Bangkok Tempts Hubris, Enters Its Tap Water In International Competition

webfact

Bangkok tempts hubris, enters its tap water in international competition

By Shane Danaher

berkleysprings.jpg

Photo: Berkley Springs International Water Tasting

BANGKOK: -- This weekend, Bangkok’s much-maligned tap water will go toe-to-toe with drinking water samples from around the world in the Berkley Springs International Water Tasting.

newsjs

The yearly event lines up “water connoisseurs,” who sample drinking water with the same weighty sense of self-importance that wine tasters often apply to sampling fruits of the vine.

Every year, drinking water samples from across the United States and from multiple locations abroad – including South Korea, Japan and Chile – compete for such distinctions as “best tap water” and “best packaging.”

Full story: http://www.coconutsb...al-competition/

-- COCONUTS Bangkok 2013-02-19

Tap water is drinkable in Bangkok ???????????????????? since when ?

In theory, it's been potable for a long time in most places, but I've never had the nerve to try it - at least knowingly.

Amen to that brother.

The proof is in the pudding.

how often are you offered tap water vs bottled water?

and how often do you accept?

In theory, it's been potable for a long time in most places, but I've never had the nerve to try it - at least knowingly.

Amen to that brother.

The proof is in the pudding.

how often are you offered tap water vs bottled water?

and how often do you accept?

The problem is when you are kindly offered a nice cold glass of water in an office building or something. Usually it's from a cooler, but??

One of our cleaning women always drank it and she survived, but here it tastes terrible chemical. I always wondered why my noodles taste so strange....it comes from the water....

• Like 1

Supposedly the Bangkok tap water is safe to drink. It's the aged municipal and private piping systems that dirty the water. Definitely don't touch the toxic tap water in Saraburi or Ayudthya. Corporate landfills and medical waste dumps are a plenty in those areas.

Recently there was a mishap with the steel stands that raise my plastic water tanks above ground and I took the opportunity to clean out the tanks while a new stand was constructed. There was a lot of crap at the bottom of both but no more than that I experienced when replacing a water tank in my home in the UK. I occasional use tap water to cook vegetables in and also use it to clean my teeth without any ill effects. Water purchased in carboys usually is used for cooking and always for making hot drinks. Just how safe this is is open to argument. Drinking water and making ice cubes is ALWAYS the bottled variety. I comfort myself that I am placing myself in less danger than those who habitually pay through the nose for drinks containing a known poison, and not infrequently drinking to excess.

From a different perspective think of those in the rural areas who collect rain water that has fallen on the roofs of their homes, store it in large open jars and used for all purposes. I can't say it has done any of my extended family much harm.

something not right about this article - they mentioned packageing, tap water has no package

I wondered that too. A visit to the main website for the testing bods confirms why. There are different categories of competition. Bangkok is entering the "Municipal Water" competition. There are also "Bottled still water", "Bottled Carbonated Water" and a couple of others I can't remember.

I hope the judges have good toilet paper handy, anyone that knowingly actually drinks the water is an idiot, even thais will not drink water directly from their taps. I would imagine it will be substituted by some enterprizing minister , probably got a few bottles of evian somewhere close by.cheesy.gif

We drink water from the tap - admittedly passing it through a filter first, but I find it to be good tasting water. Drunk it for ten years and never had a problem. A guy comes and cleans the filter every 3 months and replaces it every year.

Also drank rain water when upcountry and again it tasted good and never had any issues.

Though agreed with the comments about Ayuddyha water. Go there every month and taking a shower in that water leaves my eyes red and stinging. Smells foul, too. Wouldn't want to drink it.

I've been on a tour of the MWA facilities along Klong Prapa, and I was impressed. I have since been using the tap water for my coffee and brushing my teeth, had no problems. They did recommend not using the baht machines you find inside most moobaans.

You might want to be careful with that, I have heard and do believe the water is in excellent quality at the facility. But what happens after it is piped around the city is the disconcerting part.

I am not sure if you live in a apartment or condo building. But the water in these buildings is stored in large underground tanks and a pump brings you water and pressure. You dont know where the sewage from these building goes, but most plumbing here (sewage and potable water) are run in very close proximity to each other.