Outrage

HeavyDrinker

Probably because if the individual in question is known to be a festering ball of scum with a rap sheet as long as your arm before his or her arrival in the kingdom, people generally expect the authorities to bar their entry.

See your point though. I mean, who do people expect a country with Thailand's unfortunate reputation to attract? The cream of the crop?

The level of outrage provides the justification required by some for leaving the 'rotten' country these 'bad' guys came from...those that still reside there are aware the 'bad guys' who arrive in Thailand are actually an inconsequential minorty ....

Edited by 473geo

Only the behaviour of some on here leaves me feeling outraged.

I'll leave you the task of deciphering my cryptic comment. tongue.png

Edit: profanity, flaming, mention of banned publications, inflammatory messages, slurs, negativity, oh and a request for twenty Baht to get to Asoke on the MRT all removed. wai2.gif

Edited by smokie36
  • Like 2

Edit: profanity, flaming, mention of banned publications, inflammatory messages, slurs, negativity, oh and a request for twenty Baht to get to Asoke on the MRT all removed. wai2.gif

ole smokes ... very PC of you.

BTW ... thanks for nothing ... that took me 25 mins to walk to MRT Sukhumvit (Asoke) ... some mates you can do without ... dry.png

Surely you're yanking our chain Semper.....but I'll bite.....PC = Political Correctness. One of my pet hates.

Cheers.

Political Correct means that whenever someone tells the true a mob of political correct beat him verbally to dead.....or these days they you anyway go to jail for hate speech, discredit religion or similar strange laws.....All in the name of freedom and democracy Breschnew and Honecker would be proud....

People travel to Thailand because they say it's not 'PC' and it allows them to be 'free'. When someone turns up who they disapprove of they want them refused entry. How free is that?

And even worse, they come because it is free and not PC, but all the time complain that the police isn't checking the driving rules (maybe just the others not themself?) and complain when some Thais say something nationalist, racist, bigot, communist etc etc etc.

It is an extension of the usual "freedom of speech problem" that everyone want freedom for his own ideas but want to suppress the others .....

Thing is you can still complain about stuff like that. My pet peeve is the police and how Thais drive. Its just dangerous, there are a lot of good drivers but a larger percentage of bad ones (compared to the Netherlands for instance). That has nothing to do with racism just facts because they don't have good driving schools here and the police does not check (only easy checks to make money). I see no reason not to complain about something like that.

Back home i complained about stupid dangerous things here I do the same. When I am in the car with the wife she is always like did you see that.. and makes the same comments i make over the driving of part of the population. So its not a farang only thing.

I guess some people feel you loose the right to express yourself negatively once you arrive, i don't. But i will leave once i feel there is more negative then positive (i dont i love the place).

• Like 1

People travel to Thailand because they say it's not 'PC' and it allows them to be 'free'. When someone turns up who they disapprove of they want them refused entry. How free is that?

And even worse, they come because it is free and not PC, but all the time complain that the police isn't checking the driving rules (maybe just the others not themself?) and complain when some Thais say something nationalist, racist, bigot, communist etc etc etc.

It is an extension of the usual "freedom of speech problem" that everyone want freedom for his own ideas but want to suppress the others .....

Thing is you can still complain about stuff like that. My pet peeve is the police and how Thais drive. Its just dangerous, there are a lot of good drivers but a larger percentage of bad ones (compared to the Netherlands for instance). That has nothing to do with racism just facts because they don't have good driving schools here and the police does not check (only easy checks to make money). I see no reason not to complain about something like that.

Back home i complained about stupid dangerous things here I do the same. When I am in the car with the wife she is always like did you see that.. and makes the same comments i make over the driving of part of the population. So its not a farang only thing.

I guess some people feel you loose the right to express yourself negatively once you arrive, i don't. But i will leave once i feel there is more negative then positive (i dont i love the place).

Well if I would complain in my home country that immigrants drive worse than they would call me racist. (I don't know how they drive....just you can't tell it, if it is true or not).

Now there is big pressure that the newspaper should not tell the heritage of criminals, because it encourage racism if you tell from Romania, from Turkey, etc etc.

I don't even want to start about a specific religion and rights of women....several cases were lost "discredit religion".

I don't feel any outrage about idiots or jerks. That is THEIR problem, not mine. They have to deal with it for the remainder of their lives... or change. I can walk away at any time and smile at meeting such a strange person.

My point was that there is somewhat of a double standard betwixt the posters here who froth out about some yob from England or some Scammer from Sweden being let in as they sit in this den of carrion....

Only Smokie "got it"....probably because his Rugby team played well....

• Like 1

My point was that there is somewhat of a double standard betwixt the posters here who froth out about some yob from England or some Scammer from Sweden being let in as they sit in this den of carrion....

Only Smokie "got it"....probably because his Rugby team played well....

We might finish third this year! w00t.gif

To answer our HeavyDrinker`s question, I believe it`s because that being foreigners ourselves in this land of tolerance, we have some concerns when other foreigners arrive here, especially if they are Westerners like the majority of Thai visa members and they behave badly, than the actions of these people place greater scrutiny on all of us by the Thai authorities, increases the chances of the tightening up of the present Immigration policies and laws in which we all have to abide and live under and places a strain on the tolerance levels towards us by our hosts the Thai people. Or in other words, the actions of those who abuse the system and break the laws can have a knock on effect resulting in that we all pay the price and these are the main reasons, in my opinion, why ex-pats display such intolerance and outrage against those who arrive here and misbehave.

• Like 1

To answer our HeavyDrinker`s question, I believe it`s because that being foreigners ourselves in this land of tolerance, we have some concerns when other foreigners arrive here, especially if they are Westerners like the majority of Thai visa members and they behave badly, than the actions of these people place greater scrutiny on all of us by the Thai authorities, increases the chances of the tightening up of the present Immigration policies and laws in which we all have to abide and live under and places a strain on the tolerance levels towards us by our hosts the Thai people. Or in other words, the actions of those who abuse the system and break the laws can have a knock on effect resulting in that we all pay the price and these are the main reasons, in my opinion, why ex-pats display such intolerance and outrage against those who arrive here and misbehave.

Do you have similar concerns when iffy Thais come to your home country?

I don't get it. If you are an expat with a job, then why worry about those so far below you? I quite like meeting the rougher element.

It's a sure show that some here ain't as "expatty' as they like to think...

Smokes...Celtic 0-3.....

Edited by HeavyDrinker

I don't feel any outrage about idiots or jerks. That is THEIR problem, not mine. They have to deal with it for the remainder of their lives... or change. I can walk away at any time and smile at meeting such a strange person.

I don`t fully agree.

The actions of others can become our problem for reasons that I have mentioned in my post above.

No, because in my own country I am not a guest or foreigner with virtually no statutory rights and would be in the same situation as a Thai national here in Thailand, therefore having no concerns about visas and Immigration rules, so the behavior of foreigners in my own country would not affect my status there.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

Smokes...Celtic 0-3.....

Apparently the offer of a pie and a pint in Sauchiehall Street wasn't enough to tempt the ref.

I suspect he has been nobbled with the promise of a long vespa ride with Carla Bruni.

Back on topic I think most people just want to escape from their own when they have lived in Thailand for a while. Show me a set of tattoos and I generally want to walk away.

Its an unfair judgement but based on experience not so wide of the mark....that and begging bowls. Thailand has left me a less forgiving and generous spirit in some ways.

• Like 1

There is an outrage from whoever because i presume it makes all foriegners here look bad here.

The outraged don't wish to be tarred with the same brush.

Luckily most people don't generalise too much.

And it gives them a chance to Bash another Nationality,very often the only reason to comment.They can Troll without being challenged!

• Like 1

That's rather deep Smokes! Have you eaten the Blether? It's almost a work of beauty.

@ Beetlejuice, you live here, you pay taxes..know your rights...don't buy into the TV crap that "Farangs have no Rights"

I think many are under a great misapprehension here and I wouldn’t kid yourself that you have any status as a resident in Thailand whatsoever.

There is a difference between having protection under the law and having statutory rights.

For example, the Thai Government are under no obligations: to care for us when we are sick, to educate our children if they are not Thai nationals, to give us housing and shelter if we are homeless, to provide employment if we are jobless, to give us any of the Government benefits (even if they are few and far between) available to Thais and finally but not least, we are only permitted to remain here at the discretion of the authorities and that could all change with only a moments notice with just one scribble of a pen.

And these are the reasons that I believe we as guests here have to be squeaky clean and nondescript, so that we can be perceived by the Thais as having good reputations and to be able to live in peace and stress free without selfish, corrupt and mindless individuals creating difficulties for us.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

I don't get it. If you are an expat with a job, then why worry about those so far below you? I quite like meeting the rougher element.

Hello deary laugh.png

That's rather deep Smokes! Have you eaten the Blether? It's almost a work of beauty.

@ Beetlejuice, you live here, you pay taxes..know your rights...don't buy into the TV crap that "Farangs have no Rights"

I think many are under a great misapprehension here and I wouldn’t kid yourself that you have any status as a resident in Thailand whatsoever.

There is a difference between having protection under the law and having statutory rights.

For example, the Thai Government are under no obligations: to care for us when we are sick, to educate our children if they are not Thai nationals, to give us housing and shelter if we are homeless, to provide employment if we are jobless, to give us any of the Government benefits (even if they are few and far between) available to Thais and finally but not least, we are only permitted to remain here at the discretion of the authorities and that could all change with only a moments notice with just one scribble of a pen.

And these are the reasons that I believe we as guests here have to be squeaky clean and nondescript, so that we can be perceived by the Thais as having good reputations and to be able to live in peace and stress free without selfish, corrupt and mindless individuals creating difficulties for us.

Just convince 'em that you've got a few quid and you're laughing...

Beetlejuice makes valid points.

Go to any tourists area and we are treated less respectfully than will be outside of those tourist areas.

We are often tarred with the same brush. In most cases the Thai's are intelligent enough to spot the difference between riffraff and someone dressed and behaving respectfully, for the most part the people we deal with will make attempts to treat us as such.

However, once a series of impolite, clumsy imbeciles have been encountered too many times it will be difficult for anyone not to judge all in the same light and a certain level of contempt will stick.

I have no wish to be placed in the same bracket as some violent, abusive and impolite expat. Those who suggest they don't care what others think of them.

I do care what others think of me, in Thailand and in the UK - And those who care what others think of them leave fruitful ground for those who follow.

For long-termers while in Thailand or anywhere else we are constantly laying and relaying the foundation of our future.

It is natural that we object to letting people who have proven that they have no respect for society place this at risk.

It is human right that citizens should be free to move as they wish and visit where they like. However, some believe that when someone has proven they have anti-social tendencies to such extremes they have perhaps already given up those rights.