to be ignored and when it comes time to pay the bill/check leave without any tip giving at all. We have an especially hard time in New York, when I was asked for a 20% tip, very hard time indeed.

Been back a few times since but neither of the two staff members had been working.

Went there this morning, a week later, to find both the manager and assistant there.

I gave the manager the 35B and explained my confusion and apologised.

I don't know if he understood what I said but he certainly understood what I meant.

The assistant was all smiles too after he went off to speak to her.

Job done.

Edited by c411um
  • Like 2

As a Brit, we do not like leaving tips. It is abhorent to us to do so. However give us time and we can change, in the UK it is quite normal to go to a restuarant and to be ignored and when it comes time to pay the bill/check leave without any tip giving at all. We have an especially hard time in New York, when I was asked for a 20% tip, very hard time indeed.

It is what it is, aliens who dont like it can refrain from eating out in the us, or not come in the first place

Been back a few times since but neither of the two staff members had been working.

Went there this morning, a week later, to find both the manager and assistant there.

I gave the manager the 35B and explained my confusion and apologised.

I don't know if he understood what I said but he certainly understood what I meant.

The assistant was all smiles too after he went off to speak to her.

Job done.

Good on you. The 35 baht payback was great compensation for everyone involved. I enjoyed your story.

The right thing to do is go back and give them the correct amount. The shortge usually comes out of the clerks paycheck. And they do not get that much as it is.

And if the till balance is 'over' at the end of the day, does the clerk get that as a bonus in her paycheck? I doubt very much.

That's by no means universal.

I know that many Brits. don't leave tips and don't like the US tipping culture. However, many do, including me. if the food and service are good, I leave a reasonable tip. It has to be really bad for me to leave nothing. It's good practice especially in a restaurant that you intend to visit regularly. In Thailand, given the low wages, it's especially appreciated.

Tipping is an entirely different subject than the OP's topic, and the tipping subject has been discussed many times before. I tip, but only at places where I get good service. I also tip in Thai places where I eat often, and do it as a random form of appreciation. I understand that Thais don't tip in these cafes, but a tip is where I can show I enjoy what they've done for me. It comes back later in small smiles and friendship.