Thais Urged Not To Panic Over Upcoming Solar Storms

webfact

Thais urged not to panic over upcoming solar storms

BANGKOK, 8 February 2013 (NNT) - The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) held a seminar on the impact of solar storms that the US space agency predicted would hit the earth by May of this year.

DDPM chief Chatchai Promlert said the seminar is organized to provide accurate information on threats from the solar flares and to minimize panic among members of the public. Disaster management experts, DDPM officials and volunteers have been invited to join the discussion panel on the unusual solar activity.

newsjs

Mr Chatchai elaborated that information gathered from the seminar is set to be incorporated into the department’s contingency plans. The department assured that back-up power generators and alternative power sources have been prepared for the fallout of solar storms.

By May of this year, the sun will reach the peak of its 11-year activity cycle, which puts the planet at greater risk of solar storms. The radiation from the storms that may shower the Earth could wreak havoc on satellite communications, radio waves and the electricity grid.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2013-02-08 footer_n.gif

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perchance considering our brains function on electrical impulses generated by our own body perhaps the venerable DDPM chief Chatchai Promlert is concerned that Thais might start to think and question what is happening around them.

To be honest though 98% 0f the Thai population haven't actually got a clue what a solar flare is

Probably think it's some sort of Temple fair

I think it is working mostly chemical, that makes us pretty save against any EMP and similar....

I recall at university there was a device that generated massive magnetic fields and you should not bring any electronic or metal in that room, but no one was even concerned about health.

So not much hope that it resets the breaker and people start to think........

I wonder if AOT has fixed the back up generators for the flight controllers at swampy. Probably not. Out of site out of mind. Hey it ain't raining so the roof ain't leaking. No need to repair it.

Edited by Pimay1
  • Like 1

Solar flares, oh boy!

What about asteroid 2012 DA 14? No need to warn about? Around 02.24 on February 16th it's fly by only 27,700 kilometers above Thailand. Surely it's mystic power and forces will influence all below :-)

http://www.spacedail..._Earth_999.html

Big difference. If that chunk of space debris hits us, we're all doomed. Either we die at impact or from the tsunami or will slowly starve to death as the earth's access to sunlight is cut off due to the resultant dust cloud. People would be too smacked about to panic. On the other hand, the solar storm disruption has the potential to cause panic as people would not be aware of the cause of the power and communication system disruptions. The advance warning of the solar activity gives time for businesses and government departments to implement contingency plans and to prepare.

In my case, I am adopting an end of the world protocol and will seek out suitable people for an end of times sexy event. I anyone wants to "get it on", PM me. wub.png

People don't realize how fragile our infrastructures really are. Population centers simply will not function. After a week, or two , it will get very ugly. In a year, back to the neanderthal.

Maybe it would be a good thing, stop the insane consumption.

We need something to wake us up.

There is also something called a coronal mass ejection that is actual plasma, once spewed, it could theoretically hit the earth. Want to be on the day side for that. Nice and quick, night side will suffer quite a bit.

Edited by MacChine

Solar flares, oh boy!

What about asteroid 2012 DA 14? No need to warn about? Around 02.24 on February 16th it's fly by only 27,700 kilometers above Thailand. Surely it's mystic power and forces will influence all below :-)

Big difference. If that chunk of space debris hits us, we're all doomed. Either we die at impact or from the tsunami or will slowly starve to death as the earth's access to sunlight is cut off due to the resultant dust cloud. People would be too smacked about to panic. On the other hand, the solar storm disruption has the potential to cause panic as people would not be aware of the cause of the power and communication system disruptions. The advance warning of the solar activity gives time for businesses and government departments to implement contingency plans and to prepare.

In my case, I am adopting an end of the world protocol and will seek out suitable people for an end of times sexy event. I anyone wants to "get it on", PM me. wub.png

I should have added a smiley, my fault wai.gif

Mind you, I wasn't talking about this piece of rock slamming into your backgarden, or even creating a 'tunguska' event. I just wonder about the effects of (barely) watching this rock whirling past (barely since it'll move bloody fast). Long ago people would see it as a clear sign of the end-of-the-world, possible barbaric invasions (no, not tourists rolleyes.gif ). etc., etc. The 'long ago' sometimes seems 'not so' long ago, after having masterly avoided a Mayan doomsday event wink.png

PS wasn't it an enterprising (Dutch) man who was arrested in Pattaya for organising a party like you seem to have in mind tongue.png

Edited by rubl

Solar flares, oh boy!

It would not cause 'nuclear winter'. That's a small rock which be equivalent to smallish hydrogen bomb.

Nevertheless, if it were to hit the Earth, the impact would be roughly equivalent to a 2.4 megaton bomb -- enough to flatten a large area but not globally catastrophic, he explained.

Still locally that would cause some damages.

However.. good luck with your event :D

There is also something called a coronal mass ejection that is actual plasma, once spewed, it could theoretically hit the earth. Want to be on the day side for that. Nice and quick, night side will suffer quite a bit.

Well we're all experts at that, be it day or night. Mine generally doesn't hit the earth, but inside a black hole.

If this mass hit's the earth, at least WE'LL all go in satisfaction. ;)

-mel.

p.s. If on the day side, you need to buy one of my anti-solar flare caps, to be available near you, soon! wai.gif