Ministry Of Public Health Indicated Disease Resistance To Drugs Is Increasing In Thailand

Jai Dee

Ministry of Public Health indicated disease resistance to drugs is increasing in Thailand

The Ministry of Public Health has indicated that Thailand has an increased tendency for disease resistance to drugs.

Medical Services Department Director-General Phaichitr Warachit (ไพจิตร วราชิตร) said the Ministry of Public Health has laid down measures to develop the usage of antimicrobial drugs in hospitals, in order to prevent the resistance of diseases. Antimicrobials with proper qualities will be arranged for, whereas improvements will be made in disease monitoring and control. A system for supporting development of antimicrobials within hospitals will be concretely set up through collaboration with the Medical Science Department.

Information indicates that resistance is being increasing experienced in treatment of several diseases. Among them, cases of Streptococcus, which cause pneumonia in small children, had a 48% resistance rate against Penicillin.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 28 Febuary 2006

No wonder this is happening I was up country to visit the wifes family and after a good night :D The next morning I see them taking some pills for a sore throut so i ask so see them. It was amoxicillin 500 mg and they were only taking 1 each so I told them this will not help there sore throut. I said this medicine is for people who are very sick then 1 person must take a full packet or course to get better or go see a doctor. I can see this has been happening all over thailand for a very long time due to stupid pharmacies and it will not get any better. :o

Wasn't there a warning some time ago from the WHO saying that too often, antibiotics were prescribed and that it somehow accelerated viruses to become immune faster to antibiotics, therefore making it harder for the pharmaceutical industry to stay one step ahead?

I've been prescribed antibiotics here quite a few times when I thought it was not really necessary.

antibiotics does not help against viruses, they are against bacteria only.

Thats also the reason why antibiotica help zero if you have a flu.

the generell difference is a bacteria is a simple small animal, while a virus is just a container of DNA or RNA, which it injects in a cell to reprogram ist to produce new viruses.

So a virus is not alive, it is a dead piece of protein and DNA, it does not eat anything it is only waiting....

Thats why it is more difficult to fight them.

For Thailand the problem is that you get strong antibiotica for everything. I see my staff if the nose it itching the second day they run in the pharmacy and eat a lot tablett....

Wasn't there a warning some time ago from the WHO saying that too often, antibiotics were prescribed and that it somehow accelerated viruses to become immune faster to antibiotics, therefore making it harder for the pharmaceutical industry to stay one step ahead?

I've been prescribed antibiotics here quite a few times when I thought it was not really necessary.

• 1 year later...

How much is this a case of the diseases gaining resistance, or Thai people losing resistance or effectiveness of Anti-Biotics due to over/mis-use.

Is the disease still resistant if the person taking antibiotics has never had them or misused them before?

Is the disease still resistant if the person taking antibiotics has never had them or misused them before?

old thread , resurrected ,

in answer to your ? , yes the disease becomes resistant to the available drugs and new ones need to be developed .

you can get antibiotics in Thailand over the counter, unlike for example in Europe where you need a prescription. I know people who think if they take one pill of let's say Amoxicillyn they won't get an STD after unprotected sex!

All it actually does is make bacteria immune to these medications!