Need Recommendation Where To Buy/rent Suit In Pattaya

homeseeker

In March I will be attending a wedding in the UK. I live in Pattaya but have not owned or worn a suit for years. Can anyone please recommend where I can either buy or rent a good suit here. If I buy I hope not to pay too much.

So I really need a recommendation for a reputable tailor shop, alternatively does any department store in Pattaya have good suits for sale?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by homeseeker

I was hoping for a new thread about this.

My friend also needs a tailor, I remember reading a while ago that all the Indian tailors use the same place to have the work done, somewhere near South Pattaya market, does that ring a bell with anyone.

Its possible to go there direct

I use the tailor shop called "Ama Fashion" on corner Second Road (Sai Song) / Middle Pattaya Road (Pattaya Klang). It is on the left hand side when going down towards the beach.

They do everything for me, from shirts to business suits to special suits (actually bought one for a wedding last December) and price depends of course on the quality of the garnment that you will choose. As they do two fitting sessions for me, it takes 3-4 days until it is finished, but then it really fits perfect.

if you want a personal recommendation to the owner, PM me for more details

I did find the info I was looking for, a lot of the Indian so called tailors take their work to the soi beside Tukcom in south Pattaya, my friend had the matrial and went yesterday, he is getting the work done for a wopping 25% less than quoted by the Indian tailors around town

You can also buy the material you want in that area

Edited by bartender100

I have used AMA a few times, always pleased with their service.a nice suit around 6000 baht I believe

I did try the tailor to the left of TUK Com multi storey car park.........what a fiasco.....I went to the trouble of down-loading a photo of a jacket from a Saville Row tailor.....had it printed at the photo shop, and took it to the guy.....asked him to make a single button suit jacket exactly as the photo..........

And then the "fun" began......first problem the trousers were too short.......they bodged the adjustment......when the jacket was ready for a fitting I noticed that the fabrics were two entirely different shades.......so to be a nice farang I said don't worry make the correct colour and I will keep the others for casual use, along with two other pairs that I had ordered.....(that was ok until I get the invoice...he had quoted 800 each for trousers....then promptly charged me 900 . no discount for taking the extra pair) ....

When I finally got the suit home and tried it on.......the jacket has been made as a three button style i.e. highly cut lapels....with the button affixed where it would be on a two button jacket.looks ridiculous

I have told my fiance that I plan to take it back to the shop, put it on his counter, cut my losses and walk out, never to return.

Just another "expensive lesson in Paradise" .... where we seem to have no rights

Hey but the sun is shining....so not all "Bad" in the world

Edited by DD13

DD13's experience is why I wrote what I did. To order a one button suit and get a three button one speaks volumes about so many tailors here. But it also shows why it pays to go for as many fittings as you need to get the product you want rather than what they want to give you.

Never, ever leave the shop with a suit bag containing what you hope is the right thing. Take it out, check it and if it is not perfect don't pay. Made to measure is what it says, made to measure for you! So it should fit perfectly. The problem is so many tourists buy last minute and have to pick up their suits on the way home they don't have time to try. The tailors know this and can get away with stunts similar to the one pulled on DD13.

So if you are a tourist, go for a suit early in your holiday. If you live here the same applies. I told my tailor that I lived here and was in no hurry. At the first fitting the trouser pockets bowed. He said that it was normal, I said it wasn't. Guess who won. Last night I went for a second fitting and the jacket was finished and looked great. But I wanted working buttonholes on the sleeve which wasn't done. The jacket doesn't fit too well around the chest so we have a third fitting on Friday. Because he knows I can wait and has experienced my fussiness he did not try to tell me the jacket was fine, he just got on with pinning it for the tailor to adjust.

I have to say that with a little persistance Canali look like they will end up making me an excellent suit. 3-4 fittings should do it. Then I will order two more and half a dozen shirts. My boss is already talking about me taking him there to get a couple made. So they will end up doing well out of this.

So guys if you want a good suit bring a picture or know exactly what you want. Then be prepared to return 3-4 times and don't take their word for anything. Use your eyes and judgement. Check out someone like Daniel Craig wearing a suit. It will fit in the right places which is what you should demand from a tailor here. Mai ben rai does not cut it with a made to measure suit. And just because its cheap doesn't mean it has to be shoddy.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I seem to be hogging this thread but I thought I would report on the whole process of getting a suit made here. In my last post I had been for the second fitting. One week later I have had two more fittings. I went last night hoping to leave with my suit bag and nearly did. But on closer examination I thought that one shoulder was not quite right. It was minimal and I think 95% of people would, either not have noticed or accepted it. But since this thread is about made to measure and I have banged on about getting it right I felt no problem in saying no. The tailors face could not help falling a little but as I said to him," If you get it right first time then we don't have to keep doing it". This time a long conversation with the tailor, several photographs and pinning ensued. They want rid of me as much as I want the thing finished!!

So it will eventually turn out to be 5 fittings but I will get the suit I wanted and one that fits perfectly. I will post pictures when I get it on Wednesday (I hope).

Stay away from the scam artists in pattaya, poor quality and expensive. Go to a retail shop in the UK according to your budget and buy a suit there, except if you're a dwarf or 2m20 300kilo giant no need for tailor made crap

Edited by yoslim

Stay away from the scam artists in pattaya, poor quality and expensive. Go to a retail shop in the UK according to your budget and buy a suit there, except if you're a dwarf or 2m20 300kilo giant no need for tailor made crap

You obviously did'nt get the op's intention... a one-time suit for the wedding he will attend in the UK... and you can get a cheap, moderately fitting, custom made, pretty nice 6'000 Baht suit from local tailors here in Pattay (some recommendations where to go were given) and they will be ok for the mentioned one-time use... and I would wonder where in the UK you can get such a suit for 130£?

Of course, perfect fit and decent fabrics (as Sigurris mentioned and as I am also ordering when I need business suits) will cost more, but still are only 1/3 of what I pay for the same quality and fitting back in Switzerland.

I agree with most of what you say Swiss1960 but perfect fit does not cost more money, only more time. As long as you are prepared to go back several times, if necessary, you can have a suit that fits excellently. As for fabric, when I was doing my research all the tailors I met quoted for a suit and didn't differentiate with the fabric but that might be because I had a specific weave in mind. I am paying 7,000 baht but I opted for a more expensive lining, real button holes, lining in top pocket so it can be pulled out like a hanky, 4 zipped pockets and some writing embroidered into the underneath of the colour. The original suit was 6000 baht.

A lot of the fabrics the tailors show are rubbish but with a little research and a strong will you can get some fine fabric, just do some research on the internet if you don't know about fabric. Choose a fabric suitable for the environment you will be wearing it in. So, for me, a 100 weave was important as I live here and the 100 weave is the coolest fabric for a hot country (except perhaps linen but that is no good for a business suit). In the UK a 150 or 180 might be better or something that is wool worsted. There is alot of help on the web.

As Swiss1960 said you might have to pay a bit more for good fabric but the old adage applies, "the quality remains after the price is forgotten".

Hi Folks:

Well as a result of my post here and other research on the net I have found a place for a suit. I go for my 1st fitting later this week. Once I have the suit and have paid the remaining balance I will post details here of the name of the shop, the suit quality and the price etc.

Thanks again!

Homeseeker Good luck and don't forget; don't take it home until it fits perfectly. I finally got mine after five visits and I am very pleased with the end result. It fits in all the right places and looks alot more expensive than the 7,000 baht I paid. If he can find the same fabric in different colours I will definitely buy more.

Give AMA FASHION a visit. The Best tailor in Pattaya. you will not be disappointed. Prices are fair and his product is of the highest quality. They carry Holland and Sherry fabrics for suits.

They give close attention to detail and will go above and beyond that his customers are happy with the final product.

Thanks to all the helpful postings here especially Sigurris and I now have my suit and as promised can give the details.

The suit is in classic style. Its' dark blue. I asked the tailor about the weave and he told me 120. i will use the suit for the wedding in England but then I am back in Thailand, so if appropriate will use it here.

In total I went to the shop 5 times, the 3 visits in the middle were for the fittings.

The name of the shop is called Nini Tailors. The name of the tailor is Peter(a Sikh) and he is multi ligual and seems very professional and knows his job and about fabrics.

On my visits to the shop I noticed they seem to have quite a number of repeat customers.

Peter told me he does the cutting but the stitching is done elsewhere. On my fitting visits i waited for another tailor to come from elsewhere to do/help with the fit.

The shop is located immediately behind Royal Garden directly across the street namely 2nd road. Have to be careful as there is a similar shop with a similar name nearby and on one fitting visit i walked into the wrong place.

The suit cost is 3,600 baht.

I had a white shirt made and that was 700 baht. The tie 150 baht.

The father of the bride in England told me that his rental suit is costing more than what I am paying to buy the suit.

So once again:

I appreciate all the posts here.

Edited by homeseeker

Suits in M&S in UK are very reasonable price and are high quality.

They are not bespoke admittedly but from my experience, tailors in Thai are hit and miss. The shop that measures you up does not for most of the time make the suit, they cut the material and off it goes to a sweat shop and then back.

Try M&S when you get here,

Have a good time at the wedding

Good luck

"can you tell me how many days it took to make from first visit"

first visit to shop, placed order: 21 Feb

collected suit: 5 March

around 12 days, but I am sure they will do an express for you.

(thanks for the good luck breadbin).

Edited by homeseeker