Lottery-Winning Couple Killed In Udon Thani Road Accident

webfact

Lottery-winning couple killed in road accident

Seksanti Kanlayanawisut

The Nation

Udon Thani

30200156-01_big.jpg

This Porsche, driven by a Laotian university student, collided with a couple on a motorcycle in Udon Thani on Thursday night, fatally injuring the pair. The couple made headlines last year when they won Bt42 million in lottery prize money.

newsjsUDON THANI: -- A couple who made headlines last year when they won Bt42 million died early yesterday of injuries sustained in a road accident on their way to a Valentine's Day celebration on Thursday night.

Sittichai Suwannalee, a Laotian student attending Assumption University, surrendered himself to police at the scene of the accident after his Porsche struck the couple's motorcycle in the border province of Udon Thani.

The 18-year-old student claimed the couple suddenly cut in front of him while his car was travelling at high speed and that he was unable to brake in time.

The young man said he had been in a hurry, as he planned to cross the Thai-Laotian border at Nong Khai before the checkpoint there closed.

Police later charged Sittichai with reckless driving causing death.

Nanta and Wimon Fakkhao sustained serious injuries in the accident, which took place shortly after 9pm on Thursday, and succumbed a few hours later at a hospital.

The couple made headlines last November when they were able to claim Bt42 million in prizes through winning lottery tickets that went unsold at their shop. They even appeared on a popular TV programme, "At Ten".

Nanta and Wimon had three sons.

"On Valentine's Day, they just told us that they wanted to have a granddaughter and to see all their three sons happily in love with their daughters in law," Nitikorn Fakkhao said of his parents.

According to Nitikorn, witnesses saw the Porsche drag the bodies of his parents for about 50 metres.

Wimon used to work as a court official. He joined the early-retirement programme a year ago and helped his wife run the lottery shop.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-16

• Like 1

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair credit to the driver that he didn't flee the scene. A tragic accident for all concerned. Will be interesting to see how this gets dealt with in comparison to MooHam, The Girl on they express way and latterly the oik from The Red Bull family.

• Like 2

How sad ...and so stupid .. how can you give such powerful car in such hands .... in a country where the Thai drivers are among the worse in the world , putting such machine in their hands is like to give a knife to jack the ripper. NO experience in driving at 18yo and he drives a Porsche. Very sad story indeed .

A sad loss of life, but full credit for the young man for not fleeing the scene, if his account of the couple pulling out in front of him and he not being able to avoid the accident is true, and it is hard to doubt with the way some people on motor scooters ride here, then it will be interesting to see how this plays out in comparrison to some other recent well publicised accidents.

• Like 1

Obviously another punk kid with money behind the wheel of a high powered car and knows not how to drive, use a road yes, but not to drive. So many of these people in Thailand. But if he can afford the Porsche he can afford the payoff. The sad reality is, the parents were on a motorbike after winning that amount of money, so were possibly still humble enough. But then the excuse of the driver - the bike swerved in front of him and he could not avoid it, is old lies and always told. Exact copy of Red Bull who is still free. Sad to lose two innocent people like this.

Looking at the pic in the OP and the area of damage, it looks very possible the motorcycle could have cut out in front of the car. Just because he was driving a Porsche, you make him guilty and totally at fault. I am sure your opinion would be different if this was a Aussi driving a pickup truck. Not sure if you drive here, but in my experience, drivers of motorcycles come out on to a roadway without even looking more times than not.

Will we ever know the truth. We will hear what the summing up will be, how they died but the exact way the incident occured is a different kettle of fish. This is always vague so loopholes can comeinto play. Porche are fast when driven fast, Lada's are fast if driven fast. it may have been a bit of both to blame. If you win the lottery SPEND IT QUICK, so sorry for the loved ones involved. Some mega impact if the damage was caused by the motor cycle. slow speed does not have this effect, only something like hitting a tree has this. Edited by ginjag

Obviously another punk kid with money behind the wheel of a high powered car and knows not how to drive, use a road yes, but not to drive. So many of these people in Thailand. But if he can afford the Porsche he can afford the payoff. The sad reality is, the parents were on a motorbike after winning that amount of money, so were possibly still humble enough. But then the excuse of the driver - the bike swerved in front of him and he could not avoid it, is old lies and always told. Exact copy of Red Bull who is still free. Sad to lose two innocent people like this.

So you witnessed the accident did you. Sounds like you just assume it's the student's fault because he's driving a Porsche. I've seen lots of motorbikes suddenly swerve in front of cars in Thailand. Unless you were there, you have no idea who's fault it was. So stop talking nonsense.

One of the reasons I am cautious now about driving after the daylight goes. The number of un-lit small bikes, no plates, licence tax etc piloted by drunk and uncaring people around my way is frightening. We all know who gets the honour of paying when one of these dick-heads gets in front of you without looking or indicating and gets flattened even if you're moving at only 40 KPH the pratt is going to get second prize and you will pay, their fault or not

Fair credit to the driver that he didn't flee the scene. A tragic accident for all concerned. Will be interesting to see how this gets dealt with in comparison to MooHam, The Girl on they express way and latterly the oik from The Red Bull family.

Maybe being from Laos he didn't understand the " rules " in Thailand although i would think legging it is the norm over there too. If he's at Assumption Uni in Bkk and was trying to catch the border crossing before it closed he could well have been low flying for hundreds of Ks, so an accident was just waiting to happen. Very sad situation

Looking at the pic in the OP and the area of damage, it looks very possible the motorcycle could have cut out in front of the car. Just because he was driving a Porsche, you make him guilty and totally at fault. I am sure your opinion would be different if this was a Aussi driving a pickup truck. Not sure if you drive here, but in my experience, drivers of motorcycles come out on to a roadway without even looking more times than not.

You have named the one species more irresponsible than kids in sports cars. The pick up driver. Thanks.

Well, let me say I tend to believe the kid. I have seen many times bikes coming onto the road without looking.

Of course with the little we know from the article and the picture, we can only speculate what happened or what the legal outcome will be.

For comparison sake I'd say back home the kid would be guilty of reckless driving for sure, I doubt he would get a 100% fault on the wrongful deaths of the couple. He would likely end up with 10,000 Euro fine and a suspended prison sentence of about 2 years, given he has no priors.

Here I'd say he gets a fine of 10,000 baht, 1 months suspended sentence and will have to compensate the family of the lovely couple.

All in all another tragic accident that surely could have been avoided if all would follow rules of the road just a bit.

Oh, finally that Porsche weighs more than 2 tons, so if he drives at higher speed, it would take some meters to stop, even after hitting the tiny bike.....

Another tragic and avoidable accident in Thailand...

Again more reason to get a dash cam. I've been lucky so far that I have not yet taken out a motorcycle cutting in front of me - Its not the skill of my driving which has so far averted an accident, I see it as simply fortune that those who have cut in front of me have been very lucky. A lot of people on the roads in Thailand are frequently very lucky when taking so many chances. There really is an almost total lack of the concept of consequence.

That's not to say this is what happened in this case, however 'Locationthaiand's' point was rather one sided and as always there may be a combination of factors not just a kid who may or may not be a punk.... but we now know who the over-opinionated poster is.

I wonder which high ranking communist party official he is the son of?

In the land of the Lao People's Revolutionary Party, a family does not amass the kind of money to buy an 18 year old a Porsche nor send a son to university in Thailand unless the family is wealthy and powerful.

I expect that this case may go away quickly.

• Like 1

By the look of the ding on the windscreen (head) and the Lao plates its probably left hand drive so he could be more used to driving on the left.

Anyway it would seem there were witnesses as it appears someone said the bodies were dragged.

Cars with the steering wheel on the left are mostly driven on the right, not always the bright side of the streets.

By the look of the ding on the windscreen (head) and the Lao plates its probably left hand drive so he could be more used to driving on the left.

Anyway it would seem there were witnesses as it appears someone said the bodies were dragged.

Perhaps you meant he could be more used to driving on the right?.

Since the accident occurred in Thailand he would have been driving on the left with a left hand drive vehicle.

I wonder which high ranking communist party official he is the son of?

In the land of the Lao People's Revolutionary Party, a family does not amass the kind of money to buy an 18 year old a Porsche nor send a son to university in Thailand unless the family is wealthy and powerful.

I expect that this case may go away quickly.

I will go away just as quickly as the case with the Thai punk, driving a simular Porsche, hitting a Laotian girl and driving another 10 km's with her torso in the passenger-seat. He got away with compensating her family with 200k baht. Going to be interesting to see, what the pricetag is on a Thai life ??

What absolute numpty buys their 18 year old student son a Porsche Cayenne..In a place with the most dangerous roads on the planet?

More money than sense.

Totally agreed, they should have sprung for a classic 911S, classier by far.

Edited by ratcatcher
  • Like 2