Lottery-Winning Couple Killed In Udon Thani Road Accident

webfact

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously another punk kid with money behind the wheel of a high powered car and knows not how to drive, use a road yes, but not to drive. So many of these people in Thailand. But if he can afford the Porsche he can afford the payoff. The sad reality is, the parents were on a motorbike after winning that amount of money, so were possibly still humble enough. But then the excuse of the driver - the bike swerved in front of him and he could not avoid it, is old lies and always told. Exact copy of Red Bull who is still free. Sad to lose two innocent people like this.

Looking at the pic in the OP and the area of damage, it looks very possible the motorcycle could have cut out in front of the car. Just because he was driving a Porsche, you make him guilty and totally at fault. I am sure your opinion would be different if this was a Aussi driving a pickup truck. Not sure if you drive here, but in my experience, drivers of motorcycles come out on to a roadway without even looking more times than not.

He's already admitted he was driving too fast! Nice to see you understand Aussie driving but sure as hell, the majority of Aussies would have missed him - comes from avoiding kangaroos, Volvo drivers (and Asians). I used to average 160,000 kms a year driving large rigs so I guess I am qualified to point a finger and judging by the damage to the Porsche, yes front quarter panel and all the way to the side door, that means frontal impact compression and not a side swipe. I stand by my opinion and it usually has two parties to contributing to the accident and they could well have drifted into a lane or been too far out or the kid simply misjudged. Speed was the catalyst. And yes I drive here and have done for many years, accident free.

My intention was not to piss on your post, it was obviously an emotional reaction, linked to the kid that killed the cop in his Ferrari and other stories of Hi So kids that get away with vehicular murder and your reaction would have been different if it was an Aussie or any other Farang behind the wheel.

If there were more details in the article and the witnesses had more to add showing the Porsche driver in the wrong, I most likely would have shared your opinion. The fact the the kid stopped and waited for police, admitted he was driving to fast, and my own experience driving here, this tells me this was an unfortunate accident with the motorcycle that came out on the roadway without looking, with fault being shared.

So far Both you and I have been fortunate enough, not to have been in this situation, YET! But the odds are not in our favor and there is only so much we can do to prevent it from happening.

If it does happen some day, I hope we dont have a rush to judgement and found guilty because we are Farangs.

• Like 2

Obviously another punk kid with money behind the wheel of a high powered car and knows not how to drive, use a road yes, but not to drive. So many of these people in Thailand. But if he can afford the Porsche he can afford the payoff. The sad reality is, the parents were on a motorbike after winning that amount of money, so were possibly still humble enough. But then the excuse of the driver - the bike swerved in front of him and he could not avoid it, is old lies and always told. Exact copy of Red Bull who is still free. Sad to lose two innocent people like this.

Looking at the pic in the OP and the area of damage, it looks very possible the motorcycle could have cut out in front of the car. Just because he was driving a Porsche, you make him guilty and totally at fault. I am sure your opinion would be different if this was a Aussi driving a pickup truck. Not sure if you drive here, but in my experience, drivers of motorcycles come out on to a roadway without even looking more times than not.

I used to average 160,000 kms a year driving large rigs so I guess I am qualified to point a finger and judging by the damage to the Porsche, yes front quarter panel and all the way to the side door, that means frontal impact compression and not a side swipe. I stand by my opinion and it usually has two parties to contributing to the accident and they could well have drifted into a lane or been too far out or the kid simply misjudged.

That is not frontal impact. It is quarter off-set, a crash requirement of NCAP and FMVSS, whereby those areas are supposed to crush and deform well - because that is where the majority of pedestrian hits are made.

-mel. (and yes, I am qualified to make that assertion!)

Note--first reaction from a Thai was that it was a wrathful spirit instead of bad driving.

Note- First reaction from your girfriend. There are a quite few more Thais out there who would beg to differ.

>they were able to claim Bt42 million in prizes through winning lottery tickets that went unsold at their shop.

Unsold lottery tickets???

No way in Europe you would be able to cash in whistling.gif

The couple were also in debt to the tune of 10 million baht when they made their big score of 42 million. There are a few unknowns as far as the public is concerned on how the lottery distribution, payout, pricing, alloted tickets, etc are really handled.

>they were able to claim Bt42 million in prizes through winning lottery tickets that went unsold at their shop.

Unsold lottery tickets???

No way in Europe you would be able to cash in whistling.gif

The couple were also in debt to the tune of 10 million baht when they made their big score of 42 million. There are a few unknowns as far as the public is concerned on how the lottery distribution, payout, pricing, alloted tickets, etc are really handled.

My GF's sister used to play the underground lottery. She won B70,000 and the people would not pay up. They paid her B20,000. That was the last time she played. What could she do go to the police as the underground lottery is illegal.

Kind of rushing to a conclusion based on the assumption that this is some spoiled rich kid. He admitted driving too fast. How may times have we seen motorcycles or cars just pull out without regard to how fast the oncoming car is traveling. Why not give a little time for the facts to come out before jumping to conclusions.

Why do people ask "Why not give a little time for the facts to come out before jumping to conclusions?", on Thaivisa?

Note--first reaction from a Thai was that it was a wrathful spirit instead of bad driving.

Note- First reaction from your girfriend. There are a quite few more Thais out there who would beg to differ.

Jing jing? Not just my GF, yo. Many many Thai people believe in this stuff. Not just the Isaan farmers either. Note: I ddn't say everyone.

"I am sure your opinion would be different if this was a Aussi driving a pickup truck."

Aussies don't drive pickup trucks, they drive utes

smile.png

Very true, never seen an Aussie driving a pickup, what an insult. This is a ute and not to be confused with a pickup.

Jing jing? Not just my GF, yo. Many many Thai people believe in this stuff. Not just the Isaan farmers either. Note: I ddn't say everyone.

JIng.

I am so fed up with Thai motorbikes cutting in front of me and having had one accident for which I was blamed nobody seriously hurt I went to pan tip them bought an in car video camera for 3000 bat which I use every time I am driving it comes on as soon as I turned the ignition on and goes off when I stop well worth the money suggests all frangs get one

tragic

RIP

What many owners of high-speed cars do not understand here, is that the carspeed also has to fit with the road, traffic and weather conditions.

These powerful cars are built for the German Autobahn and not for the village-ban-nok highways in Thailand.

I would say that there is no road in Thailand where you can safely drive over 120 km/h.

No guardrails, missing road markings, crazy U-turns where the overload Trucks have to turn with 30 km/h on the right speed lane, countless Holes in the roadways, Motobikes and even Cars driving on the wrong side against the traffic direction, whis drivers who ignore traffic lights and roads signs,Overtaking on the left, slower lane, ignorance of safety distances and braking distances, Bullock carts on the highway (with there on fishing lines attached CDs, as a reflections light system), unlit vehicles, Residents who dry their harvest on the highway track, unaware what a turn signal on the car is of, etc.

May 10 hours compulsory driving lessons would help to bring the death toll on Thailands Roads significant down..

Thailand: Drive safe = Drive slow!

Edited by tomacht8

tragic

RIP

What many owners of high-speed cars do not understand here, is that the carspeed also has to fit with the road, traffic and weather conditions.

These powerful cars are built for the German Autobahn and not for the village-ban-nok highways in Thailand.

I would say that there is no road in Thailand where you can safely drive over 120 km/h.

No guardrails, missing road markings, crazy U-turns where the overload Trucks have to turn with 30 km/h on the right speed lane, countless Holes in the roadways, Motobikes and even Cars driving on the wrong side against the traffic direction, whis drivers who ignore traffic lights and roads signs,Overtaking on the left, slower lane, ignorance of safety distances and braking distances, Bullock carts on the highway (with there on fishing lines attached CDs, as a reflections light system), unlit vehicles, Residents who dry their harvest on the highway track, unaware what a turn signal on the car is of, etc.

May 10 hours compulsory driving lessons would help to bring the death toll on Thailands Roads significant down..

So we've all got to buy a tuk tuk in your view. rolleyes.gif How daft a suggestion.

In UK l had a 700 hp ride that l used on the street in 30 mph areas, motorways were 70mph and guess what ?............Never killed anyone with it. thumbsup.gif

We are taught to look left look right look left again, etc, so we live another day and the main road user sees us at the junction. In LOS it is a F........ you mentality, l am pulling out, your problem, sadly this attitude has put zillions of folk in an early box. sad.png

tragic

RIP

So we've all got to buy a tuk tuk in your view. rolleyes.gif How daft a suggestion.

Ha Ha not a tuk tuk, But to say it in your language:

You can not drive on this f.....ing roads here, high speed!

tragic

RIP

So please post your opinion of my friend here in LOS that has an E Type Jaguar ? coffee1.gif

Has nothing to do with the car, it is the driver behind. So if you drive with a (high speed) car always to the limit,

unsuited to the traffic situation, especially on these unsafe roads here, then the driver is mentally unfit to lead such a vehicle.

Hopefully, easy to understand.

Furthermore, the Thai roads are generally not made ​​for high speed driving.

Edited by tomacht8

tragic

RIP

So please post your opinion of my friend here in LOS that has an E Type Jaguar ? coffee1.gif

The handling and the response of an E type makes it much more suited as a road car...It also looks great and he is either a poser or has class.

What absolute numpty buys their 18 year old student son a Porsche Cayenne..In a place with the most dangerous roads on the planet?

More money than sense.

Don't be daft. So you want his parents to buy him a click to get killed on. rolleyes.gif

Not the point I was making. Porsche Cayenne's are high powered and very expensive. You can buy about 3 Toyota Fortuners for the price of a Porsche. If that Cayenne was the Turbo, then it has about the same power as a fast sports car. Giving it to an 18 year old kid in Thailand, is like handing a knife to a toddler and not expecting an accident.

Again I ask the question, What absolute numpty buys their 18 year old student son a Porsche Cayenne?? In a place with (some) of the most dangerous roads on the planet. (Saudi is pretty bad too)

tragic

RIP

Driving slow on Sukhumvit road is the surest way to die. Keep ahead of the traffic - buy an R1. 120mph everywhere...all the time. thumbsup.gif

I am so fed up with Thai motorbikes cutting in front of me and having had one accident for which I was blamed nobody seriously hurt I went to pan tip them bought an in car video camera for 3000 bat which I use every time I am driving it comes on as soon as I turned the ignition on and goes off when I stop well worth the money suggests all frangs get one

Interesting.. Along with myself, I'm sure many others are interested in this...

So.... at risk of taking the thread briefly off-topic....

What Model did you get ?

Is the wiring hidden ? (i.e. fitted inside the trim?)

Does it work at night ?

Was it a DIY installation ?

What absolute numpty buys their 18 year old student son a Porsche Cayenne..In a place with the most dangerous roads on the planet?

More money than sense.

Don't be daft. So you want his parents to buy him a click to get killed on. rolleyes.gif

Not the point I was making. Porsche Cayenne's are high powered and very expensive. You can buy about 3 Toyota Fortuners for the price of a Porsche. If that Cayenne was the Turbo, then it has about the same power as a fast sports car. Giving it to an 18 year old kid in Thailand, is like handing a knife to a toddler and not expecting an accident.

Again I ask the question, What absolute numpty buys their 18 year old student son a Porsche Cayenne?? In a place with (some) of the most dangerous roads on the planet. (Saudi is pretty bad too)

Total rolox. If we all had your thoughts we would all be driving Allegros AND still killing each other in LOS. Get a grip man. rolleyes.gif

More money than sense.

Total rolox. If we all had your thoughts we would all be driving Allegros AND still killing each other in LOS. Get a grip man. rolleyes.gif

Eh? What drugs are you on.... man?

Don't you think a Porsche Cayenne for an 18 year old is a bit excessive?

Can you even still get EggRolls?

Edited by therealmrbrightside

No drugs man, but folk who have a stigma about age and their ride makes me vomit man. YOU think cos it has a Porsche badge in needs 300 kph to park it man laugh.png . Your a jealous click rider that does not know the facts to the incident. eer, man. rolleyes.gif

No drugs man, but folk who have a stigma about age and their ride makes me vomit man. YOU think cos it has a Porsche badge in needs 300 kph to park it man laugh.png . Your a jealous click rider that does not know the facts to the incident. eer, man. rolleyes.gif

TA is right. These days pretty much any car can drive at 150 kmh (not that we know the speed at the time of impact). So even if it was a pickup, the accident would still have been unavoidable.

If you think about it, the better the car, the better the brakes and handling. So when the unexpected does happen and a motorcycle darts out in front of you, if you are driving in a Porsche Cayenne your evasive action will be more effective than in a pick-up...

Because a powerful car can go fast does not mean it was being driven faster than any other average vehicle can..

I suspect the 'Porsche factor' bears no significance in this case other than to fuel the emotional responses of those looking to sensationalise their posts.

• Like 1

I have a stigma about Thai/Asian drivers. Not all young drivers.

Oh and I drive a Yamaha R1 for your info.

I had to read this story a second time to make sure I had understood it correctly the first time.

The couple who had won nearly a million quid - LAST YEAR - were driving the motorbike. And an 18 year old kid was driving the Porsche.

Had it been any couple with BRAINS, surely they would never have risked their lives on one of those comedy motorbikes AGAIN.

I would have been sitting over FOUR wheels the next day.

Perhaps not a Porsche - but if they had been in even a second-hand pickup, they would be alive today.

Madness.

• Like 2