Caution: Tile Floors When Wet

infinity11

They are extremely slippery, had many a too close for comfort encounter with a slip here and there.

I am sure there are some major stories in this regard. Even a slight amount of liquid from a condensing cold cup or otherwise can cause a slip.

Edited by infinity11

Good warning. I have 3 pairs of rubber sole sandals and one pair of rubber sole hiking shoes. Only one pair is good on wet tiles or wet rocks. Every rubber composition is different. Soap on the shower stall floor can be slippery in bare feet as well.

I presume you are talking mainly bathrooms when stepping out of the shower carelessly can result in a nasty a-se over tip.

I now have an array of mats and towels ready for my exit..

Still tile floors are not my favourite.

My whole apartment is tiled. The only time I am disturbed by the tenant above is when he has a very late night and I don't. He sits at his table, presumably enjoying a drink with friends and all I can hear is the scraping of chairs on the floor.

I've mentioned it and he tries to desist, but it would be difficult for him/them to always remember.

Some apartments "boast" tile floors in their spec. I prefer carpets.

Edited by Beechboy

Uhm, is it not obvious that tile floors tend to be slippery when wet? Do we need signs and warnings to tell us so? What about polished floors and mats? Polished floors / stairways when wet.

Even a bath back in the home country can be slippery when wet, that is why many use rubber mats.

Generally bathroom tiles have more grip.

The idea is that you take a bit more care.

It's not the slipperiness that I detest so much, it's the trench foot that comes from never being able to let my feet dry out. Walk into the bathroom to brush my teeth or wash my hands, and I have to stand in a thin film of somebody else's stale shower water.

And just try dropping your trousers to sit on the toilet. When you pull them back up, you'll notice they're now soaked to the knees. How in the world has this kind of bathroom design persisted for so long?

What is worse, the floors are never sloped so that the water drains away quickly.