Outdated Curriculum Needs To Focus On Skills: Thailand

webfact

'Outdated curriculum needs to focus on skills'

WANNAPA KHAOPA

THE NATION

30199982-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Our national curriculum is out of touch with the modern world and is failing to equip students with the skills demanded by the fast-changing 21st-century job market, a researcher has told Education Ministry officials.

"The curriculum has no clear statement of the importance of skills in its vision and principles, and focuses on predetermined values rather than learning processes and skills," said Thailand Development Research Institute (TDRI)'s Worapoj Wongkitrungruang. He was presenting his preliminary findings of an "Analysis of the Basic Education Core Curriculum and Reform in Line with 21st Century Skills" earlier this week at a Unesco-TDRI seminar. The seminar was attended by Education Ministry officials who are currently working on revamping the basic-education curriculum.

"The goals of the curriculum do not mention interdisciplinary 21st-century themes in the content design. The acquisition of necessary skills is mentioned, but their importance is relegated in favour of other goals focused on pre-determined values," said Worapoj.

"At school, as well as local and national assessment levels, there is no stipulation of [performance-based] assessments that would support the measurement of 21st century skills."

Worapoj said his research showed that the curriculum's over-prescribed, content-oriented indicators at every grade-level made it difficult for teachers to understand "what to teach", "how to teach" and "how to assess" students' progress. It also denied schools the autonomy to design their own curricula, gave teachers no time for student-centred teaching techniques, diverted teacher's attention from teaching skills because they are not measured, and made it difficult for schools to organise interdisciplinary or experience-based curricula.

The curriculum also indicated eight learning areas without mentioning alternative ways of organising learning, such as cross-curricular projects and experiences," said Worapoj.

Although, the curriculum indicated five key competencies - communication capacity, thinking capacity, problem-solving capacity, capacity for applying life skills, and capacity for technological application - these were not as comprehensive as the P21 Framework (the Partnership for 21st Century Skills) used in America. Moreover, the Thai curriculum contained no statement about the importance of integrating skills development in teaching, said Worapoj.

He urged a switch to assessment methods that measure skills and knowledge application, such as performance-based assessment at classroom level, and literacy-based assessment (at the national level), and recommended that curriculum indicators be redesigned to measure skills and knowledge application.

He added that the list of skills for students to master should be made more comprehensive, and reorganised to make it easier for educators to understand. Stressing the importance of the key competencies, he said they should be integrated into every element of curriculum design, along with cross-curricular, experience-based and outcome-based learning that focused on skills required for working and living in the 21st century.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-14

I spoke to a young lady just this morning. She's 21 and has just completed a 4 year University Degree (obtained with Honors) for English International Communications. I had the entire conversation with her in Thai because she couldn't speak more than 10 words in English. Amazing Thailand - The Hub of Education.

Oh dear!

• Like 1

I spoke to a young lady just this morning. She's 21 and has just completed a 4 year University Degree (obtained with Honors) for English International Communications. I had the entire conversation with her in Thai because she couldn't speak more than 10 words in English. Amazing Thailand - The Hub of Education.

Oh dear!

My son is 8 and goes to school 65km away daily. The school has an English language program.

It is rare for me to talk to him other than in English and my wife only speaks Thai to him.

There are many ocaissions when I have spoken to his friends and quite often he will translate both ways.

I can understand however that it IS possible to take a 4 year University Degree (obtained with Honors) for English International Communications and still not speak the language for TiT.

I also understand that if she applies for a job using the degree she may get laughed out of the door.

Change the curriculum? Jezz they could leave the curriculum intact if only they changed the administration.

0) Allow students to be expelled (the parents would be pissed, they need the school babysitter)

1) Teachers allowed to fail students

2) Students punished for arriving late to class

3) Students punished for disrupting class

4) Full hour classes

5) Allow 10 minutes for students to get between classes

6) A grading policy that is based on more than 100 points for a semester

7) Eliminate the silly policy of aligning grades between classes, 30 M1 classes shouldn't all be within 5 points of each other

8) Eliminate the 40 minutes of indoctrination that takes place every morning

9) Stop grouping all the stupid kids together and all the smart kids together

wow.. they do number 9 at your school... mine has dumb and clever in the same class.. i would actually prefer if they graded the students better it would make lessons run smoother. But everything else.. spot on.

Can i add

10) add special needs classes to main stream schools.. many school areas need it.

whistling.gif Just my personal opinion but:

The cirriculum in Thai schools is a hangover from the old style of eduating Thai students to be compliant and obedient subservient workers to rhe high-so moneied classes ... good little obedient workers who were taught to NOT think to much.

To have them think to much would have disrupted the class system and have caused problems for the bosses.

Unfortunately it's still that way and is regarded as normal in Thailand.

Only when that old custom is abolished, and students are taught to ask WHY the answers are correct, not merely the correct answers, can Thailand compete with such economies as those in Singapore, Vietnam, and Korea.

Because those countries have a new tradition of asking WHY not the old tradition of merely repeating the "correct" answers.

But in Thailand, teaching students to ask "why" and not merely parroting the correct answers might cause problems in Thailand with the entrenched status quo and the elite moneied class privaledges.

Therefore the elite monied class and the Politicians who live off their patronage and support that system, don't want a Thai education system that teaches thinking and asking why.

Until they do start teaching Thai students to ask why. and not simply to parrott answers, Thailand will keep falling behind other neighboring Asian countries and their innovation based economies.

But I don't see this happening in Thailand soon.

To many entrenched special interests in Thailand.

whistling.gif

• Like 1

whistling.gif Just my personal opinion but:

The cirriculum in Thai schools is a hangover from the old style of eduating Tgai students to be complient and obedient subservient workers to rhe high-so moneied classes ... good little obedient workers who were taught to NOT think to much.

To have them think to much would have disrupted the class system and have caused problems for the bosses.

Unfortuneately it's still that way and is regarded as normal in Thailand.

Only when that old custom is abolished, and students are taught to ask WHY the answers are correct, not merely the correct answers, can Thailand compete with such economies as those in Singapore, Vietnam, and Korea.

Because those countries have a new tradition of asking WHY not the old tradition of merely repeating the "correct" answers.

But in Thailand, teaching students to ask "why" and not merely parroting the correct answers might cause problems in Thailand with the entrenched status quo and the elite moneied class privaledges.

Therefore the elite monied class and the Politicians who live off their patronage and support that system, don't want a Thai education system that teaches thinking and asking why.

Until they do start teaching Thai students to ask why. and not simply to parrott answers, Thailand will keep falling behind other neighboring Asian countries and their innovation based economies.

But I don't see this happening in Thailand soon.

To many entrenched special interests in Thailand.

whistling.gif

Students asking 'why' to their teachers would just show that these teachers really don't understand the material they teacher and don't know much outside of the curriculum/textbook. These teachers where never taught how to ask 'why' so there is not much hope they will ever be able to teach it. At least with foreign teachers in some classes, students can be taught these skills, as well as learning the english language.

• Like 1

Oh dear!

My son is 8 and goes to school 65km away daily. The school has an English language program.

It is rare for me to talk to him other than in English and my wife only speaks Thai to him.

There are many ocaissions when I have spoken to his friends and quite often he will translate both ways.

I can understand however that it IS possible to take a 4 year University Degree (obtained with Honors) for English International Communications and still not speak the language for TiT.

I also understand that if she applies for a job using the degree she may get laughed out of the door.

Not if she applies to a Thai company she won't.

• Like 1

Good one, Tanaka.

Change the curriculum? Jezz they could leave the curriculum intact if only they changed the administration.

0) Allow students to be expelled (the parents would be pissed, they need the school babysitter)

4) Full hour classes

7) Eliminate the silly policy of aligning grades between classes, 30 M1 classes shouldn't all be within 5 points of each other

May I add number 10?

10) Thai teachers are not allowed to teach paid after-school-classes to their own students.

Edited by aidenai
  • Like 2

Good one, Tanaka.

4) Full hour classes

May I add number 10?

10) Thai teachers are not allowed to teach paid after-school-classes to their own students.

My understanding is that they are not supposed to do that (not sure if that is stipulated by the MoE), but of course it's very common.

All of the problems listed above by posters are valid, but the main problem is how do you change a system being run by admin and teachers who are products of this same dysfunctional system ??? I always have believed in the concept of hope and change but here in thailand they do not exist.

As you are no doubt aware, it is called 'streaming'. There are argument for and against it.

I'm always reluctant to classify kids as 'stupid'. They are generally a product of poorly educated parents and social/economic circumstances. Surely it is up to teachers to try to change their students circumstances through education?

I personally prefer streamed classes. I have seen far too many teachers in non-selective classes, concentrate solely on the above average ability students and ignore (or at least only half-heartedly attempt) the lower ability s's. And yes, I am fully aware of the arguments for 'peer share' etc. etc.

As for the higher ability students being streamed...........this is not unusual in the West. There.....they often refer to these classes as 'Gifted & Talented' programs.

Edited by Phatcharanan

As you are no doubt aware, it is called 'streaming'. There are argument for and against it.

I'm always reluctant to classify kids as 'stupid'. They are generally a product of poorly educated parents and social/economic circumstances. Surely it is up to teachers to try to change their students circumstances through education?

I personally prefer streamed classes. I have seen far too many teachers in non-selective classes, concentrate solely on the above average ability students and ignore (or at least only half-heartedly attempt) the lower ability s's. And yes, I am fully aware of the arguments for 'peer share' etc. etc.

As for the higher ability students being streamed...........this is not unusual in the West. There.....they often refer to these classes as 'Gifted & Talented' programs.

Yes, there are old arguments for "streaming", but my issue with "streaming" is that at lower ability levels the students have a much greater likelihood of having very short attention spans and behavioral problems. My choice of stupid was just hasty writing, they are not stupid, but as you pointed out it is a problem with parenting.

Rich or poor, you can still be a bad parent, but it definitely helps being affluent. If you're rich and a bad parent you can still pay for your children to go to good schools and have tutors and the like. If you're poor and a bad parent your kid has little chance to climb out of the pit you dug.

Good one, Tanaka.

4) Full hour classes

May I add number 10?

May I add number 11 and 12?

11) Thai teachers are not allowed to beat the shit out of kids with bamboo sticks and other "weapons", necessary for a Thai teacher.

12) Students should be able to criticize their teachers, especially when they teach them that the world is flat....wai2.gif

• Like 1

Good one, Tanaka.

4) Full hour classes

May I add number 10?

11) Thai teachers are not allowed to beat the shit out of kids with bamboo sticks and other "weapons", necessary for a Thai teacher.

12) Students should be able to criticize their teachers, especially when they teach them that the world is flat....wai2.gif

Good one, Tanaka.

4) Full hour classes

May I add number 10?

13) Directors and ordinary teachers are not allowed to rape their students anymore. Those who're doing that will be sent to Siberia for twenty years.

14) Those Thai English teachers who don't say the last syllabus of a word have to start at Kindergarten again..and so on..w00t.gif