Health Ministry Aims To Raise I Qs Of Thai Kids

webfact

They can start by teaching something more in schools than just Buddhism and one important man. Many Thais don't even know where Singapore is, who is Hirohito was or even that the Vietnam war even existed. Those last 2 affected Thailand greatly.

Even basic jobs here are advertised with the criteria of uni degrees which just shows you how bad the mainstream education must be if employers are insisting on degrees just to work in shops.

Yet again another status busting, look good announcement by the ever funny Thai politicians.

I was not aware that all they teach in school here in Thailand is Buddhism.

I know there is Muslim schools that only teach Islam.

Are you telling me all those people working in 7/11 have a university degree.

Are you sure you have to have a university degree to sweep the street or pump out the drains on it.

I think you are a little bit short on geography your self. You are obviously not talking about Thailand.

Rintein has a grasp of the problem but added to his first sentence should have been remove thainess. Remove it because its a myth, did we have Siamess pre 30's. Its only just falls short of indoctrination, its about knowing your place in society and not questioning those you perceive to be higher up the thainess ladder than yourself. They start at an early age, only last week I saw certigficates handed out for the most beautiful wai performed by students. We all know we are supposed to wai higher to those higher in status than ourselves. Wai and prostrating yourself should not be necessary just a simple handshake or a bow for the selected few. Also discourage the use of mai pen rai as a response if you want the system to move forward. Allow people to air their greivances in the public arena. The first small step in the right direction was allowing the students to decide the length of their own hair.. Give them individuality, stop making them conform to outdated principals and ideals that only eventually allow the amaat here to carry on raping this country of its wealth as they have done for decades.

I thought Thailand was going to be an education hub. We were gonna teach those Singaporeans a thing or two....I guess notwhistling.gif

Both education (decent curriculum, teach kids to THINK) and health (healthy infant diet) would be good places to start...Thais would be better to look at their woeful performance on International exams rather than some culturally biased IQ tests anyway.

Mission impossible.

man get your departments in order:- Health is to look after the physical development of a child till the grave. Education department is to make available to this individual sufficient resources to help him interact and make up his mind. We are talking about creating rational intellectuals who can think for themselves...sounds dangerous for those without this development view in power!! A child that questions shows development... Intellect can only be developed when a child is given that space in education to question and debate. All other effort ...... useless Look at the fall of communism and those who stand to produce clones.....!!!

I thought Thailand was going to be an education hub. We were gonna teach those Singaporeans a thing or two....I guess notwhistling.gif

Both education (decent curriculum, teach kids to THINK) and health (healthy infant diet) would be good places to start...Thais would be better to look at their woeful performance on International exams rather than some culturally biased IQ tests anyway.

Thailand is the weakest in ASEAN in English. A hub has - logistics, communication and security. All these are riddled with moth holes and excuses.... The biggest lesson any child must learn is there is nothing called loosing face. You make a mistake it can be rectified! you repeat it only means you did not learn! People cannot be bought and prestige is knowledge of ones rights and fighting for ones fellowman...not cowing down and bribing to maintain "face".... just doing it means you lost your brain...not your face!

Edited by alanferdi
  • Like 1

You cannot raise intelligence with anything short of genetic engineering because general mental ability (GMA) is innate. You can, however, structure learning activities in such a way as to allow each individual the opportunity to maximize his/her natural potential. The title should read, "Health Ministry Aims to Raise the Academic Performance of Thai Kids." Unfortunately, perhaps, they are stuck with the level of intelligence they were born with.

It's a shame really.

The missus just the other day read some news article and said to me, "Thailand isn't the best country in Asean for English".

I said are you shocked? The answer was a laugh and "no not really".

Like others have posted how can IQ be raised when Thainess and knowing your place are King.

I will say again, It's a shame really.

Mission impossible.

man get your departments in order:- Health is to look after the physical development of a child till the grave. Education department is to make available to this individual sufficient resources to help him interact and make up his mind. We are talking about creating rational intellectuals who can think for themselves...sounds dangerous for those without this development view in power!! A child that questions shows development... Intellect can only be developed when a child is given that space in education to question and debate. All other effort ...... useless Look at the fall of communism and those who stand to produce clones.....!!!

Funny you should speak of clones here in Thailand.

Popscene was just replying to the article. He can't help it the government is clueless about education and a hack third world newspaper is the source of the information.

Another issue that certainly will not be raised, is how these children are brought up.

Countless thousands of kids are raised by elderly grandparents. The Thai

dad is long gone, and the mom is on a bar stool somewhere. As near as I can

tell, breast feeding is almost unheard of here as well. So the government would

have to make some major social changes to correct this issue.

I was coming to the same conclusion. you beat me to it.. I don't know what the percentages are of children being raised by grandparents, aunts and uncles, but it has to be pretty high.. this problem needs to be addressed. I'm sure studies have been done in the so called more devoloped countries, US, UK, Europe, etc., showing the correlation between child devolpment and family unity. But then again, we farangs don't understand Thailand.. whistling.gif

Edited by khaowong1

they just don't seem to have it in them to want learn more or progress. With an attitude of do a good job not get more money than do a bad job. as I see it in the not to distant future Thailand will be in the slow lane in the region. Its OK drilling into them non stop about how great they are but the reality is totally different.