Speeding Brit Rear Ends Lady Thai Motorbiker

Rimmer

In reply to 'Thailand Bound' in earlier post.

I have been told a number of times by my wife that if I have an accident here with a motorcycle then as I am driving a car then the police will say it is my fault irrespective whether I did anything wrong. Very frightening!!

Only two weeks ago a cousin of my wife, who is constantly drunk, left work to travel back to the village for a wedding. For some reason he was walking (staggering more likely) in the middle of a 4 lane road. He got hit by 4 cars. The last car that hit him stopped, the others didn't. The police wanted to charge the last driver with causing death by dangerous driving but in the end decided not to when a doctor examined what was left of the body and confirmed multiple hits.

Meanwhile the driver was expected to pay the man's family for his death. They are asking for 500,00B but he has offered 150,000B. He is refusing saying that he will instead spend 3 months in jail.

Though sad for the wife losing a member of the family even she agrees that the car driver was not in the wrong but says this is Thailand that's how it is.

Those who drive without 1st class insurance here in Thailand are taking a huge risk.

• Like 1

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Her fault but we know who will get the blame..

How could you possibly know who was at fault? This "unbiased" report detailing what he was doing and what she did appears to be solely based on his account of what happened ... including the comment that he was travelling at "high speed." And certainly in most cases if you rear-end someone it means you were at fault. Distracted by looking in your rear-view mirror or playing with the radio or on the mobile phone or whatever aren't normally considered the basis for a rock solid defense.

It's almost as if you felt able to assign guilt using the standard TV formula: Farang-good, Thai-bad.

you obviously dont drive in Thailand everyday and if you took a minute to look at the damage to the car you can see that its on the side not the front of the car.. she pulled out without looking.. Happens everyday to me so its pretty obvious

I have been told a number of times by my wife that if I have an accident here with a motorcycle then as I am driving a car then the police will say it is my fault irrespective whether I did anything wrong. Very frightening!!

Only two weeks ago a cousin of my wife, who is constantly drunk, left work to travel back to the village for a wedding. For some reason he was walking (staggering more likely) in the middle of a 4 lane road. He got hit by 4 cars. The last car that hit him stopped, the others didn't. The police wanted to charge the last driver with causing death by dangerous driving but in the end decided not to when a doctor examined what was left of the body and confirmed multiple hits.

Meanwhile the driver was expected to pay the man's family for his death. They are asking for 500,00B but he has offered 150,000B. He is refusing saying that he will instead spend 3 months in jail.

Though sad for the wife losing a member of the family even she agrees that the car driver was not in the wrong but says this is Thailand that's how it is.

Those who drive without 1st class insurance here in Thailand are taking a huge risk.

Thanks for replying, about the same as Indonesia only case I know where a motorcycle loses is turning right when over taking on the left here or car turning left with motorcycle over taking on the left going straight but that is only sometime when and if witnesses by a cop and even sometimes then. Damage to the car or not.

Is that name an anagram?

Probably Italian. They owned the UK many hundreds of years ago.

I must have not been paying attention in my History lessons, please elaborate.

errm the Romans ( what have they ever given us ?)

Not sure the Romans ever considered themselves "Italians". "Italian" is a more recent term, and not sure there was anything called the "UK" in the Roman occupation period.

But I accept you drift. Thanks.

Incorrect to say it is the foreigners fault, or the car drivers fault when a car and a motorcycle have an accident.

I was driving the correct way up a one way street when a m/c came out of a side road and turned to drive the wrong way down the one way street, hitting my car damaging the front bumper and also gashing the side wall of the front tyre.

The owner of the uninsured, untaxed m/c with a rider who had no licence was made to pay full restitution. All negotiations took place by my then girlfriend who was a passenger in the car at the time of the accident and I was never once asked anything at all.

Incorrect to say it is the foreigners fault, or the car drivers fault when a car and a motorcycle have an accident.

I was driving the correct way up a one way street when a m/c came out of a side road and turned to drive the wrong way down the one way street, hitting my car damaging the front bumper and also gashing the side wall of the front tyre.

The owner of the uninsured, untaxed m/c with a rider who had no licence was made to pay full restitution. All negotiations took place by my then girlfriend who was a passenger in the car at the time of the accident and I was never once asked anything at all.

Just curious, how much was the damages and how much did he actually pay back to you?

I am disgusted to see that some people on here find it okay to put links on here to peoples personal youtube and other accounts

there are many victims in this case. both parties have families making it a very traumatic time for them

the british driver does not need people joking about his name and background,especially strangers.how do you know that he wont see this posting on here himself?

do you have nothing better to do? grow up and respect these people at a very difficult time. he was not speeding.

• Like 1

pominic nardone does not sound like a british name...

Possibly Dominic, the D having been misread as a P.

There is someone of that name in the area:

http://www.youtube.c...Q?feature=watch

why put things like this on here?

unbelievable.how do you know that you have the correct person and also be so intrusive. show some respect.

I am disgusted to see that some people on here find it okay to put links on here to peoples personal youtube and other accounts

there are many victims in this case. both parties have families making it a very traumatic time for them

the british driver does not need people joking about his name and background,especially strangers.how do you know that he wont see this posting on here himself?

do you have nothing better to do? grow up and respect these people at a very difficult time. he was not speeding.

To post that so confidently you must have some inside info or you are clairvoyant, if it is the latter, will the price of gold per troy ounce reach over 2100 USD sometime this year?

Edited by Rimmer
Altered quote

unbelievable.how do you know that you have the correct person and also be so intrusive. show some respect.

Huh? Who put you in charge?

As a response to discussion about the name "pominic" I suggested a more likely spelling, I copied some freely available information from the internet and I mentioned that someone of that name lived in the area. At no time did I suggest that the Dominic Nardone in the link is the same Pominic Nardone mentioned in the news report.

Maybe if people dont want their names and personal details to be used in public they should think twice about posting them online in blogs etc in the first place? I would.

It usually takes two to have the accident - only the percentage of culpability is in question.

absolute rubbish ...mate was killed after be rear ended ....his culpability ...nil he was stopped at a school crossing ...the cxxt ran into the back of him doing 100 ks in a 40 zone and three times over the limit ....so where do u get this percentage shit from ....maybe the old ...wrong place wrong time crap

Just curious, how much was the damages and how much did he actually pay back to you?

The cost to me was 7,000 Baht and she gave 9,000 cash.

The quote from one repair place for the repair that both parties respected was 9,000 Baht but I knew somewhere that would do it for less so I took the car there. He rebuilt the bumper and repaired some minor damage to the offside wing. Replacing the tyre was not really a problem with plenty of shops about.

It could have cost the owner a lot more if I had not kept my mouth shut about the newer Toyota she bounced off after colliding with me :)

To post that so confidently you must have some inside info or you are clairvoyant, if it is the latter, will the price of gold per troy ounce reach over 2100 USD sometime this year?

i see that people are still finding it funny to take the piss. haha you crack me up!

Huh? Who put you in charge?

As a response to discussion about the name "pominic" I suggested a more likely spelling, I copied some freely available information from the internet and I mentioned that someone of that name lived in the area. At no time did I suggest that the Dominic Nardone in the link is the same Pominic Nardone mentioned in the news report.

Maybe if people dont want their names and personal details to be used in public they should think twice about posting them online in blogs etc in the first place? I would.

huh? who put you in charge of investigating news cases? why bother trying to look up peoples names etc? does it give you satisfaction?

absolutely pointless.

huh? who put you in charge of investigating news cases? why bother trying to look up peoples names etc? does it give you satisfaction?

absolutely pointless.

I was interested in what the name could possibly be as "pominic" seemed unlikely. Having worked out that "Dominic" would be a more likely spelling, it occurred to me that the entire name was unusual enough to probably give very few hits on Google. So I Googled it to see. I found it interesting that the first hit was a Briton who appears to live in the same area. There was also some drummer from Canada with a very similar name, but that seemed less likely.

Does it give me satisfaction to work something out logically? It sure does. That's why I do it. I do puzzles and quizzes also for exactly the same reason, and it was also the reason why I worked with computers for many years and still do many things with them now I am retired.

But I dont investigate news cases and I dont give a xxxx about who the guy is or what he has done or why he chooses to put all his personal information on the internet for all to see. That's his business. I was just intrigued by the name and my interest ends there.

Pointless? Of course it is. This is an internet forum and not much that happens on here has any great significance (except the threads about finding the best pizza, of course).

pominic nardone does not sound like a british name...

Whilst I agree that it may not be the same person, I fail to see how can it be intrusive to provide a link to a Youtube clip?

Surely the whole point of loading up a Youtube clip is because you want people to look at it?

It usually takes two to have the accident - only the percentage of culpability is in question.

Lol, I often see reports of Thais colliding with stationery lamposts, going straight on a bends etc so I dispute the statement it usually takes 2 to have an accident in

Thailand !

Just as a side note: it's not just in Thailand that the "bigger" vehicle is always at fault in accidents: I know for a fact that in New Zealand it is the same - if you hit a bicycle or a bicycle hits you in the car (or a pedestrian), as the car driver you're at fault regardless of the circumstances. I believe this also to be the case in European countries but not 100% certain. The reason for this rule is to protect the "weaker" road users, apparently. There's not many motorbikes in NZ so I never heard whether motorbikes vs cars also have the car at fault but I'm pretty sure as the bike is a weaker road user than the car.

Just as a side note: it's not just in Thailand that the "bigger" vehicle is always at fault in accidents: I know for a fact that in New Zealand it is the same - if you hit a bicycle or a bicycle hits you in the car (or a pedestrian), as the car driver you're at fault regardless of the circumstances. I believe this also to be the case in European countries but not 100% certain. The reason for this rule is to protect the "weaker" road users, apparently. There's not many motorbikes in NZ so I never heard whether motorbikes vs cars also have the car at fault but I'm pretty sure as the bike is a weaker road user than the car.

Simply not true in any first world country.

Simply not true in any first world country.

I consider the Netherlands a first world country, there if you hit a bicycle even if the bicycle is to blame they never have to pay more as 50% because they are the weaker party. I admit its not 100% like the other poster is saying.

What a weird thing for your wife to say, Ive bounced a few scooters (some hit me/ some I hit). every time it was all sorted by my insurance company and the only time they paid (for other than my vehicle) was the one I was in the wrong for, you need to upgrade your wife me thinks.

Edited by Spoonman

Yes of course, when I was stationary at a red light on pattaya nua and two motorcycles collided and then ran into the side of my car, I thought i would be paying something, especially as the riders would not accept the cops decision and made us go to the station to sort it out..... Imagine my surprise when the police at the station blamed both riders and forced them to pay for my car repairs.

The guy in question here is a friend of mine and he called myself and another friend on the day it happened for help and advice, he was at the police station at the time. The only question the 'reporter' asked him was his name and as we know - that was wrong, also if you read the report in The Pattaya Mail today most of what was written in there was also wrong.

He was driving from Pattaya returning home to Bang Saray, not drunk, not speeding, not driving recklessly, he noticed 2 motorbikes on the hard shoulder to his left and within seconds the bike that was behind drove into the road to try and overtake the one in front and this brought the bike into the path of the car - complete accident, happened within seconds and unfortunately the lady later lost her life. The police had all of details and I.D card etc when we arrived at the station and when asked about the state of the lady they said she was in hospital and being taken care of, the car was a rental car and had 3rd party insurance with up to 500,000 for hospital bills etc and also we found out that the lady was also covered under a works insurance BUT whilst at the police station all they seemed to be interested in was how much, who's paying etc etc and as we later found out the lady in hospital wasn't treated by the quacks as they didn't know who she was or who was paying, it was around 12 hours later that some bright spark at the hospital found and turned on a mobile phone that was in her procession did they find out who she was and that she was fully covered by the works insurance at the least, this was when the ladies friends and family found out where she was, the police hadn't contacted the hospital at all form the time she was taken from the scene of the accident.

It's being sorted out with the family, police etc.

Folks, we have all had near misses with bikes, trucks even large buses that jump red lights and honk if your in the way unfortunately on this occasion it wasn't a near miss.

Make sure you have 1st class insurance, don't leave the scene of an accident and contact your insurance company.

Safe driving.

Edited by BIGJIMMY

<snip>

the bike that was behind drove into the road to try and overtake the one in front and this brought the bike into the path of the car

<snip>

Are you saying that the now deceased lady was riding the bike that overtook the one in front?