Windows 7 No Longer Being Sold?

rixalex

Just been in to a large local computer store with thoughts of buying a laptop, and when i asked what the cost would be of Windows 7 (genuine copy) i was told it was no longer possible to buy and Windows 8 was the only option. As Windows 8 seems geared towards touchscreen, I had assumed they would sell the two products side by side for people without touchscreen. Salesperson assured me i would not be able to buy Windows 7 anywhere, at least in Bangkok anyway. Is this correct information?

Sounds like a pile of crap to me.

Contact a proper MS distributor.

This was at one of the chain computer stores... bananaIT. Short of going down to Pantip, not sure where to find somewhere more reputable than that. But at this stage, if someone can simply assure me that it won't be a problem finding and buying Windows 7, that would be great.

I know you're looking for Windows 7 but I just installed Win Pro upgrade on my old gaming desktop that was running XP and I was surprised how easy it was to get used to switching between the tile interface and the desktop. Once you start to populate your taskbar with the programs you use regularly and then switching back to tile mode and typing the first few letters of any other program you want to use it's actually not too bad.

I also found a good post on how to create a start menu using the tool bar feature.

http://www.techrepub...-windows-8/5945

I had been thinking of putting Windows 7 on this PC but as the discounted Win 8 Pro was only 25GBP I thought it was worth giving it a go.

--damole

• Like 2

This is strange my friend bought a laptop a few days ago at Airport Plaza in Chiang Mai along with the real windows 7 cds. Unless things have changed in the last few days.

Perhaps it is a case of being able to buy it providing the store you're at has copies remaining in stock. If it doesn't, you are out of luck.

But as said there is no reason not to buy Windows 8 if you need to buy an operating system anyhow as you can run it to be just about the same as Windows 7 (and even look almost the same) and for any current machine it should work fine. You do not need to use touchscreen functions.

But as said there is no reason not to buy Windows 8 if you need to buy an operating system anyhow as you can run it to be just about the same as Windows 7 (and even look almost the same) and for any current machine it should work fine. You do not need to use touchscreen functions.

Admittedly i have never used W8 so i really have no idea how good or bad it is, or how easy it is to configure in such a way that it works like W7, just going from 90% of the stuff i have read on the net about it. Seems pretty unpopular, particularly for those not using touchscreen devices.

Yep Windows 8 is poo on a non-Touchscreen but things like Classic Start Menu put it back the way you like.

As for "This was at one of the chain computer stores... bananaIT. Short of going down to Pantip, not sure where to find somewhere more reputable than that."

Try contacting one of these:

Who are the Microsoft Thailand Authorized Distributors?

They are:

• IT Distribution
    Bangkapi, Huay-Kwang, Bangkok 10320
    Tel: +66(02) 203-0009
  • Ingram Micro (Thailand)
    1000/17-18,21-24 ,Liberty Plaza 11-12AB,14AB
    Soi Sukhumvit 55, Sukhumvit Road, Klongton Nua
    Watana, Bangkok 10110 Thailand
    Tel: +66(02) 793-1888
  • Synnex (Thailand) Co.,Ltd.
    188 M. 1 Sukontasawat rd.
    Khwang Lardprao Lardprao, Bangkok 10230
    Tel: +66(02) 553-8888

I can't read Thai but they seem to know about Windows 7 on the MS Thailand Website

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 1

I tried this when I downloaded the consumer preview last year, $5 is probably a fair price.

http://www.stardock....roducts/start8/

Slight typo, I was referring to Classic Shell. It's free, so save yourself five bucks.

Is W8 used in Classic Shell mode still poo? If someone is not using touchscreen device, like me, is it worth going out of your way to try and get W7?

The desktop tile brings up an almost exact copy of Windows 7 desktop minus the start icon - but just go bottom left where it normally is and the new version will appear (and you have alternative keys that also bring it up) so you really don't even have to add anything if you do not insist on it being exactly the same.

I tried this when I downloaded the consumer preview last year, $5 is probably a fair price.

http://www.stardock....roducts/start8/

Slight typo, I was referring to Classic Shell. It's free, so save yourself five bucks.

Is W8 used in Classic Shell mode still poo? If someone is not using touchscreen device, like me, is it worth going out of your way to try and get W7?

Actually it is faster, so no, go ahead and get W8 instead and just use classic shell to restore your Windows 7 start button, menus, etc.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you that it's easy to use without a touchscreen, it's a dog. They should have called it WINDOW 8 not Windows 8.

Just looked at Invadeit.com and also all Windows 8.

Yes i noticed that too. Looks like Windows 8 is going to become "compulsory" then. Why not give the customer the choice?

Maybe because if they did most people would probably stick with the operating system they already use. If they refuse to sell a previous version it ensures that over time the new version will become the prevalent system and so when they then announce that the new version of "xxxx" software will not work with older versions of the operating system they do not receive as much of a backlash, and the die-hards are forced to upgrade. In a nutshell, it generates more revenue....

• Like 1

Yes i noticed that too. Looks like Windows 8 is going to become "compulsory" then. Why not give the customer the choice?

When Toyota introduces the latest Camry, they also stop selling the previous model.

• Like 1

When Toyota introduces the latest Camry, they also stop selling the previous model.

Not straight away they don't. There is stock to shift. But you don't have that problem with software.

Below sites say Win7 can still be bought for another year but if they do that in Thailand is another story.

I am perfectly happy with my 64bit Win7 on my desktop pc and have no plans of upgrading.

http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/31/qa-sticking-with-windows-7/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2012/12/01/can-you-buy-windows-7-pc/1736529/

Toyota doesn't force all its customers, including families of 5 or 6, to drive around in two-seater sports cars. Toyota has a range of products for those with different needs. There might of been a time when "one size fits all" might have worked with regards Windows, but now with the line blurring between ipads, laptops and desktops, with products like netbooks and ultrabooks, why not at the very least offer two versions of the same product, for those using touchscreen devices and those not? Windows 8 and Windows 8T for example. Not as if Microsoft doesn't make enough money to make a bit more effort tailoring software to customers needs, is it?

>Salesperson assured me i would not be able to buy Windows 7 anywhere, at least in Bangkok anyway. Is this correct information?

Rule#1 never believe anything a sales person tells you in a Thai IT shop. Same applies to HomePro!

Agreed although it does seem from the responses here that there was a large element of truth to what i was told. Perhaps there may still be some stores (perhaps smaller ones with less custom) selling old stock of Windows 7, but going into the future, by the sounds of it, Windows 8 is all you'll be able to buy.

They seem to have done a good job of getting the legitimate Windows 7 copies out of the retail outlets; probably had some buy-back program for it. You can always get Windows 7 from ebay or some other places on the web, if local sources are drying up.

But as said there is no reason not to buy Windows 8 if you need to buy an operating system anyhow as you can run it to be just about the same as Windows 7 . . .

I cannot agree with this assessment. I tried the Windows 8 preview last year, and it was SO un-intuitive! It was really frustrating to work with, and I've been building my own systems for years and working with computers since the TI 59 and Commodore 64 and DOS days.

I've read numerous user comments about it, and I DID buy the Windows 8 Pro upgrade before Jan 31st (because ultimately I'll likely get pushed into it.) Even on the Microsoft website to buy the upgrade, the comments (presumably from customers who bought it) were predominantly negative. Most talked about was that it was not capable of multi-tasking with more than 2 windows opened, and that it had been "dumbed-down", making it hard to see where files were. It apparently does not have a Windows Explorer-type function.

I can't imagine businesses adopting this O/S in the coming years and forcing their employees to switch to it, without A LOT of expensive training and a lot of howling about wanting their old O/S back.

Ultimately, I think third parties and then Microsoft are going to be offering ways of getting the user interface back to something more like Windows 7, Vista, and XP. Just like they did when they back-pedaled on Vista with the User Account Control fiasco.

I just got a look at the Windows 8 "Shell" someone posted here. It looks like it goes a long way toward "de-eighting" Windows 8, and "Sevenizing" it.

Maybe the 20-somethings feel different, but for me the one-size-fits-all strategy for the phone/tablet/PC that Microsoft has forced upon us means that the PC has been compromised.

I also have to say I really don't have any desire to be using a touch screen with a PC. The mouse is fine, I can lean back in my chair when I use it, and the mouse is much closer to the keyboard than the screen is anyway.

If I was setting up a new system today, I'd do a dual-boot with Windows 7 and 8. And if I had to only make do with one operating system, it would be Windows 7.

Thanks for your thoughts. Very interesting.

As a non-techie, i was already struggling enough as it was, in buying a new computer, with all the choices one has to make like 5,600 or 7,200rpm, i3, i5 or i7, 2nd generation or 3rd, HDD, SSD or HDD + SSD, 1.7 or 2.5GHz, 500, 750 or 1000GB... and now all this Windows 8 <deleted>! For gawd's sake! What a bloomin' nightmare buying a computer is! crazy.gif

• Like 1

I recently upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7, although I didn't really want to because I was perfectly happy with Windows XP, however Microsoft was adamant that there would be no more support for this program and that Windows 7 was the way to go. I also believe that published somewhere was the fact that Windows 7 would be fully supported for the next few years (five perhaps?) so I had no worries about switching.

I have heard nothing really good about Windows 8, although I am no expert I can tell you, however having now gotten used to Windows 7, I really want to keep it for a few more years at least.

When I last looked one could purchase Windows 7 online from many companies, so good luck with your search and with your decision.

• Like 1