Ten Kilograms Of Diamonds Stolen In Belgian Airport Heist

webfact

Diamonds stolen in Belgian airport heist

BRUSSELS: -- ARMED men made off with a shipment of diamonds as it was being loaded onto a plane at the Brussels airport, Belgian media report.

newsjsTen kilograms of diamonds with a value of 350 million euros ($A457.28 million) were stolen during the heist late Monday, the broadcaster VRT said, citing unnamed sources.

The thieves broke through a fence at the Belgian capital's main airport with two vehicles at 7:47pm local time, the airport said in a statement.

"The men in the car rode to a Swiss airplane where they stole valuable goods," it said.

"There was no shooting, and no one got injured. This lasted only a few minutes, and after that, they left the airport domain through the damaged fence."

The thieves targeted a van from the Brink's security company that was loading the diamonds on a plane bound for Zurich, media reports said.

A burned vehicle was later found on the outskirts of Brussels with police investigating whether it was one of the getaway cars.

Source: http://www.theaustra...6-1226581383356

-- THE AUSTRALIAN 2013-02-19

Facebook/Brussels airport (BRU)

9 hours ago

We can confirm that around 19.47h a few men managed to break through the fence at the airport with two cars. The men in the car rode to a Swiss airplane where they stole valuable goods. There was no shooting and no one got injured. This lasted only a few minutes and after that, they left the airport domain through the damaged fence.

The police has started a thorough investigation and the airport police is currently taking all the necessary actions. An on-site investigation is being carried out as part of the judicial inquiry.

The incident had no impact on the continuity of air traffic. The flight concerned has been cancelled.

Source: https://www.facebook...507736572603312

Helvetic Airways plane robbed in Brussels

Tuesday, 19 February, 2013, 10:07

A Helvetic Airways plane was the scene of an armed robbery in Brussels yesterday.

Gunmen are reported to have attacked staff members on the tarmac before making off with various goods.

Some media outlets report the goods included a chest of diamonds.

No one was hurt in the robbery but the plane didn’t travel to its planned destination of Zurich.

The robbers escaped through a gap in the fence which was broken.

Source: http://worldradio.ch...els.shtml?34676

-- World Radio Switzerland

Should read 50 million US dollars.

1 carat = 0.2 grams, 5,000 ct to a kg => 50,000 ct

1 ct = 1,000 USD (depending on size, quality, if they are cut already, etc)

Don't think you will get a 1 carat diamond for $ 1000 , if you can, can I order 10 please.

So many blood diamonds make it on to the market it would be fairly straight forward to weave these into the system. I am surprised the stones were uncut, normally they go to Belgium to be cut, then to Zurich to be placed in little trinkets. An average two carat stone these days will set you back $8k-$10K and for quality go much much higher. I know its not what these guys will get, but is the value of the product that would be made with them. Ouch !!

The good thing is the robbers didn't whack anyone. Will the movie be the follow on to the Italian Job.

Years ago I worked for Alcatel Space in Antwerp and used to commute every Friday back to London on a small prop plane. On each occasion, just before the plane was ready to take off from the small Antwerp airport, it would wait at the end of the runway. A van would then drive up and diamonds destined for the London market would be loaded aboard in the hold. The van would remain waiting until the plane had taken off.

This was a weekly occurance. I often thought about the millions of $ in diamonds just feet away from me in the hold - I would pass the journey trying to figure out a foolproof way to steal these rocks!

I never had time to put my master plan into action because my contract with Alcatel ended, but it would have involved a small, radio-controlled robot secreted away in a large box that was being sent to an anonymous mailbox in London .....

Simon

Years ago I worked for Alcatel Space in Antwerp and used to commute every Friday back to London on a small prop plane. On each occasion, just before the plane was ready to take off from the small Antwerp airport, it would wait at the end of the runway. A van would then drive up and diamonds destined for the London market would be loaded aboard in the hold. The van would remain waiting until the plane had taken off.

This was a weekly occurance. I often thought about the millions of $ in diamonds just feet away from me in the hold - I would pass the journey trying to figure out a foolproof way to steal these rocks!

I never had time to put my master plan into action because my contract with Alcatel ended, but it would have involved a small, radio-controlled robot secreted away in a large box that was being sent to an anonymous mailbox in London .....

Simon

And now, Thaivisa Investigators, I think we have our first lead on the Diamond Heist. smile.png

Ahhh Diamonds, sold em for many many years,loose and mounted. In the early 2000's when Australia, Canada, Russia and a host of other small places found new large diamond deposits, DeBeers was there to secure the monopoly. The stolen,obviously uncut diamonds will be assimilated into the controlled world supply without a ripple.

The synthetic Diamonds will get better and cheaper and find more technical uses. I personally like the synthetics more than the natural diamond, although a natural can still be lasered, re-bonded, coated, nuked and a host of other embellishments. But a synthetic arrives without need. And a person wearing a lab coat gets paid ,not the scrupulous dealers and other control freaks in charge. No blood on those stones either.