Warn Tourists About Thai Driving Habits, Expert Says

webfact

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A good idea, BUT I think it would be better to TRY to educate Thai drivers on proper driving habbits. This would mean more police involvement.

Educate yes, BUT using the police involvement to teach ???? when their M/cycle helmet is always undone when driving to fine someone for the same offence. Joke BUT I believe most of the education HAS to come from HOME--HOME no one is getting this point, WHY, the parents are sending their kids to an early grave because they don't care if they are under age---or have no crash hat---or insurance---or licence. this is the first line of ENFORCEMENT----after this then police--local licencing offices, schools.

really at the end of the day ..... how can you teach or try to teach thai's about road safety .... they just dont care or give a shit about anything ..... rule of the road here the bigger the vechile to more rights they have .....and for traffic red means sweet f/a .... i asked a thai once why he didn't buy a new bulb for his rear light ..... he asnswer was why .... ?? i dont want to see where iv'e been but where i'm going ..... ???

it can all be put into one word ...... thai'ness .............. they will never ever change ............because they think they are the best drivers in the world ...... ha ha ha .... wink.png

How about teaching Thais to drive properly before issuing a DL?

What license? 90% of them are not using one , nor do they carry insurance. The Gov't doesn't require them to have one and the bribes they pay to the police, go a long way to keep it from happening. They need to learn many other things before learning to drive properly!

I so love you all....you drive so intelligently, so considerate on the road, so law abiding, and so right!!

NOT!

None of us are perfect, no system is perfect, and no place is perfect......stop winging and live with it.

Why are so many people living here, but hate it!! I just don't understand.

• Like 1

I so love you all....you drive so intelligently, so considerate on the road, so law abiding, and so right!!

NOT!

None of us are perfect, no system is perfect, and no place is perfect......stop winging and live with it.

See post #248. Welcome to where ever you are.

NOT!

Must ask, are You Thai Yes/No. If yes l will inform you what would/will happen to you in UK if you drive there.

• Like 1

Why the tourists have to change their way of driving ??

Because you are a guest in their country? What makes you think you can visit any foreign country and expect them to start following your rules. I am sure that where ever you are from, your country has its quirks as well, and you would be very offended if a Thai came to visit and told you how to live your life.

• Like 2

Last Night I drove into Lamplaimat from my house, got to the cross rd Lights and the lights said stop " red " straight on and right and go "green" straight on and right at the same time. This is on the major rd from Buriram to Korat. I sat there for a min with bike flying pass me and slowly turned right. What the flipping hell happened after i got through i don't know.

In Lamphun there are lights with a green right turn arrow, which one would think mean that one has right of way to turn right, but vehicles are still coming straight through from the other side.

Last Night I drove into Lamplaimat from my house, got to the cross rd Lights and the lights said stop " red " straight on and right and go "green" straight on and right at the same time. This is on the major rd from Buriram to Korat. I sat there for a min with bike flying pass me and slowly turned right. What the flipping hell happened after i got through i don't know.

In Lamphun there are lights with a green right turn arrow, which one would think mean that one has right of way to turn right, but vehicles are still coming straight through from the other side.

I have often wondered about this, it is confusing to say the least, in the UK a green light no arrow means straight on left or if safe right turn, if it's a busy junction it will have a green right arrow in which case the oncoming traffic is on red 100%

Just another poorly thought out process that needs attention and lights in Thailand stay red/green far too long - no wonder the traffic flow is so bad

Just out of curiosity if there was a stupid idea category on TV would this one be in the running.

Can just see it all now.

We are going to Thailand we have to study up on there driving habits laws and patterns.

Given how dangerous the roads are here, it's reasonable that tourists are warned. I don't expect that many would take much notice.

The point being made by many posters is that the problem is not tourists but Thai drivers, vehicle condition and failure effectively to enforce the law. One poster, at least, has suggested that we adopt Thai standards and accept the status quo. But the dangers on the roads are not the same as accepting that Thai food is different from Western food. The roads are a death trap and I cannot go even the shortest distance without some stupid biker cutting in front of me.

Why the tourists have to change their way of driving ??

Because you are a guest in their country? What makes you think you can visit any foreign country and expect them to start following your rules. I am sure that where ever you are from, your country has its quirks as well, and you would be very offended if a Thai came to visit and told you how to live your life.

If somebody came to my country and suggested there may be ways to save thousands of lives I would at least listen. If on the other hand they suggested that it was preferable to multiply the death toll on the roads by a factor of 10 I would think they're an idiot.

• Like 2