You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

Ho Chi Minh City To Mekong Delta

careless

Rather then get a Thai Visa extension we were thinking of going to Vietnam for the final weeks of our trip. We would fly out of BKK and land in Ho Chi Minh City. That is the extent of where I know what to do. Where is a good beach and how do we get there at Mekong Delta. We are looking for budget on the beach nothing fancy. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also name of hotels bungalows if anyone has stayed there. Don't need fancy nightlife but close to a few shops and night markets or 7-elevens would be great.

thanks wai.gif

We are leaving Thailand close to the end of March

Closest beach to HCM is by hydrofoil to vung tau, a peninsular with ocean beaches on the eastern side.About two hours from HCM and the boys play beach cricket on thursdays!

Plenty of choice of delta trips, go to agents on phum no lou or whatever the tourist area is called.

• Like 1

Best beach closest to HCMC is Mui Ne. Plenty of packages tours of the Mekong delta from cheap to expensive, do a Google search for both or else travel by local transport - more fun

I didn't really care for Mui Ne at all. In fact, I was glad to leave. People complain about Russians in Thailand....Russians in Mui Ne are much much more plentiful.

I recommend Nha Trang. You can get there from HCMC by train or bus. Nha Trang has a much better beach, better night life (bars/people/food), and generally more to do.

• Like 1

Best beach closest to HCMC is Mui Ne. Plenty of packages tours of the Mekong delta from cheap to expensive, do a Google search for both or else travel by local transport - more fun

I didn't really care for Mui Ne at all. In fact, I was glad to leave. People complain about Russians in Thailand....Russians in Mui Ne are much much more plentiful.

I recommend Nha Trang. You can get there from HCMC by train or bus. Nha Trang has a much better beach, better night life (bars/people/food), and generally more to do.

have to agree Nha Trang is a better location, but long travel time from HCMC, unless going by air, which is inexpensive

• Like 1

As mentioned above, Vung Tau is a good option. Make sure you take the hydrofoil, It's quicker and much safer then by road. Nha Trang has nicer beached but it is a long dangerous drive.

If you go to Vung Tao by hydrofoil make sure you get a return ticket in HCMC as when you want to purchase in VT they are 'sold out' and only available at a premum from other terminal staff.

• Like 1

As mentioned above, Vung Tau is a good option. Make sure you take the hydrofoil, It's quicker and much safer then by road. Nha Trang has nicer beached but it is a long dangerous drive.

If you go to Vung Tao by hydrofoil make sure you get a return ticket in HCMC as when you want to purchase in VT they are 'sold out' and only available at a premum from other terminal staff.

Not sure how long we are going to stay in Vung tau. Is the return ticket open ended?

Not sure how long we are going to stay in Vung tau. Is the return ticket open ended?
I was thinking you'd be doing a day trip but if you're staying a few days you should have no problems getting a ticket in the mornings, it's the day trippers that want to get the last boat back that have the problems.

----------------

You don't purchase return tickets on he ferry from inside the terminal in Vung Tau.

There is a small kiosk selling the ferry tickets at the street entrance .... easy to tell because it has a poster of the ferry boat and a sign saying HCMC on it.

It's right at the street entrance to the terminal. I purchased mine from a Vietnamese girl who worked there and spoke good English. The price is a standard price. But yes, you can purchase return tickets in HCMC also if you wish.

Purchase your tickets a couple of days ahead of your intended trip .... there are half a dozen at least trips every day. Your ticket has a date and time on it of your departure.

Get to the ferry terminal an hour or so early and have some good Vietnamese coffee while you wait for them to post/call your departure time.

Vietnamese coffe, brewed right there on a rig on your cup, is really good and when served with a glass of sweetened and sugared milk you add yourself is really good and cheap.

Just drink your sweet coffe with milk and warch the locals until your ferry leaves.

Agree about Nha Trang and Vung Tau. Mui Ne is a big wind surfing and kite surfing location.

You can get loop tours to Delta which are 1, 2, or 3 days typically.

Also day trips to Chu Chi tunnels.

In my view the water puppet show is excellent (about 1 hour or less).

The central post office deigned by Eiffel is also worth a visit.

Lots to see and do in HCM ---- Saigon.