Plodprasop Seeks Budget For Huge Seawall Project

Lite Beer

Cam you imagine if local builders did it, the wall would crumble soon as the water gort anywhere near it. He says it would need overseas talent, is he trying to tell the big boss of a new way to get thai money without coming back, makes us all wonder.

Edited by metisdead
: Bold font removed.

At the moment there is nowhere to pump or pipe excess water around Bangkok and out into the bay of Thailand without it effectively returning on the tide, as with the boat propellors. So the ability to divert and pump any excess past a restraining device would surely be of great benefit

• Like 2

I have a better idea.

Why not put an air- cushion under Bangkok and inflate it, whenever the water comes from...well...anywhere?!

A good example of the intelligent and constructive thought that makes TV such a wonderful source of insight and illumination.

The leaders of Thailand, whatever their political hue, must be beating a path to the inspirational founts of knowledge that exist on the forum.

These depths of wit wisdom and sagacity are truly unplumbable.

"depths of wit wisdom and sagacity"

To be fair, one must admit that Plodprsop started it first, albeit with a Thaksin-era idea ! rolleyes.gif

We only take the piss out of it, they are the ones who keep on coming up, with these wonderful plans ! laugh.png

Perhaps Thailand is a Hub of wit wisdom and sagacity ?

I think we should have a poll to see if that is true.whistling.gif

I have a better idea.

Why not put an air- cushion under Bangkok and inflate it, whenever the water comes from...well...anywhere?!

A good example of the intelligent and constructive thought that makes TV such a wonderful source of insight and illumination.

The leaders of Thailand, whatever their political hue, must be beating a path to the inspirational founts of knowledge that exist on the forum.

phil I know your are a strong supporter of the PTP but with each passing day it must be harder for you to think up responses to support the cause with these idiots spouting out this kind of nonsence.

In all fairness to Phil He does occasionally let his common sense overcome his devotion to the Thaksinite regime.

• Like 1

A more radical proposal is to build a massive dike, around 100km long, right across the Gulf of Thailand from Hua Hin to Pattaya. In some parts of Bangkok, streets often flood over

The wall, which would be three times bigger than the world’s longest dike, the 33km-long Saemangeum Seawall in South Korea, would cost hundreds of millions of dollars, but experts are warning that the cost to the Thai economy of sea-water flooding agricultural and industrial land could be far higher.

The massive dike would be technically feasible, according to Cor Dijkgraaf, a Dutch architect and urban planner. “The sea is only around 20m deep in most places, so technically it is no problem at all – the issue is one of cost,” he said.

However, Tara Buakamsri, campaign manager for Greenpeace Southeast Asia, warned that the environmental and social consequences would be difficult to predict.

“There are fishing communities all along the coast, and this would have a huge economic and social impact on them,” he said.

Edited by dcutman

I have a better idea.

phil I know your are a strong supporter of the PTP but with each passing day it must be harder for you to think up responses to support the cause with these idiots spouting out this kind of nonsence.

In all fairness to Phil He does occasionally let his common sense overcome his devotion to the Thaksinite regime.

Agree, when it get to outrgeous he does come around to his senses smile.png. Keep on banging the keyboard phil.Without you it would be a dull TVF wai.gif

Is it "mega project" month? Or is the current Govt trying to get their cut of projects asap before it's too late . . . ?

As for the dike/dam or whatever the hell it is they are thinking of doing, they'd be better off either:

1. moving the capital, or
  2. raising all the roads and buildings up on stilts, or
  3. perhaps simply ensuring that water can drain AWAY from Bangkok in a timely manner, maybe some big pipes that don't get built on or clogged up with garbage???

A more radical proposal is to build a massive dike, around 100km long, right across the Gulf of Thailand from Hua Hin to Pattaya. In some parts of Bangkok, streets often flood over

The wall, which would be three times bigger than the world’s longest dike, the 33km-long Saemangeum Seawall in South Korea, would cost hundreds of millions of dollars, but experts are warning that the cost to the Thai economy of sea-water flooding agricultural and industrial land could be far higher.

The massive dike would be technically feasible, according to Cor Dijkgraaf, a Dutch architect and urban planner. “The sea is only around 20m deep in most places, so technically it is no problem at all – the issue is one of cost,” he said.

However, Tara Buakamsri, campaign manager for Greenpeace Southeast Asia, warned that the environmental and social consequences would be difficult to predict.

“There are fishing communities all along the coast, and this would have a huge economic and social impact on them,” he said.

In 50 years time, they could be selling chanotes for what was the sea after it has silted up.

I see a cunning real estate business here.

The wall, which would be three times bigger than the world's longest dike, the 33km-long Saemangeum Seawall in South Korea, would cost hundreds of millions of dollars, but experts are warning that the cost to the Thai economy of sea-water flooding agricultural and industrial land could be far higher.

The massive dike would be technically feasible, according to Cor Dijkgraaf, a Dutch architect and urban planner. "The sea is only around 20m deep in most places, so technically it is no problem at all – the issue is one of cost," he said.

"There are fishing communities all along the coast, and this would have a huge economic and social impact on them," he said.

In 50 years time, they could be selling chanotes for what was the sea after it has silted up.

I see a cunning real estate business here.

BANGKOK—For years, Thailand’s top disaster guru has sounded an apocalyptic warning: the sea is rising, Bangkok is sinking and the coastal metropolis will sit under nearly two metres of water by 2030.

The only bulwark against this scenario is a $2.8 billion dike to seal off Bangkok from the sea, says Smith Dharmasaroja, head of Thailand’s National Disaster Warning Centre.

But a plan to do just that, elevated from obscurity by Thailand’s new government, is getting creamed by environmentalists, experts and fishermen alike. Even Smith, who has pushed the idea on politicians for years, believes the plan’s latest incarnation is mostly fantasy.

“Impossible,” he said. “The plan has to be abandoned.”

Thailand’s ruling Pheu Thai party, elected last month, ran on a promise to erect a 30-kilometre seawall to save Bangkok from flooding. That proposal, and its drastic effects on the environment, are controversial enough.

But the party is pairing that plan with a vow to pull off an extremely ambitious engineering feat: erecting a modern “new city” behind the seawall.

“We don’t have to save money to build the dam and fill in the sea,” according to a policy brief from the party. “We’ll get 300 square kilometres of new land” that can be developed and sold at a profit. “We could have various city centres, industries that don’t have to pollute.”http://www.farangtal...y-from-drowning

Edited by dcutman

It will never work for one simple reason.

the misadministration would not give a Dutchman a work visa to do it. They have Universities full of experts who have nothing to do except pontificate.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Minister Plodprasop is always looking for Massive Budgets for Huge projects. Itis his job.

Building dykes across the area offshore of Samut Prakhan and Samut Songkram would cause major environmental damage.

Read about Dubai and its scheme. We all know who lives in Dubai by now?

http://www.geographi...n_-_Jul_11.html

Minister Plodprasop is always looking for Massive Budgets for Huge projects. Itis his job.

Building dykes across the area offshore of Samut Prakhan and Samut Songkram would cause major environmental damage.

Was the P.M. in the country when this minister was seeking this money for this mega venture. What is the P.M.s stance on this.??

Was the P.M. in the country when this minister was seeking this money for this mega venture. What is the P.M.s stance on this.??

This will be her stance as always. The Sgt Schultz syndrome.

I have a better idea.

Good idea...and the govt produces plenty of political hot air to inflate the cushion day or night.

Even the people in that photo couldn't keep a straight face among them. laugh.png

Na, they were just contemplating how much of the budget would end up in their bank accounts. Hence the smiles.

If I had a (insert menetary value) for every time that corruption was was mentioned in the terms of budget and government officials I'd be a very rich man.

If I had a (insert menetary value) for every time good rock solid evidence was provided to back up such claims I'd be a very poor man.

Even the people in that photo couldn't keep a straight face among them. laugh.png

Na, they were just contemplating how much of the budget would end up in their bank accounts. Hence the smiles.

If I had a (insert menetary value) for every time that corruption was was mentioned in the terms of budget and government officials I'd be a very rich man.

If I had a (insert menetary value) for every time good rock solid evidence was provided to back up such claims I'd be a very poor man.

Yep muttley you are correct. There is no or very little corruption in Thailand. As I have posted before I have some beautiful beach front property on the Pacific ocean in Udon Thani. Are you interested in purchasing it? Only twenty million Baht per rai.