Thai Girls Feel Threatened By Farang Girls?

LaraC

EDIT: oops, title should really read "thai girls FEEL threatened by farang girls?". Sorry to cause any drama and confusion!

Its something my boyfriend has mentioned to me at different times. Hes a Farang guy and dated Thai women for about 5 years before we got together.

He said that in the past when he had a Thai gf, when interested girls came up to him to chat , and they enquired if he had a Thai gf and he said yes, it wouldnt halt their come-on's at all. They didnt seem to care in the least. Numbers would land on his lap. (Btw, he is young and attractive..just for reference!)

Yet, over the couple of years we have been together, when they ask this, and he tells them no, he has a farang gf, they (he said) recoil away.

In his words he says he thinks they view it as farang girls are the "unknown entity".

He recons the girls feel perfectly ok about stealing from their own, but back off if dealing with a guy who has a farang gf.

What you guys think?

Also, i do notice when i go to a club i get a lot of up/down stares from the women..it doesnt feel friendly, even when i give a smile, i get a sucking lemon look in return or a smile that looks painted. Outside in general, i get pleasant interactions. But the "pretty" girls often give dagger treatment.

I find it sad that many girls here would have no problems with attempting to steal another womans man, and that they judge each other too much on looks alone.

Of course i dont mean across the board, but it does seem to happen enough to worth mentioning because its above normal.

Edited by LaraC

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could be like you said; fear of the unknown.

You said that Thai girls often give you bad looks. This could be because you are fairly attractive. From what I've seen when friends come to visit (girls), the ones that have weight problems or for whatever reason are deemed unattractive by Thai standards, make friends with Thais easier, I would suppose because their threat level is low. but who knows really...

You might not like to hear this, but there is also a possibility, a strong one, that your b/f is simply telling you this because he doesn't want you to be suspicious or worried about him straying. He could be just wanting to assuage any fears you may have about him having his heart stolen by another. As you said he is "young and attractive". Some guys WANT their g/f to know that girls hit on him and that they want to steal him because the guy thinks that if his g/f hears that, she will try "extra hard" to keep him.

Ive never had a farang g/f while ive been here so I don't have first hand experience.

• Like 1

We both live in Thailand.

Somtampet - its my boyfriend that brought it up, not me. So its not in my mind. But yes, the "looks" is my perspective, but ive had Thai friends laugh about it saying the girls dont like the pretty farang girls and to just ignore them. Which i do! People should be judged not just on looks alone. If a girl is so shallow that she wont be nice to me because she thinks im too much competition, its very sad, and wouldnt want to know them anyway.

kblaze - Im not worried about him straying. I dated Thai before and he dated a lot of Thai before. He had a Thai gf for two year then dated/slept around and lost interest. He says he didnt find enough substance..in his experience. Hes the one who persued me relentlessly. Anyway, personally feel good about myself, so not concerned or threatened. Girls like him, guys like me, but we like each other, so if either of us fk's up, it would be a real loss to us both. People with brains try not to mess with a good thing..lol.

• Like 2

You said that Thai girls often give you bad looks. This could be because you are fairly attractive. From what I've seen when friends come to visit (girls), the ones that have weight problems or for whatever reason are deemed unattractive by Thai standards, make friends with Thais easier, I would suppose because their threat level is low. but who knows really...

You might not like to hear this, but there is also a possibility, a strong one, that your b/f is simply telling you this because he doesn't want you to be suspicious or worried about him straying. He could be just wanting to assuage any fears you may have about him having his heart stolen by another. As you said he is "young and attractive". Some guys WANT their g/f to know that girls hit on him and that they want to steal him because the guy thinks that if his g/f hears that, she will try "extra hard" to keep him.

Ive never had a farang g/f while ive been here so I don't have first hand experience.

There are plenty of thais who are obesse,a very worrying trend in Thailand.U make out all thai ladies are small and pretty,they are not,far from it.

We both live in Thailand.

Somtampet - its my boyfriend that brought it up, not me. So its not in my mind. But yes, the "looks" is my perspective, but ive had Thai friends laugh about it saying the girls dont like the pretty farang girls and to just ignore them. Which i do! People should be judged not just on looks alone. If a girl is so shallow that she wont be nice to me because she thinks im too much competition, its very sad, and wouldnt want to know them anyway.

kblaze - Im not worried about him straying. I dated Thai before and he dated a lot of Thai before. He had a Thai gf for two year then dated/slept around and lost interest. He says he didnt find enough substance..in his experience. Hes the one who persued me relentlessly. Anyway, personally feel good about myself, so not concerned or threatened. Girls like him, guys like me, but we like each other, so if either of us fk's up, it would be a real loss to us both. People with brains try not to mess with a good thing..lol.

U are 100% right,any shallow person is not worth your friendship,i dont do shallow people,take me as u find me,and that lovely thai sentence, som nam na or UP TO YOU LOL LOL.There are plenty of thais that like u,by the sound of it.

OP-->In regards to the Thai women and your boyfriend...I think he would be more "off limits". It's like this, if he is Faland and with a Falang, that means he is with someone who speaks the same language and shares the same culture with him. Also means that he may not be into the Thai physical features, or the other "charms" of Thai women. (I.E. he's not a sexpat.) Take a look at it from the perspective of a Thai woman who sees a Falang guy is already with a Falang girl. If you are the Thai girl, are you going to be able to better "connect" in terms of language and culture, than the Falang girl? Basically, if you are the Thai girl, how are you going to be a better experience than the girlfriend he's already got?

And the "dagger looks" inside the clubs...pretty girls don't like competition from other pretty girls.

• Like 2

OP-->In regards to the Thai women and your boyfriend...I think he would be more "off limits". It's like this, if he is Faland and with a Falang, that means he is with someone who speaks the same language and shares the same culture with him. Also means that he may not be into the Thai physical features, or the other "charms" of Thai women. (I.E. he's not a sexpat.) Take a look at it from the perspective of a Thai woman who sees a Falang guy is already with a Falang girl. If you are the Thai girl, are you going to be able to better "connect" in terms of language and culture, than the Falang girl? Basically, if you are the Thai girl, how are you going to be a better experience than the girlfriend he's already got?

And the "dagger looks" inside the clubs...pretty girls don't like competition from other pretty girls.

Though the message got through, it sure was hard to look "between the lines".

There are plenty of thais who are obesse,a very worrying trend in Thailand.U make out all thai ladies are small and pretty,they are not,far from it.

Please highlight where I said all thai ladies are small and pretty. thank you.

This explanation makes the most sense.

In a way, it's somewhat similar to a single farang guy hitting on a Thai girl who he knows is with another farang guy already. He assumes that she must be "into farangs," a lot safer than any random Thai girl who may not be, and definitely safer than a Thai girl who's with a Thai guy and has no interest in a farang.

• Like 1

funny how some feel that farang women should feel threatened by thai women. There is very little they have going on that would make any farang women I know envious beit their catch of a farang bf/husband (lol) or looks. ;)

OP, I think submaniacs reply sums it up well.

I suggest what the OP is describing would be fairly mormal reactions for many young women in many countries.

I think scorecard nailed it. I suspect that the OP and her boyfriend are both in their twenties, and both are attractive. When I was in my teens and early twenties I saw lots of jealousy between young women competing for the same guy. That is more likely to happen in the young socializing Thai clubs. As someone pointed out, it seldom happens in the hooker bars where the working girls are looking for a paycheque and know the young handsome guys can get all the free love they want from the backpacker crowd.

All I can suggest is enjoy it while it lasts. It doesn't last forever and when you are a middle age gal in Thailand you'll be competing with lots of pretty, young and attractive Thai women.

Rene is right.

In a few years the pretty young things will start catching his attention.

Enjoy the moment...for it is fleeting.

• Like 2