Land Of Smiles.....maybe Not!

POAK

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like Australia isnt always 'the lucky country' and there is no real 'american dream' and the war in Iraq wasnt really all about democracy...come on people...I love Thailand warts and all, and there are a lot of warts.

You do realise that the 'lucky country' tag was intended as a wake-up call, not an endorsement ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_lucky_country

Funny thing is, our tourist bosses don't promote drive-by shootings in Sydney as an 'attraction'. I realised I'd reached my use-by date in Sydney in 1985 - the year my flat was burgled 3 times - and left town. Perhaps some TVers have reached their use-by date in Thailand ?

• Like 1

I woke up this morning, went to the gym. Went to the cafe with my wife and daughter. Headed down with them both to the Ampur to shift her yellow book place of residence - cost nothing. Went shopping with my daughter while my wife went off to Chatuchuk for a bit of retail therapy.

Then met up this arvo with my burmese maid to hand over paperwork to extend her work permit (which the local labour office guided me through on Friday morning - again for nothing).

Came home. Played with my daughter with her new remote control helicopter which the shop at MBK had repaired for nothing when we bought it and had found it faulty.

Happy day all around.

I often wonder if I live in a different Thailand to the rest of you blokes.

Nah - you're just one of those 'glass half-full guys' - but I do know how easy it is to get tagged a 'Thai apologist'. If people elsewhere were 'perfect', particularly the poor and uneducated, I could see what the fuss was about, but they arent. We have a massive problem here in Oz with white trash dragging the rest of us down with their racism and petty BS crime - mainly assault - but I dont judge my countrymen by our bottom 10%. (ok - 20-30%, but that's it - honest !) Ask any Balinese what he/she thinks of Australians ....

I woke up this morning, went to the gym. Went to the cafe with my wife and daughter. Headed down with them both to the Ampur to shift her yellow book place of residence - cost nothing. Went shopping with my daughter while my wife went off to Chatuchuk for a bit of retail therapy.

Then met up this arvo with my burmese maid to hand over paperwork to extend her work permit (which the local labour office guided me through on Friday morning - again for nothing).

Came home. Played with my daughter with her new remote control helicopter which the shop at MBK had repaired for nothing when we bought it and had found it faulty.

Happy day all around.

Nah - you're just one of those 'glass half-full guys' - but I do know how easy it is to get tagged a 'Thai apologist'. If people elsewhere were 'perfect', particularly the poor and uneducated, I could see what the fuss was about, but they arent. We have a massive problem here in Oz with white trash dragging the rest of us down with their racism and petty BS crime - mainly assault - but I dont judge my countrymen by our bottom 10%. (ok - 20-30%, but that's it - honest !) Ask any Balinese what he/she thinks of Australians ....

Sadly MrWorldwide ... you know nothing of the member samran ... whistling.gif

• Like 1

Happy day all around.

Sadly MrWorldwide ... you know nothing of the member samran ... whistling.gif

Quite amazing how "Mr Worldwide" turns out to be anything but, and rambles on about something that most can't relate to.

It's true though, not the land of smiles....too many moaning farangs for that.

In my five and a half years experience of living here I have found most Thai's smile a lot. whereas Farang's scowl a lot. Most Thai people will talk to me, whereas most Farang's will not.

In the end it's about what you want from a host country and your general expectations. Live and let live.

Last week I went into a little store and bought cigarettes. After I went to a nearby coffee shop. A few minutes later the old man who worked the store found me to return 15 baht he had overcharged me by accident. In most cases, give me a Thai over a tourist any day.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so ---Hamlet

Happy day all around.

Fact that you speak the language makes a world of difference. I love it here but like every other place it has its bad sides. But i can give you enough bad sides of my former home country. But the Thai smile is a bit of a myth, Thais are normal people they don't always smile.

us foriegn people have to remember that we are not in our own countrys,I was on holiday with my lady and our two boys in Hua Hin reciently we had a nice meal in beach cafe, Boys being boys they accidently knocked over a glass and broke it. when the bill came there was a 30 baht charge for the broken glass. i wasnt happy but just paid as i wont be back in the cafe again.

Any particular reason you weren't happy, your boys did some damage and it was reflected in your bill. Perfectly fair I would have said. You should have had a big smile all over your face at getting away with 30 Baht and not a lot more.

I agree.. why not pay why let the bar owner pay. Or would you prefer he raises his prices and let everyone pay for the faults of a few. I rather have the people who can't control their children pay then everyone. If I break something i pay for it.

• Like 1

I went to Central Rama 9 today and bought some ice cream for my girls, had a coffee, got some change for the girls to play on rides. Then we went to the park, bought a kite, rented some bicycles and didn't get ripped off at any stage. That is pretty much what happens every time i go out. A bloke in our local chemist gave me my money back when I over paid last week. Reckon I must look like a gangster and none of the Thais wanna rip such a bad ass as me off lest i kick their ass.

That has pretty much been my experience for the 4 months I've been in Thailand. I'm fairly generous with my money and I don't worry about the occasional over charging. I have it to spend or give away, and my life here is so inexpensive that it doesn't really matter if I get charged extra occasionally. I get genuine smiles all the time, and even if they are not genuine I don't care. A fake smile is much nicer than a frown any day.

• Like 1

Happy day all around.

Thai wife to do all the talking for you presumably? and a maid to do all things you and wife don't want to do. Would be a prity good life anywhere. How would you fare here completely on your own. Burmese maid would that be because you can pay her peanuts compared to a Thai maid? Edited by marstons
  • Like 1

Land of smiles indeed... I have a bridge for sale...anyone interested?

Thailand most definately IS the land of smiles.

The mistake most Westerners make is thinking that the smile means they are happy or pleased. Thais can and do smile when they are happy, annoyed, bored with you or just about to rip your head off.

The almost classic cultural misunderstanding here is a westerner arguing with a Thai - who simply smiles, usually infuriating the westerner even more.

us foriegn people have to remember that we are not in our own countrys,I was on holiday with my lady and our two boys in Hua Hin reciently we had a nice meal in beach cafe, Boys being boys they accidently knocked over a glass and broke it. when the bill came there was a 30 baht charge for the broken glass. i wasnt happy but just paid as i wont be back in the cafe again.

So your son broke it ,and your not happy you should have to pay for it. Boys will be boys does that means they were probably being a pain in the ass for everybody else in the restaurant. Your kid broke it so you pay for it. Worse meals I have are where some western old boy with kids he cant bring up correctly and sit there letting them run riot. Kids +Glasses = parent moves away one from the other. Edited by marstons

Happy day all around.

Thai wife to do all the talking for you presumably? and a maid to do all things you and wife don't want to do. Would be a prity good life anywhere. How would you fare here completely on your own. Burmese maid would that be because you can pay her peanuts compared to a Thai maid?

God marstons.. samran is Thai and speaks the language fluid. You presume too much.

• Like 1

So your son broke it ,and your not happy you should have to pay for it. Boys will be boys does that means they were probably being a pain in the ass for everybody else in the restaurant. Your kid broke it so you pay for it. Worse meals I have are where some western old boy with kids he cant bring up correctly and sit there letting them run riot. Kids +Glasses = parent moves away one from the other.

If my son had broken the glass I would have called the waitress over, explained what happened, told my son to apologise, apologise myself then offered to pay for the glass. No problems all around.

If the food in the cafe was OK I would also go back with my family.

You do realise that if the glass gets broken and nobody pays it will come from the waitress' wages.

You probably paid more for your meal than the waitress gets paid for 2 days work.

• Like 1

Happy day all around.

Fact that you speak the language makes a world of difference. I love it here but like every other place it has its bad sides. But i can give you enough bad sides of my former home country. But the Thai smile is a bit of a myth, Thais are normal people they don't always smile.

To be fair it does make a difference, which makes most of the stuff people moan about come from communication difficulties.

Having said that, I'm like you, I'm a realist and don't buy the hype. I just don't have a craven view of others like many people on this thread have.

Happy day all around.

To be fair it does make a difference, which makes most of the stuff people moan about come from communication difficulties.

Having said that, I'm like you, I'm a realist and don't buy the hype. I just don't have a craven view of others like many people on this thread have.

I speak enough Thai now not to need the wife all the time (unless its important or technical). Also I hate speaking Thai over the phone. But it makes a world of difference for sure. I had loads of frustrations over not being able to communicate or get things done. Still I need to learn a lot more.

Well you smile at the policeman and thank him for keeping you right on the traffic laws as you give him the 100 baht, you smile at the receptionist and add a 100 baht apologising for any inconvenience and thanking her for the excellent service, you walk away, and everybody is all smiles...........or you can behave as a bellicose farang and wipe the smile off every face around you....

I totally agree, except the 100 Baht bit. :)

I went to Central Rama 9 today and bought some ice cream for my girls, had a coffee, got some change for the girls to play on rides. Then we went to the park, bought a kite, rented some bicycles and didn't get ripped off at any stage. That is pretty much what happens every time i go out. A bloke in our local chemist gave me my money back when I over paid last week. Reckon I must look like a gangster and none of the Thais wanna rip such a bad ass as me off lest i kick their ass.

That has pretty much been my experience for the 4 months I've been in Thailand. I'm fairly generous with my money and I don't worry about the occasional over charging. I have it to spend or give away, and my life here is so inexpensive that it doesn't really matter if I get charged extra occasionally. I get genuine smiles all the time, and even if they are not genuine I don't care. A fake smile is much nicer than a frown any day.

Thai female shop assistants love a joke and a chat.

Quite amazing how "Mr Worldwide" turns out to be anything but, and rambles on about something that most can't relate to.

It's true though, not the land of smiles....too many moaning farangs for that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitbull_(entertainer)

It's just a board name - 'amazingly', I don't look anything like my avatar either. Weird how that works.

Went to the local mall this morning stopped in at the book store to grab a copy of the bp, counter lady asks me for 40 baht i ask her for a discount laughingly she replies mai dai, but proceeds to give me back 10 baht. my wife slaps me and says it is sunday the paper costs 40 baht today with the extra sections....i says I know just kidding. Try to give the 10 baht back laughing (puht len) the counter lady smiles mai phen lai....wife, I and lady are all having a good laugh at my attempted humour but she won't accept the 10 baht.

Go to Swensens figure will try the same thing (i always ask for a discount - sort of my thing) lot dai mai krap.....lady laughs, mai dai, my wife is shrinking with embarrassment. I says, puht len, lady at Swensens laughs calls over her 'boss" and we get a two for one special (has an old coupon in her pocket) gives it us. So instead of spending 280 baht we only paid 165 baht.

We then go to the hair salon for my wife to get her long hair cut short (getting into hot season) she gets the usual shampoo, conditioner, hair styled and dry. While this is going on I am chatting to the lady at the front counter, how much to cut my hair etc....finally she says the wife is ready and it is 200 baht.....panhg mak mak I says....lot dai mai krap......mai dai kha.....puht len....the usual conversation. My wife's hair looks amazing, tell the hairstylist she did a great job, next time I need a cut I will come here and get mine done...thank you very much.....lady pops out her business card and writes on the back - one free cut - next visit Kuhn ******.

Could it happen back in my old country absolutely.....but (and not every day does this happen. but it does happen more often than not) I have learned from the past 4 years living here having a chat, a bit of a smile yourself, learning the local language and treating people nicely may find there are more (genuine) smiles than frowns.

But I live in fairytale land as many poster tell me.......nope. I live in Northeast Thailand, can converse in the local language and treat people kindly....oooopps I guess that is a "fairytale" land! My bad.

• Like 1