Where To Buy A Breeding Colony Of Guppies?

Guderian

I'd like to buy a viable breeding colony of the small but colourful plaa hang nok yung, which are just guppies I believe. I've checked out the local fish shops and they have plenty of them but they all seem to be the same sex, the brightly coloured ones which I think are the males. I read that a viable colony needs the correct ratio of males to females, which is something like 3 females to every male. Does anyone know a shop that sells breeding colonies?

11329.jpg

If you buy a group of only males, some of them will eventually transgender into females and become able to breed. Nothing to do with Thailand, I guess it is just survival of the species! :D

But it shouldn't be so difficult to find a mix. Quite a few places in Thepprasit road have them and they are probably the easiest group of fish-pets to keep and reproduce in captivity.

If you buy a group of only males, some of them will eventually transgender into females and become able to breed. Nothing to do with Thailand, I guess it is just survival of the species! biggrin.png

But it shouldn't be so difficult to find a mix. Quite a few places in Thepprasit road have them and they are probably the easiest group of fish-pets to keep and reproduce in captivity.

A friend of mine has tried twice just buying 20 or 30 males, but both times they all died. They obviously don't have the necessary Thai gene.

The only place I can think of on Thepprasit is Fish & Fur, which is more of a furniture store nowadays. Where are the other you mention located?

market on sukumvit opposite pattaya bangkok market saturday and sunday have loads from 5 to 10 baht each and always throw in extras for you males and females

Thanks, but I live in Jomtien/South Pattaya, and I'm too lazy to go all that way. There must be somewhere closer that sells them.

If you buy a group of only males, some of them will eventually transgender into females and become able to breed. Nothing to do with Thailand, I guess it is just survival of the species! biggrin.png

clap2.gifcheesy.gif

market on sukumvit opposite pattaya bangkok market saturday and sunday have loads from 5 to 10 baht each and always throw in extras for you males and females

Thanks, but I live in Jomtien/South Pattaya, and I'm too lazy to go all that way. There must be somewhere closer that sells them.

The big market at the Huay Yai temple on a Friday, but i guess you are too late today. 5 baht each.

The big market at the Huay Yai temple on a Friday, but i guess you are too late today. 5 baht each.

Sounds cheap. They were 7 Baht each in the fish shop I usually use on Third Road.

I was under the impression a community of guppies would be called a shoal. Does anyone know if that is correct?

Or a school maybe?

I was under the impression a community of guppies would be called a shoal. Does anyone know if that is correct?

Or a school maybe?

From what I have read they do not school so would not be a school of fish, but they tend to shoal, which means they kind of hang out together but go their own way. Hence a shoal of guppies, maybe?

Just about any outdoor market has them. They are just fish, dont worry about their sex, if it dont work out, but some more! I have lots of orange colored fish, dont know what they are and dont care, but they look nice, some guppies are mixed in also, If someone needs some fish, come and get em. Mabprachan

A friend of mine has tried twice just buying 20 or 30 males, but both times they all died. They obviously don't have the necessary Thai gene.

The only place I can think of on Thepprasit is Fish & Fur, which is more of a furniture store nowadays. Where are the other you mention located?

There are 2 (maybe 3?) shops near Soi 5. On the left hand side as you go from Sukhumvit towards Thappraya. The last one has a very good selection and if you get to talk to the owner, also good advice. There is also another shop on the other side, closer to Sukhumvit, past the petrol stations I think.

I don't know where your friend put the 20/30 males, but unless it was a huge aquarium/pond, that does not work, although they should not have died.

A situation like that is a stress/survival. The fact that they can transgender doesn't mean they want to. They won't do it in a crowded environment. It would be bringing new competitors to a difficult enough place. Not sure humans don't have a lesson to learn there. Even when they do, the ones that transgender are the weakest specimens (and that is definitely not comparable with humans).

If you have the space and get an isolated group of males, with about 25/30 liters of water per individual and a steady supply of food, they will mutate. The bad news is that the newborns won't be any better looking (I thought they would).

There are 2 (maybe 3?) shops near Soi 5. On the left hand side as you go from Sukhumvit towards Thappraya. The last one has a very good selection and if you get to talk to the owner, also good advice. There is also another shop on the other side, closer to Sukhumvit, past the petrol stations I think.

I don't know where your friend put the 20/30 males, but unless it was a huge aquarium/pond, that does not work, although they should not have died.

A situation like that is a stress/survival. The fact that they can transgender doesn't mean they want to. They won't do it in a crowded environment. It would be bringing new competitors to a difficult enough place. Not sure humans don't have a lesson to learn there. Even when they do, the ones that transgender are the weakest specimens (and that is definitely not comparable with humans).

If you have the space and get an isolated group of males, with about 25/30 liters of water per individual and a steady supply of food, they will mutate. The bad news is that the newborns won't be any better looking (I thought they would).

Thanks, I'll pop over to Soi 5 tomorrow and have a look. I want to buy these as a present for my friend who has recently been very helpful. He's obviously got no affinity with turning male fish into ladyfish.

i dont understand how you could fail, i chucked a bunch into the small pond in front of my house and now there are hundreds of the bastards

Edited by candypants

If you ask in the shop they will show you how to tell males from females. It is not just a colour thing? The males have a "dangly' extra fin on their backs.

The shops normally keep the sexes seperated in different tanks.

It is a case of getting the right mix of males to females but I also found that the majority of offspring are females - I thought I would get a 50 / 50 mix and have lots of colourful fish...

I got a few males and dozens of dull brown females. They are bigger than the males and boring brown colour once they start breeding...

They also like low oxygen water with lots of algae...you will see thriving populations of them in large bowls outside many shop houses and the bowls look they are full of mud and weeds but also lots of fish.

The Chinese say that the more fish you own the wealthier you will be - but it does not mean just money - wealth could mean just a good fortune...health etc...

Edited by lonewolf99

I hate to prolong this thread about guppies, but here goes. You can take any amount of guppies and throw them into any amount of water, and they will survive and thrive. The biggest problem is with people thinking they need to change the water, to keep it Crystal clear, and if you have a pond, it isnt needed. Just about any fish will die if the water is always changed, they are in a constant stage of shock.

When I moved here, there was already a fish pond, and with little care, but the fish survived. My neighbor, also had the same fish, but they always died, so he blamed the water, and said my fish would die too, (I think he was hoping they would die). The water was only half the blame, but it was mostly his fault for changing the water too often. You dont need to change all the water, just a quater, at the most. If the PH changes too drastically, then the fish will not survive. When the water is filled with nutrients, it looks green, and too many isnt good either.

Guppies are just about at the beginning of the food chain, so dont make a fuss about a few dying. No reason to make a big shopping trip for guppies, they are everywhere, and probably your neighbor can give you a few. Kind of like shopping for a Soi dog, there are enough to go around!