Leonardo Dicaprio Calls For Thai Govt And Yingluck To Ban Ivory Trade

webfact

"You know, elephants, we trade ivory, falang no understand". I await her sheepish response to why this shouldn't be outlawed.

Get Chalerm on the job: its a cultural tradition

"elepant, him hab big ivoly, dat mean big monee". Dit foleign elepant, maybe neegro, him no thai elepant, thai peepen make big monee

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After much fanfare, I predict that there will be a crackdown on ivory trade in Thailand. Chalerm will froth at the mouth, Yingluck will swoon at the thought of rubbing elbows with Leo and at the end of it all, nothing will be done to stop the ivory trade. Lip service is much cheaper than action.

• Like 1

Don't hold your breath Leo.

NO its ok Leo------ quote "we will give them a warning and maybe a second warning"----- OK Leo ,how's that for action?

having frightened the shit out of them all ivory trade finished------- Thank you and god bless you Yinluck

Wait

It's not banned in TL? blink.png

The more i know, the less I want to know sad.png

I was thinking the same thing. I thought there was an international ban on this barbaric business.

There is, but unfortunately Thailand's stance on most issues is "The UN is not my father".

It is illegal to trade ivory from African elephants in Thailand, but legal to trade ivory from Thai elephants. The result is of course that African ivory is smuggled into Thailand, where it is then claimed to originate from Thai elephants, and wupti, it all becomes legal.

Why it is legal to trade Thai ivory I think only Thais know - it may have to do with the infamous Thainess?

Greed.

Funny thing is I just been looking at an article about a well known politician who has a resort size home at Thanya Golf course and one of his state rooms has has an unusual number of magnificent full size tusks of an extraordinary size on display as mere ornaments. Not a good advert for young Leonardo's cause but am sure the said politician is a good mate of our beloved de facto pm in Dubai.

<snip>

Somkuan Maliwan, a representative from an ivory shop, said most ivoryproduct buyers were foreigners. "So, it will be hard to provide cooperation on this requirement. For others, we are willing to cooperate," she said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-19

So if a Thai comes into his ivory shop and says "I want to buy ivory", he will say "No have. I am cooperating with the requirements of DNP chief Theerapat Prayurasiddhi."

But if a farang says the same thing, he will say "How much do you want?".

blink.png

He must need his head looked as if he thinks anyone in Thailand will stop killing their wildlife and stop making money, that’s what the Ivory trade and tiger trade is all about money money and as we all know Thais are obsessed with greed and money.

• Like 1

Thailand steps up measures to prevent illegal ivory trade.

By Digital Media

20130219181634-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Feb 19 - Thailand's National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department has instructed local ivory traders to beware of involvement with the illegal ivory trade.

Deputy Director-General Theerapat Prayoonsit presided over a meeting of 60 local traders to educate them about the new regulations in order to prevent illegal ivory trade.

The department asked for cooperation from ivory traders not to sell ivory products to foreigners as the goods may be shipped to other countries and the action is against the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).

Mr Theerapat said 277 foreigners bought ivory from Thailand and were arrested in other countries, so the kingdom was branded as the centre of ivory trade and a transit route of African ivory trade.

Under the new regulations, ivory traders need to have certificates of origin to verify their products as well as commodity lists to report the amount of ivory and the products which are made from it. Sellers also have to keep record of their customers and have their papers identifying them.

The department will instruct traders across the country before February 21, when department officials will start inspecting traders' operations.

If they fail to follow the regulations, legal action will be taken against them. (MCOT online news).

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-02-19

By Digital Media

BANGKOK, Feb 19 - Thailand's National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department has instructed local ivory traders to beware of involvement with the illegal ivory trade.

Right on cue.

By Digital Media

Deputy Director-General Theerapat Prayoonsit presided over a meeting of 60 local traders to educate them about the new regulations in order to prevent illegal ivory trade.

The department asked for cooperation from ivory traders not to sell ivory products to foreigners as the goods may be shipped to other countries and the action is against the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).

Mr Theerapat said 277 foreigners bought ivory from Thailand and were arrested in other countries, so the kingdom was branded as the centre of ivory trade and a transit route of African ivory trade.

Under the new regulations, ivory traders need to have certificates of origin to verify their products as well as commodity lists to report the amount of ivory and the products which are made from it. Sellers also have to keep record of their customers and have their papers identifying them.

The department will instruct traders across the country before February 21, when department officials will start inspecting traders' operations.

If they fail to follow the regulations, legal action will be taken against them. (MCOT online news).

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-02-19

I guess a certificate of origin just got quite expensive.

Wait

It's not banned in TL? blink.png

The more i know, the less I want to know sad.png

I was thinking the same thing. I thought there was an international ban on this barbaric business.

From what I understand: It's illegal to kill elphants/rhinos for their ivory, BUT you can trade ivory from animals that die of natural causes. This might be old info. Anybody that has more information please share, as I am also a bit grey about this issue.

That is correct info.

However, it is not possible to see on the ivory how or why the elephant died, so all ivory from Thai elephants then in effect becomes legal. Further, it can be difficult to distinguish African and Thai ivory, unless properly examined, so African Ivory is easily traded as Thai ivory once it gets into Thailand.

Edited by monkeycountry

By Digital Media

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-02-19

Thailand in a nutshell. Instead of a complete ban, which will make it very hard for anyone to do business, Thailand as always opts for the muddy middle way, so business can continue, and everyone involved, including police and politicians, can collect bribes.

I am sure the customers will survive without ivory, so the only reason Thailand is doing it's best to eradicate elephants, is in order to protect the businesses of 60 ivory traders and some bribe collectors.

What a shameful day to be Thai - but in my humble opinion every day is!

Edited by monkeycountry

Just in case you were curious about the hypocrisy of this environmental phase Leo is going through, and the involvement of Thai government... From Wikipedia:

Controversy arose during the making of the film (The Beach) due to 20th Century Fox's bulldozing and landscaping of the natural beach setting of Ko Phi Phi Lee to make it more "paradise-like". The production altered some sand dunes and cleared some coconut trees and grass to widen the beach. Fox set aside a fund to reconstruct and return the beach to its natural state; however, lawsuits were filed by environmentalists who believed the damage to the ecosystem was permanent and restoration attempts had failed.[4]

The lawsuits dragged on for years. In 2006, Thailand's Supreme Court upheld an appellate court ruling that the filming had harmed the environment and ordered that damage assessments be made. Defendants in the case included 20th Century Fox and some Thai government officials.[5]

After the film premiered in Thailand in 2000, some Thai politicians were upset at the way Thailand was depicted in the film and called for it to be banned. The depiction of the drug culture was said to give Thailand a bad image and having a statue of Buddha in a bar was cited as "blasphemous".[6]

Just in case you were curious about the hypocrisy of this environmental phase Leo is going through, and the involvement of Thai government... From Wikipedia:

Controversy arose during the making of the film (The Beach) due to 20th Century Fox's bulldozing and landscaping of the natural beach setting of Ko Phi Phi Lee to make it more "paradise-like". The production altered some sand dunes and cleared some coconut trees and grass to widen the beach. Fox set aside a fund to reconstruct and return the beach to its natural state; however, lawsuits were filed by environmentalists who believed the damage to the ecosystem was permanent and restoration attempts had failed.[4]

The lawsuits dragged on for years. In 2006, Thailand's Supreme Court upheld an appellate court ruling that the filming had harmed the environment and ordered that damage assessments be made. Defendants in the case included 20th Century Fox and some Thai government officials.[5]

After the film premiered in Thailand in 2000, some Thai politicians were upset at the way Thailand was depicted in the film and called for it to be banned. The depiction of the drug culture was said to give Thailand a bad image and having a statue of Buddha in a bar was cited as "blasphemous".[6]

That was 13 years ago. Aren't people allowed to change or atone for their former mistakes?

Wow, the guy who was in 'The Beach' is barking orders at the Thai PM. So he's an authority on animal rights too. So gifted.

Funny thing is, the Thai PM will probably ask for his autograph first.

not barking just asking ... if anyone can stop trade good luck as we need this to stop .. so he has stood up and asked the PM and then he gets shit put on him from people like like .. 3 cheers for him

• Like 1

Wow, the guy who was in 'The Beach' is barking orders at the Thai PM. So he's an authority on animal rights too. So gifted.

He didn't bark orders, he asked! Big difference!

Why am I not surprised that they found this film bad for Thailand's image..

On the other hand, how many bars have you been into in Thailand and not seen a statue of the Buddha somewhere with candles and incense sticks, fruit and flowers displayed all over it?

Maybe they will have a arrest warrant ready for him or maybe ban him from entering the country.. cheesy.gif

Guess he has more money (and power) than you so good luck to him

Edited by BrianCR