Always Possible To Remove Internal Walls In A Condo?

JomtienEats

Just wondering what sort of problems I might run into if renovating a condo and I want to remove some of the internal walls to make a more open space. The columns are pretty obvious, but some of the walls look fairly solid. I wouldn't try to remove them myself, but wondering if it sometimes is just impossible to remove internal walls in a condo, either for structural or condo management reasons?

You will need to seek approval from the Condo office first.

But provided the Condo is built with columns and beams (as opposed to pre-fab load bearing walls) then you should be able to knock out any wall.

The brick walls look a lot more solid than they actually are. Take an angle-grinder and cut deep lines at the edge of the wall (so that you get a nice break) then go to town on the wall with a sledge hammer.

Obviously make sure there are no pipes or wires running through the wall first.

Edited by dave111223

This sort of advice you do not want to get of the internet !

Double check with your condo office, if the walls carry any

weight or not.

My guess is not (never seen it in Thailand), but wouldn't bet

my condo on my guess ! Double and triple check ! If you are

wrong, the consequences can be dramatic !

cheers,

luudee

The problem is, think about it, the condo office is just going to say no. Why would they want the headache? Last time I went to the office, they said no to something and I just did it anyway. No problems since. It wasn't big like taking out a wall, but they just say no to everything. If you want to drill a hole in the wall they may say no, seriously. So, I don't know what the solution is, i'll be curious to find out if it does appear here.

Get a structural engineer who certifies which are load-bearing walls and which are not. Get a professional firm that removes the non-load-bearing walls, without causing any nuisance to your neighbours, trying to minimise as much as possible any inconvenience to them.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies - sounds like I might have more trouble with the condo office than the ceiling falling down on top of me! I was looking at a shell structure for a condo under construction today - the concrete columns look sturdy, but the internal walls look like what I would swear is just rubble.

The problem is, think about it, the condo office is just going to say no. Why would they want the headache? Last time I went to the office, they said no to something and I just did it anyway. No problems since. It wasn't big like taking out a wall, but they just say no to everything. If you want to drill a hole in the wall they may say no, seriously.

That's a bit scary - the office manager doesn't seem too eager to discuss plans with me as I'm not an owner yet. But what sort of scope might the condo office have to deny permission to make adjustments inside the units?

Thanks for the replies - sounds like I might have more trouble with the condo office than the ceiling falling down on top of me! I was looking at a shell structure for a condo under construction today - the concrete columns look sturdy, but the internal walls look like what I would swear is just rubble.

The problem is, think about it, the condo office is just going to say no. Why would they want the headache? Last time I went to the office, they said no to something and I just did it anyway. No problems since. It wasn't big like taking out a wall, but they just say no to everything. If you want to drill a hole in the wall they may say no, seriously.

That's a bit scary - the office manager doesn't seem too eager to discuss plans with me as I'm not an owner yet. But what sort of scope might the condo office have to deny permission to make adjustments inside the units?

It is a good question. I don't know their actual rights, i'd look in a contract if possible. But they love to deny everything, if they can or not they will do it. My MO now is I don't ask them permission for anything. Good luck.

• Like 1

Get a structural engineer who certifies which are load-bearing walls and which are not. Get a professional firm that removes the non-load-bearing walls, without causing any nuisance to your neighbours, trying to minimise as much as possible any inconvenience to them.

A funny one ! Love the words "engineer" (2 years at univ in thailand or maybe technical school ?) and "professional" (still haven't found any after so many years).

Take a steel hammer and hit the wall. If the wall is under pressure in other words it is carrying a load it will give a high sound and you feel a 'ringing' on your hammer. If it is a dull sound you have just hit an internal wall that can be removed.

Edited by Khun Jean
  • Like 1

Take a steel hammer and hit the wall. If the wall is under pressure in other words it is carrying a load it will give a high sound and you feel a 'ringing' on your hammer. If it is a dull sound you have just hit an internal wall that can be removed.

Thanks - just been tapping some walls and columns in my condo with a pliers I have handy - definitely getting a different sound and vibe from columns and walls.

• 2 weeks later...

Please listen to this advise,tapping the walls with a set of pliers to listen for a different sound is not going to give you the answer that you are looking for,Morakot has it right,and as another poster previously said,don't look for this advise on the internet,then go ahead with possible serious consequences,it a'int worth it.

Get professional advise..............and good luck.

A structural engineer educated in the west will first try to get the building plans and determine which walls are load bearing.

If those building plans are not available he will walk around with a hammer and hit the walls to hear which ones are load bearing. This will of course not work with the typical stick build homes common in the USA, in this case it is a condominium!

A structural engineer educated in Thailand will tell you all walls are not load bearing, and he will have a 99% success rate.

You only need to listen to experts advice when you lack the knowledge. Lawyers, plumbers, electricians etc..

In Thailand that is not advisable. :)

Better to do some research and get that knowledge. Internet is a great place to do just that.

Start knocking down walls and you're putting the lives and property of every person in that building at risk. Even if it's not load bearing, there may be electrical, water and gas lines you may not see until it's too late.

Do some of you guys really think you have the right to risk other people's lives?

Morakot had the best response. Get a structural engineer to review and approve your plans- and get it in writing. Get a second opinion in writing if you're not 100% confident in the ability of the first guy.

If nothing else, you'll have a defense in court when the building falls down. If you survive the collapse.

Edit: And technically, I doubt you own the walls. In a typical condominium, you own the space between the walls and the floor and the ceiling. You normally don't own the walls, the floor or the ceiling- just the space. I'm not sure that's true in Thailand, and not sure it applies to interior walls. But it sure would suck to get sued because you tore down a wall that doesn't belong to you... Get legal advice if you want to proceed without the condo management approval.

Edited by impulse