Lottery-Winning Couple Killed In Udon Thani Road Accident

webfact

Take out family wealth, you would have a 60+ or 70+ driving this car, wonder how the responses would read, with a 68 year old driving a Porsche, rather than a 18 year old... plenty of very old driving high powered cars about.. guess would not even make the headlines if Thai.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously another punk kid with money behind the wheel of a high powered car and knows not how to drive, use a road yes, but not to drive. So many of these people in Thailand. But if he can afford the Porsche he can afford the payoff. The sad reality is, the parents were on a motorbike after winning that amount of money, so were possibly still humble enough. But then the excuse of the driver - the bike swerved in front of him and he could not avoid it, is old lies and always told. Exact copy of Red Bull who is still free. Sad to lose two innocent people like this.

Another punk kid eh??? really? of course we never see motorcycles behaving erratically in Thailand do we you know the type no rear light etc, in fact they are some of the best drivers I have ever seen, what i cant understand is why so many of them die?? I wonder why that is???

You are absolutely right. Come look at the parking lot outside Don Chan Palace disco any given Friday night, and you will witness a ridiculous amount of the latest model souped up BMWs, Mercs, Audis, GTs, Hummers, Porsches, I have even seen a Lambo once. There is some serious money especially in Vientiane. Not necessarily politician offspring, but big business too.Never ceases to amaze me..VTE is a small town, it must have the most luxury cars per capita in all SE Asia

cities.

Didn't know 18 year olds in communist countries could afford Porsche's. He's almost certainly related to a politician then, be interesting to see how he gets away with this one, afterall the Thai general public will be disgusted and probably prejudiced against him.

• Like 1

Obviously another punk kid with money behind the wheel of a high powered car and knows not how to drive, use a road yes, but not to drive. So many of these people in Thailand. But if he can afford the Porsche he can afford the payoff. The sad reality is, the parents were on a motorbike after winning that amount of money, so were possibly still humble enough. But then the excuse of the driver - the bike swerved in front of him and he could not avoid it, is old lies and always told. Exact copy of Red Bull who is still free. Sad to lose two innocent people like this.

Well thats another case wrapped up, how do you do it Holmes?

Don't really see theres a need for a police force in Thailand as long as the good folk at TV can clear up stuff for them.

Yep and it's case closed because people never swerve infront of you on motorbikes in Thailand. Never. Well never until the next one does it every 2 minutes.

• Like 1

Looking at the pic in the OP and the area of damage, it looks very possible the motorcycle could have cut out in front of the car. Just because he was driving a Porsche, you make him guilty and totally at fault. I am sure your opinion would be different if this was a Aussi driving a pickup truck. Not sure if you drive here, but in my experience, drivers of motorcycles come out on to a roadway without even looking more times than not.

Tend to agree that the poor souls probably did what they all do, not look. sad.png

At least he didn't "flee."

The young man said he had been in a hurry, as he planned to cross the Thai-Laotian border at Nong Khai before the checkpoint there closed.

I think the reason he didn't flee is that he realized he was F#$%^ don't think he would have got across that boarder!

A lot of assumptions going on here. But I do live in fear of people pulling out in front of me and leaving me no time to respond. And I drive a simple pickup. Also people do drive even more recklessly in Laos than they do in Thailand (If you can believe it) so add a high speed sports car and an 18 year old Laos driver and you can see this accident was almost bound to occur. The fact it was likely a left hand drive car is just forcing the probability.

Edited by canuckamuck

Are you fortune teller also?coffee1.gif

Well thats another case wrapped up, how do you do it Holmes?

Don't really see theres a need for a police force in Thailand as long as the good folk at TV can clear up stuff for them.

Yep and it's case closed because people never swerve infront of you on motorbikes in Thailand. Never. Well never until the next one does it every 2 minutes.

You did meant within the next 2 secs, didn't you? ;)

• Like 1

Looking at the pic in the OP and the area of damage, it looks very possible the motorcycle could have cut out in front of the car. Just because he was driving a Porsche, you make him guilty and totally at fault. I am sure your opinion would be different if this was a Aussi driving a pickup truck. Not sure if you drive here, but in my experience, drivers of motorcycles come out on to a roadway without even looking more times than not.

+1

Tend to agree that the poor souls probably did what they all do, not look. sad.png

If the car was coming at them at +140 kph (just an assumption of speed based on the car and the drivers own admission), there's a good chance that in the darkness, even if they did look, they could have totally misjudged the distance from this fast approaching car or even missed it completely. I have driven these roads in darkness and generally motorcycle traffic (lit and unlit) tails off after 8pm and along with big trucks, is very sparse by midnight. However, there's always idiots hammering down the 'fast' lane near 100 mph at all hours and they aren't all Porche's with Lao plates either.

• Like 1

For the most part I agree with MEL1

He didn't do much wrong
accept, IMHO, speeding at night in a left hand drive vehicle in down town Udon is a recipe for disaster. One thing for sure most motor cyclists, in this neck of the woods, don't have any road sense.

You are absolutely right. Come look at the parking lot outside Don Chan Palace disco any given Friday night, and you will witness a ridiculous amount of the latest model souped up BMWs, Mercs, Audis, GTs, Hummers, Porsches, I have even seen a Lambo once. There is some serious money especially in Vientiane. Not necessarily politician offspring, but big business too.Never ceases to amaze me..VTE is a small town, it must have the most luxury cars per capita in all SE Asia

cities.

Didn't know 18 year olds in communist countries could afford Porsche's. He's almost certainly related to a politician then, be interesting to see how he gets away with this one, afterall the Thai general public will be disgusted and probably prejudiced against him.

Politics and business are inseparable in Laos (most of SE Asia) so no different to Thailand really, except for the much smaller population. The Vientiane elite may be tiny but very visible; some families are as rich as their Thai cousins, driving the fanciest vehicles too.

A lao student driving a Porsche?

RIP the couple hope you didnt suffer, crying shame they never got a chance to enjoy their winnings.

Yes RIP, but after winning 42 Million Baht, what are they doing riding a motorcycle?? Irregardless of who is at fault in any Vehicle/Moto accident, the Moto automatically loses........sorry, maybe tey will prosper in their next life.

"Politics and business are inseparable in Laos (most of SE Asia) so no different to Thailand really, except for the much smaller population. The Vientiane elite may be tiny but very visible; some families are as rich as their Thai cousins, driving the fanciest vehicles too".

If you are rich in Laos them the chances are somewhere in the family is or was a civil servant (a corrupt one), and the only winners in all this will be the Thai police, they will want a big pay off for this to go away, the kids family will have the funds (5m baht car), and the family of the deceased won't need the money, I can see the police rubbing their filthy hands together at the scene of the accident

His story is believable, motorbikes cut in front of vehicles on highways all the time - a few years ago I almost killed one just south of Mahasarakham when he came into the right lane only a few metres in front of me at low speed (I was doing 100). If I had tried to brake (as the Porsche driver did) I would've very likely killed the guy so I took my car into the right hard shoulder barely missing him.

• Like 1

I'm surprised the couple were still riding a bike after such a windfall.

Where is their Porsche?

I was thinking the same thing!!! Why would anyone who could afford a car ride a motorcycle in Thailand?? A place where the roads are full of idiots that don't know how to drive safely.

I'm surprised the couple were still riding a bike after such a windfall.

Where is their Porsche?

I was thinking the same thing!!! Why would anyone who could afford a car ride a motorcycle in Thailand?? A place where the roads are full of idiots that don't know how to drive safely.

Think you must understand that if these folk were poor villagers they would probably have never driven a car or want too.

Indeed - they pull out, THEN look...maybe.

He was in a hurry to cross the border before it closed, so was driving at speed. I do drive in this country with a little Honda, but the ars3 holes with their Mercs BMW etc think they own the road. So this little turd is guilty mee lord.