Many Bangkokians To Avoid Polls As They Are Sick Of Politics

webfact

Many Bangkokians to avoid polls as they are sick of politics: Poll

By Digital Media

BANGKOK, Feb 9 - "Fed up with politics" is a major reason claimed by Bangkokians who said they would not cast their ballots in the upcoming gubernatorial election, a university poll revealed on Saturday.

The Suan Dusit Rajabhat University Poll, or Suan Dusit Poll, on "Why Bangkokians won't go to cast their ballots on gubernatorial election" surveyed 414 residents who said they will not vote or are still hesitant whether to vote on March 3 to select the new Bangkok governor.

newsjs

Some 35.29 per cent said they will not vote because they are sick of politics, while 29.41 per cent claimed they will be busy on the voting day.

Another 17.65 per cent said they do not know who to vote for, while 11.77 percent believed that no matter who wins the election, he or she will not be able to solve the city's problems.

One-third, or 34.78 per cent, suggested that concerned agencies should do more publicity or campaign to encourage Bangkokians to cast their ballots.

Roughly one quarter, or 26.08 pe rcent, said the campaign should focus on the benefits citizens will get from exercising their voting rights. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-02-09

Some 35.29 per cent said they will not vote because they are sick of politics, while 29.41 per cent claimed they will be busy on the voting day. Another 17.65 per cent said they do not know who to vote for, while 11.77 percent believed that no matter who wins the election, he or she will not be able to solve the city's problems.

Wasn't voting mandatory in Thailand or does that only apply to General Elections ?wai.gif

Am sick of the big placards around my area trying to get votes for the Pheu Thai candidate, the worst thing is that I don't live in Bangkok but in Nonthaburi. Surely it is illegal to place placards in areas not part of the voting area, or could they post them in Ayuthaya claiming that a lot of people from Bangkok travel there.

• Like 1

Am sick of the big placards around my area trying to get votes for the Pheu Thai candidate, the worst thing is that I don't live in Bangkok but in Nonthaburi. Surely it is illegal to place placards in areas not part of the voting area, or could they post them in Ayuthaya claiming that a lot of people from Bangkok travel there.

Take a chill pill.

Take a chill pill.

Surely someone who wants to be the Governor of Bangkok should know the boundaries of where Bangkok starts and ends.

• Like 1

On the other side of the road I've got posters from list 9 (Pongsapat), 10 (?) and 16 (Sukhumbhand). I've got a voting station along the road right outside from my appartment. I've got a 24-hour-ban on alcohol sales around voting day.

So, what's your problem rolleyes.gif

On the other side of the road I've got posters from list 9 (Pongsapat), 10 (?) and 16 (Sukhumbhand). I've got a voting station along the road right outside from my appartment. I've got a 24-hour-ban on alcohol sales around voting day.

So you are on Pantip side of the road then? From Phong phet towards Kaset is Bangkok, the other side of Phong Phet is not Bangkok.

In Australia the mongrels fine you if you dont vote and again choice of 2

major parties and both of them are really bad, especially all the crap

they tell the people and then dont deliver wish i did not have to vote

and if you do a dummy vote it goes to the party thats in power at the time

i do not blame the thais in BKK for not voting

• Like 2

Especially in two party systems the voters are presented with alternatives similar to Stalin and Hitler. Both promise to help the little guy, both are totalitarians where the establishment robs the country blind, and both are lying a*rseholes.

Why bother to vote in a corrupt system where there really is no difference between parties except who gets to rob you? And this then of course brings us to US politics where the same choice of evils is offered, other countries of course have their vesrions of no actual choice. Totalitarianism is no choice at all, democracy has now morphed into choosing A or B, both of which are on the nose and serving their financial masters and all drifting closer to totalitarianism with a smile.

If I was a Thai I wouldn't bother endorsing a choice of the crooks either.

You are not alone I feeling like this, I would love to see a 'none of the above' option, where if that choice comes first then the election in that constituency/state/etc has to be run again with new candidates. It would put the power back in the hands of the electorate.

Edited by longway
  • Like 2

So you are on Pantip side of the road then? From Phong phet towards Kaset is Bangkok, the other side of Phong Phet is not Bangkok.

My excuses, I forgot to add location.wai.gif I'm in Khet Dusit which has the river to the West, BangSue to the North, East PhayaThai and Ratchathewi and South PhraNakorn.

BTW both sides of Phetchaburi at Pantip Plaza are in Khet Ratchathewi.

PS just walking past I saw a new poster, list 11 (Surinsuth, or something like that)

Edited by rubl

My excuses, I forgot to add location.wai.gif I'm in Khet Dusit which has the river to the West, BangSue to the North, East PhayaThai and Ratchathewi and South PhraNakorn.

BTW both sides of Phetchaburi at Pantip Plaza are in Khet Ratchathewi.

PS just walking past I saw a new poster, list 11 (Surinsuth, or something like that)

Sorry but there are two pantips, one in Bangkok and one on Ngamwongwan Road, the latter being in Nonthaburi,which is not part of Bangkok. Enjoy the dry time around voting or pop into Nonthaburi just a 5 minute bus ride.

Edited by beano2274

Especially in two party systems the voters are presented with alternatives similar to Stalin and Hitler. Both promise to help the little guy, both are totalitarians where the establishment robs the country blind, and both are lying a*rseholes.

Why bother to vote in a corrupt system where there really is no difference between parties except who gets to rob you? And this then of course brings us to US politics where the same choice of evils is offered, other countries of course have their vesrions of no actual choice. Totalitarianism is no choice at all, democracy has now morphed into choosing A or B, both of which are on the nose and serving their financial masters and all drifting closer to totalitarianism with a smile.

You are not alone I feeling like this, I would love to see a 'none of the above' option, where if that choice comes first then the election in that constituency/state/etc has to be run again with new candidates. It would put the power back in the hands of the electorate.

I'd ban them from standing in an election for 5 years, so they can't simply apply for another seat somewhere

500 Baht to each voter will solve the problem....full turnout !

They said they wouldn't vote.

They didn't say they wouldn't take the money.

Where I live the punters have to prove they voted before they get the 500 baht (or whatever the bribe incentive is these days).

I think you will find there are a lot more than two candidates standing for office.

First there is a story on Sukhumbhand saying the word "Koo" (The Nation) who cares?

Yingluck has said worse. what was it again "ow you"?

Now this story about Bangkokians not wanting to vote (MCOT)

I think all countries media run these sort of stories before elections because it's all they know what to write.

Me thinks a trend is happening, who is paying these people to do polls and silly stories?

Pheu Thai is desperate to take Bangkok and it would be sad if they did.

All Bangkok people need to vote! or silly Red Mafia will want to own Bangkok as well.

Edited by LindsayBKK

First there is a story on Sukhumbhand saying the word "Koo" (The Nation) who cares?

Yingluck has said worse. what was it again "ow you"?

Now this story about Bangkokians not wanting to vote (MCOT)

I think all countries media run these sort of stories before elections because it's all they know what to write.

Me thinks a trend is happening, who is paying these people to do polls and silly stories?

Pheu Thai is desperate to take Bangkok and it would be sad if they did.

All Bangkok people need to vote! or silly Red Mafia will want to own Bangkok as well.

As I have previously stated, at the last election, the dusit poll had all areas of the country nearly spot on with their predictions as to who would get elected. Except Bangkok where they were so far out on their predictions it was unheard of, which lends a lot of credit as too where the 7,000,000 extra ballot slips went. PT winning Bangkok mid term, which is usually when people protest vote against the government of their choice, will further reinforce my belief that the Dems only carried a majority in Bangkok, at the last election because they manipulated the polls. Comments

I wonder how the Dems will write up this humiliation in their Blue Print for Thailand.

Edited by backtonormal

Does that mean that on one side of the road bars can stay open and serve alcohol on election day, but not at the other side ?