Thai Govt Wants Youtube Sex Spoof Removed

webfact

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The upstanding Minister of (Thai) Culture is The Right Honorable Gentleman Sontaya Kunpluem, whose father is arguably the most famous convicted criminal gangster on Thai soil at the moment.

I wonder if he saw this article. I have never been to a full moon party... are they like this?

http://www.thesun.co...oh-phangan.html

Edited by Minnehaha
  • Like 1

I'm hoping the SNL gang does a spoof on the Thai Government, itself. I can imagine a hilarious parody in the making... 555!

YES!

Wouldnt that be a hit? So much material.

The Minister of Culture is the son of the countrys most notorious gangster and convicted murderer who lived down the street in Chonburi for years... probably at his own home... riding around in friends cars... and evaded detection by the police. Its just a starting point but this is quite interesting Thai Culture.

If the British (or American or Aussie or [particularly] Irish) government got out of joint over every tiny little (and it is tiny little) parody they would have no time left to govern.

Actually, keep the Thai government occupied with more of these and the country will do just fine without their influence.

• Like 2

The Thai government would do better to have a quiet word with Youtube instead of whipping up public resentemnt. I would have missed the video ( I found it hilarious) had it not been made in to an issue by the government :) Removing it might create more demand to view it and/or more spoofs from those naughty folks at SNL :)

I think Thailand should stop all exports to the U.S. Those funny Bastards(not), that would for sure teach em a lesson.

Seriously? Blame an entire country for the comedy clip of one show? Are you sure you are not a comedy writer?

Sometimes I think I am. tongue.png

They expect the US Embassy to do something about it? They're probably laughing their <deleted> off also. There are so many much worse videos on YouTube regarding the night life. Are they going after all of them too?

I think that this is simply that the truth hurts. These cultural idiots really do have their heads in the sand.

Google "fake watches" and Bangkok and Patong top the list

Google "bar girls" and Udon Thani, Krabi, Hua Hin and Pattaya top the list

Google "prostitutes" and Pattaya and Chiang Mai top the list.

Google "murder godfather" and the minister's father tops the list.

Mr. Sonthaya Khunploem - when you talk with Eric Schmidt you might like to bring this up with him also.......

Seems you use another Google than the one I use. All wrong (of the above). Solution: Screenshots or 'shut-ups' please.

Thailand has spent years building up this reputation of itself. They made thier bed so lay in it. The tourism numbers aren't smashing records year after year because of the Temple and friendly tuk tuk drivers. Geez I wouldn't be suprised if this clip was endorsed and financed by T.A.T.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Don't you just hate it when reality rears its ugly head from time-to-time? sad.png

BANGKOK (Reuters, AP) - Thailand yesterday banned a dictionary published by the British company Longman after it provoked government and public protests by describing Bangkok as a city known for its prostitutes.

A police special branch officer told reporters that Longman's Dictionary of English Language and Culture was banned as its Bangkok entry eroded the good moral standards of Thais. He said copies of the dictionary would be removed from bookstores.

It described Bangkok as a city known for its Buddhist temples and as 'a place where there are a lot of prostitutes'.

The Thai Foreign Ministry has demanded that Longman delete the offending reference, and said yesterday the company had apologised for offending the country and its people.

Della Summers from Longman said that her company 'understands the concern expressed by the Thai government in connection with the (Bangkok) entry'. She said the edition aimed 'to set words in their cultural context, and the connotations attached to the word Bangkok and commonly understood by native-speakers of English are drawn from books and magazines in our wordbank'.

Although the statement fell short of promising that Longman would delete the offending reference, it said the company would revise the dictionary at least once a year.

Abhisit Vejajjiva, a government spokesman, said defining Bangkok by its prostitution problem was like defining London by soccer hooliganism and Irish Republican Army attacks.

'We do not deny the existence of the problem. But we do not believe it should be used as the definition of this city,' Mr Abhisit said.

But others want Thailand to attack the problem, not the dictionary. 'The government should take action instead of just being ashamed of the international image of the country,' said Chantawipa Apisuk, head of a prostitutes' rights group.

Officials say there are some 80,000 prostitutes in the country, but unofficial counts are far higher. Twenty per cent of the prostitutes are thought to be under 18.

Ms Chantawipa said some unemployed young women are lured from villages with offers of secretarial jobs in Bangkok. Others are sold to brothels by impoverished parents. Many end up in bars, entertaining the tens of thousands of foreign tourists who visit every year.

Source: http://www.independe...ur-1483226.html

thought to be 80,000 hookers in the country? <deleted> there is more than that on Sukhumvit alone... ( allegedly )

• Like 1

On French TV and radio, we have this kind of joke 12587 times a day. Probably the same in any other farang country.

To tell the truth, I feel that kind of gross but it would be stupid to complain.

Thai authorities are probably ready to eradicate prostitution but they never found the places: Patpong and cowboy are not in the GPS.

• Like 2

I'm sorry, but this sketch was really funny, although it reminds people of the sad truth and reputation of Thailand, but what they said in the video, everyone knows it.

And unfortunately, that's the first thing that come out of the mouths of my friends when I tell them I'm going to Thailand for vacations.

Don't you just hate it when reality rears its ugly head from time-to-time? sad.png

BANGKOK (Reuters, AP) - Thailand yesterday banned a dictionary published by the British company Longman after it provoked government and public protests by describing Bangkok as a city known for its prostitutes.

A police special branch officer told reporters that Longman's Dictionary of English Language and Culture was banned as its Bangkok entry eroded the good moral standards of Thais. He said copies of the dictionary would be removed from bookstores.

It described Bangkok as a city known for its Buddhist temples and as 'a place where there are a lot of prostitutes'.

The Thai Foreign Ministry has demanded that Longman delete the offending reference, and said yesterday the company had apologised for offending the country and its people.

Della Summers from Longman said that her company 'understands the concern expressed by the Thai government in connection with the (Bangkok) entry'. She said the edition aimed 'to set words in their cultural context, and the connotations attached to the word Bangkok and commonly understood by native-speakers of English are drawn from books and magazines in our wordbank'.

Although the statement fell short of promising that Longman would delete the offending reference, it said the company would revise the dictionary at least once a year.

Abhisit Vejajjiva, a government spokesman, said defining Bangkok by its prostitution problem was like defining London by soccer hooliganism and Irish Republican Army attacks.

'We do not deny the existence of the problem. But we do not believe it should be used as the definition of this city,' Mr Abhisit said.

But others want Thailand to attack the problem, not the dictionary. 'The government should take action instead of just being ashamed of the international image of the country,' said Chantawipa Apisuk, head of a prostitutes' rights group.

Officials say there are some 80,000 prostitutes in the country, but unofficial counts are far higher. Twenty per cent of the prostitutes are thought to be under 18.

Ms Chantawipa said some unemployed young women are lured from villages with offers of secretarial jobs in Bangkok. Others are sold to brothels by impoverished parents. Many end up in bars, entertaining the tens of thousands of foreign tourists who visit every year.

Source: http://www.independe...ur-1483226.html

"Abhisit Vejajjiva, a government spokesman, said defining Bangkok by its prostitution problem was like defining London by soccer hooliganism and Irish Republican Army attacks."

What a moron. Is he on something or just plain ignorant ? So the scale of prostitution in BKK - which was very large even before the Second World War and very little to do with foreigners then - is mirrored by the scale of soccer hooliganism and/or IRA attacks in London ? Words fail me - absolutely unadulterated, weak-brained crap. What a tit.

• Like 1