Websites Defaulting To Thai Versions

Gnasher328

While this can be usefull sometimes it is a PITA, especially when no English version is available. Whilst most global sites respond to a direct request in the address bar for xyz.co.uk, some insist on defaulting to the local version, the one which prompted this post being 'Skyscanner' when looking for a flight home. Luckily most of the other flight screenscrapers, Opodo, ebookers etc respond to the direct URL request.

In future is there any way to fool these sites where I am located? It was also a problem using Google 'Playstore' (yuk) to download an app when I just got told 'This is not available in your location'.

Regards, Tim.

In Windows: control panel: regional settings: location: select UK or US or whatever.

The Google playstore (like many other shopping/subscription sites) works via your actual location (gleaned from your IP address) rather than the Windows locations setting and so cannot be fooled in the same way. So just use a VPN.

In Windows: control panel: regional settings: location: select UK or US or whatever.

The Google playstore (like many other shopping/subscription sites) works via your actual location (gleaned from your IP address) rather than the Windows locations setting and so cannot be fooled in the same way. So just use a VPN.

Google playstore can be duped. Download "market enabler" (only works on a rooted phone) and you can pretend you are on any network in the world.

For websites there is normally an option to change the language, but in Thai it is all in script. Skyscanner is particularly annoying for this. You can always dump the site into google translate, work out where the dropdown is and work from there.

For skyscanner you will see a drop-down arrow to the right of the currency. This produces an options menu. The top left drop down will allow you to select language, the next drop-down down will allow you to change the currency and the darker of the 2 buttons is to "use these options".

Sites determine your location based upon your ip address. They then serve up the site in the language they associate with that location. (This is also how sites like the BBC stop you watching their programmes from outside the UK.)

If you connect via a proxy in your home country you'll get served the language the site thinks is appropriate for your country since it'll see the proxy's ip address - not yours.

I agree that it is particularly annoying when sites ignore my OS's (and browser's) language settings. I rarely spend more than a minute or two on such sites, if they can't be bothered to read my preferences and settings properly, I can't be bothered to read their site.

Skyscanner, however, always opens in English for me. The only (very minor) annoyance I have with it is that it doesn't seem to use a cookie to store your preferences, I always have to change the currency from £ to $.

Edited by bobl