Warn Tourists About Thai Driving Habits, Expert Says

webfact

most thai's just started driving forty years ago. and there are still no driving test up noreth and north east! just buy a car pay off a govt person and your gone! AND I have never in thirty years seen any traffic stops in bangkok for running red lights, driv9ng on the wreong side of the road! and such!

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

" many foreigners injured in traffic accidents thought all Thai motorists must stop at a red light, but when they did that they had a collision."

Who would have thought itsad.png .

That's a bit like expecting drivers to stop at a zebra crossing, and almost no one stops. As we all know, it's a battle of wits. The approaches to a zebra crossing are not even indicated on the road - just a small sign on a post.

Certainly, people should have it CLEARLY point out the difference between normal driving habits, laws and courtesy and what to expect here.

I was nearly wiped out on my motor bike, when I went to the centre of the road, signalling that I was going to turn right. Just in time, I looked again in my mirror, to see a truck hurtling past on my right.

I was told that it's a good policy here to pull over to the left, and then check both directions before driving across. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Why the tourists have to change their way of driving ?? I am sorry but a very deep change in the Thai society would be so much better , driving lessons , respect to others etc ...... It will save some Thai lives and will avoid many dead on roads. The main issue is to give proper instruction to Thai as there is a total lack of instruction. if the change must come ...change it with proper driving lessons ....

Sorry to disappoint you but that, however good intention, is not going to happen in the foreseeable future. Thai teachers cannot teach the children in schools, who is going to teach them in driving schools? other thais also with next to no knowledge of driving and traffic rules and laws? Remember in the eye of most thais, they do not need to be taught because they already know everything!

thai driving habits are bad

agree that everybody must be aware of the dangers of traffic , but it seems logically wiser to start with the root of the problem ,, the thai people on the road and the BIB

you can not tell me that travelers that drove halve the globe on their cycles are bad unaware drivers shame on the person who said so

educate and enforce the law

many have died because of stupidity and many will follow i fear

• Like 1

While driving my car through Chumphon I need to go through a roundabout to get to Big C, Tesco or Makro, and it is a nightmare from around 3pm till around 7pm, the roundabout was put in about a year ago and no-one has thought to educate the local drivers how to use it, I stop to give way to traffic on the roundabout, the cars behind just go around and cut the other cars off, then everyone gets annoyed because the roundabout is full and no one can move, the police have given up directing traffic on the roundabout, when they do direct its an exercise in futility.

Even the defender of all things Thai, Sorayut, (the morning news broadcaster on channel 3), said this morning that in essence, Thailand had lost face due to this incident as many countries had said Thailand was becoming known for its dangerous roads. Here is the broadcast if you want to watch it. It's the second video down. It's only in Thai.

http://www.doolakorn...2556-15440.html

The biatch on a Thai radio channel this morning just stopped short of saying it was the couples fault for not wearing bright clothing. mad.gif

She should tell all the Thais wearing black cycling clothes riding up and down Sukumvit..................coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Dear oh dear, so many people here who want to live in the third world but expect first world behaviour.

Get a grip chaps, the driving is far worse in neigbouring Cambodia but we adapt to survive.I have driven tens of thousands of ks here on motos and in cars and have only hit one cow and run over one moto driver.

We learn to drive ultra defensively but we also drive much like khmers much of the time, when in rome and all that.I drink drive nearly every night, go the wrong way down one way streets, often dont bother to stop at red lights, do the thirty degree turn, ride with the wife and two kids on the moto with no helmets etc etc.Most barangs drive exactly as I do, no point in the holier than thou attitude in asia.

Our roads are terrible, there are slow moving contraptions and cows,dogs,pedestrians wandering everywhere but there is one golden rule- never drive at night outside the city.

I have driven a lot in thailand as well and the roads are fantastic compared to cambodia and the drivers much better, yes its true!

We live in cambodia because it is still edgy and dangerous and undeveloped, the road manners of khmers are a constant source of entertainment.There is probably one main difference when it all goes wrong though, it is not always our fault, witnesses are honest and the police pretty even handed.

Thai forums are stacked with people who would really seem to be much happier at home and who cant accept that these are alien people with alien ways, most barangs say vive la difference and just get on with it.

There's no harm in wishing for better things in Thailand. If you did the same, your children might be safer on the road.

Dear oh dear, so many people here who want to live in the third world but expect first world behaviour.

Get a grip chaps, the driving is far worse in neigbouring Cambodia but we adapt to survive.I have driven tens of thousands of ks here on motos and in cars and have only hit one cow and run over one moto driver.

We learn to drive ultra defensively but we also drive much like khmers much of the time, when in rome and all that.I drink drive nearly every night, go the wrong way down one way streets, often dont bother to stop at red lights, do the thirty degree turn, ride with the wife and two kids on the moto with no helmets etc etc.Most barangs drive exactly as I do, no point in the holier than thou attitude in asia.

Our roads are terrible, there are slow moving contraptions and cows,dogs,pedestrians wandering everywhere but there is one golden rule- never drive at night outside the city.

I have driven a lot in thailand as well and the roads are fantastic compared to cambodia and the drivers much better, yes its true!

We live in cambodia because it is still edgy and dangerous and undeveloped, the road manners of khmers are a constant source of entertainment.There is probably one main difference when it all goes wrong though, it is not always our fault, witnesses are honest and the police pretty even handed.

Thai forums are stacked with people who would really seem to be much happier at home and who cant accept that these are alien people with alien ways, most barangs say vive la difference and just get on with it.

Why not, LOS issues first world licenses, insurance, etc, why don't the police enforce Thailand's road laws. PLEASE tell me, the laws are in place. Your opinion is welcome. thumbsup.gif

This aimed at the majority and not everybody.....

All over the world, drivers are the same.....they drink and drive (UK and Europe too), smoke joints (UK and Europe too), play with mobiles (UK and Europe too), put make-up on (UK and Europe too) look at their passengers while talking (This really pisses me off)...I've seen it all!! The Farang come here with their agressive atitude thinking they are the best drivers in the world....well news for you...you are not! I've seen more wobbly, never rode a bike in their life Farang, here than in any other country I have been to, and I've been to many!

Furthermore, the Thais don't get upset when someone make an honest mistake, they avoid the potential accident and drive on. That's what I have witnesed so far in my 2 years here. The farang hoot their horns, shout, and just want to cause a bigger problem (Unless the driver in front is bigger than them) :-)

Just drive careful, keep your eyes on the road and mirrors, and don't drink! And main point....learn to drive a bike before you get here.

And that's my 2 cents :-)

Your post reads like a Thai masquerading as a foreigner, and I have not met to many aggressive farang who weren't tourists. I did have an encounter this morning with a racist Thai male who felt like he needed to cut me off wherever I drove my motorcycle. Maybe he was trying to over compensate for something lacking...tongue.png

I'm not a Thai...I'm originally from the UK, but not been back for over 13 years. However, I want to say......What people have described as bad driving here, and only by the Thais is true, but all of us have these same bad habits. Most of you don't know you do them, and oblivious to who you have upset or annoyed. Most of my working days were spent driving around London, my god! The worst drivers in the world are there....and you think Thailand is bad!! Then 13 + years in the Czech republic....You think they drive better than here :-) People love to slag off other people, but they do the same as the people they are slagging off...they just don't know it. tongue.png back....

Yes, I think Thailand has bad drivers, especially when compared to London.

Oh, I know the motorcyclist in London white-line and do wheelies in heavy traffic, but at least they took an actual test for the license and have a few more brain cells.

I'm sure the Czech Republic is on par with here, but, again, with a few more cells upstairs.

Since I grew up on bikes and just hit 40k on the present ride, I don't need to "slag". Since I have no rights on the road, or in this country, and no one will help if I get in an accident, slagging is pointless. Being aware of the situation and stating the obvious is not. Thai drivers suck! Now, add the racism and indifference for anyone else on the road, minus the grey matter, and you have the perfect storm. coffee1.gif

Case in point; the 22 year old hottie who had her head crushed by a lorry on 340 last Saturday.

tongue.png

As a driver in Thailand, I have by now already reached NIRVANA status. What's that? Let me explain. I will be reborn because I have won so many merits during all my driving in Thailand. I have saved a few thousands of lives already, and the merit of saving so many lives must surely have earned me NIRVANA - status.

How I saved all these lives ?

The answer is simple : I in a thousands of occasions managed to react faster than the stupid idiot driver who was a second from crashing.

Thai roads are not worse or better than any roads worldwide. What is worse is the reckless and dreamerish driving style of most Thai motorists.

Only in Thailand they will pass you before a curve which you can't overrlook. Again, the explanation is simple: They wear such a strong buddhist amulett, it will bring them good luck. So don't you worry, drive up to your. You don't need mirrors on motorcycles, not looking both directions at crossings and can go through a red light. The amulett will protect you.

To the minister who wrote the intro: Excuse me, but you must be dreaming!

• Like 1

" many foreigners injured in traffic accidents thought all Thai motorists must stop at a red light, but when they did that they had a collision."

Who would have thought itsad.png .

That's a bit like expecting drivers to stop at a zebra crossing, and almost no one stops. As we all know, it's a battle of wits. The approaches to a zebra crossing are not even indicated on the road - just a small sign on a post.

Certainly, people should have it CLEARLY point out the difference between normal driving habits, laws and courtesy and what to expect here.

I was nearly wiped out on my motor bike, when I went to the centre of the road, signalling that I was going to turn right. Just in time, I looked again in my mirror, to see a truck hurtling past on my right.

I was told that it's a good policy here to pull over to the left, and then check both directions before driving across. rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the driving tip. I'll add that to my motorcycling tool box. thumbsup.gif

Just got back from dinner with some friends, all of them Thai. Some just got back from pattaya. My friends complained nonstop about the Thai drivers in pattaya for about 15 minutes. Comments such as "a stop sign is just a recommendation to those guys!" and "right of way means who has the most expensive car", and " the lane markers are just an FYI to those pattaya drivers"

As I listened to them talk, all i could think was,

now i have to convince my Thai buddies not to bash the their own drivers?blink.png

I give up! wai.gif

Good idea

Yes teach foreigners how to drive in Thailand, is easier than teaching a Thai to follow rules, let alone learn what is existing! Question: does that mean the police will turn a blind when a foreigner follows thai bad habits?

The police would'nt recognise bad driving habit if they saw one especially a bad Thai driving habit.

Loosely translated it says.

Thai's have no idea how to drive,and should never have been let loose near anything with an engine and wheels.

We drive on the wrong side of the road because we are too lazy to travel 20 meters on the right side of the road to turn right.

We never give way to anyone or anything as this would mean loosing our stupid face even if it means causing an accident .

We only overtake on blind bends never on straight stretches of road.

We either drive like maniacs at brake neck speed or at 10 klms an hour.

We have no width perception at all so we need at least a gap 5 meters wide.

We usually sh-t ourselves and have to flee the scene of the accident we have just caused because we are generally a bunch of cowards.

Traffic lights are for people with brains.Red light means Go

No doubt this list can be added to.

• Like 1

I'd like to share my "Near Death Motor Vehicle Accident Experience"

As a sidewalk bystander motor vehicle victim. The motor cycle accident happened in Rayong happened about exactly one year ago. I went to Thailand to visit a girl friend whose parents own rubber tree plantations. She took me to see an outdoor village market in the area of rubber tree plantations. Although there were a couple of local police keeping things in order at the market. I and my friend were standing on a side of the road waiting for a clear traffic to cross the road.

First of all, I am careful and an alert person when it comes to cross any streets in Thailand. My friend and I waited until the road was clear and while my friend was taking me by the hand to cross the road together, at that very moment there was two motor cycles colliding at the opposite side of the road and a motor cycle lose its control coming directly toward me where I was still standing on the road side. At that second I thought I would be dead. I saw flashing of my family in my head and I was telling myself that my family would not know that I was dead in Thailand because my friend does not have any information about my family in USA.

This accident took place in less than 30 seconds but there were so many things occurred, that I could hear people around me were screaming when they saw the motor cycle lunging toward me. I saw the condition of an old beat up motor cycle coming toward me and I thought that the front mud guard would puncture my stomach. It happened so fast that I could not move away. it hit me in the stomach and I was thrown in the air and landed on my back to the ground. Fortunately where I was standing was a soft ground not an asphalt pavement. I did not have a neck injury or any internal damage but a sprained finger and bruises on my pelvic area.

The motor cyclist who caused the accident did not have a driver license and not even an insurance and his motor cycle condition did not meet the traffic law standard. Signal lights did not work, no front and back lights and no mirrors. The biker told the police that he did not have any money to pay me my medical bills. I went to have a check up at an emergency room at Bangkok Rayong hospital which costed me 5,500 THB. So I told the biker that I would let him pay me back monthly by setting up an installment agreement to pay 50 THB monthly. He did not pay me at all from the first month.

I called the man and his wife told me that he did not have to money to pay me because he spent it all on drinking. He gave me a fake address and I could not find him. The police said that if I really wanted to go after him, I had to take him to court but I had to hire a lawyer. The police could only take the accident report and there was not much the police could help me.

Ever since that accident, I have become paranoid and I hate crossing streets in Bangkok. I almost got hit at a zebra stripe crossing section a few times after the accident even though I had rights of way to cross streets where designated crossing signs. I hate walking on the sidewalks in Bangkok where so many bikers riding on the sidewalks and there are too many food vendors obstructing the flow of pedestrian. It is tiring to go out taking a walk in Bangkok nowadays.

A sad tale but infortunately, all too common. The only time 99% of licensed Thai drivers will stop at a zebra crossing is at the test centre while they are doing their driving test. The joke here is that they stop even though there's no-one standing or using the zebra crossing at the test centre. This of course only applies to those Thai drivers who actually have a license ( which is probably the minority ) -- what about the thousands upon thousands who don't even have a license ?

Edited by finnomick1

I'd like to share my "Near Death Motor Vehicle Accident Experience"

As a sidewalk bystander motor vehicle victim. The motor cycle accident happened in Rayong happened about exactly one year ago. I went to Thailand to visit a girl friend whose parents own rubber tree plantations. She took me to see an outdoor village market in the area of rubber tree plantations. Although there were a couple of local police keeping things in order at the market. I and my friend were standing on a side of the road waiting for a clear traffic to cross the road.

First of all, I am careful and an alert person when it comes to cross any streets in Thailand. My friend and I waited until the road was clear and while my friend was taking me by the hand to cross the road together, at that very moment there was two motor cycles colliding at the opposite side of the road and a motor cycle lose its control coming directly toward me where I was still standing on the road side. At that second I thought I would be dead. I saw flashing of my family in my head and I was telling myself that my family would not know that I was dead in Thailand because my friend does not have any information about my family in USA.

This accident took place in less than 30 seconds but there were so many things occurred, that I could hear people around me were screaming when they saw the motor cycle lunging toward me. I saw the condition of an old beat up motor cycle coming toward me and I thought that the front mud guard would puncture my stomach. It happened so fast that I could not move away. it hit me in the stomach and I was thrown in the air and landed on my back to the ground. Fortunately where I was standing was a soft ground not an asphalt pavement. I did not have a neck injury or any internal damage but a sprained finger and bruises on my pelvic area.

The motor cyclist who caused the accident did not have a driver license and not even an insurance and his motor cycle condition did not meet the traffic law standard. Signal lights did not work, no front and back lights and no mirrors. The biker told the police that he did not have any money to pay me my medical bills. I went to have a check up at an emergency room at Bangkok Rayong hospital which costed me 5,500 THB. So I told the biker that I would let him pay me back monthly by setting up an installment agreement to pay 50 THB monthly. He did not pay me at all from the first month.

I called the man and his wife told me that he did not have to money to pay me because he spent it all on drinking. He gave me a fake address and I could not find him. The police said that if I really wanted to go after him, I had to take him to court but I had to hire a lawyer. The police could only take the accident report and there was not much the police could help me.

Ever since that accident, I have become paranoid and I hate crossing streets in Bangkok. I almost got hit at a zebra stripe crossing section a few times after the accident even though I had rights of way to cross streets where designated crossing signs. I hate walking on the sidewalks in Bangkok where so many bikers riding on the sidewalks and there are too many food vendors obstructing the flow of pedestrian. It is tiring to go out taking a walk in Bangkok nowadays.

A sad tale but infortunately, all too common. The only time 99% of licensed Thai drivers will stop at a zebra crossing is at the test centre while they are doing their driving test. The joke here is that they stop even though there's no-one standing or using the zebra crossing at the test centre. This of course only applies to those Thai drivers who actually have a license ( which is probably the minority ) -- what about the thousands upon thousands who don't even have a license ?

Look, they haven't even worked out how to draw reflective lines on the road that last longer than a single rainy season.

How about teaching Thais to drive properly before issuing a DL?

How many Thai drivers actually have real driving licences?????

In the past a Thai would be given a driving licence for life, no test or anything. How recently that changed to the current system I have no idea. Therefore it's going to take decades to rectify the problems. A Thai highway code would be a good starting point with it being mandatory that all new drivers or those requiring a renewal of their licences to take and pass a test on it before a licence is issued. However, won't hold my breath.

Actually, there is a paperback manual produced and available from the Transport Department's offices ( www.dlt.go.th ). I have what is now an old copy dated 2553. In the book, there are 119 pages of driving tips but unfortunately nothing about road signs etc. It's called " Road User Safety Tips ", is written in Thai so no excuse the population can't read it but is in the form of a comic rather than an instruction manual. Well, it IS a start. I wonder how many copies have actually been picked up nationwide ?

Last Night I drove into Lamplaimat from my house, got to the cross rd Lights and the lights said stop " red " straight on and right and go "green" straight on and right at the same time. This is on the major rd from Buriram to Korat. I sat there for a min with bike flying pass me and slowly turned right. What the flipping hell happened after i got through i don't know.

a snapshot of a typical day on the roads of thailand ="i have a car loaded with cheap fibreglass panels and no brakes or suspension/ a fortuner with all the exhaust system and air intake box removed and making a smog trail/ a bus or truck with 2 million multicoloured lights and of course, no exhaust plus the obligatory smoke trail. this means my love muscle is soooo much bigger than yours which means i will drive straight at you and force you off the road as youre a ferrang/on a bicycle/motorcycle/ or anyone who just happens to be in my way."

ive ridden 12,000km since nov. i often wonder how i make it to get back to my room most days/nights. im pretty sure i know how im going to die, just not sure when.

The biatch on a Thai radio channel this morning just stopped short of saying it was the couples fault for not wearing bright clothing. mad.gif

Hate to say it,but I have seen countless times on the roads both farang and Thai cycling in the late afternoon wearing dark clothing,no reflectors and many times no lights at night - Like really people, give your head a shake!

High Vis vest and markings on bike is the only safe way to ride.

On the other hand; the Thais should stop "selling" drivers licenses and start enforcing regulations......I wonder if the government realizes how much revenue they are potentially losing?..... unfortunately, these "government" based entities such as police,military et.. are in reality stand-alone,self regulated,tribal-like operations that make the organization and implementation of central policies and procedures at street-level near impossible.Any good intentions are soon devoured by a corrupt mind-set...and self-interest prevails.

Wishes to your children and your wife the best of luck, when you drive drunk, in the wrong direction over red traffic lights.
  • Like 2

Great display of the third-world mentalities of people on offer in the Kingdom: "'Some foreign news agencies have reported in a way that might make people think roads in Thailand are not safe.'"

Because the ROADS IN THAILAND ARE HORRIBLY UNSAFE, period. Thailand has dangerous and poorly-planned roads, drunk and undisciplined drivers, and a bevy of obstacles (soi dogs, anyone?) unseen in even the developed and even the developing world. Please, for the sake of anyone who hopes to survive in Thailand, you must UNDERSTAND/KNOW that the roads in Thailand are extremely dangerous. It's amazing to see that such primitive, regressive thinking regarding roadway accidents persists in a country that thinks it's modernizing.

• Like 2

One read these responses from government representatives and one can see clearly why nothing is ever done because one has to embrace and truly believe there is a problem before one can actually do something about it! And if, a official would actually step forward and say and do something it would clearly point at the Thais population that they don't actually know how to drive safely! They would tar and feather their reps!

What is a handbook going to do since the visitor and tourist isn't the one doing the driving!

Watch the Thai people who actually have the ability to change thing and watch them drive I have in Pattaya! Watch the officials coming out of City hall, watch the teacher coming or leaving the schools, watch the police, watch the workers at the hospital, watch the emergency workers etc.. etc.. these groups have the greatest impact to fix the problem but they talk about the problem and that is it!

I have teaching creditials for commercial vehicles, trucks, buses, towing aircrafts and motorbike license through the California Highway Patrol school before living here and if I was to give a driver test to anyone of these groups based on their own testing method I would fail 9 out of 10 people from the above group if I gave them a driving test instead of their own method,driving in circles!

When you have a culture that believes that driving is a Right! and not a Privilege you have a problem!

When you have a culture that believes that using your vehicle to move or scare another driver to move out of your way there is a problem.

When you have drivers that have no idea what a double yellow line is for? you have a problem?

When you have drivers that have no idea what to do when a emergency vehicle needs to get by you have a problem?

When you have drivers and police that have no idea why you don't sit on top of railroad tracks you hae a problem?

When you have drivers that have no idea what the speed limit is you have a problem.

In the end, when the people who run this country and can actually do something but truly don't know their own driving habits YOU GOT NOTHING BUT HOT AIR LIKE THE WEATHER IN THAILAND!

THE LAND OF SMILE ISN'T AS IT SEEMS! ITS IS THE LAND OF THE DEATH! UNTIL IT HITS THEIR POCKET BOOK! LIKE OTHERS HAVE SAID " STAY AWAY "

• Like 1

The only way to avoid Thailand dangerous driving habits is not to visit.

Taxi to pattaya anyone?

The last time I took a taxi to Pattaya.

1) The driver tried to extort ten times the road toll for the expressway.

2) The driver got stopped and fined 100 Baht for driving in the wrong lane.

3) The driver overshot the turning to Pattaya tai and so slowed down to do a U turn.

4) A truck coming up fast behind failed to slow down and rammed the taxi several times.

5) The driver tried to take evasive action by driving onto the oncoming lane

where he had a head on with a pick up truck.

6) My laptop and luggage survived and a passing motorcycle took me to my hotel.

No I will never again take a taxi to Pattaya.

• Like 1

I have often said driving in LOS is a nightmare. Just a couple of days ago I was 'recruited' to take hypochondriac mother-in-law to local hospital at Nong Wa Saw. Canceled lunch with farang friends. Turning into the ville, a dump truck in the fast lane only going about 30 Kph (supposed to be in slow, other lane) customized my 3 month old Chevy Z71. He claimed my fault because he could not stop in time, ugh, ahhh, urrrgh. My wife's ville, he looses, maybe, if his insurance actually pays. His ville, I probably loose. I was guppied into being ambulance for ting tong mother-in-law to Nong Bui Lam Phu, oh what a fun trip. Next day, no family member would go pick her up, you get the point, I did. I made a left turn at a no right turn light, from the left lane. No, No, No. Police very happy when he see farang inside. Says here is ticket, takes Thai drivers license and says follow me to cop shop. Luckily my wife standing outside hospital waiting as I drive up, gets in truck and we proceed to cop shop. She takes 500 baht from me at cop shop, says sow wow, stay in truck and goes inside. They wanted to arrest, 1000 baht etc. she told them where to get off, mother sick mak, mak, etc. and to keep the dam_n license. They got 300 baht. This was a farang scam. That being what is was, and a first time after several pleasant encounters at roadblocks etc. it still left a bitter taste. I used to love to drive in the states, and I can drive, drove many hot rods, latest was an '02 Camaro SS before I retired and moved fulltime. I hate driving in this country. Motorbikes and trucks with no lights, cut across your lane, turn in your lane, oh a flash of lights means I'm bigger than you therefore I have confiscated your lane to pass and you better get out of my way, etc., etc. it never ends. My wife just smiles and says "Thai people", my reply is dead people in the states. I realize that they have their own rhythm and yes we are different and don't adapt well. That still doesn't change the fact that most of them have no business even being on a back country road, walking, much less driving. Did I say driving in this country is a nightmare?

And for you that want to say if you don't like it go back to your own country, I've got something for you too. This is my home and I first came to SE Asia in 1966. You can take the unsaid rest however you want, up to you.

• Like 2