Crackdown On Traffic Offenders

webfact

How about giving tickets for not using indicators? Also a good idea would be to impoud cars trucks etc that are in desolate condition.

Unfortunately these steps would be very unpopular with many voters.

Anyway nothing is going to happen.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just amazing the amount of scepticism on this board. I for one say it's a great thing that the cops are cracking down on traffic violators. Even if they only catch one person breaking a traffic law, that's better than none. And I don't even care whether the fine / bribe goes into the police coffers or to his mia noi. Either way, the violator pays!

Anyway, they are out in force today. One posse at the start of Rama IX coming from Suvarnabhumi and another on Ratchadapisek (just in front of Caesar's). I was on my PCX, properly helmeted, jacketed, shoe'd (ok, trousered also) so no problem as I didn't break any of the above five rules (or any of the other thousand made up ones) so was not even stopped. But I see lots of other motorists and motorcyclists stopped - if they had broken any of the rules, then som na na!

100 tickets a day....guess this means they will have to actually issue the tickets versus negotiating an on-the-spot payment to not issue a ticket.

Exactly, but since they can hand out 100 legitimate tickets within an hour or so, but have an officially sanctioned roadblock for the whole day, they can mix and match tickets and bribes with the blessings of the top brass.

Too many flaws in this psychological approach to motivate workers to fulfill their sworn responsibilities and duties. Where does one choose to begin?

Monthly ticket quotas are not unusual in many police forces around the world.

A couple of days ago I saw a speeding ticket issued after the driver was caught via camera. It was sent to her registered address. If they had cameras at traffic lights they would surely catch hundreds per day. Ok, I realsie many will simply ignore the payment or they wont be at the registered address but there are other ways to ensure payment like not allowing renewal of yearly car registration if fines not paid.

OK I know they could easily meet those targets honestly, but it reads like target setting.

This is dangerous territory!!!

We all know what happened when Thaksin set targets of effectively murdering a quota of drug related criminals - otherwise the responsible officials would be dismissed or demoted if they didn't achieve their quota whereas those exceeding their given numbers were rewarded or promoted:

For those who don't know, 2,500 people lost their lives with over 50% of the number being innocent bystanders shot mistakenly or caught in the crossfire!!!

Can you anticipate what the police will be doing if they are way off their quota with time running out???

Best you are not in the area when this situation arises.

I applaud the crackdown on people breaking the laws of the road as it is plain dangerous. But setting targets is a highly dangerous and irresponsible way to go about achieving this aim.

How many of you nay sayers have studied criminal law or law administration.? Your downplaying of every try to improve a country does nothing positive.

So easy to laugh every attemp off. But not one attempt at a solution.

I've got a solution!!

Do everything mentioned to stop people flaunting the law - BUT DON"T SET TARGETS!!!

• Like 1

How many of you nay sayers have studied criminal law or law administration.? Your downplaying of every try to improve a country does nothing positive.

So easy to laugh every attemp off. But not one attempt at a solution.

This will improve the country? You are very naive.

These 'crackdowns' have been going on for years & they do absolutely nothing to improve anything except the BIB's bank accounts. I've never seen a motorcyclist stopped & fined for driving on the pavement. All they do is target motorcyclists not staying in the left-hand lane & the odd one without a helmet.

I've watched them many times next to On Nut BTS station & most locals know when to take alternative routes to avoid them. Go up country and spend a few minutes - even on a main road - watching how every type of traffic law is violated, quite often by the police themselves.

• Like 1

All sarcasm aside, in reality, 100 a day is a little unrealistic. Assuming they are actually at their post for 8 hours (I don't know what their shift actually is), that is one ticket approximately every 5 minutes (4.8). If they are expected to do their job properly, they would have to get the rider to stop, check their license, check their sticker or book, exchange a brief conversation with the rider and write and issue the ticket.

I guess with the usual overstaffed checkpoints, they could set up a "production line", but that is not what I would call good policing. Don't they also have some other duties in there somewhere?

They can easily do this and tow the bikes to the yard as well. They can have the tickets started before the bike stops. They do in Pattaya.

Tons of comments and viewpoints but sadly we all know - nothings gonna change.

If there is no fear of getting caught then people will continue to break the law

When people see the police themselves breaking the law - what incentive is there for them to follow the law. Hypocrisy at its finest.

And as long as the police bosses continue to accept their officers doing nothing but sit in air-con boxes pressing a button every 5 minutes - sure, nothing will change.

I'm waiting to see a "cutting in front of other vehicles from close range" checkpoint.

Me too! I experience about 5 of these incidents every time I drive into the city.

I've seen a few near-misses and often wish I was driving a tank (armed of course).

What the 'ell is the hurry with these guys? they swerve in and out of traffic, fill the 'safe' gap between me and the car in front, and then rush off to do the same to the next car. I often see them waiting at the traffic lights, about 2 cars in front of me. w00t.gif

• Like 1

All sarcasm aside, in reality, 100 a day is a little unrealistic. Assuming they are actually at their post for 8 hours (I don't know what their shift actually is), that is one ticket approximately every 5 minutes (4.8). If they are expected to do their job properly, they would have to get the rider to stop, check their license, check their sticker or book, exchange a brief conversation with the rider and write and issue the ticket.

I guess with the usual overstaffed checkpoints, they could set up a "production line", but that is not what I would call good policing. Don't they also have some other duties in there somewhere?

They will collect 100 without breaking sweat.. I could sit for 1 hour and see more than 100 driving offences commited

I think there's a difference between seeing an offence and actually stopping someone and doing the paperwork. A lot of offences take place at speed and require police in vehicles to stop them as in other countries. I can't remember the last time I saw a checkpoint in the UK.

Another point is if for instance they stop an old bike with no lights, no licence plates, no test certificate and faulty brakes ridden by a guy with no licence, insurance or helmet what do they do? Here I assume they would issue a fine and let him on his way. What should happen in most cases is the bike should be impounded and not allowed on the road without being fixed and the rider kept off the road until they take a test. There's no point letting them ride off committing the same offence.

Of course better testing would be a help as well.

I think the figure of 100 has been clarified in another post.

Edited by kimamey

Yeah, rereading it, you're probably correct. I am used to a country where police officers actually work alone and don't use swarms of officers at checkpoints.

I think the problem is you come from a country where they have a police force in the true sense of the phrase.

Yeah, rereading it, you're probably correct. I am used to a country where police officers actually work alone and don't use swarms of officers at checkpoints.

I think the problem is you come from a country where they have a police force in the true sense of the phrase.

I would like to think so anyway. Actually, in the U.S. checkpoints are illegal as they were deemed an unconstitutional infringement on the rights of the innocent individuals.

I would like to think so anyway. Actually, in the U.S. checkpoints are illegal as they were deemed an unconstitutional infringement on the rights of the innocent individuals.

I think in the UK they're sometimes used for things like checks on heavy goods vehicles or other specific targets. Speeding is usually through mobile or static cameras. Patrol vehicles which are sometimes unmarked are used a lot. These have cameras which give evidence of violations including speed. Of course this means there's almost no opportunity for corruption and it's not just your word against the police.

These are driving against the traffic flow, driving on footpaths, double-parking, cutting in front of other vehicles from close range and running a red light.

Police precincts that fail to meet the goal would have to explain why directly to Worasak.

You could be hammered like a cockroach, don't need a driver's license. I'm wondering how many cops will get a ticket.....w00t.gif

Well, I have installed a car cam to automatically record all sights and sounds through my windscreen and, if necessary after a quick swivel, record all that goes on from the driver's side window. You never know when it's likely to come in handy. It's brilliant.