Poll: Long Term Expats, Are You Fatter (Or Not) After Living In Thailand?

Jingthing

In search of the truth about "fatpats"  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

About the same, but I can vary as much as 20 kilos.

Various issues have caused the local diet to be irrelevant in the weight scheme.

Bad knees, accident recoveries or not, and my local family's historical ideas about

feast / famine; eat what you have when it's there because it might not be next week,

but now it always is etc.bI call for little or no white rice and get ignored, but occasionally

brown rice is made for me. But I try to limit that also. Genetics where the family is

historically larger at my age also plays a part. If I were back in europe, I'd likely be bigger,

but back in America no doubts worse still.

Edited by animatic

I can honestly say I have put on weight. But I would be unsure if it was from living in LOS or working offshore for the last 5 years. I find I don't do as much physical acitvity as I used to but coupled with being stuck on a rig where movement is limited, I can truthfuly say I have gone from 98 killos to 111 killos in 5 years

I first came to Thailand end of 2000 with Chevron working in BKK and the Benchamas Field. Supervising a crew of Thai workers had me running up and down stairs 11 hours a day so I was reasonably fit BUT really ate too much, whilst off shore, and that counteracted any exercise benefit. Retired from oil and gas in late 2003 at 92 kg (190 cm tall so not that heavy). 10 years on and a "permanent" resident of the Isaan rice paddies now sees me at 89 kg. AND no, I probably only have one Thai meal a week. Must have my Farang diet and a few beers every day!

Apparently not according the poll results so far. I find your comment odd. Do you live here? Don't you observe that many expats get fatter as they age? It's not another planet, you know. Unless you're talking Isaan. w00t.gif

I don't know why my specific situation is relevant, but I do know that this poll is far from scientific.

Since you asked, I lived in Thailand for almost two years. I worked out just as often as I did in the West -- moderately. I dropped weight immediately, maybe 7-8 kg in a month, let's say from 93 to 85-86.

My low point (on the scale) was about 83 kg lower than when I touched down in Thailand. I flattened out, so to speak, at 85-ish. Less dramatic losses occurred during my short visits.

Shortly after I returned to the West, with similar exercise patterns, I bounced back up to 91-92, where I am now.

In Thailand, every Westerner with whom I worked said that they lost weight naturally in Thailand. There's the basis for my non-scientific poll. If I had asked guys with whom I drank about it, the results would have likely been different.

With a Thai diet and the heat and humidity, it was natural for many of us to drop a few without trying.

Think he watches Oprah a lot.

By the way, why is rice fattening

I reckon the majority of modern people put on at least some weight as they get older. So living in Thailand might not necessarily have anything do with it.

Don't think so girlfriend, I'm the same weight now as when I first arrived here, it did dip a bit once through an illness, went down to 40 kilo, not something I want to go through again, now cruising at 55.

I'm little, and happy.

I wasn't referring to you or anyone else as an individual. BTW, why do you call me girlfriend? Are you an extremely camp homosexual man of the 1950's era?

Apparently not according the poll results so far. I find your comment odd. Do you live here? Don't you observe that many expats get fatter as they age? It's not another planet, you know. Unless you're talking Isaan. w00t.gif

I don't know why my specific situation is relevant, but I do know that this poll is far from scientific.

Since you asked, I lived in Thailand for almost two years. I worked out just as often as I did in the West -- moderately. I dropped weight immediately, maybe 7-8 kg in a month, let's say from 93 to 85-86.

My low point (on the scale) was about 83 kg lower than when I touched down in Thailand. I flattened out, so to speak, at 85-ish. Less dramatic losses occurred during my short visits.

Shortly after I returned to the West, with similar exercise patterns, I bounced back up to 91-92, where I am now.

In Thailand, every Westerner with whom I worked said that they lost weight naturally in Thailand. There's the basis for my non-scientific poll. If I had asked guys with whom I drank about it, the results would have likely been different.

With a Thai diet and the heat and humidity, it was natural for many of us to drop a few without trying.

I disagree with that, but everyone is different. Most expats i know gained weight (and considerably) the Thai diet is not healthy and neither are the beers.

Think he watches Oprah a lot.

By the way, why is rice fattening

I reckon the majority of modern people put on at least some weight as they get older. So living in Thailand might not necessarily have anything do with it.

Don't think so girlfriend, I'm the same weight now as when I first arrived here, it did dip a bit once through an illness, went down to 40 kilo, not something I want to go through again, now cruising at 55.

I'm little, and happy.

I wasn't referring to you or anyone else as an individual. BTW, why do you call me girlfriend? Are you an extremely camp homosexual man of the 1950's era?

Its carbs and fast carbs at that, some people have a problem handeling them. I am one of those after i cut out rice things really improved. For me medium carbs high protein works. But everyone is different.

Been here going on 9 years. First few years living and working in BKK definitely gained weight. Allot of beer drinking, eating fried foods. Since moving to Isaan last year have dropped 20 + kgs (high was 90 + kgs now at 70 kgs). Very little beer drinking, eating more sensibly are the main reasons. Feel great and hope to maintain my present weight.

I am retired for 3 years and semi retired for a while before that.

During the last year before I retired while working in Enn Zed I put on a lot of weight eating western cakes, biscuits etc.

I came back and lost a bit bit I have put it back on due to enjoying my food. my wife is a good Thai cook and does the evening meal, I eat fresh fruit and toast for breakfast and I make my own lunch.

My sort of hobby is making my own Ham, bacon, pate, bread, roast pork and roast lamb. this morning I made sausage rolls for the first time and later I want to try making cakes too.

I figure at 68 I will die one day so I may as well die fat and happy than miserable as a skinny calorie counter.

• Like 1

I disagree with that, but everyone is different. Most expats i know gained weight (and considerably) the Thai diet is not healthy and neither are the beers.

Way too many people in the U.S. and England, for example, are fat as phucque. Something like 25% of Americans are obese. I'm not far behind them.

Potatoes and cheese are available in Thailand but not as readily and economically. I'm too lazy and cheap to buy either often.

Regardless, weight statistics are not reliable independent indicators of health. Muscle weighs more than fat. Body fat percentages would interest me more. I've been with some tiny Thai women who are about as toned as Tone Loc.

Way too many people in the U.S. and England, for example, are fat as phucque. Something like 25% of Americans are obese. I'm not far behind them.

Already about 35 percent and quickly headed to 45 percent and if you add just overweight to obese, you're talking solid majorities already.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/18/us-obesity-2030-americans-obese_n_1893578.html

20+ years in Thailand and weight has been up and down as a yoyo.

Guess its simple maths.

Whatever you eat you must burn.

Whatever the balance over a few weeks will see you either gain or lose weight.

For me only two factors influence my weight.

The first is the amount of physical activity. This can change a lot for me due to having different jobs (actally same job but different stages from planning stage in the office to actual running around during implementation).

Second is stress level. Not the stress itself but how it influences eating habits. Lots of stress and I'm seldom hungry, and my overall calory intake lessens.

Overall, same cycles I had when still living in the West...

20+ years in Thailand and weight has been up and down as a yoyo.

Guess its simple maths.

Whatever you eat you must burn.

Whatever the balance over a few weeks will see you either gain or lose weight.

For me only two factors influence my weight.

The first is the amount of physical activity. This can change a lot for me due to having different jobs (actally same job but different stages from planning stage in the office to actual running around during implementation).

Second is stress level. Not the stress itself but how it influences eating habits. Lots of stress and I'm seldom hungry, and my overall calory intake lessens.

Overall, same cycles I had when still living in the West...

Monty, give it up! Stress put me through 100 cigarettes a day until I had 6 heart attacks, there's only 60% chance of surviving your first one! Thailand has saved my life! I'll learn to live with a little weight. thumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

Been here 5 years and did balloon from 75 to 90kg. This was unacceptable to me. I didn't want to be that type of expat so I went low carb. Very difficult for me because although I enjoy cooking from time to time, standing over a stove in a hot kitchen in a hot city every day is not my idea of fun.

Bottom line is that I've lost most of the excess kilos but my diet is somewhat uninspiring - no noodles, rice, bread - all of which I love with a passion. Now just eggs, chicken, pork, almonds, water and multi-vitamins

Was never really a drinker so no problem whatsoever to avoid beer (hate it anyway) but if forced, I'll have vodka and soda.

Hit the gym three or four times a week so my body is looking quite good and my clothes fit well.

Would love a Magnum ice-cream with almonds though.

Got here, walked everywhere, refused TukTuks/Taxis etc. Lived for 2 or 3 months up in the mountains, went from 95kg to 85kg. Exercised a lot, got to 81kg which was as low as I'd been for a long time. Gave up on the exercise, bought a motorbike, hung around 86/87kg for a few years, now jumped up to 93kg. My wife cooks too much good food.

I know to drop the weight, I need to exercise. One day.

• Like 1

Been here 5 years and did balloon from 75 to 90kg. This was unacceptable to me. I didn't want to be that type of expat so I went low carb. Very difficult for me because although I enjoy cooking from time to time, standing over a stove in a hot kitchen in a hot city every day is not my idea of fun.

Bottom line is that I've lost most of the excess kilos but my diet is somewhat uninspiring - no noodles, rice, bread - all of which I love with a passion. Now just eggs, chicken, pork, almonds, water and multi-vitamins

Was never really a drinker so no problem whatsoever to avoid beer (hate it anyway) but if forced, I'll have vodka and soda.

Hit the gym three or four times a week so my body is looking quite good and my clothes fit well.

Would love a Magnum ice-cream with almonds though.

Pefect example we can all loose the weight it just takes a lot of effort. Like you i also did not want to be "that" kind of expat you see too many that let themselves go. I always cared about myself looks and health why change it here just because girls always say your an handsome man even if they know its totally untrue.

• 2 weeks later...

I really should be fatter given my sedentary lifestyle but I started running as my main form of exercise and now I run regularly and do half marathons.

Edited by ianwuk

I'm on a slightly inconsistent but well intentioned weight loss and fitness drive just now and have been for the last couple of years as I was steadily creeping up.

Combination of age, stopping smoking, diet, lack of activity.

I'm 186cm with a broad build and at worst couple of years back had crept up to 115kg, now hovering in the mid to high 90's aiming for 90kg and some degree of fitness - I'd like to be able to run 10km.

I get the feeling its mainly age related - the inactivity is due to age, my career means more sitting than when I was younger, weight is definitively much harder to shift once you pass 40.....

I really should be fatter given my sedentary lifestyle but I started running as my main form of exercise and now I run regularly and do half marathons.

Ianwuk if I might ask(off topic slightly), how long did it take you to achieve half marathon level of fitness/stamina? And how fit were you when you started? I'm interested in trying running, but I'm unfit now, but still reasonably strong and interested to get an idea how long it might take to change that.

Edited by GooEng

I always return to the UK for a few months in the Summer quite a bit fatter than when I arrived at Swampy in October.

I put this down to lack of discipline in my lifestyle whilst here in the LOS ie. eating out and drinking daily, with no resource or intent towards exercise. It attracts me.

In the English summer I play golf a lot and cycle daily and also prepare my own food, with an eye on the healthy stuff. I am ready for it after months of epicurianism. It attracts me. This has been a continuous cycle for just over ten years now and represents a complete turn around in lifestyles by design. I rapidly lose all the excess in England. My "body clock" is used to this routine.

Not ideal, but it suits me. There must be others on here who adopt a similar approach, perhaps with less excess.

I once tried to lose weight whilst in Bkk. when I noted that I was struggling more than usual when fitting into my clothes. It was a flop, what with the, hard to avoid, booze factor.

I composed my drinker's lament in frustration:

I only had coffee for breakfast

And only had tea for my tea.

But the only time I lost any weight

Was when I had a pee.

Signed: Shaky Bill.

Just noted that this thread concerns long-term ex-pats only so, as a part-time ex-pat, I fail to qualify and have therefore not voted. Sorry.

Edited by Beechboy

Well it's been 2 years now since I've been living here full time.....not long term, but full term.

Arrived here @ 92kg.....and now @ 85kg.

Still drinking beer most days, but now getting a full night's sleep and being active around the house (6 rai) and looking after palm oil trees and lots of things too boring to mention.

Also have learnt to stop eating when I am full....regardless how much wonderful food is still on the table (or sometimes the floor).

Cheers.

I have put on 12 kgs since coming here 5 years ago (most in the last year though). I had to give up exercise as it was no good for me. After a run or workout I experienced shortness of breath, flushed face and excessive sweating. Now that can't be good for you so I stopped.

I have put on 12 kgs since coming here 5 years ago (most in the last year though). I had to give up exercise as it was no good for me. After a run or workout I experienced shortness of breath, flushed face and excessive sweating. Now that can't be good for you so I stopped.

Yes true, but neither is no exercise at all good for you.

A couple of very gentle fifteen minute sessions on an exercise bicycle each day will do wonders for your weight over a period of time @ about 150 calories per day lost ( a few more if done just after eating.) It will also improve your circulation, stimulate the the ticker and be very beneficial to your overall health.

You can also build up gradually if things are going well. Find your level, so to speak.

Exercise is exercise, it need not be vigorous.

Signed,

The green curry goddess.

Edited by Beechboy