Tilley Hats

hellodolly

I forgot mine in a tuck tuck and when I caught up top the driver he said he had not seen it.

I use him often and know if he had seen it he would have saved it for me.

Does any one know of a place in Chiang Mai that would handle them I looked on google no help there. Barring no hat here is there a reputable place I could get my hat size measured. I could then order it on line.

No fat head is an unacceptable size. That and checking Google should get me by a couple of posters.

Maybe I shoild misspell a word for them.

Any information appreciated. The wife got me a dorky looking hat and I don't know how to explain it to her. Easier to wear it until I can get a decent hat.

Measuring for a Tilley is easier than measuring for most hats, as Tilley sizes their hats in 1/8"s.

6 7/8 7 7 1/8 7 1/4 7 3/8 7 1/2 7 5/8 7 3/4 7 7/8 8 8+

Tilley recommends that when you measure your head just above your ears, you don't pull the tape tightly. Tilley wants you to let your ears support the hat. Personally, I don't like that feeling and went with a tighter fit just above my ears. If you are still not sure, you can tie a string around your head, cut it length, and mail that to them, letting them pick the correct size.

But with Tilley mail order, if you don't like the fit you can always return it for a different size as long as you haven't washed the hat or worn it.

Edit: I don't work for Tilley. I just wear one, and have for the past 12 years. Same one. Still looks as good as new.

Edited by FolkGuitar

Thanks for the Info. Not sure if they will deliver here or if I do order one I should have the ex mail it from Canada.

Problem being I saw so many different hats ion the web sites not sure if I want to get the same one. Will be probably visiting in August might hold of until then. Just have to get rid of this dork hat the wife got me.

Just a point of interest I pretty well figured two people would answer this one Your self and one other who PMed me.

Tilley is not that well known as it is high quality and costly. The hat I had goes for $74 Canadian now.

I never looked into their clothing but I can imagine it would be an expensive investment. But probably pay of in the long run as it is guaranteed for life.

Edited by hellodolly

The wife got me a dorky looking hat and I don't know how to explain it to her. Easier to wear it until I can get a decent hat.

Maybe you can "forget" the new hat in a Tuk Tuk? You know, saving face and all that. biggrin.png

Now there is a plan.clap2.gif

Prob;em being I still need a replacement.sad.png

I had no idea they were called Tilley hats, so thanks for a little googling inspiration. I picked up a decent one at the export shop on Huay Kaew b4 the Canal about 3 yrs ago. You might go have a look there, though the variety and sizes are hit n miss on some things. But mine's decent, I use it when fishing or gardening, and it cost me all of $4 or something ridiculous like that.

I had no idea they were called Tilley hats, so thanks for a little googling inspiration. I picked up a decent one at the export shop on Huay Kaew b4 the Canal about 3 yrs ago. You might go have a look there, though the variety and sizes are hit n miss on some things. But mine's decent, I use it when fishing or gardening, and it cost me all of $4 or something ridiculous like that.

They are called

Tilley hats because that is the name of the maker. There are lots of knock offs that look pretty decent but do not have the quality. A Tilley is guaranteed for life. It is made out of a vary durable material and will hold a shape. In three years they will still look good. Yes some of the cheaper knock offs make great fishing hats. Throw them in the washing machine or put them on the top rack in a dishwasher. They will still look good.

I have a Tilley hat. It says inside "insured against loss, guaranteed for life". Presumably, if you tell them you lost it, they will send you a new one. Have you tried this? I'd be interested to know if they honour the guarantee. Mine is beginning to deteriorate after nine years and I'm planning to ask for a new one once it goes a bit further.

Yes, they will ship directly to Chiang Mai. Because of the heat and humidity, I found myself throwing the hat into the washing machine every day. After two years, the nylon stiffener line inside the brim's edge broke... I sent Tilley an e-mail asking them how I could return the hat. They wrote back telling me NOT to return it, but that they would send a replacement immediately. I received it within a week. That hat has been going strong now for 12 years.

The guarantee against loss is only for 50% of the cost and only for the first year. But it's guaranteed against any normal damage for ever... even if you pass it on to your grandkids and THEY have a problem!

NeilRob, absolutely contact them and tell them the hat is beginning to deteriorate! They are very good about sticking to their word. Tilley clothing is known as 'Tilley Endurables' for a reason. Expensive as hell to buy, but lasts forever!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Received a replacement hat from Tilley today. Great service only two weeks after I sent them photos of my old hat. They asked for my credit card information to charge for shipping only, but do not even seem to have charged for that. Thanks again for your post, FolkGuitar.

Received a replacement hat from Tilley today. Great service only two weeks after I sent them photos of my old hat. They asked for my credit card information to charge for shipping only, but do not even seem to have charged for that. Thanks again for your post, FolkGuitar.

It took TWO WEEKS!!! Yikes! Tilley customer service is going downhill fast... Should have only taken a week. Next time, tell 'em you want Alex (Mr. Tilley) to hand deliver your replacement! I'll bet dollars to donuts he shows up at your door! They are simply the very best company I have ever dealt with! LL Bean's used to top the list, but they've gotten too big for their britches. Tilley takes care of its customers. Good care! If their stuff was so damn expensive, I'd buy one of everything!

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the Info. Not sure if they will deliver here or if I do order one I should have the ex mail it from Canada.

Problem being I saw so many different hats ion the web sites not sure if I want to get the same one. Will be probably visiting in August might hold of until then. Just have to get rid of this dork hat the wife got me.

Just a point of interest I pretty well figured two people would answer this one Your self and one other who PMed me.

Tilley is not that well known as it is high quality and costly. The hat I had goes for $74 Canadian now.

I never looked into their clothing but I can imagine it would be an expensive investment. But probably pay of in the long run as it is guaranteed for life.

I doubt very much that you will find a place selling Tilley Hats in CM, BKK "or anywhere else in Thailand for that matter"

Thai's are not willing to pay for quality (and those I have met wouldn't know a Tilley Hat from a Tilley Lantern) and wouldn't know either if they fell over one of them in front of 3 Kings.

Either get one on line or get someone going to Canada to buy one for you.

Mine is well traveled (all over the world) the only serious competitor is the Akubra but they unfortunately don't take to being packed in a suitcase (although I have done so and fill it up with sox and the like to keep it's shape)

Both run (or did) at around the same price.

If you both are still interested I sell Tilley hats in Bangkok. I'm having a shipment come in and if you would like to get a size that fits you specifically please feel free to contact me.

alisa

As you are in Bangkok would you care to name your store and the location also how many styles will you have in stock.

I am specifically asking for this information so I don't think the mods will consider it an ad on your part.

Just a reply to an honest question.

If you both are still interested I sell Tilley hats in Bangkok. I'm having a shipment come in and if you would like to get a size that fits you specifically please feel free to contact me.

alisa

As you are in Bangkok would you care to name your store and the location also how many styles will you have in stock.

I am specifically asking for this information so I don't think the mods will consider it an ad on your part.

Just a reply to an honest question.

Best send a PM (private message). Members are not allowed to promote/advertise their own business, except for forum sponsors.

• 4 months later...

I own a Tilley hat, and it is as advertised, durable, washable, packable, very high quality. However, I have another hat of a similar style that I like better and that is the Made in USA Henschel Hat. I have worn mine for four years almost every day in Chiang Mai heat and rain, and it shows no sign of giving up. The price is much more reasonable than Tilley. I think Tilley gets a bit carried away with their advertising copy, almost as bad as J. Peterman Co. No knock on the product itself, it is excellent, and worth the price. I would love to have their travel blazer, but just hate to pay that much, and take a chance on getting killed by customs duty. (See below)

A warning about importing a hat from abroad: I ordered a custom made fedora from a US company (Buckaroo) that cost about $350, and then another $60 or so for shipping via insured post. Thailand Customs whacked me for over $100 USD duty. I thought this was grossly outrageous, but what can one do, but pay. (You want hat, farang? You pay now!) Hope you don't get such a rude surprise when receiving a new hat from USA/CDN.

I do not work for, or have any financial interest in the above-named companies.(However, if any of them sees this, and wants to send me a free hat, I won't turn it down. Size 7-7/8 please!) A final note to OP: If you do order another Tilley hat, remember there is a label stitched into the underside of the crown where you can and should inscribe your name and local contact number.

Superb quality and durability is always worth the premium.

Chok dee.

Tilley do "mail" to Thailand.

An excellent company. I recently returned a pair of 6 year old trousers under the "lifetime guarantee" scheme.

By return post I received a new pair free of charge.

I had to pay the Thai customs charge.

I own a Tilley hat, and it is as advertised, durable, washable, packable, very high quality. However, I have another hat of a similar style that I like better and that is the Made in USA Henschel Hat. I have worn mine for four years almost every day in Chiang Mai heat and rain, and it shows no sign of giving up. The price is much more reasonable than Tilley. I think Tilley gets a bit carried away with their advertising copy, almost as bad as J. Peterman Co. No knock on the product itself, it is excellent, and worth the price. I would love to have their travel blazer, but just hate to pay that much, and take a chance on getting killed by customs duty. (See below)

A warning about importing a hat from abroad: I ordered a custom made fedora from a US company (Buckaroo) that cost about $350, and then another $60 or so for shipping via insured post. Thailand Customs whacked me for over $100 USD duty. I thought this was grossly outrageous, but what can one do, but pay. (You want hat, farang? You pay now!) Hope you don't get such a rude surprise when receiving a new hat from USA/CDN.

I do not work for, or have any financial interest in the above-named companies.(However, if any of them sees this, and wants to send me a free hat, I won't turn it down. Size 7-7/8 please!) A final note to OP: If you do order another Tilley hat, remember there is a label stitched into the underside of the crown where you can and should inscribe your name and local contact number.

Superb quality and durability is always worth the premium.

Chok dee.

Interesting product. I have not and will not purchase one yet had a few money set backs. How ever I had decided on waiting until I could walk in to a store and try one on.

I looked at the Henschel site some interesting hats but I was looking more for an all use type hat. When I get back to the States and Canada I will go into a store and put one on to be positive of the fit.

I tried to find a location for the Henschel outlets and could not find one or the price on any of them. It looked to me like they were a wholesaler.

I am a bit disappointed in that I would at least of had the opportunity to look at them and price them before deciding definatly on a Tilly. Might be they had some thing better.

..................A warning about importing a hat from abroad: I ordered a custom made fedora from a US company (Buckaroo) that cost about $350, and then another $60 or so for shipping via insured post. Thailand Customs whacked me for over $100 USD duty. I thought this was grossly outrageous, but what can one do, but pay. ...

One can have a US postal re-shipper.

I've never had to pay any Thai Customs duties on anything my re-shipper sends to me, regardless of the value. They send to me via EMS or flat rate boxes, and nothing has been stopped or inspected by Customs, nor do I ever have to pick the packages up at the post office. They always come right to my building. If you do a lot of mail order shopping, and don't want the hassle of hearing a company tell you 'Oh, sorry, we don't ship to Thailand,' it's well worth the yearly cost.