What Are The Speed Limits In Thailand?

rene123

I never see them posted anywhere and there is no standard set by any Thai driver that I see. Thais drive anywhere at any speed and very often in the wrong lane coming at you. I know the top speed that I personally drive, but it's usually much slower than the pickup-trucks that pass me. Occasionally, on the highway I will ride at about 100 to about 115 km/hr, but that is about it, and only for a short distance before I'm forced to slow down again for no other reason than common sense. I just don't trust drivers who come to rolling stops and "might" pull into traffic in front of me. That has happened just often enough for me not to trust anyone, anywhere at any time.

And, in the city the fraffic flow seems to dictate a maximum top speed of about 60 km/hr, and usually less. I'm constantly speeding up and slowing down as I weave in and out of slow moving lines of tucks and cars. But, I'm still not sure about the actual speed limit.

I understand that traffic lights are just a generality and only to be obeyed when everyone else stops. If someone is going through on a red light then it seems the dozen following vehicles can ALSO go throught the same red light. It's funny that there are never any police handing out tickets in those situations.

I'm never sure what the speed limit is except on our local bypass where there's a 60 sign which everyone ignores. My GPS, however, seems to be well informed. It shows my speed and the local speed limit. If I'm exceeding the limit as I approach a place where there could be a road block or speed trap, it gives a loud audible warning well in advance.

I got pulled over for speeding last year.

The police officer flags me down and tells me I've been speeding. To paraphrase slightly:

I ask him what is the speed limit. He tells me 95 kmh

I tell him I wasn't going that fast.

He walks away and another officer comes to my window and tells me I must pay a fine as I was speeding.

I ask him what is the speed limit. He tells me 90 kmh !

I tell him I wasn't going that fast !

I then ask him how fast was I going ?

He says a camera further back caught me speeding. I said good, it will show proof that I wasn't speeding.

I was told to be on my way but don't drive too fast...

I still never found out exactly what the speed limit was, but I think its 110 on highways...

On the Toll ways I believe it to be 120 kmh, but the illuminated signs always say 80 kmh !

I generally ride the highways at 140-150, but I also have a plate flipper device operated from a handlebar switch. I keep it flipped down while speeding and flip it back up for checkpoints. No photo radar for me! Well, not since my avatar picture, after which I installed the plate flipper. I also use the plate flipper for running red lights, as many intersections have cameras. Luckily, motorcycles do not have plates on the front, allowing me to ride on the wrong side of the road with impunity.

My GPS also shows the speed limit for some highways. One time I was driving my truck at about 100 kph and my GPS showed the limit to be 110 kph. I got stopped at a check point and the BIB told me I was speeding and asked for money. He said they used radar. I asked him how fast he had clocked me and he told me 100. I asked what the limit was and he told me 90 kph. I told him, "Excuse me, but you are misinformed; the speed limit here is 110 kph." I showed him the GPS, which had the little box showing "110 KPH" as the limit, and told him it never made a mistake. He waived me on. Was the GPS correct and he was lying? Or did it just begin to seem like too much trouble dealing with the farang?

Edited by Ticketmaster

Thanks. I was doing a 110 several times and vehicles went by me so fast that I got off the bike to see if I was parked.

That is a great story, Richard Smith. I can believe it.

Had a similar experience, cop says 150 (was actually doing 250) asked him for the proof - he gets on the radio to obviously someone further back with a radar and the look on his face spoke a thousand words - no picture, so the guy with the radar was just guessing and before anyone says anything - 250 can be achieved quite quickly and safely on a "superbike" within a very short distance and back down again within breaks in traffic

I generally ride the highways at 140-150, but I also have a plate flipper device operated from a handlebar switch. I keep it flipped down while speeding and flip it back up for checkpoints. No photo radar for me! Well, not since my avatar picture, after which I installed the plate flipper. I also use the plate flipper for running red lights, as many intersections have cameras. Luckily, motorcycles do not have plates on the front, allowing me to ride on the wrong side of the road with impunity.

My GPS also shows the speed limit for some highways. One time I was driving my truck at about 100 kph and my GPS showed the limit to be 110 kph. I got stopped at a check point and the BIB told me I was speeding and asked for money. He said they used radar. I asked him how fast he had clocked me and he told me 100. I asked what the limit was and he told me 90 kph. I told him, "Excuse me, but you are misinformed; the speed limit here is 110 kph." I showed him the GPS, which had the little box showing "110 KPH" as the limit, and told him it never made a mistake. He waived me on. Was the GPS correct and he was lying? Or did it just begin to seem like too much trouble dealing with the farang?

and the plate flipper works how exactly James

and the plate flipper works how exactly James

its basically a fake plate on top of your normal plate

usually controlled by a button installed on the dash (in a car) or handlebar etc on a bike

you say your an x-cop and your havent even heard of it ?blink.png

On the Toll ways I believe it to be 120 kmh, but the illuminated signs always say 80 kmh !

Tollways in metropolitan Bangkok are 80 as that is the limit in Bangkok. That's what the big sign says just after the toll booths and why the illuminated signs always say 80. On Bang na -Trat outside Bangkok it is 110. Motorway is 120 except the odd short sections with steep Klong bridges where the limit is 90.

As if anyone I see driving, really careswhistling.gif

Edited by VocalNeal

can't see how it's logistically possible on a bike (well mine anyway) maybe room on yours for a rotating plate

I don't own or use one but it doesn't rotate from the YouTube videos I've seen

The fake plate is pushed horizontal so a speed camera or following vehicles etc can. Only read the fake plate underneath

Obviously it wouldnt stand up to a close police inspection but on a fast bike like check '' ghostrider '' etc

that's probably not an issue :)

A talented rider on a bike that can do 320kmph+ easily

Is near impossible to stop without shooting him off it which is illegal in most places

As much as you want depending on what you ride and your capability.

Police sent a letter including a photo to my office. 178 kmh gps indicated speed while i was driving to some business meetings with the company car outside of bangkok. My only speeding fine for 5 years here.

So, 178 kmh is not legal in Thailand.:D

Edited by loserlazer
  • Like 1

80 to 90 kph, within towns!

Crazy stuff indeed! w00t.gif

the world has no shortage of lunatics ! laugh.png

And it would appear many are contributers to this forum, or are they just braggards? I hope I never hear these same people complaing about the way Thais drive.

i dont have the skills to split lanes with traffiic at 250-300 kmph

even if i had them or thought i had

ive seen too many amputees , paralised and comatose indivividuals who may be vegetables until the life support machines are turned off

to start weaving through traffic at 300

makes nice videos for the internet but if the guys really had talent (and some of them have ) they should take it to a race track and test themselves

against rossi and the other great riders

• Like 1

I also use the plate flipper for running red lights, as many intersections have cameras. Luckily, motorcycles do not have plates on the front, allowing me to ride on the wrong side of the road with impunity.

You're either a troll or just a dangerous idiot.............I can't decide which one.

90 on Hiways, 60 in towns on hiways unless otherwise posted. Or as David48 pointed out, Whatever the police tell you it is.

I was pulled over for doing 120 kph north of Bangkok, little south of Nakhon SA, in a 90 zone. Many officers whom would step into a bikes path but not the Toyota's going far faster then me. 400 Baht and I was allowed on my way, this was the first and only time I had the full meal deal; key removed, panniers quickly searched, plus licence and regs carefully inspected. Of course attended by 3 friendly, smiling, chatty officers....they liked I had a fly rod strapped to my handle bars and Chiang Mai plates...even made change from a 1000. They told me max 60 on back roads unless posted (?) also; um yes officers I do that.....

90 on Hiways, 60 in towns on hiways unless otherwise posted. Or as David48 pointed out, Whatever the police tell you it is.

I was pulled over for doing 120 kph north of Bangkok, little south of Nakhon SA, in a 90 zone. Many officers whom would step into a bikes path but not the Toyota's going far faster then me. 400 Baht and I was allowed on my way, this was the first and only time I had the full meal deal; key removed, panniers quickly searched, plus licence and regs carefully inspected. Of course attended by 3 friendly, smiling, chatty officers....they liked I had a fly rod strapped to my handle bars and Chiang Mai plates...even made change from a 1000. They told me max 60 on back roads unless posted (?) also; um yes officers I do that.....

First rule in Asia during a police stop:

Always remove your key and put it in your pocket right away as the first thing. Your key in the hands of police means you will pay some good amount or you wait a good amount or they can take your key to police station if they get angry and leave you in the sidewalk with your expensive bike-weight.

And strange to get searched that heavy. I am sure just to make you scared and nervous so they can get 400 thb easily.

Never get stopped by police regarding speeding on a bike.

Anyway, 400 baht is nothing if you compare with out countries, right?

"The outer ring-road is 120 except where otherwise marked; the main highways outside Bangkok (the Asian Highway or AH routes) are 110 except where otherwise marked. I drove 350km between downtown Bangkok and the north west of Nakhon Sawan province every week for 8 years until 2004 and nearly always got fined for speeding (deservedly) in both directions. I once asked a cop who pulled me as to the speed limit (this was on the Nakhon Sawan part of the Asian Highway) and was told that it was 110 but that the Nakhon Sawan police would not fine you unless you were doing over 117 ( I had previously believed the limit to be 90). I always asked a cop pulling me after that day as to how fast I had been driving – they ALWAYS said 118! I simply called them liars and refused to pay on the few occasions that I was not doing more than 117…and never had a problem." http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/571795-gps-highway-speed-limits/

“…allowing me to ride on the wrong side of the road with impunity.” Ticketmaster, the 23yo that I met doing that on a CBR250 last year committed suicide with the assistance of my car.