Buying An Already Setup Online Website/company

mattk1

Hi there,

I guess I'm just after some views and opinions about this really. I have some spare money (not loads) but I would like to use it to gain some experience in e-commerce and website running.

I have always liked the idea of operating an online business but at this stage don't have the skill or creativity to start my own from scratch. To get around this I've been toying with the idea of buying an already set up website that I could just take over and use it to learn the ropes.

I'm not looking to become the next big thing, far from it. I would just like to have a crack at it if you like. I don't mind if I end up losing money on it either as I'm looking at it as more of a training exercise.

There are a few classifieds I have seen but none have really caught my interest so far. I will keep looking in the meantime but I just wondered what people's thoughts are about this. I.e. scams to watch out for such as pyramid schemes (or whatever the online equivalent is )etc.

Anyway if anyone has any tips or even a website they are looking to sell then please let me know. I'd be very interested to hear from you.

Cheers

smile.png so you want to throw a bunch of money out of the window ? good for you. it usually works the other way around. A website is a marketing tool.

Find,whatever it is you like to sell.

Look who is buying it and the way you can reach your audience.

These out-of-the-box e-commerce sites are usually a bit daft. have a look at templatemonster.com before someone sells a supposedly unique design to you.

successful websites are usually driven by a good idea. i doubt, you get something good from people who are promoting websites in the classified section.cheesy.gif.

• Like 1

Try selling stuff on eBay (or similar). You got to create 'compelling' content, learn how to do quality images, and deal with all the details of the 'transaction' - except you don't really have to know anything about how it works beneath the covers.

If you can find a source for products you want to sell, you can do that here in Thailand electronically - online order forms, email, fax, phone - and have them shipped from the source to buyer, so you don't have to get your hands dirty. You just got to hook 'em and real them in, sit back and wait for the money to roll in. Of course, if you can't hook 'em and real them in, then you suck at scamming selling.

If you can handle that, then you might be able to handle an actual website where you have to do the under the cover bits.

• Like 2

Under no circumstances should you buy an existing Limited Company here.

It is difficult enough in a civilised country to determine any hidden pre-existing liabilities that a Company may have already created, in Thailand it would be impossible. Even when indemnified by the existing shareholders/directors against loss to cover this risk, you would find it a nightmare to obtain any redress should it be necessary.

Far better to form a new corporate entity if you wish to trade as a Ltd Co.

• Like 2

As others have said, find your "niche" first, but if you fancy an off-the-shelf ready-to-go website, then try flippa.com. Buyer beware.

Bear in mind that you should also have your own Ltd company and WP here in Thailand to be able to "work" legally, whether it's online or offline. With the new hotlines in place, I foresee a number of "freelancers" getting into hot water soon.

Edited by Tatsujin
  • Like 1

I'd say the best course of action would be to immediately go to flippa.com

Find one of the websites that is guaranteeing to make you a millionaire within two or three months.

Look at your bank account summary and enter the balance amount into the Flippa bid field.

This way it will all be over within a few months, and you can then go about rebuilding your finances.

Edited by dave111223
  • Like 1

I build Wordpress websites they are very easy to update and use even for beginners. It will get u started but also not guaranteed to make money. It's all up to the amount of work you put into the site and how the site is SEO'd. PM me if you are still interested.smile.png

• Like 1