Monks / Priests / Air Crew First Priority.....

theblether

I was talking to a guy yesterday who was telling me that his flight from Vancouver to BKK took 16 hours, does that sound right? He said it was a hellish long flight, you could imagine there being serious stress on the Air Crew on flights of that length.

They will have additional crew possibly 1 or even 2 depending on airline to allow managed crew rest during ultra long haul such as that or longer.

I often hear Air Crew complain about being treated like skivvies, they point out that there primary job is safety. I think I'll need to have a closer look at their working conditions. smile.png

I used to get the same when I was doing the radio stuff in the Merchant Navy. Everybody thought my primary purpose in life was to set up HF phone calls to their wives on a Sunday afternoon.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel a Scottish Bill Bryson in the wings...whistling.gif

A favourite author of mine.

theblether, if you have never read his A Short History of Nearly Everything ... I'll buy you a copy for Christmas.

roamer ... in the wings .. subtle.

Actually, I was very privilaged to be invited into a Monks home recently as the gf's mother's Uncle is a Monk and was given unfetted access with the camera ... I'll see if I can dig out a photo to share.

I have full permission to share.

Nice tale btw ... any plane photos ... whistling.gif

my brother in law is a monk, never seen a monk living in a home before lol.

I feel a Scottish Bill Bryson in the wings...whistling.gif

A favourite author of mine.

theblether, if you have never read his A Short History of Nearly Everything ... I'll buy you a copy for Christmas.

roamer ... in the wings .. subtle.

Actually, I was very privilaged to be invited into a Monks home recently as the gf's mother's Uncle is a Monk and was given unfetted access with the camera ... I'll see if I can dig out a photo to share.

Nice tale btw ... any plane photos ... whistling.gif

my brother in law is a monk,myself a former monk, never seen a monk living in a home before lol.

Edited by muythai2013

I suggest that anyone who thinks that monks have an easy life ordain for a few months, preferably somewhere like Wat Nong Pah Pong or Wat Pa Nanachat, and then come back here and tell us all how easy it was...

have done it, and every day is a very long and busy day.

should also add that during my time as a monk i was never asked to desighn airport chairs or any such comforts, is it the monks fault that people build things for him out of respect, do you really think a monk oversaw the building of the red leather chairs.

and my brother in law just returned fro India and myanmar, yes he paid for the tickets as air ticket tree's are in short supply and they are to lazy to pick them.

the money comes from donations, you know that, as for the food in the temples it's good as people bring their best food, better then they keep for themselves.

Took a while to find these photos ...

The Monk is my gf's mother's Uncle.

We dropped by his home to pay respect and it was an awesome opportunity to have an insight into the other side of being a Monk ... that what the Public would normally not get to see.

I have a fair bit of media* from that day and will probably do a separate thread on it later.

post-104736-0-59970600-1360796404_thumb.

Waiting ... (for for godot maybe)

The relative Monk is furthest from the camera

post-104736-0-52014600-1360796406_thumb.

The chanting and water pouring ceremony

His home is very humble.

In the background you can see the Alladin's cave.

Man, what a Garage these guys could have.

post-104736-0-36505000-1360796401_thumb.

Loved that terrazzo floor

* Permission granted from the Monk to re-broadcast the images and videos

• Like 2

Flight crew have nothing what so ever to do with monks, priest or any other imaginary friends.

Fact is, crew have duty restrictions and are all ready signed on well before they hit any check point to give the public confidence. The crews are working and it is not wise to delay flights while they are lining up, as it is in some countries like Australia, the mungral rent a cops would give crews a much harder time, I always seem to get a "random" check when departing Intl out of oz. To the point that it became so stupid some friends would log it, nearly every time. I used to dead head in civies and never once got selected for a random check. That is group 4 for ya.

well monks should be most patience one and so board last.

But considering how the life of monks changed the last few years, it is understandable.

(By the way monks don't only eat what they get....it should be that way, but it isn't)

I suggest that anyone who thinks that monks have an easy life ordain for a few months, preferably somewhere like Wat Nong Pah Pong or Wat Pa Nanachat, and then come back here and tell us all how easy it was...

Somewhat easier than being homeless or sweating your balls of in a factory for a few thousand a month. It's a pretty good earner actually with people's 'merit making' going directly into their pockets at ceremonies such as funerals and house ceremony. Unfortunately I have seen monks betting away donations at sports events and we have all seen them swanning around panthip buying phones and laptops, yeah really hard life.

Edited by sms747

Somewhat easier than being homeless or sweating your balls of in a factory for a few thousand a month. It's a pretty good earner actually with people's 'merit making' going directly into their pockets at ceremonies such as funerals and house ceremony. Unfortunately I have seen monks betting away donations at sports events and we have all seen them swanning around panthip buying phones and laptops, yeah really hard life.

have you lived the life, seen it first hand

as for the pics, still has not been answered, monks dont live in a house.

Assuming you are replying to my post ... ?

No mention of a house ... there is no concept of a major personal material possession.

I said 'home'. Which is so close to 'house' I understand the confusion ... but no problems ... let's move on, have a beer drunk.gif ... life is to short to worry about semantics.

Agreed ?

• Like 1

My conclusion after a two week 'trip' at the wat was that I could now survive almost anything / anywhere! wai.gif

No regrets though, definitely a great, unforgettable experience!

Mate ... you know well my current passion.

So, in the brief moments between enjoying the little luxuries of Business Class,

just what personal preparations you have made for this flight?

• Your ocular organs are working fine ... w00t.gif

• Blethering ... check - OK

• Personal health … DVT preventive measures:- yet to assessed.

Hydrate and exercise … biggrin.png

Yup....did all that, I even put on the flight socks for the first time. I was a pretty sight you know smile.png

• Like 1

My conclusion after a two week 'trip' at the wat was that I could now survive almost anything / anywhere! wai.gif

No regrets though, definitely a great, unforgettable experience!

How did you go about doing that?

What was involved in your day and how did you go about joining a monastery? How long did you stay for?

What was involved in your day and how did you go about joining a monastery? How long did you stay for?

I did it for 6 months, joining was a case of speaking to the Abbott, expressing my desire to do so and why.

I had stayed many times before this as the guests do who wear white.

besides daily prayers and temple duties that dont mantain themselves their is a lot of learning, teaching, and guidence to conduct.

we did not sit around in our huts all day, quite busy, very well will depend on the abbott to.

• Like 1

as for the pics, still has not been answered, monks dont live in a house.

Assuming you are replying to my post ... ?

No mention of a house ... there is no concept of a major personal material possession.

I said 'home'. Which is so close to 'house' I understand the confusion ... but no problems ... let's move on, have a beer drunk.gif ... life is to short to worry about semantics.

Agreed ?

my mistake, nice pics by the way, beautiful.

• Like 1

There was a monk near me that was at the temple in the town. Got hacked off with all the iphone, money etc so travelled up the mountain to a solo life in his own makshift temple.

Oh and I am suprised the op has not mentiomed business class tongue.png

• Like 1

I flew from Chiang Rai to Bangkok in December. I followed 2 monks onto the aircraft. One turned right into economy and the other turned left into business class.

I can't say I've seen a monk in Business Class yet, I'll try to get a photo if I do. smile.png

There's a lot to be said for Business Class travel thumbsup.gif

No but then never been homeless or worked for a pittance in a Thai factory either. Does not alter my opinion that Thai monks as a whole have become corrupt, lazy and that it's not a bad alternative to other ways of life here. They increasingly set a bad example of their supposed faith. Most of them are pretty clueless about that anyway, they chant away in pali every day, how many of them know what they are saying even?

I wonder what Buddha would have made of monks selling amulets, dabbling in fortune telling, magic and other nonsense which goes on here, forever building bigger wats being one of the more idiotic things they do. Rarely been to a wat where there is not a building project going on.

Edited by sms747

No but then never been homeless or worked for a pittance in a Thai factory either. Does not alter my opinion that Thai monks as a whole have become corrupt, lazy and that it's not a bad alternative to other ways of life here. They increasingly set a bad example of their supposed faith. Most of them are pretty clueless about that anyway, they chant away in pali every day, how many of them know what they are saying even?

I wonder what Buddha would have made of monks selling amulets, dabbling in fortune telling, magic and other nonsense which goes on here, forever building bigger wats being one of the more idiotic things they do. Rarely been to a wat where there is not a building project going on.

so monks as a whole are corrupt, that means all monks are corrupt.

ok

... or a very small proportion of Monks have allowed their suppressed desires to surface in a way or behaviour not becoming the Monkhood (excuse the terminology)?

I'm still a believer

But then again, maybe more fool me ... I believe the majority of Thais are honest hard working folk*.

* occasionally, individual circumstances do vary ... biggrin.png

You articulated python you.

I'm sitting in the lounge at the new terminal in Dubai airport.........the Imam has just started morning prayers and it's being piped over the PA system.....just gave me the fright of my life. sad.png

I've flown twice into Dubai's/Emirates new terminal the last two weeks and both times I've had to wait for about one hour in the immigration line, even when using the priority line.

Makes me slightly ashamed about all the cr@p I've said about Swampy.

You articulated python you.

I'm sitting in the lounge at the new terminal in Dubai airport.........the Imam has just started morning prayers and it's being piped over the PA system.....just gave me the fright of my life. sad.png

I've flown twice into Dubai's/Emirates new terminal the last two weeks and both times I've had to wait for about one hour in the immigration line, even when using the priority line.

Makes me slightly ashamed about all the cr@p I've said about Swampy.

They're introducing a smart card system in April, you can swipe your skywards card and walk through.