Thailand's Prostitution Image Is Embarrassing

webfact

Depends on how you define the word ---It's here everywhere in every nook and cranny,

If you get hitched up with whoever, you have a big price to pay IN GENERAL,,,So you meet a nice non bar girl, you buy her a house and a car to drive, is that normal ??? or is it another form of.

In Euope then you meet a girlfriend and buy her a car and a house Near NEVER, so what is it here ???---nicer girls--NO small and attractive in general/appealing YES. But you are paying heavy for it and most know that, with a few exceptions, Suppose in England a 70 year old with a 19 year old girl IS embarassing,

Here I still think it is but it is done on a big scale so there are safety in numbers as they say so you can get lost in the crowd

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sick and tied about hearing about expats that claim they came to Thailand to drink the Fresh Water. How knows what someone did or did not do

My wife was not Bar Girl or Etc.

She was a paid killer is that better?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

On this thread the subject of whether prostitution is (or should be) embarrassing

or not has been argued endlessly and to great extreme. However, it may be more

instructive to ignore the raw conjecture and look at some real world figures.

Looking at the 10 countries with the highest number of sex workers per 10,000

adult female population, we can compare these data with Thailand and ask the

question "Are those countries embarrassed?"

(Figures: humber of sex workers per 10,000 adult female population)

Statistic -- Germany has 9% more sex workers than Thailand.

Question -- Is Germany embarrassed?

Statistic -- Malaysia has 15% more sex worker than Thailand.

Question -- Is Malaysia embarrassed?

Statistic -- Brazil has 17% more sex workers than Thailand.

Question -- Is Brazil embarrassed?

Statistic -- China has 33% more sex workers than Thailand.

Question -- Is China Embarrassed?

Statistic -- Latvia has 51% more sex workers than Thailand.

Question -- Is Latvia embarrassed?

Statistic -- Philippines has 90% more sex workers than Thailand.

Question -- Is the Philippines embarrassed?

Statistic -- Luxembourg has 123% more sex workers than Thailand.

Question -- Is Luxembourg embarrassed?

Statistic -- Peru has 128% more sex workers than Thailand.

Question -- Is Peru embarrassed?

Statistic -- S. Korea has 146% more sex workers than Thailand.

Question -- Is South Korea embarrassed?

Statistic -- Venezuela has 166% more sex workers than Thailand.

Question -- Is Venezuela embarrassed?

Seems that a lot of folks have plenty of reason to be embarrassed.

Maybe it depends on whether folks are easily embarrassed or not. sick.gif

Source: www.targetmap.com/viewer.aspx?reportId=10544

I truly hope that isn't the best (or only) source you've got.

You and I have been through this before and you had the good sense then to bail out of your attempt to deflect any possible criticism of Thailand and direct it toward the evil Westerners (which is ironic given that I don't see the prevalence of prostitution per se to be anything to necessarily be ashamed of)...

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

I truly hope that isn't the best (or only) source you've got.

You and I have been through this before and you had the good sense then to bail out of your attempt to deflect any possible criticism of Thailand and direct it toward the evil Westerners (which is ironic given that I don't see the prevalence of prostitution per se to be anything to necessarily be ashamed of)...

SJ What wrong with the data from you view?

I see a few things

1) data of the sex workers are taken over several decades. a few years is ok, but decades?blink.png come on. Still you can make a good first order magnitude comparisons by only comparing data within a decade or 5 years. I dont have the desire to do that lolbiggrin.png

2) population data is taken from several years, much better than the sex workers but still could lend bias to the data. but the data is within a few years so the population data is probably ok

3) the data is defined as for "sex workers". could include girls working in topless bars, bikini bars, lingerie restaurants. hooters (and similar) restaurants, hostess bars, ect. the term needs to be more specified. I believe the data to be skewed (with this definition) in some countries to enhance the numbers, just my guess.

Still the numbers are interesting.

Points of view:

1. Bar girls----- This money is great, I am going to go buy a new Iphone 5 !! These farangs are so easy to control!!

2. Punters----- Love this cheap pussy !! I am coming here on my next vacation....

3. Police----- Shaking down these prostitute bars for money is like shooting fish in a barrel!!

4. Government------ Thank Buddha all these wacky farangs support the Isan farm girls, otherwise we would have to.

5. Punters in Pattaya------ Man this is like living in paradise, wonder who I should boink today....

6. Upcountry punters with wives from a bar------ I am sick of these farangs coming to Pattaya and taking advantage of these poor girls...

7. NGOs------ Let's go rescue a few more bar girls so our donation money can keep rolling in. I need another SUV.

8. Thai guys-----We have a good thing going with endless cheap girls for us to boink, hope the farangs do not mess it up..

I have no complaints about the service, and as long as The government has no real plan for Thailand to stop being a cheap labour / cheap export country, the wages of sin will be relatively high.

Points of view:

1. Bar girls----- This money is great, I am going to go buy a new Iphone 5 !! These farangs are so easy to control!!

2. Punters----- Love this cheap pussy !! I am coming here on my next vacation....

3. Police----- Shaking down these prostitute bars for money is like shooting fish in a barrel!!

4. Government------ Thank Buddha all these wacky farangs support the Isan farm girls, otherwise we would have to.

5. Punters in Pattaya------ Man this is like living in paradise, wonder who I should boink today....

6. Upcountry punters with wives from a bar------ I am sick of these farangs coming to Pattaya and taking advantage of these poor girls...

7. NGOs------ Let's go rescue a few more bar girls so our donation money can keep rolling in. I need another SUV.

8. Thai guys-----We have a good thing going with endless cheap girls for us to boink, hope the farangs do not mess it up..

One correction required:

8. Thai guys-----Thank Buddha all these wacky farangs support my GF/ wife, otherwise I'd have no money for Sangsom.

Points of view:

One correction required:

8. Thai guys-----Thank Buddha all these wacky farangs support my GF/ wife, otherwise I'd have no money for Sangsom.

Hahaha yes of course I know that. But I did not want to break forum rules by appearing overly critical of an ethnic group... :-)
  • Like 1

TBL, in my experience, the 'expats' who cry the loudest about 'prostitution' in Thailand are those who have filled their boots already, married a bargirl, and suddenly think they're a pillar of society.

Look at all of those ridiculous imbeciles playing at 'Rotarians' in Pattaya for evidence of this.

What a load of rubbish, I am married to a Thai and not an exbargirl that is for sure. I have never been with a prostitute and certainly would not touch one or definately not marry one. So you see we don't all fit your stereotype. Expats are tarnished with the sex industry brush just as all the clean good living females of Thailand. The sex industry is for a specific circle of thai girls and the expats that they attract just like drug dealers attract a certain customer so do prostitutes. It is a sleaze circle just as drugs are a criminal circle. Some expats have fallen on hard times where thier only hope is with a prostitute.

Do you "support" her financially in any way, or does she contribute 50% of the household requirements like a farang woman back home would? If the former........................................ Edited by thaibeachlovers

TBL, in my experience, the 'expats' who cry the loudest about 'prostitution' in Thailand are those who have filled their boots already, married a bargirl, and suddenly think they're a pillar of society.

Look at all of those ridiculous imbeciles playing at 'Rotarians' in Pattaya for evidence of this.

What a load of rubbish, I am married to a Thai and not an exbargirl that is for sure. I have never been with a prostitute and certainly would not touch one or definately not marry one. So you see we don't all fit your stereotype. Expats are tarnished with the sex industry brush just as all the clean good living females of Thailand. The sex industry is for a specific circle of thai girls and the expats that they attract just like drug dealers attract a certain customer so do prostitutes. It is a sleaze circle just as drugs are a criminal circle. Some expats have fallen on hard times where thier only hope is with a prostitute.

Do you "support" her financially in any way, or does she contribute 50% of the household requirements like a farang woman back home would? If the former........................................

Most guys marry Thai women because they are not like "farang women back home"!

• Like 1

Do you "support" her financially in any way, or does she contribute 50% of the household requirements like a farang woman back home would? If the former........................................

she probably contributes more than 50% She recieves more than I do from her rental properties in Melbourne Australia alone. I have never given her or her family a cent and she has never asked, we do however contribute to our joint bank account in Melbourne and to the sons bank account. (Also maintain our own accounts) Generally we just live as husbabnd and wife as you would in the west. Sometimes she pays the bills and sometimes I do and we never really look at in any other way.

she probably contributes more than 50% She recieves more than I do from her rental properties in Melbourne Australia alone. I have never given her or her family a cent and she has never asked, we do however contribute to our joint bank account in Melbourne and to the sons bank account. (Also maintain our own accounts) Generally we just live as husbabnd and wife as you would in the west. Sometimes she pays the bills and sometimes I do and we never really look at in any other way.

Sounds as though you are one of the miniscule number of farangs that has a "normal western style marriage". Good on yasmile.png

Maybe it is an embarrasing image for some Thais that dont have anything to do with that huge business.

I remember this Swiss old joke that once translated says something like that : "You cannot have the butter, and the money for buy the butter."

The huge income prostitution brings to Thailand is very underestimated by the stats, if you count also the pletoria of farangs that once back to their Countries continue sending money by westrn union to the women here,,,,, and those who marry prostitutes and spend millions in bjying houses cars etc.etc to their wives, we are well beyond any stat.

Then as money rules the Country, a little bit shame is nothing compared to the pfofit of that image of prostitution.

No, the article is not badly researched.

It is exactly what it should be.

"Prostitution is embarrassing for Thailand"...and I just discovered it exists, because all prostitutes tell me "I no prostitute- I work bar!

It is all the farangs fault - wich it is with everything...and if it is not the farang, it is an evil spirit!

Nothing else is embarrassing to Thailand, neither is anything else a problem. Corruption is widely accepted, vote- buying and election fraud is basically done by every candidate of every party, our fake history -that only we believe- and our xenophobic behaviour, the fact that we present our ethnic- minorities proudly to the tourists...and despise them in everyday live, the fact, that we think our dirty beaches and national- parks full of garbage can cater to hi- end tourists, our constant lies to and from everybody and about everything.....

This article is very well done, indeed! coffee1.gif

It's always interesting reading threads such as this one where we have so many different opinions and attitudes.

Quite simply some men marry a woman their own age and society level in their own country and have a happy life.

Some men do the same and have a life of misery ending in a messy divorce.

Many men come to Thailand and meet a Thai woman, she may be a nurse, a bar girl, have her own shop, be the daughter of a millionaire or mix somtam in the market..

Regardless of whether she is a prostitute or a professional golfer, she is human and some humans are very good and some are very bad.

I don't buy this crap that "I married a good girl, she never worked in a bar".

Many farang + bar girl relationships end up in grief, but an equal number are highly successful and I am sure there are many on this board who can bear witness to that fact.

It's just a matter of knowing who you are involved with and thinking with the head that's on your shoulders, not the other one..

Marrying a woman 30 years your junior 3 months after you met in Pattaya has its risks I think most would agree. But its been done and worked. IMHOsmile.png

• Like 1

You don't have to see or engage in prostitution if you don't want to. However, as a tourist here you are forced to be subjected to endless scams, double pricing, and possible violence for now paying the amount the scam you for. I'd say that is much worse than a bunch of girls selling their body, who I may add are mostly selling to Thai men. One study I read said 97% - 98% of all the prostitution in Thailand is for Thais, not foreigners. Wrap your noddle around that. And if you've ever done any cross country trips and paid attention, the amount of small brothels around the country is staggering.

• Like 2

You don't have to see or engage in prostitution if you don't want to. However, as a tourist here you are forced to be subjected to endless scams, double pricing, and possible violence for now paying the amount the scam you for. I'd say that is much worse than a bunch of girls selling their body, who I may add are mostly selling to Thai men. One study I read said 97% - 98% of all the prostitution in Thailand is for Thais, not foreigners. Wrap your noddle around that. And if you've ever done any cross country trips and paid attention, the amount of small brothels around the country is staggering.

Good post as sssoooo many think that all are sex pats are decrepid old fat smelly beer swilling stupidly dressed,and near all live in Pattaya, SOME are, but most are great guys and enjoy this top of the range corrupt Land,, Never mind if they slag it off plenty, they pay for that privy. It's choices isn't it ????? rented house or bought--rented car or bought rented sex or married. Not a lot of winners really, but if you can enjoy it, good on you posters.

• Like 2

It's always interesting reading threads such as this one where we have so many different opinions and attitudes.

Quite simply some men marry a woman their own age and society level in their own country and have a happy life.

Many men come to Thailand and meet a Thai woman, she may be a nurse, a bar girl, have her own shop, be the daughter of a millionaire or mix somtam in the market..

Regardless of whether she is a prostitute or a professional golfer, she is human and some humans are very good and some are very bad.

Many farang + bar girl relationships end up in grief, but an equal number are highly successful and I am sure there are many on this board who can bear witness to that fact.

It's just a matter of knowing who you are involved with and thinking with the head that's on your shoulders, not the other one..

Marrying a woman 30 years your junior 3 months after you met in Pattaya has its risks I think most would agree. But its been done and worked. IMHOsmile.png

If you think it's crap that a person says that his wife never worked in a bar or was a prostitute then that is up to you but you should keep your thoughts on these lines to yourself. It is insulting to some to have thier wife called a whore or a slut, not all our wives are the same/ The mother of my child is not a prostitute nor ever has been.

If you think it's crap that a person says that his wife never worked in a bar or was a prostitute then that is up to you but you should keep your thoughts on these lines to yourself. It is insulting to some to have thier wife called a whore or a slut, not all our wives are the same/ The mother of my child is not a prostitute nor ever has been.

I apologize for touching a nerve. And I am pleased for your wife.

• Like 1

Marrying a woman 30 years your junior 3 months after you met in Pattaya has its risks I think most would agree. But its been done and worked. IMHO:)

In all my years here, I cannot recall ever hearing a farang proudly boast his wife was a former bar girl....Yet there must be a few. Restaurant is what I normally hear as a former work place. But what a Thai wife did or did not do in a former life is irrelevant. People can think whatever they want, however actually calling someone's wife a slut is an invitation to a beat down. But I am fairly certain if you are 60 years old and come back to your home country with a red hot 25 year old Thai girl, there will be more than one person thinking she has a shady past. And sadly , THAT is a function of Thailand reputation as the whorehouse to the world..

But I am fairly certain if you are 60 years old and come back to your home country with a red hot 25 year old Thai girl, there will be more than one person thinking she has a shady past. And sadly , THAT is a function of Thailand reputation as the whorehouse to the world..

What's really sad is I am fairly certain if you are ANY age and come back to your home country with a red hot 25 year old Thai girl OR an ordinary looking Thai woman of any age, there will be more than one person thinking she has a shady past. Worse? Even if you stay in Thailand, that will still be the case (though thankfully nowhere near the extent to which it once was).

As I have said on this forum before, in some of it's forms, I don't see prostitution as inherently evil or necessarily something for Thais to be as ashamed as many might think they should be ( with the VERY significant and absolute exception of cases of coercion or worse) but as a husband of a Thai woman of a character that I deeply admire and respect and as a man who has known some Thai women who are among the finest people I've ever met, this prejudice is something I hate - and no doubt would if I were Thai.

I was raised in the UK in the 1950's - 60's. And any white woman who had a relationship with a man who was not white was regarded as a slut. Asia is going through immense change, and Thai/Cambodian/Vietnamese/Laotian women who, in the past, saw an opportunity to make a better life for themselves through (hopefully) meeting someone to 'rescue' them from the oldest profession are no different from others in western countries in the past. Remember the WW2 complaint from many English guys about their American brothers? 'Overpaid, oversexed and over here'! And there were plenty of English women who saw the chance of a better life in America after the war.

Every culture has to try to free itself from its own oppression, eventually. It often isn't easy to hear the truth, the reality of life in one's own country. Every citizen of every nation has to face (or not) the notion that there is the accepted view, and there is real life. The accepted view makes us feel safe, offers some sense of being OK as a people. The reality can make us feel guilty for not being prepared to stand up and demand change. The human condition is still a delicate one. Selective sight is not just the domain of emerging Asian nations.

DIG

But I am fairly certain if you are 60 years old and come back to your home country with a red hot 25 year old Thai girl, there will be more than one person thinking she has a shady past. And sadly , THAT is a function of Thailand reputation as the whorehouse to the world..

What's really sad is I am fairly certain if you are ANY age and come back to your home country with a red hot 25 year old Thai girl OR an ordinary looking Thai woman of any age, there will be more than one person thinking she has a shady past. Worse? Even if you stay in Thailand, that will still be the case (though thankfully nowhere near the extent to which it once was).

As I have said on this forum before, in some of it's forms, I don't see prostitution as inherently evil or necessarily something for Thais to be as ashamed as many might think they should be ( with the VERY significant and absolute exception of cases of coercion or worse) but as a husband of a Thai woman of a character that I deeply admire and respect and as a man who has known some Thai women who are among the finest people I've ever met, this prejudice is something I hate - and no doubt would if I were Thai.

It would just be nicer if Thailand didn't have the reputation it has currently.

Many Asian countries went through it. My best friend's dad's wife wouldn't walk with him on the street in Korea 40 years ago for fear of being spat on, for being perceived as a whore. Face it, Thailand is barely beyond 3rd world status in huge swathes of the country, and that is the truth.

I will never forget sitting at a party in Europe with my wife with the Senior Air Vice Marshall who was the supposed boss of Thai Airways for Greece, Cyprus and Turkey(not without noticing that Thai airways didn't fly to 2/3 of those destinations).

They were like ice, and we could barely see their eyes as they looked down upon us with their ingrained perceptions. The only people who can change the perception of Thailand are, the Thai's, and where there is money to be made, nothing changes. It is entirely Thailand's own cross to bear, and indirectly mine and my wife's.

She was a school teacher........so in my eyes, 20 times the calibre of character over a guy who got his postion on the coat tails of daddy's connections.

Edited by Thai at Heart

So these finest people on the planet, the ones that you admire and respect so much ,were they prostitutes ?

Prostitution is illegal apparently 555 and today I stumbled upon this beautifully shot YouTube advertisement for happy massage in Chiang Mai "Super Richy"

Wonder if the BIB will be round to close them down now this clear video proof of illegal services ?!?!?!