Declaring Cash On Arrival And Departure

mingalaba

I will bring a large amount of Cash with me when visiting Bangkok for a day. Only going to stay for one night and change from Suvarnabhumi to Don Muang. According to Thai custom regulations I will have to declare the money I am taking with me both on arrival and on departure. Does anybody have experiences with this? Is it even reasonable to declare my money? I am going to bring my money in 500 Euro bills so it doesn´t even look like a big amount of money on first sight. Are the officials going to ask me questions where the money comes from and how it is used?

I belive the regulations are primarily aimed at preventing money laundering activities. In my opinion I would not take the risk of not declaring large amounts as if you don't they could take it off you at the airport on your way out saying that nothing was declared. Investigation might also follow to see if you were involved in illegal activities. Why risk it just declare. At a major airport you should not have corruption issues etc

u have to make a declaration at every airport ur departing and arriving at not just bkk, airports have cash detection dogs.........u declare it no offence if u dont declare it u commit an offence........pretty simple i think is just tick the box yes its not rocket science.

People are total wimps and think illogically when it comes to carrying cash. Does anybody know how large a 10k roll of 100 dollar bills is? Very small. Put it in a jacket in an inside pocket, how would anybody know it is there? The people that talk about somehow miraculously losing it; how many times out of 1000 flights have you lost your carry on luggage? You are way more likely to get run over by a semi than lose this money, I have no idea why people worry about it so much. I feel it is some sort of propaganda that certain people have put into our heads -- with no logic behind it -- to make money off of money transfers etc. To be honest, if you do lose it you probably deserve to lose it, so yes, wire it. I will end with some honesty, I have never carried 10k but about 2k was my max... and I would feel totally comfortable carrying more than 2k. IF nobody knows it is there it is pretty much no risk.

For some people, myself included, losing 10-20,000 usd at one time and not in the usual course of business is a lot of money to lose. It is not so much that it happens often that is relevant. It is if it happens once all those savings you made over years to get away from wiring money is gone and then some.

Instead, I wire to my Thai bank which costs me 15 euros and take out cash from my Thai bank via bank card and they charge me 100 baht.

Seems prudent to me. Not sure why you think it is so unreasonable to forget your jacket while its hot in the airport lounge get late for the plane and forget it. Hasn't happened to me but I'd rather not experience it to save a few pennies.

Well the thing is that I have to take the money into Myanmar. The only way to wire money into a Myanmar bank account is by bank transfer from Kasikorn Bank and a few other banks in Malaysia and Singapore. I don´t have a bank account in Thailand so I will have to take the money in cash.

I agree isawasnake, chances of any custom official taking notice of my money are very slim. As I said I will be carrying 500 Euro bills so it´s actually just a small stack. Anyways I will declare the money both in Germany (which should be more difficult) and also in Thailand. I will bring a copy of my recent bank transactions so I can prove the money is coming from my bank account. That and my onward flight ticket to Myanmar should be enough to convince them.

I was just trying to get some first hand info of people who have previously declared cash in Thailand and what the process was like.

People are total wimps and think illogically when it comes to carrying cash. Does anybody know how large a 10k roll of 100 dollar bills is? Very small. Put it in a jacket in an inside pocket, how would anybody know it is there? The people that talk about somehow miraculously losing it; how many times out of 1000 flights have you lost your carry on luggage? You are way more likely to get run over by a semi than lose this money, I have no idea why people worry about it so much. I feel it is some sort of propaganda that certain people have put into our heads -- with no logic behind it -- to make money off of money transfers etc. To be honest, if you do lose it you probably deserve to lose it, so yes, wire it. I will end with some honesty, I have never carried 10k but about 2k was my max... and I would feel totally comfortable carrying more than 2k. IF nobody knows it is there it is pretty much no risk.

For some people, myself included, losing 10-20,000 usd at one time and not in the usual course of business is a lot of money to lose. It is not so much that it happens often that is relevant. It is if it happens once all those savings you made over years to get away from wiring money is gone and then some.

Instead, I wire to my Thai bank which costs me 15 euros and take out cash from my Thai bank via bank card and they charge me 100 baht.

Seems prudent to me. Not sure why you think it is so unreasonable to forget your jacket while its hot in the airport lounge get late for the plane and forget it. Hasn't happened to me but I'd rather not experience it to save a few pennies.

yeah, but why in the world would it ever happen? ever? if i was an 18 year old girl travelling alone id not carry a lot of cash, but that isnt me, i am a man. but do what you want; people just dont understand, for god knows what reason, there is no risk, and even the slight .001 risk there may be exists in your bank in say thailand, or any other risk you can think of with your money. doesnt make sense, if you are going to worry like that, you should worry about other stuff more. i think people worry way too much about this, and i wonder why. like i said i think it is some kind of clever marketing implant, which it would not be the first time. and i would not forget my jacket because it has money in it; if you cant handle that, you are right, not for you.... but i can think of many things that arent for you if you cant handle that.... very simple things too. so yes, keep giving your money to the banks, really fine with me and preferred for some, i have done it too of course.

Edited by isawasnake
  • Like 1

If you decide to carry it without declaring, then make sure it is not in a handluggage that gets xrayed. It will show and you may get trouble.

I would suggest to devide into smaller packs, like 20 x 500 and use numerous pockets. Do not put it in a jacket, as that may be xrayed too.

I have done that 15 years ago regularly, but nowadays I would declare it, if it is much more than the allowed amount.

Is there really no way to use a cashiers check or anything like that?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Almost all negotiable monetary instruments are covered, at least by those countries which have limits and require a declaration.

From the U.S. CPB website:

Coin or currency from the U.S. and/or other countries, including gold coins*

Travelers Checks

Checks, promissory notes or money orders that can be cashed by the bearer. This includes checks or money orders made out to someone other than the bearer that are endorsed without restriction(i.e. for deposit only.), and incomplete checks, money orders, promissory notes that are signed but on which the name of the payee has been omitted (the "To" line is left blank)

Securities or stocks in bearer form

If declaring the cash in the departing country then it would be advisable to declare it in the arriving country.

Obviously the problem with declaring upon arrival in Thailand is that potentially nefarious elements might have knowledge of your arrival, potential local address (from the Arrival card) and the fact that you are carrying a large amount of cash. Depending on the amount, this might attract efforts to relieve you of your booty.

I'd also check on the regulations regarding bringing cash into Myanmar.

yeah, but why in the world would it ever happen? ever? if i was an 18 year old girl travelling alone id not carry a lot of cash, but that isnt me, i am a man. but do what you want; people just dont understand, for god knows what reason, there is no risk, and even the slight .001 risk there may be exists in your bank in say thailand, or any other risk you can think of with your money. doesnt make sense, if you are going to worry like that, you should worry about other stuff more. i think people worry way too much about this, and i wonder why. like i said i think it is some kind of clever marketing implant, which it would not be the first time. and i would not forget my jacket because it has money in it; if you cant handle that, you are right, not for you.... but i can think of many things that arent for you if you cant handle that.... very simple things too. so yes, keep giving your money to the banks, really fine with me and preferred for some, i have done it too of course.

That's a pretty childish mindset in my opinion. But it's your money do whatever you want.

I don't waste time or worries on anything for 15 euros because I charge way more by the hour for my services. Just the time it takes to go cross town to super rich to exchange the money is a waste of time and money for me.

If you decide to carry it without declaring, then make sure it is not in a handluggage that gets xrayed. It will show and you may get trouble.

I would suggest to devide into smaller packs, like 20 x 500 and use numerous pockets. Do not put it in a jacket, as that may be xrayed too.

I have done that 15 years ago regularly, but nowadays I would declare it, if it is much more than the allowed amount.

Does paper money really show up in the x-ray machines ?

Do you actually think that banks have planted into people's minds that they should not carry large sums of money on their person?? Really? How do they do this?

several times i brought cash money coming to Thailand on my yearly visits from Europe , never a problem with the SECURITY check people , they are not after money .... customs are the ones , even no problem when amount does not exceed 9999 € (but does not forget your extra coins to count if you push it that close , even TC are as cash counted !

even first time by putting jacket & bzg on the band i worried , so i warned the security about the money , no problem they said , as i maked clear , they matter is SECURITY not financial .

when travelling anyway i like to take the Bank transfer rate for me , and also i like the € to stay in €

bills for a part , by transfer they will be exchanged in Baht

And if need to declare in Thailand .... afterwards , best take no taxi ... take bus ..;many people better than allone with a Taxi , you never know ....T.I.T

aangifteformulier_liquide_middelen_iud0952z2plfol.pdf

Edited by david555

It always makes sense to travel with currency. The amount between bank rates and a proper currency broker in a major city is phenomenal. Multiply by large amounts and its quite amazing the 'extra' money you have.

Got 35.5 BHT per CAD when coming here. Exchanged 5000 CAD. Still had 2k I couldn't exchange due to lack of bills at that broker location .... tried to exchange that in Thailand, and I got barely over 30B/CAD.

Tried to get my GF who works at a bank to exchange a the 'bank rate' and not the custy rate ... ended up just going to Super Rich lol. Was a better rate, but still only 30.8

Edited by Lizard0

a proper currency broker in a major city is phenomenal.

Got 35.5 BHT per CAD when coming here. Exchanged 5000 CAD. Still had 2k I couldn't exchange due to lack of bills at that broker location .... tried to exchange that in Thailand, and I got barely over 30B/CAD.

I'd say this is a bit more than phenomenal. It sounds more akin to printing money. Getting ~ 15% over the current FX rate sounds too good to be true.

Can you expand at all on your experience? You exchanged 5,000 CAD for 177,500 THB? You did this recently? In Canada? Can you share the proper currency broker's contact details?

Typically one get's a much, much worse rate exchanging a domestic currency for THB, so your experiences run counter to just about anything I've ever heard about.

You need to be very careful about the money. Last time I was in Thailand my wife and I were asked to interpret for a couple who were trying to help a friend at detained at the airport.

He had come in with a large amount of cash and was locked up in the airport because he was unable to give complete information as to where it came from and how he got it.

They would release him but he had to pay a large fine and he wasn't allowed access to the cash that he was bringing in so he was unable to pay the fine.

Of course your mileage may vary but it does happen and you don't want to be the person who it happens to.

It doesn't seem worth the risk to me but it's your life your money you decide.

Up to the equivalent of USD $20,000 can be undeclared. I would not even consider carrying that much cash.

I don't know which country you are referring to, but the U.S. will not allow anyone to leave with over $10,000 cash. Period. Your country may be different.

Up to the equivalent of USD $20,000 can be undeclared. I would not even consider carrying that much cash.

I don't know which country you are referring to, but the U.S. will not allow anyone to leave with over $10,000 cash. Period. Your country may be different.

it is Thailand's rule who allows THE VALUE of 20000 us $ ....(or other currency in that value) to bring in Thailand , nothing to do with US regulations

I have traveled with 9000 US cash from time to time. So I am not worried about that. However if you do not report cash/equivalence

you risk loosing the total amount. You would be well advised to bring bank statements showing the provenance

of the money or you can still be in trouble because to have to be able to prove how you got the money(were it is from).

Not being familiar with Myanmar I would recommend travelers checks. Available from many places at no cost. You will

get a better exchange rate at the bank unless you are trading currency on the black market. Not recommended.

It's a risk not declaring it. If searched you could claim ignorance but whether you would be believed is another story.

For me, I have taken cash in to Thai but not that much out.

Would I try? No. I need to transfer some at present but wouldn't risk trying to smuggle it out.

If its legit and traceable there's no issues with declaring it.

If its not legit..... Mmmmm

• 2 weeks later...

You absolutely CAN leave the US with over $10,000 cash. But you are required by law to declare it if you do.