Monks / Priests / Air Crew First Priority.....

theblether

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rest easy. Some of the robes have a pocket, or they can carry their phone in a shoulder bag.

Perhaps, priests is a generic term for clergy of all faith, rabbis imams shamans.

All the monks that I regularly see get cooked food and none of them are very fat.

Air crew can get caught in traffic jams too, when they are running late I want them on the plane checking dials and making coffee asap

Travelling from Thailand in a dream state is not uniquely a Blether thing. I left my wallet, cards and passport in the transit lounge at Sydney four years back, but I had made it back in country. The hosty handing them back was Qantas though so no dream state there. Definitely tinking too much but strange now I cant remember what as there are too many other tings to tink about

• Like 2

Monks do pay something for their transportation but perhaps not the full monty. One that was hitchhiking once around Phang Nga told me that he caught the bus down from Korat at half price but the busdriver made him get off short. He then proceeded to give me some small items. The hitchhiking monk, will ask you to take him out of your way, buy him water, or solicit a donation, just do it, if you tink about it, its too much

Rest easy. Some of the robes have a pocket, or they can carry their phone in a shoulder bag.

Perhaps, priests is a generic term for clergy of all faith, rabbis imams shamans.

All the monks that I regularly see get cooked food and none of them are very fat.

Air crew can get caught in traffic jams too, when they are running late I want them on the plane checking dials and making coffee asap

Travelling from Thailand in a dream state is not uniquely a Blether thing. I left my wallet, cards and passport in the transit lounge at Sydney four years back, but I had made it back in country. The hosty handing them back was Qantas though so no dream state there. Definitely tinking too much but strange now I cant remember what as there are too many other tings to tink about

Apparently there was a story last week re BKK monks in particular becoming obese due to their poor diet........I'd normally research it but I was on a 6 day bender and I couldn't hold my thoughts together long enough.

ps. Is there an inherent defect with Qantas hostesses? Emirates ( who I fly with ) are tying up with them in March and you've got me worried now. blink.png

I feel a Scottish Bill Bryson in the wings...whistling.gif

A favourite author of mine.

theblether, if you have never read his A Short History of Nearly Everything ... I'll buy you a copy for Christmas.

roamer ... in the wings .. subtle.

Actually, I was very privilaged to be invited into a Monks home recently as the gf's mother's Uncle is a Monk and was given unfetted access with the camera ... I'll see if I can dig out a photo to share.

I have full permission to share.

Nice tale btw ... any plane photos ... whistling.gif

" Mister theblether, you left your credit cards and Emirates Gold card in the lounge "

Delighted as I was to have them back I was deflated that my one chance of happiness with this gorgeous creature was gone ...

Maybe one future tactic could be to enquire as the Flight Attendants name as you wish to personally thank her for her professional service and the return of the credits cards was appreciated and that you would like to show your appreciation in person ... whistling.gif

Qantas often have older women, usually theres nothing wrong with them but sometimes they dont stack up against the competition. I have half followed a story about Qantas trying to exploit various loopholes in Australian legislation to allow them to recruit overseas and pay less maybe too. So you'll be alright.

Monks upcountry usually have pretty sparse accomodation just a room, maybe a small TV, there will be a fridge somewhere. I worry about their feet walking all that way in the morning with no shoes. The other day I thunk too much and felt sorry for him, so borrowed my neighbours saleng (3 wheel) and gave him a lift back to the temple, via another house where people gave him food. That was a sight fit for a photo, shirtless ape putting mildly to wat, skinny monk clutching handrails.

Best flight I ever had was set next to a monk LHR-BKK with Thai. The Thais on the flight constantly brought food offerings. He handed them over to me and the guy on his other side. The look on the business passengers faves as a cattle class passenger was given priority, priceless.

Then I wondered, why should Air Crew get priority, surely they should turn up for work early enough to clear security like the rest of us? Is giving them priority just encouraging them to be tardy? I don't like the idea of air crew being tardy, where could that end?

1. Flight time limitations.

2. Do you want your crew turning up 2 hours earlier tired after queuing up at immigration/security, complete safety checks and aircraft preflight then fly your plane across the pacific and then having to deal with a abnormal event fatigued. - No I didn't think so..

Suck it up..... smile.png

However the monk issue I agree with...

Edited by negreanu

Then I wondered, why should Air Crew get priority, surely they should turn up for work early enough to clear security like the rest of us? Is giving them priority just encouraging them to be tardy? I don't like the idea of air crew being tardy, where could that end?

2. Do you want your crew turning up 2 hours earlier tired after queuing up at immigration/security, complete safety checks and aircraft preflight then fly your plane across the pacific and then having to deal with a abnormal event fatigued. - No I didn't think so..

Educate me re the flight time limitations......I have wondered about that in the past too. As I say I tink too mutt smile.png

Educate me re the flight time limitations

Basic version: Depending on local time (More restrictive if for example start time is between 23:00-05:00am) duty start time (usually 60mins prior to departure time) and the number of flights to be operated there is a limit on the hours crew can operate usually upto around the 13hour mark in the best case but as low as approx 9-10 hours in the worst.

This is governed by Aviation Authorities and Airline policy. It's more complicated than that but thats the basics.

So getting crew to report 2 hours earlier for security/immigration ain't gonna happen.

Same concept applies when crew arrives at destination as then minimum rest requirements come into play. So no time for queue up for security/immigration/Waiting bags on arrival.

Edited by negreanu

Educate me re the flight time limitations

Basic version: Depending on local time (More restrictive if for example start time is between 23:00-05:00am) duty start time (usually 60mins prior to departure time) and the number of flights to be operated there is a limit on the hours crew can operate usually upto around the 13hour mark in the best case but as low as approx 9-10 hours in the worst.

This is governed by Aviation Authorities and Airline policy. It's more complicated than that but thats the basics.

So getting crew to report 2 hours earlier ain't gonna happen.

I was talking to a guy yesterday who was telling me that his flight from Vancouver to BKK took 16 hours, does that sound right? He said it was a hellish long flight, you could imagine there being serious stress on the Air Crew on flights of that length.

I was talking to a guy yesterday who was telling me that his flight from Vancouver to BKK took 16 hours, does that sound right? He said it was a hellish long flight, you could imagine there being serious stress on the Air Crew on flights of that length.

They will have additional crew possibly 1 or even 2 depending on airline to allow managed crew rest during ultra long haul such as that or longer.

Educate me re the flight time limitations......I have wondered about that in the past too. As I say I tink too mutt smile.png

Long haul flights, they will use 2 flight crews. One take off and landing, the other cruise level crew.

• Like 1

They will have additional crew possibly 1 or even 2 depending on airline to allow managed crew rest during ultra long haul such as that or longer.

I often hear Air Crew complain about being treated like skivvies, they point out that there primary job is safety. I think I'll need to have a closer look at their working conditions. smile.png

Long haul flights, they will use 2 flight crews. One take off and landing, the other cruise level crew.

Which company ?

Actually there is a resting area not accessible to passengers where F.A. can take a rest during the flight

Mate ... you know well my current passion.

So, in the brief moments between enjoying the little luxuries of Business Class,

just what personal preparations you have made for this flight?

• Your ocular organs are working fine ... w00t.gif

• Blethering ... check - OK

• Personal health … DVT preventive measures:- yet to assessed.

Hydrate and exercise … biggrin.png

Edited by David48

I remember however many years ago it was, a month after the Tsunami which killed those many thousands in Phuket and elsewhere, sitting in the foyer of a hotel in Udon Thani reading the Bangkok Post. Almost a whole page was taken up with an article by a leading Bhuddist luminary discussing what justice there was in so many innocent lives being taken by that disaster. The burden of his argument was that as well as our individual existence we have a collective existence, and share a collective responsibility for all the evil in the world, and must suffer collectively. The only salvation lay in simplifying our lives, and sleeping on the floor and eating vegetables, like monks - (a paraphrase of a very long article, but that was the flavour of it.)

Later that morning we checked in at the airport for a flight to Chiang Mai, and went through to the departure lounge which was newly built and mostly bare concrete, apart from a few rows of plastic chairs. However, along one wall was the largest Chesterfield sofa I have ever seen, magnificent plush red leather. Above it was a sign:-

"Reserved for monks"

I subsided onto one of the plastic chairs, wondering whether there was something in that article that I had missed.

I suggest that anyone who thinks that monks have an easy life ordain for a few months, preferably somewhere like Wat Nong Pah Pong or Wat Pa Nanachat, and then come back here and tell us all how easy it was...

Easier than harvesting rice!

I remember however many years ago it was, a month after the Tsunami which killed those many thousands in Phuket and elsewhere, sitting in the foyer of a hotel in Udon Thani reading the Bangkok Post. Almost a whole page was taken up with an article by a leading Bhuddist luminary discussing what justice there was in so many innocent lives being taken by that disaster. The burden of his argument was that as well as our individual existence we have a collective existence, and share a collective responsibility for all the evil in the world, and must suffer collectively. The only salvation lay in simplifying our lives, and sleeping on the floor and eating vegetables, like monks - (a paraphrase of a very long article, but that was the flavour of it.)

Later that morning we checked in at the airport for a flight to Chiang Mai, and went through to the departure lounge which was newly built and mostly bare concrete, apart from a few rows of plastic chairs. However, along one wall was the largest Chesterfield sofa I have ever seen, magnificent plush red leather. Above it was a sign:-

"Reserved for monks"

I subsided onto one of the plastic chairs, wondering whether there was something in that article that I had missed.

"Reserved for monks"

The monks or clerics in Muslim countries have people be-headed for various petty reasons. If the monks in Thailand only want a red leather lounge, thats fine with me. Edited by krisb