Free Cable Tv Coming In June From Thai Government?

patsfangr

My niece has been very excitedly rambling on to my wife that the Thai government is going to be providing free cable TV to 20 million homes in Thailand, beginning in June. She is unable to explain, in terms that I can understand, what change has enabled this. According to her, It has something to do with the fact that the country is now all digital. But I fail to understand how the Thai government would or could provide free cable to people.

Has anyone heard anything about this issue; and, if so, can you please clarify the whole thing for me?

• Like 1

I would doubt that there are 20 Million homes in Thailand. At a population of 62 Million people that would average only 3 people / family.

According to this, there are 22 million households in Thailand.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/telecom/330803/nbtc-to-subsidise-digital-switch

However, I still do not understand what, specifically, will change for those of us who now subscribe to a cable TV service, such as Banglamung or Sophon; if, indeed, anything will change.

Can anyone out there clarify this?

As those 22 million households don't all have digital TVs, it means the govt. will sell you a "cheap" set-top box to convert their new digital signal for your analog TV. Uncle Somchai is ordering them from China as we speak.

• Like 1

I don't know if this is related but i heard last week that digital TV was being introduced along with many extra free to air channels.

If I'm following this correctly, what will happen is that the number of channels that can be received over the air, via an "old school roof antenna", will be increasing from the present 6 or so, to 24. However, the quality of the signal, will, I assume still depend upon things like: distance from the transmitter of each channel; line of sight between the antenna and the transmitter; etc. For a "guaranteed" clear signal, consumers will still require a cable delivery system.

Can anyone confirm that I am correct in that assumption?

If/when digital over-the-air broadcasts start, set-top translation devices will be needed for TVs not capable of receiving a digital signal. Easy to see where digital broadcasts could be mis-interpreted as cable service, and perhaps the government will provide free set-top boxes so that no household is left out after the cutover. Would that explain the OP's rumor?

I don't know if this is related but i heard last week that digital TV was being introduced along with many extra free to air channels.

If I'm following this correctly, what will happen is that the number of channels that can be received over the air, via an "old school roof antenna", will be increasing from the present 6 or so, to 24. However, the quality of the signal, will, I assume still depend upon things like: distance from the transmitter of each channel; line of sight between the antenna and the transmitter; etc. For a "guaranteed" clear signal, consumers will still require a cable delivery system.

Can anyone confirm that I am correct in that assumption?

Correct and incorrect.

You can do with a small receiver , coupled to an antenna.

That can be a roomantenna, or an outside antenna for better reception.

And it all boils down if enough transmitters will be placed anywhere in the country.

Had something like that in the Netehrlands, called Digitenna.

26 channels plus 2 "nature" channels.

As I fall in the category Dirty Old Man, I liked that

Something like that in Thailand?