Ordering Books From Amazon Online

The Coder

After searching many bookstores in Thailand I was not able to find any books on linux kernel programming. So reluctantly as a last resort I placed an order for a number of books online from Amazon's web site. I was first wondering whether it would be possible because the credit card I used has a USA street address and I specified the shipping address in Thailand which I figured would draw a red flag. This was not a problem at all and the order went through automatically. Next I wondered how long it would take and if I would have to pick up at the post office zoo. I ordered on a Tuesday night and Friday morning DHL was knocking on MY door in Bangkok with the complete order, wow fast! Expedited shipping for this box of books was about $50 and they were shipped from the USA. Amazon's online tracking is neat as you can watch the shipment each step of the way. The last thing I wondered is how much import duty it would cost. There was none! So a very good experience I thought I would pass on for reference.

I've never been charged customs duty on any books I have ordered.

Daedalus books is a good site for remainders, they have lots of unusual books and a good price for (surface) shipping.

The thing that puts me off using Amazon is the charge of 10 dollars per item, for delivery into Thailand. So Iwait until I go back to Europe or the States and bring a large order back with me.

Usually get by picking up books in Singapore airport when en-route to work.

I've never ordered to Thailand from Amazon, but I've ordered a few times to a US address from them. My credit card has a Thai billing address. The first time, I had the items sent to my hotel, and that went by without any problems. The second time, I had it shipped to a friend's place, and for that they required that I send them a fax of a recent CC bill. A big hassle, but at least it came through (at last). For books, I just go to the local Barnes and Noble when I go to the US and pick up around 20+ books to bring back to Thailand.

The thing that puts me off using Amazon is the charge of 10 dollars per item, for delivery into Thailand. So Iwait until I go back to Europe or the States and bring a large order back with me.

Usually get by picking up books in Singapore airport when en-route to work.

S&H is based on weight not per item as far as I can tell. Just received an order yesterday for two items from Amazon, total S&H was $8.97. We often order Physics/Math books from them and am also impressed with their fast delivery.

Just as an FYI for anyone interested in sending alot of books over that has time to spare.

Every year when I go home I collect books (goodwill, friends, library sales etc) that I will want to read. I then go to the US post office, get an M bag (it is a big mail bag). Wrap up a set of 4-5 books in plastic bags with my name and Thai address on each bundle, throw them in the bag, take them back to the post office and mail them for about $1/lb. Minimum 15 lbs, max 60 lbs. It comes surface and in all the years I have been doing this I have only ever had one bag go missing (the year I didn't put my name and address on all the bundled books inside). It gives me alot of reading for a very reasonable price.

I don't know if the UK or European mail systems offer this service but I wouldn't be surprised. It is basically printed matter bulk rate .

It comes surface and in all the years I have been doing this I have only ever had one bag go missing (the year I didn't put my name and address on all the bundled books inside). It gives me alot of reading for a very reasonable price.

Sounds like a good idea. I did that once after I moved here and don't remember how long it took (several weeks I believe) but was in no hurry and the costs were good. How long did it take for yours?

Do they deliver CDs to Thailand? I mean software. What's the shipping/postal charge. By weight? By Item? Does Amazon UK deliver?

The two items I ordered were DVDs so I don't see why CDs with software would be an issue. As I mentioned in my previous post the S&H was $8.97 and is by weight and was sent by DHL GlobalMail.

I have placed about 10 Amazon orders over the past year, and they all have been delivered no problem.

I have always used there "Standard International Shipping". It is mailed through the USPS, and they charge by weight. It takes about 7-10 business days, and I've never had a problem with it. If you are a Nervous Nelly, you could go with the DHL option, but it costs a good deal more.

On 8 of the 10 deliveries, there was not customs charge, even thought the items and value were clearly printed on the outside of the box. On the other two, I had to go to the post office to claim the box, and had to pay a duty on the items (Both cases they were DVD's).

After those two instances, I have taken to shipping to my wife's business address, using her name, and have never had another duty applied.

Lastest order was a batch of baby books (paperback, to save weight). They were quite heavy, anyway (DR. Spock was 900 pages).

Book total was US $25, and shipping was US$ 20.

Peace

See the link below for the rates on the Amazon site.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/bro...7397118-8576740

As you can see this could be quite expensive.

For the last 3 months I have been working on a ship, and have managed to get people coming out to the vessel to hand carry my purchases to the vessel. I have had no problem ordering things and getting them delivered to 2 different addresses. I have not had to show any credit card invoices, or anything like that. Amazon have been very prompt in getting the right goods sent out, without any problems whatsoever.

My experience with CC orders is that it really depends. Sometimes the situation changes, such as with Skype, which TV members say don't accept CC billing to Thailand anymore. My Citibank Visa card has also been very unpredictable. I have a monthly billing for an internet host in the US, and sometimes it's rejected by Citibank, sometimes it's not. When it's rejected, a phone call to Citibank is needed to clear things up. They say it's to protect against fraud, but I say it's BS, if they can't see that it's a monthly bill (either that or their programmers are totally brain-dead). They also said that they will no longer accept any internet purchases (again, for fraud protection) unless you call them and pre-approve the exact amount and company first. That really takes away most of the reason I even have a credit card: convenience and internet purchases.

After those two instances, I have taken to shipping to my wife's business address, using her name, and have never had another duty applied.

As usual, customs is a hit and miss proposition. I suspect I get more through without customs interference because I have everything shipped to my university address. I guess after placing a hundred or more orders from abroad (not just Amazon and including electronic components) I may have been hit by customs on two items.

On the other hand we had to ship an expensive piece of electronics out of the country for repair and on its' return has been sitting at customs for nearly a month due to improper paperwork from the repairing company forcing us to put our research project on hold. :o

Edited by tywais

question is was the paperwork improper or did only the customs say that the paperwork is improper.

I had a few crazy problems with customs but often no problem. Problematic things I got per EMS (fedex is the hel_l) and went myself to that clearing thing. there I am very friendly good dresses and don't speak thai and everything is running pretty fair (till now).

As usual, customs is a hit and miss proposition. I suspect I get more through without customs interference because I have everything shipped to my university address. I guess after placing a hundred or more orders from abroad (not just Amazon and including electronic components) I may have been hit by customs on two items.

On the other hand we had to ship an expensive piece of electronics out of the country for repair and on its' return has been sitting at customs for nearly a month due to improper paperwork from the repairing company forcing us to put our research project on hold. :o