Difference Of Opinion With Another Nes Teacher

chonabot

I asked another teacher to check my test questions for the M4 finals next week.

One of my questions/answers reads like this :

1. Which one of these phrases displays expressing a preference?

a) I'd love to

b I'd rather not

c) I'm tired

d) I'm annoyed

I marked a) as the correct answer on the answer key.

She argued that a) or b could be the right answer.

IMO - I'd rather not is displaying the choice to not do something or not go somewhere etc.

I suggested that this is an antonym of preference as it is displaying a dislike of a suggestion.

She then stated that it means that someone would prefer not to do something and therefore is displaying a preference of sorts.

Am I wrong?

This is no biggie but I am curious to here your thoughts smile.png

Edited by chonabot

She's correct, however if you put "What is the best answer"

Then a) is still correct

In general, asking for the "best" answer is better than just asking for the answer, as then you don't need to potentially split hairs over an answer which is technically correct but not as obviously correct as the original.

• Like 1

I would think this was yet another multiple choice question that had more than one possible answer. In this case either a) or B

As a student taking the test, I would be forced to choose B as a) is usually used to indicate strong desire or an enthusiastic acceptance of a suggestion rather than expressing a preference.

This question needs to be changed.

Edited by Briggsy
  • Like 1

I think you're wrong and she's correct

i (woul)'d rather not clearly expresses a preference.

you are wrong.

The fact that both options 1 and 2 begin with I would should indicate to you that both statements are similar in intent

Edited by candypants

I thought b was the correct answer because 'would rather' has the same meaning as 'would prefer' which just seems to be what the question was getting at. As it's an M4 test, the question should be changed - but what does it matter, Thai students can't fail, right?

Edited by aussiebebe

Sorry, but if it's an "ordinary" program ,with only one hour taught by you, I'd make it much easier.

Now it's not about if a or b is right. The question itself is not one that shows kids ability in English. Multiple orgasms...aeeh questions are questionable.--

I'd say a and b are right. But if that has to be discussed first, just don't use it. coffee1.gif

Edited by sirchai

Both A and B are correct. Looks like a model question from a Thai teacher - where of course there is only one correct answer, even though multiple exist.

'A' would only be correct if it was part of a sentence that went along the lines of :

"I'd love to ________ in stead of _______"

or

"Would you rather ___________ in stead of ___________? I'd love to."

If the entire exam question was as Chonabot has written in his post then the only answer that indicates preference is B

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 1

Sorry but a or b.

maybe you should take a leaf out of the O-net and ask them to pick the most correct. whistling.gif

Please take the time to ensure your tests are grammatically correct. Its bad enough the students have to go through this with their thai teachers. blink.png

Sorry M'lud coffee1.gif

I agree - that's why I asked her to check.

A few teachers left us in the lurch and as a result we are swamped.

I'm currently still marking mid terms re-sits as well as setting the M1 and M3/M4 final tests.

I made this mistake by quoting an example from the current coursebook - and as a result I am still okay with the mistake.

Had I been sloppy and not asked anyone to check, then I would be angry with myself.

Being busy isn't always the best recipe for accurate testing; hence the use of a colleague smile.png

Edited by chonabot

She is correct! A. & B are both expressing a preference,which is personal choice,and choosing either A. or B. would also have been correct.

Note: As questions C & D are irrelevant,then any combination answer of A & B is a dead giveaway, answer in a multichoice answer test.

Edited by MAJIC

Even I can see that a & b are correct, and I'm not English and neither am I a teacher whistling.gif

Like I said, it can be easy to make a simple mistake when you are over worked - I hold up my hands and admit to that smile.png

Teaching a group of 50-60 kids, twenty times a week, is a different matter altogether; whether you are a NES or not.

I agree that we should not be setting these tests, but it gives an insight into how seriously the Thai School consider the 'English conversation' syllabus.

Edited by chonabot
  • Like 1